NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Kart 7

There's just one thing that I really hope they include, and that's the ability to turn individual weapons on and off, like you can with items in Smash Bros.

Everything off except Pokéballs, hammers and baseball bats then. That would be utter mayhem on the race track right there.

Argh, I really never have enjoyed Mario Kart, but this looks brilliant. I never liked my neighbour's SNES original, didn't like Double Dash and rudely sold my free copy of Mario Kart Wii, despite @darksnowman inviting me to play it online! Weapons-off would make all the difference to me, but I might buy it anyway.

Weapons-off would make all the difference to me, but I might buy it anyway.

That's what time trial mode is for :heh:

I'm really pleased that the blue shell has potentially been nerfed, but I'd still like to be able to turn it off sometimes.

Or you could turn off everything else just for the laughs. ;)

I really don't get why people don't like items in Mario Kart, Smash etc. They make things more fun and a great player can learn to adapt to situations.

In Mario Kart Wii, despite the "rubber band" stuff with the items, I still win 90% of the time, so I don't get it.

Yeah for Lakitu!!

Meh for Metal Mario. It's baby Daisy/Funky/... all over again: palette/costume swap of existing characters. :( I don't expect much from not yet revealed characters.

Seriously Lostmario,

what you did just there was convince me to get Mario Kart 7 ON DAY 1!!!!

I am the Fused King after all, and I am one of the Mario Kart League Legends of which the forum quietly gossips about.

Still, I fear for my title, for I am the last - official - N-E Mario Kart League Champion.

I'm all for having a permanent section for the N-E Mario Kart 7 League on the main page. Members could even bet on us and stuff....

I'm also hoping we'll have our weekly videos back!:blank:

Seriously Lostmario,

what you did just there was convince me to get Mario Kart 7 ON DAY 1!!!!

I am the Fused King after all, and I am one of the Mario Kart League Legends of which the forum quietly gossips about.

Still, I fear for my title, for I am the last - official - N-E Mario Kart League Champion.

I'm all for having a permanent section for the N-E Mario Kart 7 League on the main page. Members could even bet on us and stuff....

I'm also hoping we'll have our weekly videos back!:blank:

That would be nice, being featured on the main page somewhere.

There will be no themes / compulsory characters for at least the first 6 months, good news for some who hated that part of the league.

The league did have a good run on MKWii until it got a bit stale during year 3.

I think with the No. of players being dropped to 8, we'll have a good league.

Not decided on the details of the league nights yet (No. of GPs etc, battles, Team Gps etc), still awaiting more info on what online features will be included).

Argh, I really never have enjoyed Mario Kart, but this looks brilliant. I never liked my neighbour's SNES original, didn't like Double Dash and rudely sold my free copy of Mario Kart Wii, despite @darksnowman inviting me to play it online! Weapons-off would make all the difference to me, but I might buy it anyway.

I don't remember asking you. :blush: Tis a shame you never joined in any of the MK league games, or any of the general online races we had.

Yeah for Lakitu!!

Meh for Metal Mario. It's baby Daisy/Funky/... all over again: palette/costume swap of existing characters. :( I don't expect much from not yet revealed characters.

Doctor Mario will likely be unlockable.

That would be nice, being featured on the main page somewhere.

There will be no themes / compulsory characters for at least the first 6 months, good news for some who hated that part of the league.

The league did have a good run on MKWii until it got a bit stale during year 3.

I think with the No. of players being dropped to 8, we'll have a good league.

Not decided on the details of the league nights yet (No. of GPs etc, battles, Team Gps etc), still awaiting more info on what online features will be included).

I'd say it'd be beneficial to all of us if we could decide on a day + time before the game comes out.

I'd say it'd be beneficial to all of us if we could decide on a day + time before the game comes out.

Thursdays at 8pm GMT was the day & time i was going for.

I really don't get why people don't like items in Mario Kart, Smash etc. They make things more fun and a great player can learn to adapt to situations.

I totally agree about Smash Bros - I'd never play without the items. To be honest, the only thing I'd turn off in Mario Kart is the blue shell.

In Mario Kart Wii, despite the "rubber band" stuff with the items, I still win 90% of the time, so I don't get it.

Well with smash, it is probably the greatest fighting game (in a competitive sense) ever made, along with 3rd Strike. Of course, for those playing casually items make it an incredible party game. The thing is with Melee, it's an incredible intricate game, relying on the ability to read what someone else is about to do, before they even do it and to some extent KNOW what they are about to do, and being able to react quick enough and execute you're on move/positional play. Then, for those who aren't into that side of the game, playing with items just makes it an incredible party game, and rightly so. It's arguably one of the best fighting game franchises ever for this reason alone.

Mario kart is different. Items are a part of the integral gameplay, but the problem is when the game revolves too much around items. SMK and MKDS are probably about 10% items, 90% Kart skill (especially the first game, good god does that game give you a great feeling when you complete a FAST lap). But then you get games like MK:Wii where the focus is more even and at that point the 'racing' sensation is lost somewhat, and it leans more towards a party game. MK:DS is probably the best one imo, it's a shame it had a fucking winged blue shell though. fml, i hated that shit.

I don't remember asking you. :blush: Tis a shame you never joined in any of the MK league games, or any of the general online races we had.

Nothing personal: 1) It came free with the Wii and I never opened it, and 2) I've still not played a game online. I'm probably not in when all the action goes on anyway.

I'm up for playing in any leagues but I don't always get the same days off each week so it all depends :p

A MK league? Awesome, if this does happen I totally want to be a part of it! Especially on thursday nights! And wednesdays thats my day off.

Yeah the Wii league will return in style. I actually think there'll be too many of us with it being only 8 player. Maybe have two leagues (north and south leagues) with quarterly semi finals/final for the top teams in the divisions!

As for the tanooki tail, anyone else worried it sounds extremely powerful?

Yeah the Wii league will return in style. I actually think there'll be too many of us with it being only 8 player. Maybe have two leagues (north and south leagues) with quarterly semi finals/final for the top teams in the divisions!

As for the tanooki tail, anyone else worried it sounds extremely powerful?

It does but hopefully it will be rare. It'll be obvious when someone has one though, so it'll be like when you see an invincible player... you just have to keep your distance. We don't know how long it lasts for yet either :p

I don't really like what they've done with it as a weapon.

In terms of blocking weapons... it just seems like it will act as the shells and banana's do, and once it's hit, that's it.

In terms of hitting players out... well again that's just like a star, or hitting a player with a shell... except this one you'll have to be right next to them.

When I first heard about it, I thought it would offer you something different, like a hover jump or something... for leaping shells/items on the track. Seems like a missed opportunity really.

I don't expect the Tanooki tail to be that powerful, it seems only to be effective against shells and, like a star, I expect it will run out after a few seconds. At a guess, its probably also an exercise in timing too, you've gotta hit it just right or the shell gets you etc (and concentrating like that is enough to put me in the side of a pipe).

I imagine it will just stay behind you like a shell/banana does until it's hit, without anything from the player needed.

But I think you'll probably have to press 'fire' to swing it at opponents, as opposed to it doing it by itself when you draw alongside someone.

Quite why we need another block/item to hit your opponent with though?

icon14.gif Mario Kart Channel.

icon14.gif Daily ghost data via SpotPass.

icon14.gif Still runs at 60fps online with 8 players.

icon14.gif Players can create their own communities.

Nice. :D

That community thing sounds like it could be handy for the MK League. :smile:

MK7 is going to be the second biggest game of the year after SS (IMO). just waiting on some clarification about this new community mode.

6 Weeks and 3 days to go!