NEurope
Cubechris

Halo Discussion

this game does looked pretty sweet cant wait to show everybody im the first one in town to hear about something like this! pretty crazy stuff but with a town of about 2000 i guess its gonna happen...

Cool teaser trailer, the music gave me goosebumps. The XBL servers are getting hit hard so you can just download the trailer from the Bungie site here: http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=Halo3Announcement

There's also extra info on the trailer.

The trailer is awesome. I downloaded it last night and have watched it many times. The music also gave me goosebumps especially when it kicks when when the Covenant are sweeping towards the big ship.

Thats definatly in game, it doesnt look over the top like some games *cough*8 days *cough*

More halo3 news from gamespot:

Shortly after Microsoft's presentation, we had an opportunity to get a close-up look at Halo 3 with Bungie representatives. We spoke with Brian Gerrard, one of Bungie's community managers, as well as CJ Cowan, the studio's cinematics director. Cowan stated that the trailer was a good example of where Halo 3 is going, in terms of fiction. By that, he means that the story is epic in scale, but dark as well, and Bungie is going for a distinct mood, since Halo 3 will represent the end of the trilogy.

The Bungie representatives made it clear to us that the trailer was running in real-time on the Xbox 360. The trailer is set in the African desert, and it was taken from roughly a third of the way through the game. Cowan noted that the constant battling has taken its toll on Master Chief, and you can see that by the many scratches and gouges in his armor. The flashes of Cortana seen in the trailer fill you in on the state of her mind, and the Forerunner structure seen in the distance at the end of the trailer represents a pivotal point in the story.

We next met with Marcus Lehto, Bungie's art director, who filled us in on the technology as he gave us a fly through of the locations in the trailer. The crater seen in the trailer is three miles across, and it's all rendered in real geometry. Halo 3 has a new global lighting system that now lights everything uniquely from the same source, which explains just how that setting sun looked that good as it illuminated everything in the trailer. Halo 2, on the other hand, used a lighting system that lit everything separately. Meanwhile, parallax mapping is able to give depth to structures in the distance, such as the clouds above the crater. A new particle system offers different levels of light diffusion to take the quality of the atmosphere into account, and that makes for different layers of light.

The demo shifted away from the crater to the part of the level you see the Master Chief walking in from. He was controllable, which means that the trailer indicates just how good the game will look. Lehto was able to zoom in on the Master Chief with the camera, and you could see the many different ways light reflected objects onto him. For example, you could see light reflect off the ground and onto his armor. A new materials system shows the difference between his armor and the rubber undersuit. It's so detailed that if you bring the camera close to the Master Chief's visor, you see everything in front of him reflected in it, right down to the ammo counter in his rifle.

[uPDATE 2] An update to the official Bungie site, Bungie.net, also gave some hints as to why Cortana appeared to be making semi-sinister statements. "The Master Chief's AI companion Cortana is still trapped in the clutches of the Gravemind--a horrifying Flood intelligence, and a civil war is raging in the heart of the Covenant," read the plot description on the brand-new Halo 3 site. Following the abrupt end of Halo 2, it was unclear if Cortana had been corrupted by the Gravemind or had been destroyed altogether.

Cowan also talked about Cortana's ambiguous status in a Bungie.net article. "Given the variety of character and story arcs at the end of Halo 2, we wanted to boil down our announcement to a few key threads," he said. "Cortana and the Chief being a galaxy apart is a situation we haven't seen before, and is something that is a powerful component to Halo 3. We are using her transmissions in the demo to give the viewer a few subtle clues to her situation and state of mind, without revealing any specifics we want to save for the game itself."

damn need to play 1 and 2 bfore i delve into this game. ive heard so many good things about halo

damn need to play 1 and 2 bfore i delve into this game. ive heard so many good things about halo

You have to play both these games. Halo 1 is better for single player but Halo2 ruled my life when I first got Live due to its multi-player aspects.

you've never played halo before...

you've never played halo before...

The lucky bastard.

Btw haven't seen you in some time, welcome back (that's if you ever really left).

Like I said nothing unexpected. Game is probably too early, the video had awesome music and very cinematic, but had next to nothing. A Master Chief walking and some ships show next to nothing. If it's like 1 I'll hate it, if it's like I2 I'll love it, so let's wait and see.

Btw haven't seen you in some time, welcome back (that's if you ever really left).

thanx yah i was gone for a while, sold my computer saved money to build one and finally got it complete and now im back!

Like I said nothing unexpected. Game is probably too early, the video had awesome music and very cinematic, but had next to nothing. A Master Chief walking and some ships show next to nothing. If it's like 1 I'll hate it, if it's like I2 I'll love it, so let's wait and see.

Other way round for me 1 was great, 2 just wanst as goood, the dual wildering was a bit tacky.

My one friend is convinced that when MC walks out he's holding the original Assault Rifle. I don't think it is, but feel free to prove me wrong.

He is. A promo image of Chief in Halo 3:

h3_cutout002.gif

Halo 1's assault rifle:

Assault%20Rifle.jpeg

If he's not carrying an assault rifle it's certainly extremely similar to one.

if it is thats cool and good they brought it back (or was it in the second one? i dont member haha) i like the original assault rifle

if it is thats cool and good they brought it back (or was it in the second one? i dont member haha) i like the original assault rifle

I agree the assault rifle in the first game was far better. Man I cant stop watching the trailer just for the music alone.

Same, that trailer is impressive, the music gave me the shivers and close to crying. If they can reproduce those graphics on the 360 then I might be sold.

Same, that trailer is impressive, the music gave me the shivers and close to crying. If they can reproduce those graphics on the 360 then I might be sold.

It already is running on a 360.

Is anyone planning on watching Braveheart tomorrow night when it's on TV?

You mean all of us sitting in the lobby and generally chatting bollocks and making CVD say all the best quotes.

Hell yeah.

Yep, 9pm tomorrow night I think. I'm not at school on Monday so i'll be able to stay up late :heh:

I know it's already running on a 360, I meant if they can add AI, physics and etc without sacrificing graphics.

The music was very good. And the graphic are all in game. :D

I do know that, they did say it was done without AI, gameplay and physics.

All I want to know is can they keep those graphics with the added AI and etc.