Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Mafia General Discussion Thread

ReZourceman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, ignoring the specific issue itself, but I don't consider a decision by a GM that inspires lots of discussion just because it's controversial/unexpected/bad automatically a good decision for the fact it causes discussion. Anyone could run a game how they liked like that, and reason it's good because of all the discussion it's having.

For the record, ignoring the specific issue itself, but I don't consider a decision by a GM that inspires lots of discussion just because it's controversial/unexpected/bad automatically a good decision for the fact it causes discussion. Anyone could run a game how they liked like that, and reason it's good because of all the discussion it's having.

I agree to an extent. This is however the overreaction of the century.

I agree to an extent. This is however the overreaction of the century.

Nah, I'm pretty certain World War II as a reaction to World War I trumps this. :heh:

But yeah, I totally understand how you feel this is an overreaction, but you have to realise this is how people feel about it. We were excited about this Pokémafia specifically because it only included generation 1 Pokémon. This is like throwing Yoda into a Power Rangers mafia to us.

The GM lying to the players is a controversial element in a mafia game. It naturally occurs with hidden powers/mechanics and faulty investigations, but that is common and expected by the players. The problem arises when the very boundaries that we have accepted as the framwork within which the game plays out are suddenly shifted or broken down. The GM himself becomes untrustworthy, and seeing as the GM is the only trustworthy source of information we as players have, it can really ruin the feel of the game for some.

I think a general "rule" can be summed up like this: Twists and lies are totally fine as long as we have accepted their potential presence. We have to know to which extent the GM is trustworthy, otherwise we have no honest chance of playing the game properly.

As a great example, I actually think the Trust No One mafia was fine because we were well warned beforehand that even the GM was untrustworthy - it just took us a while to realise it. :heh:

To be fair I'm pretty sure that counts for last century. However, I agree on your point. I don't think you can judge this fairly ReZ, but as Danny says this IS what people feel. I was annoyed in Trust No One, but I expected it from the get-go anyhow which wasn't so bad.

Yeah but the whole point and reason why people wanted originals only was so they knew the Pokemon. I don't think there is anyone who doesn't know Ho-oh. I understand you

guys weren't expecting that, and I understand your reasoning. I seriously didn't even falter when doing the roles though, I didn't think it would be problem, even remotely. Anyway, we really had better not discuss it further yet. (Please) :) (So I'm saying I am sorry for the people that feel its ruined it partially, but....use context...and I didn't mean at all for it to be a "trick" even mildly. Seriously) And c'maaaaannnn this is a ReZ game! Theres always twisty bits.

And as someone else said, Ho-oh was in the anime. I know its separate, but this Pokemon was known early on in the world of Pokemon.

OH YEAH, THATS WHAT I WAS GOING TO ASK.

Would you guys prefer the next one be (mainly lol) Red and Blue Pokes again (i.e. 90%+) or would as many people play if it was about 60% RB and 40% GS)

I'd personally love to do a Black and White one, but I know that would be distinctly less popular and would be too damaging to participation for me to even consider it atm.

Edited by ReZourceman

To be fair I'm pretty sure that counts for last century. However, I agree on your point. I don't think you can judge this fairly ReZ, but as Danny says this IS what people feel. I was annoyed in Trust No One, but I expected it from the get-go anyhow which wasn't so bad.

Well, if we count from this date and a century back, World War I would exactly make it, so I went with it. :heh:

Yeah but the whole point and reason why people wanted originals only was so they knew the Pokemon. I don't think there is anyone who doesn't know Ho-oh. I understand you

guys weren't expecting that, and I understand your reasoning. I seriously didn't even falter when doing the roles though, I didn't think it would be problem, even remotely. Anyway, we really had better not discuss it further yet. (Please) :)

Of course. :) What needed to be said for now has been said. It's simply a matter of different views, not a case of you trying to be misleading (again). :heh: Plus, the fact that you understand how we feel is all we could really ask for. :)

[...] but....use context...and I didn't mean at all for it to be a "trick" even mildly. Seriously) And c'maaaaannnn this is a ReZ game! Theres always twisty bits.

And as someone else said, Ho-oh was in the anime. I know its separate, but this Pokemon was known early on in the world of Pokemon.

... And this is where our views on the matter couldn't be further apart. But let's move on now.

OH YEAH, THATS WHAT I WAS GOING TO ASK.

Would you guys prefer the next one be (mainly lol) Red and Blue Pokes again (i.e. 90%+) or would as many people play if it was about 60% RB and 40% GS)

I'd personally love to do a Black and White one, but I know that would be distinctly less popular and would be too damaging to participation for me to even consider it atm.

Well, the first generation will always be closest to my heart, but I'm up for whatever you throw at us. :) Except for your douchey twists! :heh:

1. We should really leave R&B feedback for when the game is actually finished. ReZ may give all the excuses he wants by then, and players should feel free to vent then. Who knows, they may even find a more rational way to express their disappointment.

2. @Heroes Mafia: Wut? Does this mean the Robot Mafia is next? :woops:

I raised it here as a general issue, I specifically didn't want to focus on any specific incident, just the nature of it. Danny seems to have gotten that point, at least.

Personally for future games I prefer a more R/B lineup, but a bit of second gen wouldn't be too terrible. It's just a bit more fun when you actually know about the pokemonz!

Currently active Mafia Games

Pokémafia 9 : Red and Blue (By ReZourceman)

Currently Signing up

Heroes Mafia (By The Peeps)

Signing Up Soon

Mafiawesome: Lucid Drift Mafia (By Jayseven)

Bare Bones Mafia II (By Dyson)

DC Comincs Mafia (By Paj Meen Ah)

Super Smash Bros Brawl 2 : Rematch (By Diageo)

The Robot Mafia (By Jonnas)

The 007 Mafia (By Nintendohnut)

High School TV Series Mafia (By Tales)

End of the World Mafia (By The Peeps)

TBC Mafia (By Dannyboy-the-Dane)

The Gentlemens Mafia II (By Jonnas)

Pokémafia X (title to be revealed, special tenth anniversary game) (By ReZourceman)

Pokémafia 11 (title to be revealed) (By ReZourceman

(I intend to let the next ~several~ people to queue join jump between the Pokémafias I've just added) ~obviously~

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!