N-Europe

Sonic Colours

mcj metroid

This title has been shaping up pretty nicely over the past few months, I must admit at first I was a tad skeptical but it genuinely seems to be a decent Sonic title - in the case of the Wii version at least - that should go some way to putting Sonic back on the map in terms of decency.

Sonic 4 is already helping the reputation of the series along nicely and this seems to be only adding to to it in a positive way.

Roll-on release day and colour me somewhat excited. :)

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonic 4 is already helping the reputation of the series along nicely .

Within casual gamers and about half the gaming press, yes, possibly.

But most core gamers have had plenty of issues with Sonic 4. I've seen many Sonic fans find the physics completely unforgivable to a point where they see the game as being as bad as Sonic 2k6.

===== QUOTE S.C.G ====

Sonic 4 is already helping the reputation of the series along nicely .

===== /QUOTE ====

Within casual gamers and about half the gaming press, yes, possibly.

But most core gamers have had plenty of issues with Sonic 4. I've seen many Sonic fans find the physics completely unforgivable to a point where they see the game as being as bad as Sonic 2k6.

Yes but despite these problems the general consensus is this game is a return to form and a good marker for the future!game is certainly not in the league of sonic 2006!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I believe you're mistaking the word "fans" for "fanboys".

No, because I'm talking about the kind of people who've fucking hated the games and not really played any of them for the last 6+ years as they're long since past the point of tolerating Sega's bullshit.

Then of course the obvious point is "well they'd hate the game anyway" but some of the people in question ARE hyped for Colours, Sonic 4 was just genuinely too bad for them to like.

I played the whole game and although I "enjoyed" it, I can easily admit the game is a fucking mess compared to what you'd expect for a glorious continuation of the classic games. The physics are just not fucking right at all.

This video is from the final build.

The big issue too is the game was by Dimps who've made every 2D Sonic game since Sonic Pocket Adventure. Somehow, despite all those years of experience, they still couldn't deliver decent physics, despite there being little to no physics issues in the handheld games.

Edited by James McGeachie

oh my god does he really come to a complete stop when you let go of the direction button?

haha oh sweet jesus.

I knew they'd fuck something up when it became clear that the developers didn't know crap about past sonic games in interviews.

Edited by mcj metroid

If you like whining about Sonic than the physics will affect the whole game. If you just want to enjoy it then you'll adjust within a minute and will never have to worry about it.

I was against this game from the very start i will that, So I haven't been hurt by any of these disappointments

Sonic 4 is aiming at fans of the classic games and most of those fans just don't like it very much. I keep hearing about the problems of the physics and this isn't people just " whining" like you suggest, these are valid points. It simply controls differently and it wasn't needed. it adds gameplay elements that weren't needed and feels like a modern day sonic 1/2 level design... Not that that's bad but sonic 3 had improved that in a big way.

If you approach it, and never played the sonic series before then yes you'll probably like it hence the positive reviews and as a downloadable game I suppose it isn't bad looking either.

another Ngamer(dutch magazine) review:

Score: 8

Pro's: Sonic is back to basic, finally. Switching between 3D and 2D works well and the Wisps are fun.

Con's: Sonic dies alot because of the game, not because of the player. Several new additions are copy pastes from Super Mario Galaxy. If you don't want to unlock secrets, games over within 10 hours.

sinse when is 10 hours a bad thing, i dont want a 50 hour sonic game:hmm:

So thats 4 good reviews with scores passing 8 (ONM = 8.6 , NGamerUK = 8.6, Nintendo power = 9, Ngamer NL = 8)

Could it really be true? a good 3d sonic game, thank you sega!:hug:

That's the complete opposite of what NGamer said.

yea its kinda true what you say there, was reading the article again. The reviewer says that the game is blazing fast and sometimes you need to home on a sping and you dont have the time to react to that.

That has more to do with your speed, when it comes to pressing buttons.

yea its kinda true what you say there, was reading the article again. The reviewer says that the game is blazing fast and sometimes you need to home on a sping and you dont have the time to react to that.

That has more to do with your speed, when it comes to pressing buttons.

Not strictly true...its as much a level design issue. If they make such springs at points where you going full pelt and they appear last minute then they've designed the level to be that way. Whilst yes it could be said that they are doing this to introduce a challenge making some levels time and time again. However if this is happening time and time again I think its likely its poor level design. It's like when they make pits of doom with no warning at all how the hell are you meant to know and react that it will be there!

Not strictly true...its as much a level design issue. If they make such springs at points where you going full pelt and they appear last minute then they've designed the level to be that way. Whilst yes it could be said that they are doing this to introduce a challenge making some levels time and time again. However if this is happening time and time again I think its likely its poor level design. It's like when they make pits of doom with no warning at all how the hell are you meant to know and react that it will be there!

Depends on which level, and which kind of spring we're talking about. If it is an optional one, no worries. If it's a "press it or die", then it's understandable in the later levels, where things are much more frenetic.

Either way, if you can see the spring, but didn't react the first time, odds are you're not repeating the same mistake.

Mmm, I gave it a good go. The DS version feels a lot more like Rush than I was expecting it to. Not necessarily a bad thing for many people, it's just... I dunno... was expecting something a little different.

Well all the screen shots made it look pretty similar and having watched a video for the DS game the other day, it pretty much confirmed it. The use of the wisps didn't look to be making the thing any more fun though. In fact, their implementation seemed a bit ropey and possibly game breaking. The person was using the fire wisp and just lying over the level. And the music that came on when they did sounded pretty bad to the ears as well.

But I'll make sure to check the demo out though.

Actually, that reminds me, I deleted the Nintendo Channel to make way for Sonic 4 - will need to have a clear out or buy an SD card... one or the other.

Tried the DS demo yesterday... first time I've ever used that feature on the DS!! :D

Can't say I was all that impressed by it though tbh... it seemed like it could do with more work, I didnt find the controls all that intuative and I'm not keen on the switching between the top and bottom screen at all. I didn't think much of the level design either... just seemed standard and unimaginative. Underwhelming game.

Though I expect much more from the Wii version and am quite looking forward to it... though Goldeneye, DKCR, Epic Mickey are riding above it atm.

I played the demo and wasn't all that impressed :hmm: I may play Sonic Rush later to try to see how that compares but, to be honest, after downloading Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 and feeling a bit of that old Sonic magic, I missed that vibe when it wasn't there during the Sonic Colours demo..

I played the demo and wasn't all that impressed :hmm: I may play Sonic Rush later to try to see how that compares but, to be honest, after downloading Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 and feeling a bit of that old Sonic magic, I missed that vibe when it wasn't there during the Sonic Colours demo..

Yeah same here. Colours is very glitzy and wow but theres something missing. Also don't thing the graphics are all that great. Could do with being a bit more stylized rather than trying to look amazing which they fail at.

I tried the demo after downloading the channel again and I'm not going to say it wasn't worth it, because it's free, but it didn't strike as much different from Sonic Rush games and that shouldn't be a surprise really.

I don't think it felt as fast as those games and I noticed they changed Sonic's running animation... doesn't affect the gameplay but it seemed odd to my eyes after ages spent playing Rush and Adventure.

I didn't like the fire wisp thingy too much. Effectively allowing you to fly, it felt a touch out of place to me. And whether it was just lower quality audio to keep the file size down or not, the music for the wisp was as bad as I feared.

I don't miss not being able to do tricks and I liked the way the homing attack is far more useful in this one that the others. The wall jump is cool too.

I've got my preorder in with ShopTo for Wii version as it's only £24.85 right now.

And the IGN review is in with a respectable 8.5 - they also have a video review up.

They also have the DS review if you are interested - gets the same score despite lower marks for Presentation, Graphics and Sound - Gameplay and Lasting Appeal get the same on both.

well that settles it then, just waiting for the gametrailers review, but its now known that this game is NOT going to suck.