NEurope
Happenstance

The Walking Dead

Ok so finally got round to watching it and loved it! So bizzare seeing Andrew Lincoln with an american accent but still its him in a major role and he is amazing! (have to admit have a bit of man love for him, easily my favourite actor) He still has a lot of the quirks and mannerisms that have defined previous roles. The way he nervously approached the horse reminds me of a scene in Teachers where he nervously approached a colleague lol!

Use spoiler boxes until it airs in the UK.

The zombie "disease" is contagious and spreads through bites/wounding!!!!

I didn't think it was amazing. I'm certain it will get better and grow on me, though.

Can we also mark any spoilers which come from the comics please? Just having spoiler in the title isn't really enough if you're talking about comics too!

If you don't know how to do it...

[spoiler="SPOILER TITLE"]spoiler text[/***spoiler]

Just saw the first episode and loved it. Was disappointed that the main character didn't ask the black dude (yeah, I'm great with names) how it actually came about as that pretty much would've been my first question. "What the hell is going on?"

Edited by Charlie

The ambiguity over what/ when is kind of a zombie staple though. Rick's coma could have lasted a month, maybe more or just a few days. Also, I like the idea that, frankly, Morgan wouldn't really have any better idea than Rick- nobody ever knows the scale of what's happening because all the things we take for granted like TV and radio are all gone and all that's left is isolated groups of survivors who are purely reacting to their immediate situation.

What was amazing about it?

- The direction

- The acting

- The pacing

- The dialogue

- The silences

- The emotion

- The make up and special effects

- The locations, scenes and haunting images

- The "twist(s)"

- The prospect of upcoming encounters

- Finally and foremost....the fact that it is a brilliantly (nay, perfectly/exceeding perfectly) rendered adaptation of one of my favourite character stories, by my favourite writer, from my favourite medium.

In comparison, you like Tron.

The ambiguity over what/ when is kind of a zombie staple though. Rick's coma could have lasted a month, maybe more or just a few days. Also, I like the idea that, frankly, Morgan wouldn't really have any better idea than Rick- nobody ever knows the scale of what's happening because all the things we take for granted like TV and radio are all gone and all that's left is isolated groups of survivors who are purely reacting to their immediate situation.

I know what you're saying but on the otherhand if you'd woken up after X period of time and the whole world was turning into Zombies surely you would be wondering what happened?

True- but remember that untill Morgan tells him otherwise Rick hasn't really seen what's going on properly. And what he did see was while he was delirious. He hasn't got much to ask about.

- The direction

- The acting

- The pacing

- The dialogue

- The silences

- The emotion

- The make up and special effects

- The locations, scenes and haunting images

- The "twist(s)"

- The prospect of upcoming encounters

- Finally and foremost....the fact that it is a brilliantly (nay, perfectly/exceeding perfectly) rendered adaptation of one of my favourite character stories, by my favourite writer, from my favourite medium.

In comparison, you like Tron.

I like Tron but I know it's nowhere near the perfect film. It's laughably far from it.

The day you are more aware of nuances than me with regards to directing/acting/pacing/dialogue/etc and are actually critical is the day Michael Bay creates an original piece of work, i.e. never.

I can also tell you, from the 23+ minute preview I had of Tron Legacy, the acting is just astounding...

...ly awful. The 3D rocked my freaking world, and I wasn't phased by it in Avatar.

I didn't even say Walking Dead was bad. It's good, hardly OMFG Ij0stCrooomededmypantz!! amazing I've never seen anything like this before in the universe, though. I'd also be shock if it didn't get even better.

I have to say, an episode/film where the kid doesn't piss me off? Achievement.

Edit: It's been a long long day. I'll stop being a twat now.

Edited by Daft

I think with TWD it's hard to put the whole OMZ GOMBIES stuff away and just approach it and evaluate it as a TV show. ReZ and many others are rating the first show based PRIMARILY on how well it deals with the source material. If it ticks the boxes now then we can rest assured that we're in for a real treat for however many seasons we get!

As a pilot/first episode I think it did precisely what was needed of it, and in typical AMC fashion it didn't patronise us with leading music (that I recall!). It posed enough questions and presented enough scenarios for the viewer's own imagination to run away with that nagging thought if what would I do if I was in this situation?

it also didn't over-exert itself and try and cram too much stuff in, and it didn't skip much out. There was pretty much only one scene invented for the TV cliffhangaholic audience, but that's inevitable in transforming the source material into rigid timeframes of storytelling.

Also, being Zombies, I suppose that the pilot/first ep doesn't really show you anything you've not seen before. We've seen enough films to perhaps be a little immune to 'the horror, the horror!' of it all...

Enough I'm bored now.

I think both of those posts are fair to an extent (definitely with the edit Daft :p) but come on, the direction was noticeably brill (in particular)!

Just got finished watching it, thought it was very good. One thing that stuck out for me that I liked was for the most part the lack of music used, helped a lot with the tension.

slu054.jpg

Guy just don't give a fuck, he'll have his coffee in the middle of a zombie horde and love it

just a note for anyone watching on UK tv, the US cut of the pilot was about 20 minutes longer, so you miss out on some footage. Future episodes should be the same length though

Yeah I saw that post on Image and am confused.

1 hour 10 minutes with adverts. 15 minutes of adverts if there were 5 ad breaks. = 55 minutes, just 12 minutes short. I saw both and didn't exactly notice a difference (and saw the US one twice)

think it's cause the US one was broadcast without ads for the pilot

I've yet to see the UK cut so can't comment myself

Wait a minute, what was all the advertising about then that the one being shown on FX over here was the directors cut???

it's just something I read that Robert Kirkman said on the Image messageboards

I have to wonder if hes got it wrong then. It was advertised all the time as the directors cut and we had no adverts in it.