NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

Well as a galaxy nexus owner I was thinking of the One X mainly for the space bump. But I'm not in love with HTC's implementation of recent apps and also I'm not loving the bland UI of sense. Sorry to say but stock ICS looks a lot more vibrant and inviting.

Final straw for me is the non removable battery. Sometimes things happen, something crashes and locks up your phone. The only way to fix it is a battery pull. I don't want to be stuck in a position where I need my phone and it's taking a time out. (No pressing and holding the power button hardly ever works.)

OMFG! The One X looks amazing! <3 My contract ends in August, so I may very well get one. Waiting is definitely a good idea, thanks folks! :)

What do you have at the moment platty? Are you new to android or already used to it? I don't know much about either, but I'd say go for what's more established/been used, the more people it's been exposed to the better idea you'll have about it?

Also whilst I'm here, just going to egocentrically bring it all back round to me again, see if anyone might know any solutions to my following problem I posted before?

Also I now have another issue, I'd bought an SD card from play.com just before Xmas, yesterday connected it to my PC and my phone to the PC, copied the entirety of the old to the new, just tried swapping them over and my Desire HD says the SD card is damaged? Tried it again in my PC, it sees it fine.

The answer is format the card in your Desire HD. Then connect via mass storage to transfer stuff without problems. To format in your desire you need to unmount it in the storage menu.

I can't give............ I can give exact instructions since they gave me a wildfire S for work.

Menu -> Settings -> SD and phone storage -> Unmount SD card -> Erase SD card.

Ok cool, I'll try that. For some reason I convinced myself that I already did, but thinking about it now I'm pretty sure I didn't! Will let you know how it goes.

What do you have at the moment platty? Are you new to android or already used to it? I don't know much about either, but I'd say go for what's more established/been used, the more people it's been exposed to the better idea you'll have about it?

I currently have the HTC Desire which was on an 18 month contract so I'm pretty used to Android and HTC.

Probably going to go with the One X to be honest but willing to switch over to Samsung if the SIII is announced anytime soon.

So... Android 5.0 Jelly Bean and ASUS...

Is this going to be like 3.0 and purely for tablets or are they really going to be releasing the next major upgrade so soon when there are so few devices running 4.0. I wasn't even aware that ASUS made phones.

If it is for mobiles, has whatever deal Google have with Samsung expired or are they contracted one device at a time. And what about Google's purchasing of Motorola - why aren't they the front runner for the device now given it was all approved?

I've been out of contract on my Desire since last November and just have a cheap sim right now whilst I wait for something to truly grab my attention. I liked the look of the Nexus (and liked the thought of vanilla ICS) but was worried it was a bit big.

Now we have the HTC One series which look impressive but I'm not entirely sold on either. The X's spec looks great but 4.7" screen is way too much. The S is better size wise yet still a bit big but I do think the phone also looks better physically in terms of design. The V looks like they pulled it out of 2008 and single core 1Ghz processor also sounds a bit limp.

The supposed leaked specs of S3 sounds good but again, massive screen. Plus, it will be the most expensive of the bunch.

Google promised other manufacturers that Motorola won't be given an unfair advantage in terms of Android.

I have the Desire HD and any phone with a smaller screen seems tiny.

So long market. Had no idea that today would be the last day I'd use the web version of android market.

There is an amazing sale on in Android Market - sorry, Google Play.

Dead Space £0.58;

World of Goo £0.49.

Books from £0.20

Streaming movies from £0.99.

Some real real gems in there too.

So... Android 5.0 Jelly Bean and ASUS...

Is this going to be like 3.0 and purely for tablets or are they really going to be releasing the next major upgrade so soon when there are so few devices running 4.0. I wasn't even aware that ASUS made phones.

If it is for mobiles, has whatever deal Google have with Samsung expired or are they contracted one device at a time. And what about Google's purchasing of Motorola - why aren't they the front runner for the device now given it was all approved?

I think Asus have prepped a phone, but its definitely a market they're going to get into.

Jelly Bean is definately going to lay the foundations for a single Google OS; it is said to allow dual boot and instant switching between the two (at least on Chromebooks). I would expect Key Lime Pie (apparently) to entirely replace Chrome OS.

I wouldn't read too much into the Motorola acquisition - it is purely IP. They'll still Blur their devices, and make some interesting but not great phones. The only major development I expect to see from Moto is a flagship Google TV box.

It seems that my contract can't decide when it wants to end, so upgrading is getting further and further away. Firstly, it was due for renewal 9th February, then it changed to 15th May and now 29th June. As it keeps changing, i'm looking at upping my current phone (Wildfire S) to something with a bit more power. Oh, and memory.

What sort of Android would any of you recommend as an upgrade to a Wildfire S. As i mentioned, it needs a bit more power and a bit more memory.

Since your not upgrading until june, I would have a look at the HTC One S, it will probably have come down in price by then, be loaded with ICS and they say if the specs of that phone were released before xmas they it would have been classed as a top spec phone.

It seems that my contract can't decide when it wants to end, so upgrading is getting further and further away. Firstly, it was due for renewal 9th February, then it changed to 15th May and now 29th June.

You're not with 3, are you. I know a couple of people on 3 who have moving upgrade dates.

It seems that my contract can't decide when it wants to end, so upgrading is getting further and further away. Firstly, it was due for renewal 9th February, then it changed to 15th May and now 29th June. As it keeps changing, i'm looking at upping my current phone (Wildfire S) to something with a bit more power. Oh, and memory.

What sort of Android would any of you recommend as an upgrade to a Wildfire S. As i mentioned, it needs a bit more power and a bit more memory.

Galaxy S2 or S3.

Very surprised to see an android appreciation thread on a forum dedicated to computer games.

I'm surprise as resurrected ancient Egyptian evil would care about pointing out such things. Aren't you busy trying to kill us all with locusts or something?

You're not with 3, are you. I know a couple of people on 3 who have moving upgrade dates.

Vodafone (i know, a shame). They cancelled the 60 day renewal back in Feb, and just seem to keep extending my contract (which i took out in May 2 years ago).

I'm surprise as resurrected ancient Egyptian evil would care about pointing out such things. Aren't you busy trying to kill us all with locusts or something?

I bet they are related to Imohtep.

So after debating for ages whether to get an iPhone or S2. I got an S2.

By god it's wonderful, after having a Blackberry - I love it in white. It's also going to be upgraded to ICS when that comes out.

Definitely a must, I'm like a kid at Christmas with it!

My nexus s just won't acknowledge that it's plugged into anything. It doesn't charge either through USB or power supply, and I can't access the USB storage on it through my computer, or use the USB tethering.

Did you root it?

If not you could try updating the system software if it's not the latest, though it's probably out of battery now. Or it might still be in warranty.