NEurope
Retro_Link

Kid Icarus Uprising

It is possible to have a top trumps style battle with the cards but you need a 3DS to scan the cards and show the stats. Notice the arrows on the tops of the cards? Have them face each other then go into the game's AR mode and see what happens :)

I know about this but what I was getting at is that you need the 3DS to do that. As such, outside of the game, the cards are useless. If they had included the stats on the cards then it would have been great as you could have played Top Trumps or something War/whatever it's called. Just being nostalgic and remembering the fun I had going to school and playing Top Trumps on the train and kind of wish they'd have done something more with the cards as I doubt I'll touch the AR leaving me with 70-something cards that have no purpose (can't even use them for poker :indeed:).

Anyway, I did pick this up today. Only managed a half an hour with the game before I had to turn it off because I was getting cramp in my right hand thanks to some truly awful land battle controls. Admittedly, I'll have to spend more time to get used to them but I can't see myself being able to play for more than 30 minutes at a time as the default controls for the land sections in particular are terrible. Really, really could have done with dual sticks for those parts as turning is atrocious and the dodge mechanic doesn't work that well thanks to the circle pad not being particularly smooth in its use.

So that really was a dampener right out of the gate but I will stick with it as I have been waiting for a new Kid Icarus game for years (even if the end result isn't exactly how I feel this game should have been handled). Visuals are great though, and it's pretty much the only game I've played on the 3DS where I've had the 3D cranked up to full the whole time. Soundtrack is also pretty good (Can't just be me that gets a strong Kingdom Hearts feeling from Magnus' theme).

edit: should also say that I think the general design of the 3DS doesn't help with the controls either. Where I had no problems at all playing MP: Hunters and it's similar control scheme, here holding the 3DS and using that control scheme doesn't feel right for me.

Edited by Ganepark32

Have you tried using the stand? Bit silly I know but it helps... Also when you want to turn the camera just flick the stylus, like you were spinning a globe just like Palutena says lol. Maybe your circle pad needs wearing in cause mine is smooth as butter, then again I've had a PSP for over 5 years and the circle pad on that is still stiff lol.

Change the sensitivity in the options for land battles, it helps a lot. Stick at it, you'll get used to it.

Already cranked the sensitivity all the way up and it hasn't helped hugely (its the flicking which doesn't seem to work too well). I have noticed though that if I move the reticule in a direction and remove the stylus from the touch screen, the reticule keeps moving in that direction. It's like in older FPS' on the Wii where if you made the Wii-mote look away from the screen you'd start spinning around. Just find that rather strange.

Cleared up to chapter 5 so far but haven't strayed beyond 3.0 for difficulty as I want to get a feel for everything before properly cranking up the difficulty. Also experimenting a lot with the weapons and fusing. Currently using the Artillery Claws but will probably fuse that with something like the EZ Cannon or some type of Arms I created to see if I can get something more interesting.

For anyone collecting you can order missing cards online via Pannini

The maximum order for Gold cards is 5 (costing 80p each) and Maximum order for Base cards is 25 (costing 35p each)

Surely you can order separate lots of cards? I'd rather use this to complete the collection than drop hundreds of pounds on boosters.

You cant get number 404 I wanted that card

That's because card 403 and card 404 have odds of appearing 1 in every 64 packets and one in every 1600 packets.

If the card was for sale this way, everyone would buy it instead of dropping a ton of cash trying to find the card randomly.

Is there anyone here who came in the top 3 from the battle squad events? have you received any contact yet about the grand finale?

You seen how much the silver wing Dark Pit card is going for? Some people are wanting £300+ on ebay for it! Crazy.

Finished this last week but never got round to writing final impressions. It was a decent enough game. But as I've said before, it's not how I'd have wanted a new Kid Icarus game but I highly doubt Nintendo would take a huge gamble on making a massive action adventure title with the license seeing as it had been dormant for 20 odd years but perhaps moving forward, whoever gets the chance to make another game can look in that direction.

Anyway, felt it dragged a bit towards the end. Having to pull out the old trick of having you re-fight bosses again suggests they were looking for a way to elongate the game a little and it really wasn't necessary to have that in there twice, albeit bosses for the different sections in each instance. There were some decent sections in that last half (the Lightning Chariot was kinda cool) but it kind of lost the plot (quite literally as the story was just guff in the last set of chapters and didn't really explain a whole lot there).

Sadly, having completed the single player, I don't feel a need or desire to replay any of the chapters as there really wasn't anything standout that I want to replay. I have played a few on higher difficulties but doubt I'll play many more.

Similarly with the multiplayer. Not keen on that and although I've not played that many matches, I've played enough to get an idea of how it all works but to me, it feels as though it's the type of multiplayer that should be played on a console and definitely shows why the game would benefit from a second stick as it's all too easy to lose track of opponents online because of how fast paced it's trying to be (controls are still a sticking point for despite getting the hang of them).

Despite it not hitting the highs I'd have liked (as is happening a lot with Nintendo's recent output) I'd still like another Kid Icarus but without the 25 year wait. Hopefully on the Wii U, where they could use the HD and dual sticks, along with their take on the mythology, to create a dark and gritty action adventure title as Zelda seems to have stepped away from that a bit.

Series 2 cards...

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/24036/kid-icarus-uprising-has-some-new-ar-cards-coming-out

Kid Icarus: Uprising Has Some New AR Cards Coming Out

The second series of AR Cards for Kid Icarus: Uprising are set to begin trickling into the popular culture.

The Series 2 cards will feature different characters, weapons, enemies and items that appear in Uprising. There will also be cards representing locations found within the game, which is a first.

Some exposition from the press release:

The game recognizes these specially designed cards when viewed using the built-in camera of the Nintendo 3DS system. Viewing an AR Card with the game also unlocks the corresponding Idol on the AR Card, which reveals additional information about that card. Placing down two AR Cards at once will initiate an AR Card Battle in which players can watch the two Idols engage in combat. With the location AR Cards now available in Series 2, these AR Battles can even take place on backgrounds from different locations in the game. Players can even snap photos when the AR Card characters come to life, and then view them within the Nintendo 3DS Camera application.

Sure it's not just the first to be revealed from Series 2?... where there are probably a few hundred more for you to start dreaming about! :p
Nope, those "Series 2" cards are all available on the AR database already (and have been for some time now) and they are all just stuff that is featured in the game anyway.

This card (412) is the first to add something that wasn't in the game. ;) I'm assuming that 405, 409, 410 & 411 are also things that weren't in the game.

Been playing some Uprising recently, especially the multiplayer mode. The competition is MUCH better overall than when I was playing online earlier on in the year.

However, I still managed to get some good points at the end of matches.

This is my highest (I think) points tally at the end of a match:

n41vk.jpg

Haven't picked this up much since I started playing it near launch as a whole heap of real world stuff came up (you know... getting engaged etc :p )

Really want to hit it again but need to spend a decent amount of time adjusting my control sensitivity cos the default settings are complete wank! Really want to do more to take advantage of my street pass again as well :-)

Was looking through my Idol collection today, but in 3D (set to max!) this time... and my goodness, the 3D effect is downright outstanding. Especially when you look at monsters like the Three-Headed Hewdraw:

Hewdraw.png

You should also try to 'touch' it (I know, sounds silly) you think you're about to touch the screen, but in fact you'll be amazed that there's still some distance before reaching it!

Ive recently got this and im enjoying it. Although the land parts are causing my hands to get all cramped up :-/

Ive recently got this and im enjoying it. Although the land parts are causing my hands to get all cramped up :-/

You're not the only one, Sakurai has such bad wrists he's worried about development of Smash Bros 4.

Don't worry though, it's worth it, Kid Icarus is amazing and by far the best game on 3DS :D

You're not the only one, Sakurai has such bad wrists he's worried about development of Smash Bros 4.

:laughing:

Don't worry though, it's worth it, Kid Icarus is amazing and by far the best game on 3DS :D

:blank:

:laughing:
:nono:

:blank:
:rolleyes:

You know what I just cannot believe? (other than / nando /'s lack of love for this fantastic game :heh:) That it's been almost a year since the game got released and they still haven't distributed AR cards 405, 409, 410 & 411! :o

I'm not as obsessed about it as I used to be (thank God :D) but whenever I'm reminded of it (like now) it does my head in. :bouncy:

Japan keeps getting new "series" booster packs while we haven't had anything since the initial release. Sorta lost interest since they took to long to release them and I never found a WHSmith with the album.

I guess the unreleased cards were meant for special events/merchandise? The soundtrack came with #375, #408. Wonder if the Figma figures will come with an AR card?