Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Visiting London

Oxigen_Waste

I have to say I really liked the underground in Berlin. No faffing around with putting your ticket through machines and walking through gates, you just walk down the stairs and immediately get to the platform and you jump on the train. It was great. (not that it's free though, we had tickets.)

Yeah it was lovely in Berlin. So easy.

I bought a ticket for every ride/day, which was a bit silly...I never once encountered an inspector. But I guess you're meant to etc.

We just bought a week pass. I forgot mine one day and felt so guilty/scared being on the train that I bought a day ticket for that day haha.

But yeah, great system really. Should be like that everywhere.

I really like the underground too' date=' granted I've never been on any other underground system but the thing really is amazing. It's way way better than any other public transport system in the country - plus it's usually quite good fun to ride.[/quote']

Agreed... except for when it's busy. Off peak it's fine, but squeezing in when the cars are packed is a pain, and if you don't live there and have an Oyster card the queues for the machines can be ridiculous. That's when it's probably quicker to get a bus.

I genuinely don't understand why anyone visiting London doesn't just buy an Oyster card at the start of their trip, get all of their transport sorted and refund anything left over at the end. It amazes me they even allow you to have a paper ticket anymore.

I genuinely don't understand why anyone visiting London doesn't just buy an Oyster card at the start of their trip' date=' get all of their transport sorted and refund anything left over at the end. It amazes me they even allow you to have a paper ticket anymore.[/quote']

Paper tickets are useful if you're just passing through, like I regularly do to get to the Eurostar. Actually, I should probably get an Oyster Card and use that...hmm. I'm talking to myself now, haha.

How good are London buses? I've never used one. Would it benefit OxyWaste in any way? Or is he better off using the tube?

True, I suppose it depends how often you visit, a couple of times a year makes it worth having an Oyster card on hand, or if you're in the city for extended periods of time. It also frees you up with having to buy any extra tickets if you decide to go away from your planned routes.

As for other things to do, I remember the open top bus ride being pretty good fun as a kid. My flatmate and I are going to go on it this Sunday if the weather is nice.

How good are London buses? I've never used one. Would it benefit OxyWaste in any way? Or is he better off using the tube?

The buses are good, lots of bus lanes so you zip past the queues quite easily. Depends on the trip being made as to whether you'd pick bus or tube though.

I have to say I really liked the underground in Berlin. No faffing around with putting your ticket through machines and walking through gates, you just walk down the stairs and immediately get to the platform and you jump on the train. It was great. (not that it's free though, we had tickets.)

Word to that.

Yeah it was lovely in Berlin. So easy.

I bought a ticket for every ride/day, which was a bit silly...I never once encountered an inspector. But I guess you're meant to etc.

I got my ticket inspected, they're like ninja's in plain clothes with a pass around their neck. Everyone was crapping themselves when they jumped on (we were oblivous to them being inspectors), it got a bit embarassing because I didn't understand them. :red:

You must not have been to Tokyo then.

I have been to Tokyo, love the subway system there although it takes a little while to understand at first and it's a bit crazy how some Tokyo metro trains switch to JR mid-journey if you're going out to the suburbs. I meant appreciation of of the London Underground system, and was only really talking about this country - people who aren't used to London tend to be in awe of it, whereas those used to it often find it a bit crap. All generalisations of course.

Actually that's a good idea, Will - nearly every city I've been to abroad I've hopped on one of those sightseeing buses. You get a lot of the sightseeing out of the way, and it's a good way to keep an eye out for places/things to do.

With it being london, a tour down the thames is another potential tourist thing to do.

Aside from that, I don't know london at all so I couldn't recommend anything groovy.

I genuinely don't understand why anyone visiting London doesn't just buy an Oyster card at the start of their trip' date=' get all of their transport sorted and refund anything left over at the end. It amazes me they even allow you to have a paper ticket anymore.[/quote']

Well it depends how many stops you're getting on and off at. Last time I went I got on/off at about 8 stops. Plus with young persons you get a zone 1-6 all dayer for £5. Bargain. If you're going all over the place.

The tube is good for nothing, other than the utility it provides; quick transport between London landmarks.

If you want the "tube experience," lock yourself in a room directly above a volcanic faultline along the chilean coast, with an ethnic variety of disgruntled, impatient and sweaty people, who will often grip at whatever dripping clot of flesh or extremity they can in order to maintain balance.

Also, apparently, if you come to London, don't ask me for my phone

In joke ftw!

I believe a young persons Oyster card caps at about £4.50 - not entirely sure, but it's about that. I'd be very surprised if theres a situation where you can buy a paper ticket and have it cost less than using Oyster for the same thing.

If you want the "tube experience," lock yourself in a room directly above a volcanic faultline along the chilean coast, with an ethnic variety of disgruntled, impatient and sweaty people, who will often grip at whatever dripping clot of flesh or extremity they can in order to maintain balance.

Otherwise known as "One Night in Bard".

And hi-five for the paled out bit I have excluded from this quotation.

You're mean! :(. But still:

Up high!

I think I'll continue to update...

Go to Brick Lane; there's nothing particularly monumental or anything there, and to be honest, I don't know how it will appear to someone who doesn't live here, but it has a very gypsy market feel which I like, cool cafe's and bagel shops. Also I go there quite frequently, so if I see a large Portugese man walking the streets, I won't hesitate to mount.