Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Space and the Universe

Jimbob

That video makes me want to break out the bong.

The Hamlet quote "What a piece of work is a man" at 5:45 seems so out of place too considering in the actual play it fits in a pretty sinister context.

Edited by The Bard

Well I was recently reading Stephen Hawking's book, The Grand Design. And he describes how gravity allows the appearance of matter from nothing on a global level, but not a local level. This is due to gravity being a negative force and the creation of matter being a positive force.

Anyway, it all sounds very good, but I'm not sure I understand it, and was hoping people could help me shed some light on it.

Well I understood the basic premise, but I didn't really see how it made sense. But I think that's the point. Quantum physics doesn't work in the way we are accustomed to in this macro environment, so it requires a sort of suspension of disbelief. Or an acceptance that the evidence says it must work that way even though it works counter intuitively.

I have read the book "Quantum Enigma - Physics encounters consciousness" by Bruce Roseblum and Fred Kuttner, which actually gives a good introduction to the thoughts of quantum mechanics. You should consider giving that book a go, it enlightens the basic premise of QM rather well.

Yeah, I'm no physicist and haven't read Hawking's book - my only advanced knowledge of quantum physics comes from the bits and pieces of Schrödinger's equation etc. they taught me in chemistry undergrad. You guys really need someone like @Ginger_Chris, who still appears here occasionally.

Still, I never understood why people expect things to be even remotely intuitive at the quantum level...