N-Europe

The Moat Saga

Ellmeister

So as everyone in the UK will know, Paul Moat shot his ex-girlfriend, killed her boyfriend (that he believed was a policeman) and shot a police officer just on patrol randomly and who is now blind for life.

Having shot himself, many people have laid flowers and left messages where he died. A massive facebook group was also created with many "people" -if you could call them that- actually congratulating him and calling him a "legend".

Having heard the debate on the radio, I just wanted to know what N-E thought about anything related to this?

Is it an increasing occurrence, too soon after the Cumbria shooting yet recent claims believe crime figures to be the lowest for a long time?

Does someone as vulgar as Moat deserve consolidation and to be given heroic status?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not, its only complete idiots who would ever congratulate him for what he did. Its just disgusting.

I can just about understand people leaving flowers etc if they knew him before the incident but i'll never understand complete tossers who agree with what he did in any way.

The woman who made the facebook page has been made to take it down - she mentions how surprised she is by the reaction of the page and she's entitled to a free opinion.

Personally I think its sickening - opinion or not. It to me, is almost like congratulating murder, ok so lets congratulate rapists, paedophiles etc. Where does it stop? A hero? Laughable the man shot two people and then himself because he believed the system wasn't helping him, thousands maybe millions of people feel this way and yet they don't go around shooting their ex-girlfriends or their ex-girlfriends boyfriend.

I don't condone it in anyway, disgraceful.

So as everyone in the UK will know, Paul Moat shot his ex-girlfriend, killed her boyfriend (that he believed was a policeman) and shot a police officer just on patrol randomly and who is now blind for life.

I didn't know about it. I knew about Raoul Moat but never heard of this Paul fellow.

Shit, pedantic police are here, where's that Raoul Moat when you need him to sort you people out...

My bad.

This morning the page hadn't been taken down as Facebook were saying they were entitled to it as part of free speech but 10 Downing Street said they were going to talk to facebook about it. I guess that worked?

Shit, pedantic police are here, where's that Raoul Moat when you need him to sort you people out...

My bad.

This morning the page hadn't been taken down as Facebook were saying they were entitled to it as part of free speech but 10 Downing Street said they were going to talk to facebook about it. I guess that worked?

Its mentioned on the bbc as I had a quick look, I didn't watch the news today as I was up far too early.

I understand free speech, but there's limits, facebook statuses bashing LGBT also get taken down by facebook quite often, it can get incredibly insulting and some have even riled me when I'm straight!

Believe it or not many people have been at the receiving end of the nastier side of the police, just or unjust, and have gained a less than friendly view of them. I know a few people with attitude akin to Moat's, and they're probably the people heralding him as a martyr.

Even so, surely there must be a reason why they think a murderer is a hero?

Its mentioned on the bbc as I had a quick look, I didn't watch the news today as I was up far too early.

I understand free speech, but there's limits, facebook statuses bashing LGBT also get taken down by facebook quite often, it can get incredibly insulting and some have even riled me when I'm straight!

Free speech will always be a controversial topic. And it's one that I personally find it incredibly hard to choose a side in.

EDIT: So these people think it's okay to murder policemen? That's moronic enough in itself, but what about the ex-girlfriend? She wasn't a policewoman, was she? +10 Retardedness, methinks.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Paul Moat deserves all the respect he wants, probably because he hasn't done anything spectacular.

However, Raoul Moat doesn't. No way can people think that after shooting 3 people, killing 1 and blinding another that he can be classed as a hero. Those people are sick and twisted. What next??.

Free speech will always be a controversial topic. And it's one that I personally find it incredibly hard to choose a side in.

Definitely agreed, I reason on a site such as facebook freedom of speech is going to class, but it doesn't mean it such be used as a tool to fuel hate, it's supposed to be a way for people to connect not bash one another.

But for the sake of not causing a massive argument, yes agree. :grin:

Definitely agreed, I reason on a site such as facebook freedom of speech is going to class, but it doesn't mean it such be used as a tool to fuel hate, it's supposed to be a way for people to connect not bash one another.

But for the sake of not causing a massive argument, yes agree. :grin:

Heh, by principle I believe in complete freedom of speech. But in cases such as this, it's hard maintaining that standpoint. :heh:

But yes, let the discussion move along. :)

Heh, by principle I believe in complete freedom of speech. But in cases such as this, it's hard maintaining that standpoint. :heh:

But yes, let the discussion move along. :)

Freedom of speech is fine, it's just a good job there's no freedom of action.

I remember following the entire thing unfold as it was happening on the news... and i was particularly shocked by a couple being interviewed that saying that Moat was a victim of the system and, deep down inside, a nice chap. This made me jawdrop to no end and was only aggravated by the reports that some locals had been helping him for the last few days.

I only stumbled on this facebook drama recently and, quite frankly, some (a lot?) of the comments posted were revolting. But, at the end of the day... that's facebook for you...

(running the risk of sounding a bit controversial, i have to agree with Nightwolf and Dannyboy here. Freedom of speech, all very good, but sometimes it really hits the mark)

Edited by Rinha

To be fair most of the group on Facebook is filled with trollers and it's one hell of a LOL reading some of the stuff they come out with, I honestly believe it was set up and joined by people taking the piss. I think the ACTUAL number of 'people' that supported him are less than 1% of the number of people in the group, most people probably joined it for a laugh or to take the piss, which is not good, no, but it's certainly not as bad as supporting the deranged so-and-so. Also, ReZ, LOL.