NEurope
Retro_Link

Kid Icarus Uprising

What is everyone's top weapons?

At the moment the best thing I have is some Hedgehog Claws with 3.5 on melee and ranged stats. It's rapid fire shit is awesome. I'd love something with hard range (don't give much of a shit about melee, it's too frustrating) but I cannae afford it/aint fusing enough.

I don't really have a 'top' weapon as such - I've got quite a few that are 270+ now that I tend to rotate through them all. I guess I've still got a soft spot for my beam claws, even though I know they're not the most powerful, and I've got a samurai blade and an optical blade that I like to go back to fairly regularly. There's also a 307 value midnight palm with good ranged attack, a +5 defense but no melee stars that I've always seemed to do well in tricky flight sections with, but there's something about it that I just don't get on with, and I can't put my finger on what it is, so I've only been using it if I've known a level I'm about to try at a high level has a tough start.

Having started work again this week after a month off (two weeks' jury duty, two weeks' Easter holidays), I've hardly had any time for Uprising, but tonight I got the last gold wreath on all the levels, and I'm sitting at 98.5%. Just two more powers to find (how long that will take is anyone's guess), some more idols and the boss rush - a mode I've never been a fan of in any game, as I usually end up dying right towards the end!

Edited by Mike

Panini going to distribute the AR cards in Europe. GET IN!

With a partner like that Nintendo is going to do very well with AR collectables.

With a partner like that Nintendo is going to do very well with AR collectables.

Cool I cant wait to get them and the folder

I was strangely excited by this news, more than a guy who's pushing 30 should be. :D

I was strangely excited by this news, more than a guy who's pushing 30 should be. :D

This sums up my feelings exactly.

At least now there'll be something else to do at the N-Europe 2012 Meet.

GOT, GOT, NEED, NEED, GOT, GOT, NEED etc.

I've been playing a level of this every day or two since I got it earlier in the month. With 13 chapters clear and the game nearing the latter stages, I'm feeling like I'm not enjoying it anywhere near as much as many of you seem to :hmm:

It's good, but it certainly hasn't blown me away.. not yet, anyway :indeed: I enjoy the flying sections and then I feel like the on-foot sections overstay their welcome by a considerable distance to the point where I sometimes just want the level to end :hmm: Also, as much as I enjoy being in the air, I don't feel that what is on offer is as good as Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies..

I probably wouldn't go as far as to say I'm disappointed but I haven't been embracing Uprising as much as I expected to..

I've been playing a level of this every day or two since I got it earlier in the month. With 13 chapters clear and the game nearing the latter stages, I'm feeling like I'm not enjoying it anywhere near as much as many of you seem to :hmm:

It's good, but it certainly hasn't blown me away.. not yet, anyway :indeed: I enjoy the flying sections and then I feel like the on-foot sections overstay their welcome by a considerable distance to the point where I sometimes just want the level to end :hmm: Also, as much as I enjoy being in the air, I don't feel that what is on offer is as good as Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies..

I probably wouldn't go as far as to say I'm disappointed but I haven't been embracing Uprising as much as I expected to..

BURN HIM!!!!!

You should see Yahtzee's thoughts on it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5634-Kid-Icarus-Uprising

Quite apt on some parts.

That video is brilliant. I disagree most of it but it's funny.

The thing I do agree with though is falling down chasms. This irritates the fuck out of me. Some levels you don't and it's great, you have the confidence to dart around and it's great, the times I've fallen off when fighting enemies is infuriating. A pointless mechanic which would improve the game a lot if fixed!

With 13 chapters clear and the game nearing the latter stages
Hmm... :woops::heh:

It's a shame you're not enjoying it more though, / nando /. :hmm:

Hmm... :woops::heh:

..don't tell me there's more left than I think there is :eek:

..there were 21 chapters..?

::shrug:

..there were 21 chapters..?
::shrug:

It's good, but it's not right. :D

25 chapters! ;)

Just wait until chapter 18, if that one doesn't get you loving this game, then nothing will. :o

This has been the first game I've really enjoyed for quite a few years. It's worth the RRP for this song alone:

I realise I'm a bit late to this thread, but still :P

I played 3 chapters of Uprising today, concluding with the one @RedShell thought might be the little push I need to start really loving the game.. and it still wasn't really enough :eek:

It was cool that the formula was shaken up for that particular chapter but you kinda had me hoping for much more :heh: If anything, I perhaps preferred the previous chapter as it felt like you were basically flying through the entire level..

I played 3 chapters of Uprising today, concluding with the one @RedShell thought might be the little push I need to start really loving the game.. and it still wasn't really enough :eek:
Damn... Hard to please or what?! :heh:

Have you played online yet/much? If so, what do you make of that aspect of the game?

Although judging by how much you like the single player mode, I'm thinking I can guess the answer to this one... :hehe:

Damn... Hard to please or what?! :heh:

..no harm in that :wink:

Have you played online yet/much? If so, what do you make of that aspect of the game?

I haven't played online yet as I haven't actually felt any great desire to.. but I'm sure I will after I clear the solo campaign :smile:

I certainly don't dislike the game at all as I do genuinely enjoy it! I just haven't been blowing my load over it like some of you have.. :heh:

Right so I have this turning up later this week. What are people's tips?

How long should I wait to play online, or just go for it as soon as I feel comfortable with the mechanics?

I tried some online on day one, since I was playing with people of similar experience it went well, the same can't be said about you though. I suggest you turn to online play after your more attuned with the fast pace and ground mechanics. you should also pit yourself against some bots to start with, at least on level 5 difficulty. You might find it hard at first but it will help you get a feel for competitive multiplayer matches.

I tried some online on day one, since I was playing with people of similar experience it went well, the same can't be said about you though. I suggest you turn to online play after your more attuned with the fast pace and ground mechanics. you should also pit yourself against some bots to start with, at least on level 5 difficulty. You might find it hard at first but it will help you get a feel for competitive multiplayer matches.

Good point, no need to get whooped on in the early days. Will only put me off in the long run.

I'm really liking how dynamic this game is sounding. The idea of just trying to play through with really different weapon sets is pretty nice.

Is every one looking forward to their booster packs? The clock's ticking!

I'm not really looking forward to my packs, not until I get the album anyway.

on another note, anyone wanted an Uprising sequel from Sakurai? reaed on...

IGN asked if Project Sora had created a "lasting universe" the team could return to in future projects, to which Sakurai replied:

If by ‘lasting universe’ you mean to ask if there's a sequel, the answer is no.

Well, that's fairly cut and dry, then. But why?

Because we pushed a lot into the game in order to let people have this short yet deep experience, but the novelty of that would likely grow thin in the next game. For now, my thought is that perhaps we'll see someone else besides me make another Kid Icarus in another 25 years.

I'm not surprised, I still think we will see another Kid Icarus game on the WiiU eventually, but not from Sakurai.

Link

EDIT: just found some more from Sakurai.

“No matter how much you change a game's genre and whatnot for the times, I think it's vital you never lose your respect for the original game. With the first Kid Icarus, it's not a serious adventure - it has a more humorous bent to it, one you don't see in the original Legend of Zelda and Metroid that came out that generation. To embody that in a modern style, we made efforts not to have it seem like a run-of-the-mill battle - the story flow is really daring and unfolds in crazy ways that don't pay too much attention to the setting.”

Sakurai also addressed the comedic nature of the script, when asked about how the NA and Japanese versions differed.

“The Japanese version is definitely very comedic too. It's something that takes advantage of the nuances of Japanese conversation, and not all of it works directly in English. We had NOA handle the localization, and I told them to change the meaning and content as much as they want - that I wanted conversations that sound natural and enjoyable to a native speaker.”
Edited by -Dem0-

Is anyone going to the Birmingham event tomorrow between 12-4? or has anyone attended any of the other battle events.

I'II be attending, but for the streetpasses, rather than the battles.