NEurope
Retro_Link

The Amazing Spider-Man

I saw this on Monday at a press screening. That review is actually much more negative than most I've read. Check out Empire's review - I think it's much more accurate and fair with it's points. It only got 3 stars there, too, but the review is a little closer to 4 on reading I think. But yeah, Garfield is actually excellent, forget what they say there. Stone is great too. It's more character-driven than the previous film (which the Empire review picks up on) and I think it works.

I enjoyed the film, but it didn't blow me away in the same way that TDK and Avengers did. It was a solid first film, though, and I now look forward to the second one with much anticipation - they've got all the character-building stuff out the way now, much like the individual Avengers films, and they will be able to make it much more plot-based next time.

Oh, and stay for a bit - there's an after-credits scene. I didn't stay until the VERY end so I don't know if there's one then, though. OH! And Stan Lee's cameo is literally his best one yet. It's brilliant.

Two more things I've remembered: I found out that this was actually filmed in 3D rather than being converted afterwards. I was actually really impressed with it when it featured. It looked great.

Also, they played a trailer for Total Recall before the film, and it was longer than any others I've seen - it looks fantastic. Definitely going to see it.

I'm seeing this in DBOX on Tuesday.

Jealous mother fuckers. Although I am jealous Dohnut has already seen it.

Jealous? With all the average reviews this is getting? Nah. Now if you were seeing Dark Knight Rises next week...

Its got 79% on RT.

Anyway I was more referring to DBOX, as I gather only two places in the UK have it.

Yeah tbh I couldn't be less excited for this. Not even sure if I'll bother going to see it.

I must have missed something. Although I havn't actually looked at any reviews beyond a paragraph ones on RT. What is not appealing about it? Amazing actors, solid director, looks awesome....*?)*

I don't like reading reviews before seeing a film. For me it forms opinions in my mind that if cant ignore when I actually come to watch it. That might be why I was more satisfied with the film, but I don't know. The actors are brilliant in their roles, cinematically it really impressed me, and while it does feel like an introduction to a series with a necessary plot attached, it's still good fun. I mean, you can certainly NOT go and watch it but I don't think any self-respecting comic book fan should not see, especially if it's just based on the reviews. I often find I love films that most reviewers hate.

Its got nothing to do with the reviews for it, I haven't read any other than skim reading IGN's.

The film just doesn't look anything special to me. Story wise it's not really anything new/I pretty much know what to expect, and certain scenes look a little samey. I haven't found the 'humour' in the trailers funny, and The Lizard has really put me off the film; I just think it looks like he's been done really badly, and is my biggest issue with the movie.

I'd be happy to be won round by the film should I go see it; I certainly would want to like it, because I think Andrew Garfield looks like a great Spider Man. It's just I can't get excited for it atm.

Edited by Retro_Link

Its got nothing to do with the reviews for it, I haven't read any other than skim reading IGN's.

The film just doesn't look anything special to me. Story wise it's not really anything new/I pretty much know what to expect, and certain scenes look a little samey. I haven't found the 'humour' in the trailers funny, and The Lizard has really put me off the film; I just think it looks like he's been done really badly, and is my biggest issue with the movie.

I'd be happy to be won round by the film should I go see it; I certainly would want to like it, because I think Andrew Garfield looks like a great Spider Man. It's just I can't get excited for it atm.

I would say right away that the film is much funnier than the trailer suggest. There are some great moments that really made the audience laugh out loud when I watched it. None of them were in the trailer. Obviously the story isn't anything new, but when was it ever going to be? It's based on comics which you have undoubtedly read, I'm not sure how it could ever have been 'new'. Sadly in terms of the lizard I can't say much - I haven't read the comics and don't know about him in them. However I certainly didn't come away thinking that he was awful. As I said above, the story is much more character driven than the previous installments I think, so you it's as much about Ifans as it is about the CGI lizard. And the CGI Lizard really isn't bad at all, in fact, he was a genuine threat to Spiderman, which is a feeling I never really got from the previous films. Even in the 3rd film I felt like Spiderman was always going to win - in this one there was a strong element of 'ohshitohshitohshit' which worked well.

Anyway, I won't say anything else now. See it if you like, its up to you, but I would recommend it, even if it's so you can conclusively say you don't like it :D

You're right, a teenage american boy would realistically have a much more expensive looking costume :P

I'm going to watch it some time next week and I think I'm gonna enjoy it for what it is - a movie about one of my favourite superheroes. It might be quite average but that's okay with me. But I would have liked Lizard to look more like a lizard. He seems too humanoid in the trailers.

Apparently, the game based on this is rather good. Getting 7-8s most places. I'll get it when it's cheaper (and when I've completed Skyrim - Dawnguard, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter Tri, and Catherine).

You're right, a teenage american boy would realistically have a much more expensive looking costume :P

The poster makes it look immense, like the standup BIG things in my cinema. :)

True! but Sony do. :p

I'm just annoyed as I like Spiderman as a character but none of the films have satisfied me yet.

I'm seeing it in 3-D on Tuesday. I strangely wanted to watch it in 3-D, feels like when it's a spectacle-based film, but one I don't mind not being hugely invested in, I'll concede to 3-D.

This still has elements I like the idea of, but yeah, kinda as ambivalent about it as most others are.

Its real 3D, and they put a lot of thought into it, big rigs etc.....so....in those instances I "like" 3D. I enjoyed Transformers 3 which I believe used the same cameras.

I am seeing it in 3D in DBOX..........on Tuesday. JEALOUS.

Yeah it was filmed in 3D, unlike films like Thor in which 3D was added afterwards, digitally. It was one of the only 3D films I've seen where the 3D was good all the way through, great at times, and at no point (even during the darkest scenes) were things too dark to see.

@ReZourceman I don't know what DBOX is, but I am jealous.

I don't know what DBOX is, but I am jealous.

The chair has an in-built Rumble Pak.

I'm just annoyed as I like Spiderman as a character but none of the films have satisfied me yet.

I have the opposite feeling - I actually actively dislike Spider-Man as a character, but I enjoyed films 2 and 3.

Yeah it was filmed in 3D, unlike films like Thor in which 3D was added afterwards, digitally. It was one of the only 3D films I've seen where the 3D was good all the way through, great at times, and at no point (even during the darkest scenes) were things too dark to see.

@ReZourceman I don't know what DBOX is, but I am jealous.

Andrew Garfield wants Nick Fury to get in touch...

They really do have to make this happen. Just let Sony take a small percentage of the taking or something! It culd be so beneficial to both parties... and the draw potential of Spidey showing up would be huge and could even help a sequel surpass the first Avengers movie in terms of sales.

Edited by Retro_Link

Going to see this tonight with the missus, just booked two Prem seats and using my cinema loyalty card for teh first time (they just started using them) got a 25% "Tuesday" discount on my own ticket and 15% online discount for Joys ticket. Why didn't they change to an Odeon and have these Club cards sooner :heh:

Also I managed to get 200 extra reward points when I signed up for the CLub Card :D

They had 2 offers, one for 1.99euro with 100 introductory points and another for 9.99euro with 1000 introductory points and double points for first month.... of course I went for the 2nd option. But when I signed up only 200 points went into my account. I emailed them asking where my other 800 points went and instead of adding just the missing 800 points to my account they added 1000 points so now I have 1200 reward points before I bought the tickets for tonight :D

that looks awesome, wish my cinema would do an upgrade on one of their screens to add these in :D

Edited by Mokong

I'm off to see this tonight at half 10. I'm not that happy though as I have to see it in 3D, as its the only showing that my mates could make it to ( they finish work at 10 ). Still, at least it's half price on a Tuesday. :D

Oh anyone know if there is a mid or after credits scene I need to be aware of beforehand?

I'm off to see this tonight at half 10. I'm not that happy though as I have to see it in 3D, as its the only showing that my mates could make it to ( they finish work at 10 ). Still, at least it's half price on a Tuesday. :D

It was filmed in 3D and for once the 3D doesn't make everything really dark. It's one of the best films I've seen in 3D. So unless you have an issue with headaches etc (I know people get that) then you shouldn't be too disappointed.

It was filmed in 3D and for once the 3D doesn't make everything really dark. It's one of the best films I've seen in 3D. So unless you have an issue with headaches etc (I know people get that) then you shouldn't be too disappointed.

Sounds good then. I don't get headaches ( unless its the 3DS ) I just don't get the attraction of 3D. I'd much prefer to watch something in 2D.

Oh anyone know if there is a mid or after credits scene I need to be aware of beforehand?

Also..this^