NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

Am beginning to get seriously p**sed off with this now. Have got 3 stars on 50cc and 100cc and on some of the 150cc and Mirror Mode tracks, and 2 stars on all the others, but am finding it impossible to get all 3 stars, basically because of the cheating ai.

I can come 1st easily in 3 or the four tracks in each cup, but on the other (and it's not always the same one) almost every time (no exageration) I can be driving a perfect race, and hardly get hit by anything, and then with the finish line in site on the last lap get bombarded with blue shells, red shells, green shells, you name it, with absolutely no time to recover and regain my lead.

I posted previously about how on one track, I could guarantee when I was going to be hit on the last lap as it happened every time, and I mean every time. I then rebooted my 3DS and it then didn't happen on this track for a while. It was almost as it the ai had got 'stuck'.

But I'm begining to wonder how the ai is calculated, because my son has managed to get 3 stars on every level and said that this hardly ever happened to him. He then watched me play and, surprise surprise, I got bombarded. However, when we play multiplayer, I beat him most of the time, so it's not as if he's better than me. I've even tried using the same car/wheels/wings as him, but this doesn't help.

BUT, I'm determined the cheating **&&!%$$ is not going to beat me and I will get 3 stars!!!

BUT, I'm determined the cheating **&&!%$$ is not going to beat me and I will get 3 stars!!!

I feel your pain. I have stopped trying for a while now as i got so annoyed. I have done all of the 150CC cups with 3-stars, it's just the Mirror cups that are tripping me up. I think the only thing to do is set aside some time and just keep doing it. Eventually you wont get as bombarded by cheating shells and, providing you raced a good fast line and got 10 coins each race (or as close as), the 3-stars should be achieved.

So basically what you're saying is your son is loads better than you at mario kart?

How can he be when I can beat him in multiplayer?

How can he be when I can beat him in multiplayer?

I'm only teasing :)

If he has all the luck, why don't you get him to give it a go. Sometimes it's better to be just better than the computer; then you don't get hammered as much!

I have to fundamentally oppose rubber banding: I don't mind getting my ass handed to me because I suck or someone is much better than me. But if I'm racing a perfect line and then right before the finish I get slammed by a blue shell, a red shell and then a lightning bolt... That doesn't encourage me to continue at all. In fact, that just happened to me and I put the system down. I don't want to play any more. I'm not bad at the game, and the AI isn't better than me, shitting on my race at the last second does nothing except piss me off.

+1

To be fair I don't think the rubber banding is QUITE as bad as in MKWii, where it was just infuriating, but still bad enough, and typical of Nintendo these days sadly.

It may seem unfair at times, but I'd much rather have it how it is (and has always been)

It hasn't always been like this. SNES and N64 and possibly even Double Dash didn't have rubber banding of any kind, apart from the usual weaker power-ups when you're up front.

It hasn't always been like this. SNES and N64 and possibly even Double Dash didn't have rubber banding of any kind, apart from the usual weaker power-ups when you're up front.
Go and play Super Mario Kart again, on 150cc, see what happens. ;)

If the top 2 rivals aren't always on your tail, come back and tell me so that I can eat my pants. :laughing:

Go ahead, pick Mario... You'll get DK & Peach on your case. :heh:

Pick Peach... Bowser & Toad will be chasing you down. :hehe:

Bowser... Mario & Luigi won't be far behind. :D

etc...

The SNES one had appaulling rubber banding. I bought it when it got released on the VC and never realised how bad it was. So much so I just stopped playing it as it wasn't fun.

I have to fundamentally oppose rubber banding: I don't mind getting my ass handed to me because I suck or someone is much better than me. But if I'm racing a perfect line and then right before the finish I get slammed by a blue shell, a red shell and then a lightning bolt... That doesn't encourage me to continue at all. In fact, that just happened to me and I put the system down. I don't want to play any more. I'm not bad at the game, and the AI isn't better than me, shitting on my race at the last second does nothing except piss me off.

Spot on. I've said many times before that Sega Racing did it right. They gave you the ability to knock rubber banding off. Once you did this you could learn the tracks, race away and do so without the fear of being slammed with various weapons when you were on the last lap and near the finish line.

From what I remember, ExciteTruck had some form of rubber banding, but it was done right. If you were the best racer, you would win. You wouldn't get a cheapshot inches from the finishing line.

But then, that game didn't have weapons. Surely it's the weapons that is the problem? Weapons that will target the person in first, and punish a person for leading a race.

Mario Kart should have a mode where weapons can be de-selected, or just a race only mode. Like in Brawl. Does 7 have anything like this?

Go and play Super Mario Kart again, on 150cc, see what happens. ;)

If the top 2 rivals aren't always on your tail, come back and tell me so that I can eat my pants. :laughing:

Go ahead, pick Mario... You'll get DK & Peach on your case. :heh:

Pick Peach... Bowser & Toad will be chasing you down. :hehe:

Bowser... Mario & Luigi won't be far behind. :D

etc...

Ok fair enough, I must be remembering incorrectly then. Not played it since it's release

Ideally they should have an option to turn it off when you want to race seriously, say online or on your own to get a good star-rating. I thought you could choose what weapons to have in community races anyway? There is no way it would work for familly games though, that is where the true genius of rubber banding pays off. I have been beaten by my siblings who only ever play Mario Kart once in a blue moon when they visit. True, i don't try as hard and i do silly things on purpose for fun, but that's the whole point. It is fun. Winning is only important to online junkies and completionists, for the majority, it is about having a laugh, and Nintendo will never ever sacrifice that.

There's always Time Trial mode :heh:

I finally got a 3 star rating. I got very annoyed at one point, so I decided to try and get 3 stars on a single GP every week. 1 GP every week.

that way I won't get annoyed as much and I wouldn't have wasted a lot of time, eventually it paid off especially yesterday as I felt confident and completed 4 Mirror Mode GP's all with 3 stars on the first attempt.

This always comes up with the release of anew mario kart. It IS what makes the game amazing; but it can be frustrating when you're trying to 3 star it; once this is done there isn't a problem. The frustration from being destroyed i multiplayer is part of it's genius and I wouldn't want it to change; it's not a serious racer, and ultimately the best racer does win most of the time

I know that, once I've got 3 stars, my enjoyment will return, and at least when you get hit in multiplayer it's acceptable, because the hits are usually spread out more evenly.

Will just keep playing until the ai decides to give me a break for a few races! (but it shouldn't be like this).

Will just keep playing until the ai decides to give me a break for a few races! (but it shouldn't be like this).

The best thing to do to get 3 stars is to always keep an eye on the map screen and see what weapons the AI has. As soon as you see a blue shell, slam your brakes on and drop into second. If one gets lightning, make sure there are no jumps coming up.

Yeah, it's easier said than done but once I did this I got 3 stars pretty quickly.

I'm really surprised Royal Raceway from Mario Kart 64 wasn't included, what with it's lake and big jump... perfect for sub and glider sections.

That's one of the best levels. Purely because you could drive off-course to the castle.

I'm feeling your pain wooks. :( I didn't 3 star everything in MK Wii as it was a massacre and I'm now getting slaughtered by the AI as I attempt Mirror Mode in MK7. Putting in three good races then getting shot to pieces on the final corner/ straight of the fourth race is really annoying. And thats understating it.

I'd already adapted a sort of zen, carefreeness like -Dem0- but its still a farce.

The N64 one had rubber-banding. I remember watching an opponent that I had left far behind me on the map simply closing in like a quarter of the course is nothing. They were definitely being boosted once you were in the lead. :heh:

I don't know, if the occasional bombardment you receive is part of the rubber banding. It might be in the newer games, but as I described, on the N64 iteration rubber banding meant opponents were just getting boosts, so they could close in.

I don't know, if the occasional bombardment you receive is part of the rubber banding. It might be in the newer games, but as I described, on the N64 iteration rubber banding meant opponents were just getting boosts, so they could close in.

I don't think it is. It's just luck, it can happen in multiplayer as well.

The N64 one had serious player 2 catch-up in multiplayer. Me and my brother would always play it and noticed it a million times. You can feel how much faster it is when you're lagging behind, likewise how you get a little more sluggish in the lead. It is only slight, but it is noticeable when you've played it to death.

I don't care about 3 Starring the game, I never really like playing on my own anyhoo, multiplayer is always where it's at for me!

I 3-starred the first 2 Mirror cups last night. Nearly blew my top doing it as well. I tried the Star cup a few times but i got too angered by the injustice of it all and called it quits. I will get there... one day... maybe... if i don't die from stress-induced road-rage.

I 3 starred 4 of the Mirror Mode cups in a row last weekend but then I couldn't do the next 2, kept getting 2 stars :angry:

Have managed to 3 star a couple more levels, but am still finding new ways that the computer is cheating.

On Rosalina's Ice World, I was in the lead and got to the circular part with the sheer drop to the right. Got hit by a bomb and saw a couple of computer karts also fall down the drop. OK fair enough, this happens, but . . . . I got put back to the start of the circular part, but all the other karts, including those hit with me, were all finishing that section - wtf! Then, when I'm trying to catch up, I was still in 8th and on the left part of the track, the kart in 6th was on the right, with 7th place not far from 6th, when 6th place fired a green shell at a 45 degree angle straight into me - again wtf!!!

I really think there needs to be some petition created where people will threaten not to buy any future versions of Mario Kart until Nintendo sort out the ai. Or do away with weapons in single player mode and only have them in multiplayer.

Star cup is still screwing me. I tried it a few times on my lunch break and just laughed at how madeningly unfair it was. I've been trying the break-to-avoid-bluey thing, but so many times i have dropped into 2nd and still been hit by it. I know you have to drop back in good time, which i did, i couldn't even hear it coming a few times, yet it still honed in on me. Do you have to drop back before it is even launched?!

Blue shells are just half the problem though as others have said. Computer karts just cheat like hell. They recover insanely fast, they keep up with you no matter if you are having a perfect race and taking shortcuts. It's one bitch of a challenge! I'm sure Mirror is harder than 150CC as well.