NEurope
Daft

Tron Legacy

Her "career", I would assume.

Please don't tell me you think J. K. Rowling is a poor writer. I'd hate to disagree with you again. :heh:

Please don't tell me you think J. K. Rowling is a poor writer. I'd hate to disagree with you again. :heh:

Not poor, no. She's a very compelling writer, actually. But she does do that.

Also, she writes good, but ain't even one of the top 200 writers if we're being honest.

Also, I only used "" around career to upset you. :p

Not poor, no. She's a very compelling writer, actually. But she does do that.

Also, she writes good, but ain't even one of the top 200 writers if we're being honest.

Also, I only used "" around career to upset you. :p

I know, I know. And I'm a fool for taking the bait. :p

She is a good children's writer, nothing more, nothing less.

Hence why her first 4 were better then her last 3.

There's a chapter in Goblet Of Fire... chapter 35, Veritaserum. It's fantastically well written. Brilliant pay off when read for the first time. I personally believe it's her moment of glory.

It's the chapter when

they drug Barty Crouch Jr (who was passing himself as Mad Eye up till that point) with truth serum and he tells the tale of all his doings from the moment he (brillianty) escaped Azkaban up till the present.

Utter brilliance, me thinks. Not the writing itself, but the story it tells.

I love Order of the Phoenix, it's incredibly brilliant and I love how much I really hate Umbridge too. But yeah, with Dannyboy, J.K is a great writer.

===============

Back on subject, I haven't seen this and I haven't seen the first either which I am watching tomorrow. However, I have heard that the second is better than the first which is likely thanks to a mixture of Daft Punk and impressive CGI work (yes my friends are quite easily pleased). I want to see for myself though and so won't read anything until I see it!

...the soundtrack is awesome though!

I loved it. You'll only like it if you like the first, though.

It could have done with another set piece, but it was pretty much a remake of the first film...in every way. It was perfectly awkward and ripe for being dated.

I think the tone of the soundtrack was wrong for the film.

I absolutely loved this, saw it at the imax in 3D, which really added to the overall feel of it. Cool soundtrack, looked very very cool. In 3D on a massive screen I would certainly recommend it.

Something I'll miss is the absurd IMAX sound system. Made my chest rumble. Was siiiick.

Edited by Daft
X

Saw this today with 3 other friends. One hated it and the other two were in-different.

I fucking loved it, though. Also, the soundtrack, every single piece of music had me in awe. The disc battles and anything with the light cycles just...god, I loved.

I'll happily go and see it again.

Just hearing that liking the first equals to that you will like this one, is very reassuring.

This will be my first IMAX experience seeing as we just recently had one open recently and I wanted to see something that looks visually great as my first experience.

Forgot to mention, Cillian Murphy's cameo as Dillinger's son at the beginning was pretty cool. Potential bad guy for next film? Assuming the grosses are high enough (who knows?), I think that's a yes.

I love the Recognisers. Such awesome machines.

Forgot to mention, Cillian Murphy's cameo as Dillinger's son at the beginning was pretty cool. Potential bad guy for next film? Assuming the grosses are high enough (who knows?), I think that's a yes.

I love the Recognisers. Such awesome machines.

Hahaha, I was wtfing at that in the cinema.

"Shit, is that...Cillian Murphy? Wtf." Is he contracted to be in every awesome film these days or something?

He's my favourite man, so seeing him was probably the best part of the fim for me. Even though he had one (?) line.

It actually annoyed me how crap this film was. Completely pointless. Just...make it good. It's not that hard.

He's my favourite man, so seeing him was probably the best part of the fim for me. Even though he had one (?) line.

It actually annoyed me how crap this film was. Completely pointless. Just...make it good. It's not that hard.

Man, why you gotta be such a haterrrr?

Don't make me go all Bard on your arse and shit over your opinion. ;)

It was crap, though.

I like lots of crap films, I'm not denying you your right. :p

It's such a shame that it had such a shit script.

It's not going to win any awards. Its definitely a film that is there to purely entertain the viewer and I think it will do that for the majority of people. It's quite pleasant to look at, there's a brilliant soundtrack, plenty of action in the right places, and some good performances by the central characters. Yeah, not the best acting, nothing that blows you away and in some cases there is some "over-acting" going on. But, I can imagine this having a cult following like the original. Its very much in that same format as the original and sets out what that intended to do as well.

Just got round to seeing it today. I don't agree with the complete destructive review you wrote, Paj.

Typical Disney intro to the film, something that reminded me of Free Willy and Flight of the Navigator in tone; nothing to write home about but perfectly legitimate if the rest of the film produces. Once we hit the grid I was locked in. I was immersed. I was there, man! Those space invader-esque ships were far more fearsome this time round, and while a lot of the concept of the grid was put on the backburner in the form of Flynn's philosophical reasons for construction followed by isolation - which, if properly expounded would've made for a proper film, but not something you can expect from disney. I think that the film would be much better viewed having seen Tron first; having the core concepts in mind explains a lot.

Anyway - the arenas and the gladiatorial games were exciting, the visuals were beaut, Bridge's digitally altered face on Clu seemed to pass all tests, and my adrenaline was running. The plot was for sure linear and while not completely predictable, only really offered one of two potential outcomes at any point, and the audience is smart enough to think through both possibilities and thus think "ah, I knew that was going to happen" even if they thought the other possibility was more likely to actually occur.

It was when we hit the club that things went to shit. Sheen's performance was shit. That character was totally and utterly a betrayal to the atmosphere the film had created up to that point. Even before that, as we entered the club we had an offbeat track that was simply offputting, that drew me out of my escapist mind and reminded me that I was still, in fact, sitting on a lumpy chair from Air Force Satan's rejected seat factory. Then Daft Punk themselves and their infuriatingly invasive 'cameo' just made my soul groan. One quick glance from the camera would've been fine, but the metal heads themselves changing the track to one more appropriate to a fight scene? Totally misjudged idea that served to detract from the action. Broke the 4th wall at the worst time.

Up until then I was happy with the daddy-issue ridden formulaic nonsense. The script never bothered me up til then. Questions were posed, a world imagined. From this scene onwards... I noticed Clu's rubbish animations, could tell easily that they were in a static 'vehicle' in front of a camera for the whole flying scene, groaned at the thoughtless nefarious nature of Clu... and so on. I was immediately made aware that I was watching a film. It turned a really enjoyable experience into a fraught attempt to remember that I want to enjoy this movie oh so bad.

Fresh out of the cinema, there were only a few minor niggles. After a pint and a post, it irks me more.

I'd gladly give it 7/10 because the first third and the next 15 mins were exactly as promised, and I was truly having a very enjoyable experience.

Oh! I remember watching a seriously, seriously awesome trailer for this a few months ago. I could've sworn that none of that trailer was in this movie! I spent most of the film expecting another lightbike scene.

Yeah, the Daft Punk thing was dumb. Even I didn't need four seperate shots of them. If you're so desperate to show them that much why hid them behind a tiny window? I think they should have just shoved their whole legendary Pyramid stage in the club.

997183691_68639d5aaa_o.jpg

Would have been siiiiiick.

I did like Clu, though. In fact I would probably go as far as to say he was the only really solid character (Apart from Bruce Boxleitner, of course). Plus, it played on that Ying and Yang shit the-Dude-Kenobi-Bridges was going on about.

It's like when people look at Milton's Paradise Lost and see that, actually, Satan is the most rounded character. You're right - Clu was the most developed, and I don't despise his role in the film at all, nor the character. His aims made sense, but I suppose it was that he quickly became the moustachioed villain rather than carving a specific niche for himself. If you imagine a top 100 villains of all time, clu won't make the cut. There was nothing specific to him that made him stand out.

I've come away from the film happy. There's plenty to moan about but I think in general they did the franchise proud. I think I should be in charge of the script for the sequel, and maybe in charge of cinematography. Daft you can do the music? If I directed the film I would've done more parallels between reality and the grid. We only really had a silly cop chase to compare with the line game, and flynn's arcade on both sides of the coin.

Oh! Another point - maybe because it's been so long since I saw the original. Why is the portal so far away from where Sam Flynn actually entered the grid?!

Deal. I want more Tron in the next film.

Actually, one of the biggest disappointments was Sam getting zapped in. Was so much cooler in the original.

Dunno about the exit point. All I know is it looked real purddy.

Again, have to find a cinema in China that isn't showing it in EXCLUSIVE-MIND-BLOWING-OH-HOLY-CRAP-HOW-DID-WE-LIVE-WITHOUT-IT-FOR-SO-LONG 3D.

Because I can't SEE those stupid 3D images, and watching it with or without the goggles gives me a headache.

I want my apple mash.

Yeah I can't see 3D so wearing the glasses largely makes it 2D. There were a couple of moments where my eyes did synch as things were flying directly at the camera, but all in all I don't give a shit about it. Hope it's over sooner than later.