NEurope
Daft

Tron Legacy

Sadly, in China everything new and high-tech is supposed to be great. Even if it really isn't.

This whole affair smacks of trying to find something good in a mound of crap.

It wasn't a horrible cinema experience, but I GENUINELY (all "film student views" aside) don't feel like I could recommend it to anyone.

I hope a ride based on it appears in a Disney theme park though.

It's one of a few rare examples where the film was made for the fans of the original. If it was a new outing then it probably would've achieved much more. You couldn't recommend it to anyone because you don't know anyone who has seen the first film. As I said in my first post, I think seeing the first film is pretty necessary to get the most out of this experience.

In both cases - newcomers and old skool diehards - the film could've been better. It trod a line that tried too much. Truthfully, I think the Tron universe is one so utterly unexplored that I'd love to see another movie... But one that was far more serious about actually exploring the concept rather than trying to pander to multiple audiences.

Which will never happen. It's the perfect "oh, if I had made it then..." film. The original wasn't much dissimilar.

Half the people I saw it with had seen the original.

It got incredibly mixed responses from the group (all of us film students) - one girl and I agreed completely (views expressed here), 2 were indifferent, 3 loved it in a "oh the original was the same!" way, and one is insane so his views don't count. :p

Considering my new fascination is when things are intentionally shit/camp/OTT, this was just...no. Take it away from me.

The fact the universe wasn't explored was one of it's major failings. It may as well have been set in the real world tbh, it so ignored the one it "established".

The only good action scene was the aerial bit. The rest was bland and boring, with bad dialogue inserted everywhere. Nothing fun happened. It was disappointingly visually uninteresting. Bleh.

Aerial scene was second to the bike scene, which was after teh lots-of-games-and-tron scene. You're so silly.

There was club fight scene, but it was hard to see it through my facepalm.

I'm gonna see this tonight. I'm prepared for it to be pretty much unwatchable and a complete waste of time after having read this thread. :wink:

VaJayJay, I have to massively disagree with you about the club scene. I loved every second of it. Also, Zoos/Zeus/Zuse was one of my favourite characters in the film, aaahahah. He was David Bowie's digital representation. :heh:

I challenge you to a disc battle.

Film students ruin film viewing experiences.

I wouldn't say studying and having an appreciation and interest in film craft and theory "ruins" anything.

I like a whole lot of bad films, for lots of reasons. This was bad, and I didn't like it, but I might've done if it were a little bit different/entertaining in it's shiteness.

Film students ruin film viewing experiences.

Yeah, I wouldn't agree with this either. From an objective standpoint, there are countless things wrong with this film. That doesn't stop it rocking my world.

I think the biggest problem is that there is an absurd amount of potential wasted on a fairly solid concept. Personally, this wasn't a problem for me. It looks and sounds siiiick. It was like an extended concept short. Yeah, it could have been way better but lets be honest it's a Disney film about a subject that Disney generally blow at. Anyone expecting more was going to be bitterly disappointed.

I want to see it again.

Yeah, I wouldn't agree with this either. From an objective standpoint, there are countless things wrong with this film. That doesn't stop it rocking my world.

I think the biggest problem is that there is an absurd amount of potential wasted on a fairly solid concept. Personally, this wasn't a problem for me. It looks and sounds siiiick. It was like an extended concept short. Yeah, it could have been way better but lets be honest it's a Disney film about a subject that Disney generally blow at. Anyone expecting more was going to be bitterly disappointed.

I want to see it again.

Aye. Imagine if this was directed by Ridley Scott. Could have been right up there with Blade Runner.

Christ, yeah. In competent hands I don't dare to think what awesomeness could have been done. It's a real shame because I can't think of any other film like Tron.

Darren Arnofsky and dave fincher at the helm. Mmm! :P

I didn't like the bowie impression because it was too obvious, and too giggly. Bowie was stylish and cool, man.

They should have just got David Bowie to do it. He rocks. Zoolander, The Prestige, Yojimbo - he can act.

And, I'd have Aronofsky direct any film. So looking forward to Black Swan.

They should have just got David Bowie to do it. He rocks. Zoolander, The Prestige, Yojimbo - he can act.

And, I'd have Aronofsky direct any film. So looking forward to Black Swan.

Agreed, Black Swan is looking great from the little bits I've seen so far.

Anyway, went and saw this earlier. Loved it. I did like the first one so perhaps that was a given. But then my brother, who hasn't seen the original, loved this as well.

Yes, there were flaws which were pretty apparent throughout the entirety of the film but I just didn't care about them as I just thought it was great. I thought everything just gelled together really well. And that soundtrack was utterly superb, even sneaking in some Journey in the Arcade as well which is always a plus point for any movie.

I genuinely want to go and see it again now. Really enjoyed it. And I :heart: Olivia Wilde. Loved her in the OC and haven't seen her in anything since so nice to see her back on a screen of any form.

Would have liked some old-skool design in this. The 'old' helmets looked very sci-fi so the daft punkathon seemed (to me) a bit...jaunting. (but cool.)

Still, having loved the original I was surprised it came out now in teh futurez anyway.

Trilogy? Tron's still swimming no?

The guy I went to see this with is convinced CGI Jeff Bridges looks like Breckin Meyer. Anyone else...?

Meyer-Bridges-Tron.jpg

Trilogy? Tron's still swimming no?

I thought so too but surely the Grid and everything was wiped out...?

I didn't know Thirteen would be in this, a nice surprise.

I'd honestly love a third film in another 20 years, but I doubt hollywood is capable of being awesome in that way.

Since Legacy didn't actually really push anything that new compared to the first one I'd like to see a follow up to this and then a super massive gap until they release a fourth one when, like, instead of 3D, Hollywood is obsessed with holograms or some shit.

Film was meh. What I want to know is: Why do all Hollywood films insist on cutting to the actors for a quick laugh or "wooo!" several times in flight/race scenes? It adds nothing and makes the characters look like smug twats.

Also:

tron_legacy-olivia-wilde.jpg

Those are the only two observations I have about the film really.