NEurope
Daft

Tron Legacy

There's an interview with DP about the soundtrack (and other things I'd imagine but I flicked) in Dazed and Confused and the pictures are all in 3D.

Random factoid.

There are some pretty good remixes of Derezzed on Youtube if I may say so.

Edited by The Lillster

MY REVIEW BY HENRY GRAY or... TRON: MEHGACY

SUMMARY - Crap.

PRO's

- Visually pretty stunning. My first IMAX experience, and the 3-D was used nicely, and sparingly/only when appropriate. So that added too. Lots of nice neon things and very interesting design overall.

- Daft Punk's score was incredibly appealing and unique. Definitely a score that you are aware is stunning you whilst you watch.

CONS

- Everything else.

- Story was a mess. Haven't seen the first, but they kinda explain it (and presumably expect 90% of the audience not to have seen it either), badly. Atrocious, atrocious script. I was guessing what they'd say, thinking "Please don't...yep, they did." Disgraceful. Story/plot was just...meh. It was just there. What annoyed me most was the fact they went to such expense to create this visual treat of a world/universe in "The Grid" and then did NOTHING to show it as a living place. I wasn't sure if the "programs" had lives...or were they constructs like the matrix? Bad bad bad. I assume they had "lives" just based on the fact SOME bits (like the bar) were shown....but no. WASTED opportunity. A more interesting film would have been exploring the world this place is set in tbh. I came away not knowing what the difference between an Iso or a Program was. Were "Users" commonplace to find in The Grid? (Seemed to be one in the prison ship thing the main guy - can't even remember his name - was on) If so, how do they get into The Grid? SHIT LIKE THIS.

- Main character was rubbish.

- Acting was nothing. But then the actors had nothing to work with really. Jeff Bridges is fine/has prescence, but really. He couldn't do anything with this.

- The whole thing felt extremely empty...like there were people missing. Again I just wanted to see more of this world.

- The "humour" bits felt awkward and cringeworthy, added in to plaster over the serious/darkness of the whole thing by the studio presumably. Predictable, shit, pointless.

- Not an ounce of originality in any part of it. I'd seen it all before really, which was a shame. Again, some of the visual designs were cool, but...not enough to save this. I see a bit of Blade Runner, a little bit of Geiger...but not a trace of individuality.

I'm not being hard on it cause it wasn't a revelatory arthouse film that stunned me until I was blue in the face and lying in the grass stunned, but because it failed as an action movie due to it's faults being extremely detrimental to the film as whole.

I'm unsure whether to recommend it or not. The visual elements are nice, but to tell you the truth, you get half the enjoyment of them from just looking at pics online.

It didn't hang together as a cohesive film, nor did it know what it wanted to be - deviations in the tone sticking out like a sore thumb. (Take Zeus for example - he felt like he was a reject villain from Shumacher's Batman films...what? So out of place. )

I am afraid to go an see this today. I know I'll come home and start prancing about like a lighted-up-douche.

I just quickly clicked your spoiler box Paj, and in terms of Pros VS Cons it looks similar to the first movie for me. Except the Pros list is bigger.

Edited by ReZourceman

I hear the first one is a much more satisfying experience. Nothing great, but it's much more enjoyable. (according to a friend. But then they enjoy Legacy too so...)

Following on from your Zeus point.

I failed to see the point of the 'going to Zeus' bit. Nothing was gained from it at all, just seemed to set up stuff like Bridges having his disc stolen, Korah getting wounded, etc. Though Michael Sheen's David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust impersonation was quite amusing.

I failed to see the point of the 'going to Zeus' bit. Nothing was gained from it at all, just seemed to set up stuff like Bridges having his disc stolen, Korah getting wounded, etc. Though Michael Sheen's David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust impersonation was quite amusing.

It's this kinda thing. His "betrayal" had no impact since he was introduced a minute before by Korah as "someone she could trust", too. I wondered if that was Michael Sheen or not. He's better than that. :cry:

The story was just a bit of a mess.

I hear the first one is a much more satisfying experience. Nothing great, but it's much more enjoyable. (according to a friend. But then they enjoy Legacy too so...)

Nothing great, it's a classic, but maybe my fondness for it is coloured by having a cool (gamer/scifi/comics geek) dad who showed it to me at an early age. Regardless though, it's always a good idea to see the original before watching a sequel.

MY REVIEW BY HENRY GRAY or... TRON: MEHGACY

SUMMARY - Crap.

PRO's

- Visually pretty stunning. My first IMAX experience, and the 3-D was used nicely, and sparingly/only when appropriate. So that added too. Lots of nice neon things and very interesting design overall.

- Daft Punk's score was incredibly appealing and unique. Definitely a score that you are aware is stunning you whilst you watch.

CONS

- Everything else.

- Story was a mess. Haven't seen the first, but they kinda explain it (and presumably expect 90% of the audience not to have seen it either), badly. Atrocious, atrocious script. I was guessing what they'd say, thinking "Please don't...yep, they did." Disgraceful. Story/plot was just...meh. It was just there. What annoyed me most was the fact they went to such expense to create this visual treat of a world/universe in "The Grid" and then did NOTHING to show it as a living place. I wasn't sure if the "programs" had lives...or were they constructs like the matrix? Bad bad bad. I assume they had "lives" just based on the fact SOME bits (like the bar) were shown....but no. WASTED opportunity. A more interesting film would have been exploring the world this place is set in tbh. I came away not knowing what the difference between an Iso or a Program was. Were "Users" commonplace to find in The Grid? (Seemed to be one in the prison ship thing the main guy - can't even remember his name - was on) If so, how do they get into The Grid? SHIT LIKE THIS.

- Main character was rubbish.

- Acting was nothing. But then the actors had nothing to work with really. Jeff Bridges is fine/has prescence, but really. He couldn't do anything with this.

- The whole thing felt extremely empty...like there were people missing. Again I just wanted to see more of this world.

- The "humour" bits felt awkward and cringeworthy, added in to plaster over the serious/darkness of the whole thing by the studio presumably. Predictable, shit, pointless.

- Not an ounce of originality in any part of it. I'd seen it all before really, which was a shame. Again, some of the visual designs were cool, but...not enough to save this. I see a bit of Blade Runner, a little bit of Geiger...but not a trace of individuality.

I'm not being hard on it cause it wasn't a revelatory arthouse film that stunned me until I was blue in the face and lying in the grass stunned, but because it failed as an action movie due to it's faults being extremely detrimental to the film as whole.

I'm unsure whether to recommend it or not. The visual elements are nice, but to tell you the truth, you get half the enjoyment of them from just looking at pics online.

It didn't hang together as a cohesive film, nor did it know what it wanted to be - deviations in the tone sticking out like a sore thumb. (Take Zeus for example - he felt like he was a reject villain from Shumacher's Batman films...what? So out of place. )

Basically agree with all of that. Especially that most of the enjoyment could just be obtained by looking at pics/watching the trailer.

Its the JK Rowling school of story telling! Get your characters into the place in the story that you need them any way or any how, don't worry about if the how makes any sense.

----------

Yeah the film was a mess. Apparently it was in 3D......I noticed like...1 actual bit (where the grapple hook comes towards you) and then its prominent in the TWO scenes that are shot overhead looking down vertically. I was expecting to be excited visually more in this respect.

Olivia Wilde was just stunning. I could gaze into her eyes for eternity. So obviously enjoyed her.

And the aerial fight was really good.

The rest was so incredibly sub par. Its a practic non entity. Like the first Tron film I'm finding it near impossible to actually rate. It exists in its own reality, away from other film scoring. Its just there, and you can choose to look at it if you wish.

OH GOD! Edit.

I totally forgot. The message at the beginning. Most stupid and patronising thing I've ever read. I've literally never rolled my eyes so much at one thing...like it was an INTENSE rolling of the eyes and I thought to myself "This doesn't bode well"

don't want to risk opeing the spoiler tags, someone just give me an out of 10 rating.

enjoyable? worth it? don't exect too much?

or total tripe?

3/10 at most. That's fair I think.

EDIT: Maybe 4 if you're generous. Very generous.

Also ReZ - didn't realise the message was part of the film, lol! Thought it was just like...from Odeon or whatever. Though I suppose it's for people who are like "OMG IT'S NOT 3-D!!!!!" since the start isn't.

4 isn't being generous. 4 is donating your ball sack and shaft for pointless scientific experiments.

Its the JK Rowling school of story telling! Get your characters into the place in the story that you need them any way or any how, don't worry about if the how makes any sense.

objection-vector.png

On what do you base this?