Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

Yeah I remember the same from living in scotland as well, but people tend to be a little more accepting of Scottish notes than Irish.

I think the reason behind it is that most people think the whole of ireland uses the euro, when it's half euro half sterling! Two currencies in one country, god only knows what they were thinking!

Anecdote! Someone in Kyoto was telling me how her friend works on the side that takes Euros, and lives on the side that takes Stirling (or the other way round) and thus has to carry two wallets around.

You kerazy Irish!

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Lib Dem standing in the polls, even if those were the numbers in the election (33% Lib Dem, 32% Tory, 28% Labour or whatever the latest one was)they'd still have the least seats of the 3 main parties.

Having the least seats matters little in a hung parliament. Each bit of legislation will require the co-operation of two parties and the chances of Labour and the Tories getting on enough to push through legislation together are incredibly remote. It'll be the Lib Dem seats that they'll both be looking to recruit. They'll hold the balance of power in parliament, whoever they side with will get their way.

It's not quite like actually having a decent number of seats, they'll struggle to get their own proposals through, but it's still a lot more power than they've had in almost 100 years.

Also, an interesting little read;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/18/clegg-media-elite-murdoch-lib-dem

An ex-editor of The Sun describing the relationship between government and media and why the Liberal Democrats will have certain papers worried.

In the event we actually soldier on indefinitely with a hung parliament, yes. But more likely Labour, having won the least amount of votes, would be in far the best position to try and form a government.

Here's an excellent article on what the current polls would mean if theyh translated into votes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/17/1

Here's an excellent article on what the current polls would mean if theyh translated into votes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/17/1

Ah yes, I read that - people are suddenly seeing the poll numbers and the seat numbers, and getting annoyed. The current system essentially puts the decision in 20% of the population fortunate enough to live in a marginal constituency.

I think current affairs occasionally comes up in model interviews.

Although page 3 current affair 'debates' are some of the most amazingly moronic statements to ever be uttered. Its one of those things you love but know you shouldn't.

And their opinions on current affairs.

(Or is that just the page 3 models? I wouldn't know.)

Hahahah. That absolutely cracks me up.

I love hearing what 21 year old toplessss women in their thongs from Essex think about the Iraq War. It can be quite a comical read sometimes. Whoever thought that would be a good idea is a genius.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Anyone else noticed that all N-Europe seems to read is The Guardian?

Well nowadays it's the paper of the intellectual liberal, so it's no surprise to find it popular amongst a bunch of nerds in Europe.

Anyway, Private Eye, my paper of choice, will be interesting next issue...

Today's polling figures are interesting:

Conservative/Labour/Liberal Democrats

Populus: 32/28/31

Angus Reid: 32/23/33

YouGov: 31/26/31

Looks like the "48 hour boost" after the debates isn't quite on the right time scale. I think it'll take a major gaff or something special from the next debate to change the current trend of polling figures. One thing is certain - Labour are now a solid 3rd.

Edited by The fish
Automerged Doublepost

I just love the fact that this Lib Dem boost has really thrown the tories off. It would be unbelievably awesome if after 2 and a half years of inevitable victory, the Lib Dems just ruined everything for the Conservatives. Imagine them out of power for another 5 years - 18 in total (or the amount of time they stayed in for last time :heh:)

That article was an incredible load of bile. The headline may well have been "Know your place, peasants!" I was watching a Torie spokesperson on Question Time harping about how they were the only people who could provide "stable" government because they *could* still win an overall majority. COULD. Wasn't so long ago that Cameron was seen as a PM in waiting.

Incidentally today's Yougov polls shows the LibDems with 34%, beating the Tories by 3%. The Populus poll shows the Tories leading with 32% and LibDems on 31%. Labour languish with 26% and 28% Oh god I hope the LibDems can keep this up. If they even get anywhere near 100 seats it'll be massive - I don't expect them too in the end but they should still get decent gains. Fingers crossed!

It's the fear-mongering being spread by the papers that really gets me. They've invested so heavily in backing David Cameron that now that it's looking like the Lib Dems are going to be king-makers (if not outright winners) they have no idea what to do.

A hung parliament is not a bad thing, we've had it in Scotland for 11 years without any major problems, most major European countries have one as well and they're doing fine.

At least one good thing will come out of it if the Lib Dem polling bubble translates to votes on election day. We'll get some form of proportional representation and we'll have less wasted votes.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!