N-Europe

Japan's Bid for World Cup 2022 - Holographic Matches

Dante

Gizmodo =

With the 2010 World Cup a distant memory, Japan has started preparations for its 2022 World Cup bid. Judging by what they're showing FIFA, it's going to be ridiculously futuristic. Like real-time holographic matches beamed across the world futuristic.

Fans will gather in stadiums around the world and Japan will show a holographic version of the match, in real-time, on the field. Players will run, stars will score and fans will cheer—it'll be as close as you can get to watching the real thing.

Japan also plans to use buzzword technologies like augmented reality and 3D to complement the beautiful game and introduce newer tech like an automatic audio translation system and "Freeviewpoint Vision" (a more versatile version of the NFL's Skycam). No word on whether they can convince FIFA to take on replay by then though.

But the competition to host the 2022 World Cup will be stiff. There are a ton of countries in the running—the US, England, Spain and Portugal, Australia, and others—and since Japan co-hosted in 2002 and FIFA isn't exactly known for being technology friendly, we may not see the awesomeness just yet. And here marks the first time I root against America.

Think Japan could make the tech?

Well its certainly more interesting than England's bid for 2018.

David Beckham: "Umm yeah we're the home of football and umm yeah we should get it."

David Beckham: "Look at are logo face is simple!"

England_20182022_biddinglogo.jpg

David Beckham: "oooh a black bird!"

Japan_2022_bid_logo.jpg

Well, that would be interesting. But it would be a massive undertaking, charging tickets across the world.

Plus, wouldn't this technology render the host nation useless?

Anyway, I don't even know what the Iberian Peninsula is selling, here. I think we should go with "we're European and South American at the same time", but what the hell do I know?