Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Android Thread

david.dakota

Are the Samsung phones able to play iOS games? I'm not down on my Smartphone shit [since I have a Blackberry]

As soon as I have enough money I'm paying off this contract and taking either an iPhone or one of the Samsung models* on Pay as you go.

*Since nearly all my previous phones were Samsungs and haven't let me down.

I have the S2 with Orange for £26 a month after having a Blackberry that cost me more.

I'll never go back, it's great and does everything you expect it too, possibly it does more than the iPhone in terms of customisation, I'm not sure.

I have the S2 with Orange for £26 a month after having a Blackberry that cost me more.

I'll never go back, it's great and does everything you expect it too, possibly it does more than the iPhone in terms of customisation, I'm not sure.

Yeah, my new plan is to get a S3 a little after it comes out. 3 seem to have a good deal, All-you-can-eat-data, 2,000 minutes, 5,000 Three-to-Three minutes, 5,000 texts for £34 a month, with 0 upfront. Considering the unit is going for around £500 on itself, it seems like a alright bargain.

Not sure what Orange have on it yet, their website just has a "register your interest" bit. But I'm low on funds anyway so time isn't of the essence.

Yeah, my new plan is to get a S3 a little after it comes out. 3 seem to have a good deal, All-you-can-eat-data, 2,000 minutes, 5,000 Three-to-Three minutes, 5,000 texts for £34 a month, with 0 upfront. Considering the unit is going for around £500 on itself, it seems like a alright bargain.

Not sure what Orange have on it yet, their website just has a "register your interest" bit. But I'm low on funds anyway so time isn't of the essence.

Yeah Orange suck for new phones, so I wouldn't go with them, the only reason I have is because I've been with them so long that they give me some good deals for things like abroad.

My friend is with 3 and hates their support, their customer service can be pretty dire, but their data plans can't really be beaten. I'd go for it :)

See if you can test what the network performance for three will be like in your area. I switched to them in December and it has been hell ever since, and will be for another 18 months. Will be going back to giffgaff with a sim free phone in future.

3's customer service is a joke. My camera stopped working on my HTC Wildfire, I took it in to the shop and was assured that as it was under contract I could send it away and have it fixed free of charge, plus for the 7-10 days it would be gone they would meanwhile give me a loaner phone.

The loaner was a Skypephone, which would have been fine except theey turned the Skype servers off a couple of years ago. So it was essentially no better than a 3310. Thats ok, I can live with it for a week...except 2 weeks later, I still hadn't heard a thing about my phone. Eventually I got a phonecall from them saying that the phone was actually water damaged, and that wasn't covered under warranty, so I could either pay them some extortionate amount to have them fix it or I could pay £20 for the privilege of them sending me my phone back. Annoyed, I agree to the £20 charge with the intention of kicking up a fuss at the shop when I go to collect it.

So when it finally does make its way back I go in to complain. I was assured that it was going to be free, that it was definitely under warranty, etcetc. Turns out, the guy in the shop is supposed to check the indicator for water damage before it's sent away, in fact before I even complete the transaction. But he didn't, and because of his incompetancy I had to go around with a shitey phone for almost a month, have my phone NOT get repaired after all that, and paid £20 for the privilege. The manager in the shop was so unhelpful, refusing to believe that one of his staff could have made such a mistake. I mean come on, why would I have sent it away otherwise? I was assured it would be free and easy. But no, my staff are trained to look for that, so they wouldn't have done that. Eventually I walked out of the shop with him in mid-sentence because if I didn't I would have started shouting at him.

So, yeah; 3 are fine, just don't expect your phone to get fixed if it's broken in any way.

The UK does seem to have a very competitive mobile market - I follow some American Android sites and (from what I can gather) phone's in America usually have one contract (perhaps two if a phone happens to be on two providers). Just one option. Over here we have a vast array of different contracts, and you can reduce the monthly cost if you want to buy more for the handset. You can even simply buy the phone on it's own without the contract (which is very rare in America).

Their customer service has been great for me.

As always, it varies. We work with Three at my work and we do get a lot of people who tend to be quite unhappy.

That said, this is the best deal I've been on with Orange for a long time, we found out that they had been adding deals to my phone (blackberry) making it £30-35 a month depending on my usage, now it doesn't go above £26, which is fantastic, specially given it's a much better phone.

I don't really see much point in upgrading to an S3 mind, I can't see a huge amount of difference, I'm just seeing the same thing that happens with the iPhone - better camera (which technically the cameras are about the same at 8megapixel) and a better screen - correct? :wtf:

I don't really see much point in upgrading to an S3 mind, I can't see a huge amount of difference

Because my Blackberry has turned into an annoying piece of shit. Maybe even if the net speed was decent I'm getting sick of the constant scrolling and uncontrollable zoom function when viewing websites. Plus it won't let me save any new numbers.

I was only looking at the SIII since it's soon to be released and it seems a reasonable amount considering how much the handset would cost alone.

I can also get just under £50 from Mazuma/Envirofone for my Blackberry which means I can get a new chair.

The UK does seem to have a very competitive mobile market - I follow some American Android sites and (from what I can gather) phone's in America usually have one contract (perhaps two if a phone happens to be on two providers). Just one option. Over here we have a vast array of different contracts, and you can reduce the monthly cost if you want to buy more for the handset. You can even simply buy the phone on it's own without the contract (which is very rare in America).

Yeah it's the same in canada, really lack of competition. There are basically two companies Rogers and Bell who have exclusives on all the best phones...other companies have appeared in the last year or so but they are actually owned by the same companies and don't offer new phones.

Take for example the HTC One X. Timed exclusive on Rogers I think and only two contract types and if you want to say add extra things you pay way over the odds...

Doesn't Canada also have a strong trend towards 3 year contracts?

Not a strong trend you have to take a phone on a 3 year contract unless you want a stupid old phone, like previous models of blackberry curves are on lower for example.

Because my Blackberry has turned into an annoying piece of shit. Maybe even if the net speed was decent I'm getting sick of the constant scrolling and uncontrollable zoom function when viewing websites. Plus it won't let me save any new numbers.

I was only looking at the SIII since it's soon to be released and it seems a reasonable amount considering how much the handset would cost alone.

I can also get just under £50 from Mazuma/Envirofone for my Blackberry which means I can get a new chair.

I meant more in terms of the difference between the S2 and S3, I was thrilled to get rid of my Blackberry.

Ah yes, sorry I'm with ye now.

After consulting with some members of the Nottingham Massive, O2 seems a good choice for mobile nettings. Having a look at their deals, It's £249.99 for the handset and £21.50 a month giving around £765. It does mean maybe waiting a month or two extra than I originally planned. But since I've just checked I only have less than 7 months left on current contract it won't be that bad.

Yeah I'm still in two minds about what to get.

I can get the HTC One X much cheaper and on a better contract but the battery issue concerns me as my Desire annoys the hell out of me with battery as it is. Although what's to say the SIII won't be similar? After all it's got the same size screen and is quad core. It does have a bigger capacity battery though...

Gahhhh what to do?

Is the One X battery really that bad or am I just reading internet reviews from the minority and infact for every 1 moan about the battery there are hundreds of people who are happy?

Someone at work has the One X and he doesn't have any problems with it. The screen looks amazing, too (by far the best I've seen on a phone).

Apparently the main battery drain is the "4G LTE", which isn't even available in this country (as far as I'm aware).

Cheers guys.

Went for the HTC One X.

The more I read and watched reviews on the S3 the more I disliked the look of it and the Samsung TouchWiz software. I'm used to Sense and I think the One X looks better in my opinion.

Yes S3 has a removable battery which is bigger than the One X and it also has SD card support but those were the only things swaying it over the One X for me. To be honest I can live without SD card support. 32 Gig plus cloud space is more than enough and I can transfer stuff with a cable happily. The Battery was the concern but I've been reading a lot on the One X and I think with my general use it will get through the day and I'm happy to charge every night (do that now anyway).

The final decider was the cost. The S3 was being priced up with an iPhone 4S and to get a good deal I would have needed to be tied down to a 2 year contract which I wasn't happy about.

In the end got the One X on £27 per month 18 month contract with 300 minutes, unlimited texts, 500MB data, £79.99 payment for the phone. (O2 customer). Happy with that.

Edited by Platty

Cheers guys.

Went for the HTC One X.

The more I read and watched reviews on the S3 the more I disliked the look of it and the Samsung TouchWiz software. I'm used to Sense and I think the One X looks better in my opinion.

Yes S3 has a removable battery which is bigger than the One X and it also has SD card support but those were the only things swaying it over the One X for me. To be honest I can live without SD card support. 32 Gig plus cloud space is more than enough and I can transfer stuff with a cable happily. The Battery was the concern but I've been reading a lot on the One X and I think with my general use it will get through the day and I'm happy to charge every night (do that now anyway).

The final decider was the cost. The S3 was being priced up with an iPhone 4S and to get a good deal I would have needed to be tied down to a 2 year contract which I wasn't happy about.

In the end got the One X on £27 per month 18 month contract with 300 minutes, unlimited texts, 500GB data, £79.99 payment for the phone. (O2 customer). Happy with that.

Urgh here is the Canadian bundle I'm getting for the same phone...

a 3 YEAR contract at $62.35 (plus tax) for 200 minutes, unlimited texts 1GB of Data, $169.99 payment for phone.

It's exclusive to them and the only over tariff you can get is $52 which swaps an extra 100 minutes in at the expense of data as it comes with just 500MB....

So depressing the land of rip of phones I am about to enter.