Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Android Thread

david.dakota

Thanks for the help on my previous issue folks, the battery is actually working ok now. However, I now have ANOTHER issue with my HTC One X.

I was on my mobile network whilst on the train this morning, watching a YouTube video. Right at the end, it started buffering, so I quit the app. However, after that, I was unable to get a connection. The connection icon still showed in the top bar, but the arrows were greyed out and remaied static. I tried turning my phone on and off, to no avail. So I called o2 customer service for help, and it appeared it was my APN settings that was the issue. After following thier steps, it still didn't work, so I reset to defaults and it still didn't work. I called the customer services again, and followed thier help again, but to no avail. Here's the guide I used:

1. Tap the Applications key

2. Tap Settings

3. Tap Mobile network

4. Tap Access Point Names

5. Tap the 3 dots on the Top Right of the sceen

6. Tap New APN

7. Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Pay Monthly then tap OK

8. Tap APN then tap the text box and enter wap.o2.co.uk then tap OK

9. Tap Proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

10. Tap Port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

11. Tap Username then tap the text box and enter o2wap then tap OK

12. Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK

13. Skip past Server as this is preset as Not set

14. Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 then tap OK

15. Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

16. Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

17. Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK

18. Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK

19. Tap Authentication type and tap PAP

20. Tap APN type and type Internet + MMS

21. Press the 3 Dots on the Top Right of the screen

22. Tap Save

23. Tap the circle next to the new profile so a green dot appears in it

24. Press the Back key four times to return to the main menu.

25. Switch your handset off and then back on to complete your settings.

All the info is there in the APN, but there's no circle icon to select the connection option, meaning I can't follow step 23, and there's no way to get access.

Any ideas anyone? Sorry for the long post. :/

Thanks for the help on my previous issue folks, the battery is actually working ok now. However, I now have ANOTHER issue with my HTC One X.

I was on my mobile network whilst on the train this morning, watching a YouTube video. Right at the end, it started buffering, so I quit the app. However, after that, I was unable to get a connection. The connection icon still showed in the top bar, but the arrows were greyed out and remaied static. I tried turning my phone on and off, to no avail. So I called o2 customer service for help, and it appeared it was my APN settings that was the issue. After following thier steps, it still didn't work, so I reset to defaults and it still didn't work. I called the customer services again, and followed thier help again, but to no avail. Here's the guide I used:

1. Tap the Applications key

2. Tap Settings

3. Tap Mobile network

4. Tap Access Point Names

5. Tap the 3 dots on the Top Right of the sceen

6. Tap New APN

7. Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Pay Monthly then tap OK

8. Tap APN then tap the text box and enter wap.o2.co.uk then tap OK

9. Tap Proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

10. Tap Port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

11. Tap Username then tap the text box and enter o2wap then tap OK

12. Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK

13. Skip past Server as this is preset as Not set

14. Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 then tap OK

15. Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

16. Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

17. Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK

18. Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK

19. Tap Authentication type and tap PAP

20. Tap APN type and type Internet + MMS

21. Press the 3 Dots on the Top Right of the screen

22. Tap Save

23. Tap the circle next to the new profile so a green dot appears in it

24. Press the Back key four times to return to the main menu.

25. Switch your handset off and then back on to complete your settings.

All the info is there in the APN, but there's no circle icon to select the connection option, meaning I can't follow step 23, and there's no way to get access.

Any ideas anyone? Sorry for the long post. :/

So how much do you get out of one charge? Sorry nothing to do with your issue just it's the phone I am thinking of getting.

Okay. So I just sat through and watched the Samsung Galaxy SIII launch. Looks and sounds incredible to be honest. Out on May 29th which is within my upgrade time. Due 5th June but can upgrade early 5th May.

NOW what to do??? HTC One X? or Samsung Galaxy SIII? I have the Desire at present so I'm used to HTC and do love it but the battery life worries me on the One X from reviews. Choices choices >_<

SIII apparently has wireless charging and tracks yours eyes to make sure the screen doesnt turn off while you're looking at it... I love when a technology company feels it has to be the most technologically advanced, it'll push everyone else forward too (except Apple) :D As soon as I get out of college and get a job I'll have so much to choose from.

I absolutely love ICS. If you complete ignore the aesthetic changes which I really enjoy, it has also made my phone so much faster, snappier and useful. It really works so much better now. There have been minimal app crashes, the new features are all improvements and it just make me enjoy my phone so much more.

Also, I think the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S Samsung phones look really nice.

SIII apparently has wireless charging

Induction charging is cool, but ultimately is a very expensive way of saving a couple of seconds.

I should know - I bought the induction stand for the HP Touchpad. It's nifty, but a complete waste of money.

hmmm just seen the Samsung Galaxy SIII and it does look nice...for me it'll be between a HTC One X or this come July when I move to Canada and pick up a new contract. I do actually prefer the look of HTC phones and the Sense overlay but Samsung has a better feature set as such.

Are the Samsung phones able to play iOS games? I'm not down on my Smartphone shit [since I have a Blackberry]

As soon as I have enough money I'm paying off this contract and taking either an iPhone or one of the Samsung models* on Pay as you go.

*Since nearly all my previous phones were Samsungs and haven't let me down.

As soon as I have enough money I'm paying off this contract and taking either an iPhone or one of the Samsung models* on Pay as you go.

If you don't have a decent data limit you may as well get a 3310 and an iPod Touch.

but all the big releases are available on Android.

But often much later. And a good chunk never make it.

If you don't have a decent data limit you may as well get a 3310 and an iPod Touch.

I can't remember my limit without looking at something, but I think it's about 500mb (if that sounds about right?) and it takes the piss loading up a forum topic here, not including the manually having to press "all images" on each page. It can't play YouTube for shit.

My girlfriend is on pay as you go with her Blackberry and it's much faster.

Is the HTC One X nerfed in Canada like it is in the US? And will the SIII suffer the same fate?

Not as far as I know I think that's just specific to one network in the US...I'm not really totally sure what the issue is though...

Or sooner/cheaper. ;)

True. A good amount are ad-supported and free. The Ads aren't all that intrusive anyway. plus AdBlock

I can't remember my limit without looking at something, but I think it's about 500mb (if that sounds about right?)

Ah, a 500MB limit is reasonable for casual use. I just assumed that "pay-as-you-go" meant that you paid for each MB you use, and was hugely expensive. It seems it's changes since I last looked.

Ah, a 500MB limit is reasonable for casual use. I just assumed that "pay-as-you-go" meant that you paid for each MB you use, and was hugely expensive. It seems it's changes since I last looked.

I don't know how it works either, but what I do know is that I'm paying more per month for a shittier service.

Maybe it's a network thing, since I'm on Vodafone and she's on Orange (which I once was for PAYG)

With the network 3 in Ireland, if I top up by €20, I get unlimited data (15GB) for the next 30 days and unlimited texts (3,000) to any network as well as free calls (3,000 minutes) on weekends to any network. It's amazing.

3 in the UK has a monthly rolling contract (so you can stop when you want) where you get 300 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data (∞GB) for £15 a month. Could be worth a try if you don't want a contract.

Sounds most intriguing, definitely worth a look in. I've been on pay as you go for over a decade, one year on contract and I'm pissed off already.

Just have to see which place has the better price for the handset in question now.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Sounds most intriguing, definitely worth a look in. I've been on pay as you go for over a decade, one year on contract and I'm pissed off already.

Just have to see which place has the better price for the handset in question now.

GiffGaff run on the o2 network, they're a PAYG service which offers monthly 'goodybags' £10 gets you 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data. No contract. Plus if you get a sim through referal from someone on it, you both get £5 credit.