Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

GoldenEye 007

Ren of Heavens

They've got a lot to live up to on the music for this. Grant Kirkhope now works for THQ. Could they draft him in?

They're really making an effort to get this one right! :awesome:

http://commanderbond.net/10732/david-arnold-to-score-activisions-goldeneye.html

Sample from the website:

http://goldeneyegame.com/media/audio/stealth.mp3

Sounds like a nice development of the style of both the original game and movie to boot.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone expecting a subscription service for online? Theres a lot of talk of Activision attempting to get some revenue with online - this years Bond games and COD would all prove a good introduction for them.

Hmm, t'is a good question. I personally don't think they will. It'd be pretty hard to justify making us pay for online when it's only 8 players max. Not saying that they still wouldn't do it eventually, but I'd have thought they'd wait until pay-to-play multiplayer was more common.

Of course, this is just my tiny brain whirring around! But let's hope we don't have to!

Dante, cheers for the video link - I'm actually thoroughly surprised at how good it looks! Of course, the first 2 mins or so retains the charm of the original to a certain extent, after that it is pretty much entirely different...but hell, I've played through Goldeneye 64 a million times so I need something new.

The only disappointing part is there's no Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan!

the first 2 mins or so retains the charm of the original to a certain extent, after that it is pretty much entirely different...but hell, I've played through Goldeneye 64 a million times so I need something new.

The only disappointing part is there's no Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan!

Quoted for Truth.

I'm actually very impressed with the lighting. It's giving me a real Resident Evil 4 vibe! Not that I should be surprised though, this is coming from the team that did Dead Space: Extraction, and that lighting was gorgeous.

Wow I'm really impressed! :)

I'm really liking the different direction they've taken with it and how they've managed to give a very different gameplay experience to the Dam and yet still retain a lot of the original charm and feel!

Graphics look very nice indeed! and voice acting was decent enough... though I'm not quite why M is saying Ourumov in that wierd way ::shrug: but still!

Hope they do just as good a job with the rest of the levels, but I think this is gonna be a definate purchase for me!

...just hope they've included a boat over to that other side of the Dam :D

Hope they do just as good a job with the rest of the levels, but I think this is gonna be a definate purchase for me!

...just hope they've included a boat over to that other side of the Dam :D

I know what you mean Retro, they really do appear to have taken a look at the original dam level and thought, "hmm, how do we make this more fitting today?". It's rare for developers to be so thoughtful and willing to achieve in today's gaming environment.

I just hope the controls work - I don't mind using a VC controller pro, just as long as it's easy and not a bother. But like yourself, I do hope the rest of the levels are just as well-thought out!

Goldeneye 007 Comic-Con 2010 Stage Demo

GoldenEye 007 Preview

The design team is promising that the new plot will still flow through some of the old choke points. To prove that, the latest demo build kicks off with an infiltration mission set at that dam in Russia - made famous in the movie with an incredible, near-silent freefall stunt, and subsequently made more famous in the game when some internet character did a speed run of the entire level in about 40 seconds.

GoldenEye is shaping up to be a comprehensive package, then. With online support and a range of control options, the biggest hurdle Activision's latest faces isn't the platform, so much as the fact the appeal of the original is so tangled up with nostalgia. Activision's well aware of that, just as it's aware it's not something you can simply tweak in the engine - unless there's a slider for rose-tinted viewing.

While it's too early to tell whether that name is a blessing or a curse, one thing's for sure. Memories of Rare's game will certainly keep this new instalment on people's radars, but it's ultimately up to Activision to make certain that people keep it in the disc drive of their Wiis too.

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

I wasn't entirely ecstatic about Goldeneye 007 making a return as the original N64 game remains my favourite FPS ever :heh:

Having said that, the video Dante posted did look quite promising and I'm starting to develop an interest in seeing what Activision can do with the game :hehe: My main problem so far is something that doesn't necessarily matter.. it's more of a niggle! It would have been so much cooler to see Pierce Brosnan and Sean Bean in there to further ramp up the nostalgia factor.. but we can't have everything :indeed:

I think not using them can also be a good thing. Helps differentiate the game somewhat...

..maybe so :heh: It defintely loses a little of that Goldeneye feeling for me though.. but I guess when you're running along in first person, you won't really notice anyway :indeed:

I really can't get nostalgic over the multiplayer aspect of the game - it's almost completely different from the original! Even the game mechanics for it are entirely different! It does look like it's just Call of Duty but Bond.

Don't misinterpret me, I think it looks like pretty good fun, but as time goes on I'm beginning to see less and less of a link between old and new, and rather a cash-in on the title that's had a heck of a lot more effort applied to it.

If this game wasn't called Goldeneye I imagine the hype for it would be nowhere near as high as it currently is!

/cynicism - I'm still wanting to play some 4-player split-screen!

"That helicopter looks EMP-hardened":nono:

That's like saying "that car looks like it's Ipod-compatible", or "that computer looks like it's got a Photoshop installed".

But this does look like a great game. I just hope the game won't be full of such stupid story solutions.

And is it just me, or does Goldeneye seem to be as fast paced at the original, rather than modern games like CoD?

Played this in multiplayer yesterday with three other people at Nintendo's event in London. It was definitely fun, although the visuals had been scaled down a lot to compensate for four local players. It seemed kind of unbalanced at times when Oddjob was involved, as his hats are essentially a 1-hit kill.

Also, what the fuck have they done to Sean Bean?!

Played this in multiplayer yesterday with three other people at Nintendo's event in London. It was definitely fun, although the visuals had been scaled down a lot to compensate for four local players. It seemed kind of unbalanced at times when Oddjob was involved, as his hats are essentially a 1-hit kill.

Also, what the fuck have they done to Sean Bean?!

When you say fun, how fun do you mean? Fun as in on a similar scale to the fun experienced playing the original Goldeneye/PD or fun as in, it's alright but you won't play it forever?

Tbh I'm looking forward to this more as a single player campaign... &/or co-op if it has one?!

I'm sure the multiplayer will be decent, but I'm not really expecting it to have the same feel as the original... I think it's better to approach it as it's own experience.

And honestly, I think it's an impossible task for them to recreate the original experience, for me at least, because that was gaming gold from the past, nostalgia is always going to win through, all night sessions of 4 player goldeneye are something we all remember too fondly!

So I'll just take this as it comes, and if it delivers then great, if not, well then I'm sure it will be fun enough to play every now and then, and being online this time may be enough to paper over some things!

Can always fire up the old N64 anyway!... not that I have anyone around to really play it with nowadays!

And honestly, I think it's an impossible task for them to recreate the original experience, for me at least, because that was gaming gold from the past, nostalgia is always going to win through, all night sessions of 4 player goldeneye are something we all remember too fondly!

Indeed! I'm not looking for a recreation of exactly the same experience, I know for a fact that it won't be that but I just want something on a similar level of fun, as in worth staying up and playing.

It can be its own experience and be a great one at that. I just don't want it to be forgotten in no time like Turok Rage Wars or some shite like that...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!