NEurope
Retro_Link

Kid Icarus Uprising

Finally finished the game.

It's a fantastic game with a couple of issues. The controls need some getting used to when fighting on the ground and some of the levels are far too long, especially when you consider this a handheld game. Other than these small niggles, the game was a joy to play.

I adore the dialogue in this game. It's some of the best/funniest writing i've heard in a game since the Uncharted series. The way that the characters don't take the whole thing seriously is the key to the magic. The fact that they know they are in a game, their various references to other games, such as Metroid and Brain Training, all these things give the game a not too serious tone.

One of my favourite lines, if not my favourite line, has to be when Pit and Hades face off against each other and constantly repeat each others names. I laughed so hard when it happened and then again when they repeated it later.

Another funny moment was at the end of the credits when Hades voice starts rambling on about various stuff. Big thanks to RedShell, if not for him I would have missed that segment.

Just about every character brought something to the table in this game. None of them felt like filler and all of them had a personality. From Pit to Pyrrohn, I found all of them lovable.

It's easily one of the best Nintendo games in a LONG time and seems to have been crafted with care and attention. I do wonder though if the game was meant to end with the Medusa fight and be a release title for the 3DS, only for Sakurai to add a hell of a lot more content and extend the game.

:bowdown:

I loved it when

Pit got told off for mentioning that Komaytos look like Metroids.

And many other things.

I got the achievement for obtaining all the weapons today - luckily I managed to unlock the last few weapons by defeating certain bosses in crisis mode on my first attempts. I haven't made any more progress with the power portrait, though - still five to go. As for Viridi's treasure hunt, I've done around 102 now, which is more than I thought I'd ever manage, although I'm running out of achievements there that are definitely doable. Some of them shouldn't really be that hard, like defeating bosses with dash melee attacks, but it's annoying how easy it is to screw them up, which means having to go all the way through the level again to try again..

What's this crisis mode?

When you're low on health, and the health bar kind of explodes and disappears, then you're one hit away from death. You stay in crisis mode for 10-15 seconds, after which your health bar reappears, and you can take a few more hits.

I've almost finished Palutena's treasure board, just got the achievements where you gotta street pass and stuff left to do but I won't bother using a feather on them because I know I'll get it eventually :D

Okay... and how much of a difference to the bonuses play?! And doe the stats tell all, or is a star worth different depending on which weapon?!

It's up to you to decide whether a bonus is worth it or not depending on how you play. You can get various bonuses that boost attack power, defence power, stuff that increases the chance of inflicting poison/burning/freezing/paralysis/petrification, speed increases & many more. There are also negative bonuses which decrease the weapon's value and are generally a bad thing.

I'm not sure how much of an increase 1 star makes per weapon but the best way to tell is to go into the practice range and test out the various shots and melee attacks a weapon has to see how much damage they all do.

Ah does it tell you then? I'll check that out then and figure the weapon system!

Finished it about 7:30pm Monday what just went. I could have finished it way sooner, but spent a long time going for achievements/weapons/multiplayer to pad it out longer, as I didn't want the pure awesome to end! I've been doing hand strengthening exercises to make it a bit easier to control!

Still waaaaaaay off getting everything. Been using this pure awesome Silver Bow as its homing is mad, and then charged dash homing is insane powerful. It has Poison+1 and Health+6 on it. I actually win online now! Activate Quick Charge and you guys better run!

This has probably been my have 3DS game so far, better than Kart/3D Land. Mine only problem is, after all those awesome character interactions, the ending does some a bit short and limp in comparison.

Hey, has anyone received their booster packs of AR cards from Club Nintendo yet? I ordered some on the day of release and haven't gotten anything yet.

Hey, has anyone received their booster packs of AR cards from Club Nintendo yet? I ordered some on the day of release and haven't gotten anything yet.

Not yet. The stuff from them usually takes 6-8 weeks, so plenty of time to wait yet. :(

Had a go at chapter 5 on intensity 9.0...

...I didn't make it. :heh:

But I did come pretty close, and discovered a new intensity gate as a result! :yay:

It was a nice one too, a single room with no enemies, a treasure chest, and a cool throwback to the original Kid Icarus:

0lDft.jpg

For anyone that hasn't found this intensity gate, it's in the "bouncy time" area. You need to drop down into a lower section to reach it. ;)

Finally finished the game.

My favourite line ended up being this one:
during the re-match against Twinbellows, when Pit said this:

"We're gonna rack up some serious Nintendogs trainer points together!"

I think overall though, the funniest moments in the game come from Thanatos. :grin:

Especially when he does his...

Bat impression on chapter 7:

Keee keee! :laughing:

Pure gold! :laughing:

Makes me crack up, every time. :D

I do wonder though if the game was meant to end with the Medusa fight and be a release title for the 3DS, only for Sakurai to add a hell of a lot more content and extend the game.
That would've been horrible. :shakehead

If that was the case (which I'm doubting, purely because of the amount of content that comes after that chapter), then I'm so happy they held it back and made it into the beast of a game that it is today. :hehe:

Another funny moment was at the end of the credits when ***** ***** ****** ******** ** ***** ******* *****. Big thanks to RedShell, if not for him I would have missed that segment.
No problemo. :) I'd hate for anyone to miss out on that part.

I'm surprised they made it skippable to be honest.

One of my favourite lines, if not my favourite line, has to be when Pit and Hades face off against each other and constantly repeat each others names. I laughed so hard when it happened and then again when they repeated it later.

One of my favourite quotes:

Pit: "This stage is so big there was a loading screen"

Viridi: "Shhh, we're not supposed to talk about that"

Also, Pit's song in Chapter 6:

"You got to stay up beat, up beat, up beat...

Or you'll be dead meat, dead meat, dead meat"

Also, Dark Pit's theme theme is too good.

Also, Pit's song in Chapter 6:

"You got to stay up beat, up beat, up beat...

Or you'll be dead meat, dead meat, dead meat"

Was there another song Pit sang late in the game? I remember laughing at one of them.

I forgot to mention yesterday that this game has more twists and turns than a series of 24. There was so many moments that just came out of nowhere and slapped you in the face. :D

Was there another song Pit sang late in the game? I remember laughing at one of them.

Think he sings his own theme song or something at the start of a chapter?

Okay slowly beginning to understand the weapons. The stars are based on that type of weapon, so a high star on range with a club isn't as good as a low range with a staff for example. Make sense I suppose, but I wish they simplified it by just having more stars and it telling you in an instant which is better for what. Rather than needing an understanding of each weapon type to see how it affects that one.

Going to start playing online soon too. Braely touched it (6 mins). Is it a good way to get more weapons/hearts?!

Going to start playing online soon too. Braely touched it (6 mins). Is it a good way to get more weapons/hearts?!

Yes it is, and if you find yourself playing away from an internet connection you can play offline with bots using your own custom rules and still rake in hearts, weapons etc that way. :)

I stayed til the end credits and didn't get Hades talking. Just a feather picture. Unless you mean the end of the boss battle

I stayed til the end credits and didn't get Hades talking. Just a feather picture. Unless you mean the end of the boss battle

You need to wait there for quite a while for something to happen. Give it 3-4 minutes.

:yay:100% GET! :yay:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

2Dcbn.jpg

What a game. :love:

Really can't see anything topping it in the near future, definitely not this year anyway. :blank:

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 3DS comes to the end of its life cycle with this game still the best available for the system.

It's that good. :cool:

Weapons? Yes. :)

Powers? Yes. :)

Hearts? No. :(

Unless like, S.C.G suggested, you play against bots. But even then, you won't be collecting anywhere near the amount of hearts that you would playing Solo mode.

:yay:100% GET! :yay:

Nice one! :bowdown: So what do you actually need to do to get 100%? I've been crawling slowly through the 90s for the past fortnight. Still haven't made any progress with the powers for the past week or so either. :(

I'm also verrry slooowly getting closer and closer to completing Viridi's treasure hunt - four more achievements to go, then I can feather the rest. Not sure which ones I'm going to do for most of them, though - they're mostly either very tricky (e.g. beat level 11 without taking any damage) or rely on you getting through the whole stage before being able to go for it, like beating a boss with a dash melee attack, which is something I've always found hard.

Nice one Red Shell - i can sense that is an immense achievement. I am only like 30% done, haha. Still struggling with intensity 6.0. I always get dropped down to 5.0 after dying :red:

It annoys me really, as a few times now i have been doing perfectly and then just get owned by one new enemy i havn't faced before on land that charges at me or something. There are some enemies i still just dont know how to deal with. Like the kicking treasure-chest legs. Anything that charges after me actually! I can handle dodging projectiles pretty well. Still hate Powers too and their useless set-up.

Congrats @RedShell! :D I'm still at around 72% but I've taken a little bit of a break from it due to Rhythm Thief though I seemed to get back into Kid Icarus pretty majorly today as I took my 3DS out earning me some play coins which I naturally exchanged for eggs, netting me some idols. :)

I picked up this months ONM adding to my collection of cards by six, then for the past couple of hours I've been playing the multiplayer mode, winning the majority of Light vs Dark battles in around 2 mins or less getting somewhere between 250 - 450 hearts per game not including any extra I get from converting any extra obtained but unwanted weapons ;) granted it might not be anywhere near the amount of hearts I'd be getting if playing single player but still, not bad eh?

: peace: