NEurope
Happenstance

The Walking Dead

There's two things the doc could have told Rick

Lori is preggers. He did, after all, do a blood test.

or (and this is a fairly major point for comic readers only so be warned.)

That everyone is infected and the bites are merely a rapid catalyst for transformation, not the cause.

If there is pretty much no hope of a cure, and this is a world wide catastrophe, then what hope of salvation are they looking for?

Is there any good news down the line, in the comics?

-Why would anyone want to live in a world like that (apart from Zomble fans lol).

Edited by The Lillster

The comics are...fairly relentless. There is some light at the end of the tunnel though in that really, it's all about Carl. He's a much bigger character in the books than (so far) in the TV show and the main storyline is all to do with Rick striving for his son's life above all else.

The quality of that life is another question itself, I suppose, but if you take on the face value that a fundamentally valuable human life should not be thrown away, it makes sense.

Just watch Episode 6.

I still don't understand why people like this.

no.jpg

There's two things the doc could have told Rick

or (and this is a fairly major point for comic readers only so be warned.)

That everyone is infected and the bites are merely a rapid catalyst for transformation, not the cause.

So I'm guessing that even if a person dies a normal death, chances are that they will still reanimate?

I refer to my first post in this thread; the show is transforming the graphic novel to its tv form fairly well. There are clear points where the story has been driven in one direction in order to cover plotpoints further down the line -- The graphic novel did not know where it was going to end up, nor necessarily did it set up catastrophies or relationships as well as the tv show is able to. Perhaps it can be argued that the show is over-emphasising such key points, which may be reason to contest this series to be no better than Jericho's or 4400's first season.

To summarise; lots of potential if treated with respect. I really do feel that a larger episode run will allow more constraight - and as we all know

Darabont does prison settings rather well

So there is hope for a lowering in pace (which only truly effected the last 2 eps of this series) and a chance given to the scope and awe that The Walking Dead presented.

I think some things are surely for certain now, considering the TV's take on the story;

Merl will be the gov, shane's necessary death will replace some of the prison drama (perhaps shane will die at the gov's town as part of the blood sport). I presume then, that the first few eps of the next season (maybe from the 2nd ep) will cover joyous life in the prison, then internal stuff, then gov stuff. Another worry is the pace that they're searing through the original material. The prison stuff is a lot slower than the bit before, but iirc it takes 7-9 comics to get to the prison, but nearly 40 for the prison to finish. Will the 2nd season choose to encapsulate the entire prison drama in one go?

Compared to the comics, they've really taken the story quite radically away from the canon since ep03. As I sorta said in the spoiler, it can be said that that kirkman didn't fully know where he was going at this stage, but I do think that fans have plenty to worry about. The show has quickly decided to have every-ep-has-a-cliffhanger mentality, and I'm worried that we're just facing oblique character development and rapidly hitting shoot-em-up territory.

I think the series has done well so far. The real thing that has hampered it has been the 6-ep run. It would've done better with more room to breathe, so here's hoping the 13-ep 2nd season does better.

So I'm guessing that even if a person dies a normal death, chances are that they will still reanimate?

Yes. People die from gunshots, stab wounds and whatever else and they still reanimate. The idea is that the entire world is infected well before the dead start walking, they just don't know it.

Yes. People die from gunshots, stab wounds and whatever else and they still reanimate. The idea is that the entire world is infected well before the dead start walking, they just don't know it.

Well I better not ask anymore questions :grin:

I haven't watched any of this. Will I like it? As a fan of the comics.

Yes, you will. Also you will like it as a human being.

They did get the pacing a bit wrong. They're not making it as interesting as it is, and the why is beyond me.

It's a TV series based on a Zombie Apocalypse; what is there not to like. :p

I'm really gonna have to pick the comic book of this up at some point...its available in graphic novel form right? Just seems with the likely years gap between series there is gonna be time. I can't really afford them wish there was a cheaper way of picking them up.

I'm really gonna have to pick the comic book of this up at some point...its available in graphic novel form right? Just seems with the likely years gap between series there is gonna be time. I can't really afford them wish there was a cheaper way of picking them up.

Ultra Compendium Mega Edition

Hardback Ultimate Collection Edition

Trade Paper Back Edition

Single Issue Edition

Weekly Single Issue Edition.

Basically, you couldn't have more choice. :p

Ultra Compendium Mega Edition

Hardback Ultimate Collection Edition

Trade Paper Back Edition

Single Issue Edition

Weekly Single Issue Edition.

Basically, you couldn't have more choice. :p

i'll have to look into like I said pretty darn skint at the moment....

EDIT:

51 comics right?!

EDIT:

51 comics right?!

Upto 79 now I think. Or 80. Upto about 75 ish is availabe in TPB (About....13 ish volumes)

Upto 79 now I think. Or 80. Upto about 75 ish is availabe in TPB (About....13 ish volumes)

right ok. cool cheers...

The Walking Dead Coming To Channel 5

The Walking Dead will be aired for free in the UK on Channel 5 next spring after the channel picked up the 'free-to-air' rights for an undisclosed sum.

Up until now the zombie comic-book adaptation had only been shown on the paid-for subscription channel FX, through satellite and cable, but Channel 5 will be airing the 6-part series for free in spring 2011.

The series, produced by Frank Darabont, based on the comics written by Robert Kirkman, has proven to be a big ratings winner across the globe, so it's no surprise that the ailing channel was keen to secure the rights.

Katie Keenan, Channel 5's Head of Acquisitions said; "The Walking Dead has been one of the breakout hits of 2010 and I'm delighted to announce this fantastic addition to the Channel 5 schedule for Spring 2011. As Rick Grimes, Andrew Lincoln makes a compelling leading man and the acquisition of The Walking Dead reaffirms the fact that Channel 5 is the place to come for the best American dramas on British TV."

The Walking Dead was recently renewed for an extended 13-show second season, with the primary cast set to return.

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/113/1139306p1.html

Cool means more people seeing it I guess. I've had to borrow the trade paperbacks, kinda expensive no way I can afford them right now.