N-Europe

3DS Console Discussion

Dante

This sounds....appalling, actually. Is/has there been any sort of official line from Nintendo? I don't even know that many people with a system otherwise I'd get their opinion and maybe have a look myself too. I can't say I ever noticed 'wobble' with my original DS, except in its later days literally just a few weeks before the hinge break(retrospective noticing, too), so for this new console to be on the market with this actually occuring, it puts me off somewhat, especially if it's affecting actual gameplay features like some of you mention.

@Rummy, you seem to just be ignoring everyone who's saying they've had no problems with the 3DS and looking for that reason not to buy it.

Every product out there on the market is gonna get faulty models.

And in terms of some electronics, the 360 RROD'd for years and years and yet people continued to buy them with this/knowing this fault... the iPhone 4 used to switch itself off/end calls or something when you lifted it up...

There shouldn't be, but it's not unexpected that an initial batch of a product is going to have a few problems... if you buy a 3DS now I'm sure it will probably have had a few design alterations already.

@Rummy, you seem to just be ignoring everyone who's saying they've had no problems with the 3DS and looking for that reason not to buy it.

Every product out there on the market is gonna get faulty models.

And in terms of some electronics, the 360 RROD'd for years and years and yet people continued to buy them with this/knowing this fault... the iPhone 4 used to switch itself off/end calls or something when you lifted it up...

There shouldn't be, but it's not unexpected that an initial batch of a product is going to have a few problems... if you buy a 3DS now I'm sure it will probably have had a few design alterations already.

Funny, I was going to point out that as much as people are saying there AREN'T issues, there's equally as many saying there are and so I was taking no sides, then I thought people might realise that without me saying and so unneccessary, clearly not the case.

360 and RROD? Did they occur this commonly within what...6 months? Is it such an obvious/common thing? This isn't a hardware issue from the sounds of things, this is bad and ill thought out physical design/construction[/i]. A plastic casing is not the same as a cpu/gpu/wiiu/whateveru chip. I expect better.

This is a relatively new product on the market, I shouldn't have to pay attention to people 'saying they've had no problems' over people saying they have, it's a new product to market, there should be no problems within at least 12 months. The fact it can be having/developing these issues so early on, makes me worry about the life of the console I am planning to invest in and whether there's going to be OTHER issues within the first 2-3 years of my ownership if not even sooner.

So I'm terribly sorry, but I'm not going to apologise or feel like some sort of dick for expecting a decent quality product out of something that is going to cost me in excess of £100-150 base. Not even to mention something built on the Nintendo name. I really WANT to buy a 3DS, but stuff like this puts me off. It also makes me feel more like they'll bring out a re-design, most likely touted with second circle pad whilst subtley implementing simultaneous fixes to these existing problems.

Tell me I'm ignoring people who, shock horror, have a decent product but DON'T ignore the people who, actually shockingly, bought something 6 months ago and already have noticed major issues/design flaws in the product. Do you honestly think that's acceptable? Add on top that it apparently affects the intended experience of the system, do you really think that's acceptable?

I'd also like to add, this isn't even just me taking idle chatter or rumour, this is from people we know whose opinions I actually trust and value, and the reason why I'm asking here on N-E. Just because you have a fine system and point it out doesn't mean I'm putting your word as any less, just that that is the way the product should be.

Edited by Rummy

I don't think you're acting like a dick at all, are there actually that many people unhappy with their 3DS though, I thought it was just a couple of cases.

I don't quite see your point about this being a brand new product to market so there shouldn't be any issues... surely a new product might come with a couple of issues and then over the months everything will be ironed out. I certainly can't see any issues suddenly appearing 2-3 years down the line... and even if they did... a lot of things these days aren't even built to last that long anyway! Plus most people will likely buy the re-design before that anyway.

Of course I can see where you're coming from, but if your machine is that faulty... they'll fix it/give you a replacement.

My issue is I want to buy a 3DS, not enter a 3DS lottery where I might end up with a product that quickly develops a fault, then needing me to take the time to chase up repairs replacements etc and all the hassle of that, not having the 3DS, possibly ending up without successful resolution(as Agent Gibbs seems to have experienced). So far it doesn't seem to really be just a small minority issue, and I would have thought Nintendo would have learnt with the previous hinge issues on DSes(I know present on phats and lites), something I was relatively fortunate with(my phat got a lot of wear out of it and my lite shows no signs that I can see). I was fortunate, but how would I feel if I wasn't?

An item like this on the market should be fault free for 12 months, and it worries me that it's showing signs of weakness in a number of units already. I wasn't so much going as a product brand new to market, but if I'm buying a product brand new, it should meet certain standards legally unless I'm mistaken. That's to be satisfactory, as described, fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time; I don't think 6 months is that. In fact, I personally think even 12 months is too short, but I think the law only covers that far.

I don't think you're acting like a dick at all, are there actually that many people unhappy with their 3DS though, I thought it was just a couple of cases.

I wouldn't say unhappy but I think the majority of 3DS owners on here ( should we do a count? :D ) have had some hardware issues with the 3DS. Some of us even had to send them back.

I have owned 2 3DS machines and both had faulty hinges ( my DSi didn't ). My current model has a dead pixel and for some reason resets the walking counter randomly.

Just to say, I have had no problems with my 3DS at all. If I shake it hard, the hinge doesn't even move at all.

I didn't buy it until July, so yes, it may be a different batch. But I wouldn't say that the hinge is a design fault. With any product, there is a risk you may have problems/have a faulty unit, and I don't think the 3DS is any more likely to be faulty than any other product. I'd say you may be just as likely to get a bad hinge 2 years down the line. Do that many people really have bad hinges or is it exaggerated as we're on the internet, and people on the internet complain a lot?

I have to agree with Retro Link that the way you are replying mainly to the few people with problems gives off the impression that you're looking to be told not to buy it.

As people have said - buy it, enjoy it, and if you have a problem, they'll sort it out.

Don't get me wrong the 3DS is a great console, that's why I'm so disappointed in Nintendo right now because I want to play it lol

I'm not sure how widespread the issues are really, on here i wouldn't say loads of us have had repair work done or have faults, its a minority really

the only other gamesite i visit where i'd hear about faults is gamefaqs (mainly for guides etc) but i know the boards are full of trolls, the 3DS one is littered with anti nintendo people claiming to own faulty 3DS. if you polled there they'd have a 99% failure rate.

Nintendo have obviously addressed some issues. I personally think it wasn't poor design just poor manufacturing, they were cutting corners in factories to meet the required quota nintendo wanted for launch. I'd say they have addressed these issues.

Generally however Sony/MS/Nintendo and every games developer have lower quality control than years gone by! Hardware has faults, software is buggy they do it to meet demand and make more profit, then fix the changes with patches and hardware revisions either publicly (slim versions) or stealthy (microsoft constantly changing drives etc)

I've still got a NES and SNES that work perfectly, yet my PS2 burnt out its laser, my PS3 is temperamental,and my 3DS is faulty. My Xbox could be added to this list since it blew last month but it was a launch model so it did reasonably well....:hmm:

Still I'd highly recommend you buy a 3DS, maybe buy it online then if it comes and its not perfect send it back for a replacement if your worried, or open instore and inspect it you're within your rights to do so

Just to say, I have had no problems with my 3DS at all. If I shake it hard, the hinge doesn't even move at all.

I didn't buy it until July, so yes, it may be a different batch. But I wouldn't say that the hinge is a design fault. With any product, there is a risk you may have problems/have a faulty unit, and I don't think the 3DS is any more likely to be faulty than any other product. I'd say you may be just as likely to get a bad hinge 2 years down the line. Do that many people really have bad hinges or is it exaggerated as we're on the internet, and people on the internet complain a lot?

I have to agree with Retro Link that the way you are replying mainly to the few people with problems gives off the impression that you're looking to be told not to buy it.

As people have said - buy it, enjoy it, and if you have a problem, they'll sort it out.

Again, yes I'm focusing on those people, because those saying they don't have a problem are not telling me anything I would not expect from a product. I am taking it into account, but what should I be replying to, exactly? And with what? As I've also already stated, I'm avoiding turning to the mass of the internet and turning to people here because I value these forums a lot more than majority content of the internet. Lastly, yes they may sort it out, but I don't think that's reasonable I should even have to be worried about that, go through the process of doing it, and as I've also already said, maybe end up in a similar situation to Agent Gibbs.

I don't have numbers, I can't say definitively whether it's less or more likely to be faulty than any other product. However I don't believe I'm aware of something like this happening so soon with any other console, so it definitely does concern me. It's positive to hear you bought yours in July and it doesn't have faults, because it does suggest they may have fixed things, so thank you for that. I'm hoping to look at my friend's this weekend and ask the few other people I know with one on their own impressions, but this is more about quality of product than reasons for/against the actual DS itself.

I don't really see what else you're going to learn though... some people have had some faults, but then others haven't... I bought mine on launch day and it's been absolutely fine.

I think the best thing to do now is what @mr\-paul said... buy it online and if it's faulty, you have 28days to return it. Or buy it in store and ask to check it before you buy it. I think these faulty machines (screen wobbly) are faulty from the get go?... not something that will suddenly start some 3 months later, so in that respect you'd be fine.

With the launch of the 2nd analogue attachment, the redesign is probably quite some way off now.

Personally I think the only decision you need to make is whether you think there are going to be enough games for you on the console now and over the next couple of months.

Edited by Retro_Link

Still I'd highly recommend you buy a 3DS, maybe buy it online then if it comes and its not perfect send it back for a replacement if your worried, or open instore and inspect it you're within your rights to do so

I think the best thing to do now is what @mr\-paul said... buy it online and if it's faulty, you have 28days to return it. Or buy it in store and ask to check it before you buy it. I think these faulty machines (screen wobbly) are faulty from the get go?... not something that will suddenly start some 3 months later, so in that respect you'd be fine.

Ahem

(unless he said it on a page before and i coincidently said the same thing)

:hug:

I think the best thing to do now is what @Agent Gibbs said... buy it online and if it's faulty, you have 28days to return it. Or buy it in store and ask to check it before you buy it. I think these faulty machines (screen wobbly) are faulty from the get go?... not something that will suddenly start some 3 months later, so in that respect you'd be fine.

;)

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm fairly certain I'm still going to get a 3DS, but I'm going to wait until new year at least now. I'm still interested in the faulty nature, but I'm also going to make a separate thread for that.

What I've just gotten to thinking, has there ever been anything hinted at an actual 3DS zelda at any point that isn't MM? In fact, has there even been anything about MM?

I think the best thing to do now is what @Agent Gibbs said... buy it online and if it's faulty, you have 28days to return it. Or buy it in store and ask to check it before you buy it. I think these faulty machines (screen wobbly) are faulty from the get go?... not something that will suddenly start some 3 months later, so in that respect you'd be fine.

;)

tumblr_lp6erxHDMK1r0drbwo1_400.gif

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm fairly certain I'm still going to get a 3DS, but I'm going to wait until new year at least now. I'm still interested in the faulty nature, but I'm also going to make a separate thread for that.

What I've just gotten to thinking, has there ever been anything hinted at an actual 3DS zelda at any point that isn't MM? In fact, has there even been anything about MM?

Unfortunately nothing new Zelda related, who knows maybe after SS, if they announced it now it may take away from SS

Yeah nothing confirmed about either yet... but the fact that Grezzo (the developers of Ocarina of Time 3D) recently hired a ton of staff suggests that Nintendo may well have plans for them (MM)?

What I've just gotten to thinking, has there ever been anything hinted at an actual 3DS zelda at any point that isn't MM?

I'd say so, yes, as vague as it is: http://mynintendonews.com/2011/09/12/nintendo-3ds-the-3d-will-mean-something-in-the-next-zelda-game-for-nintendo-3ds/

GDC is the place they unveil new handheld Zeldas (and that's before E3), so here's hoping. :)

Yeah nothing confirmed about either yet... but the fact that Grezzo (the developers of Ocarina of Time 3D) recently hired a ton of staff suggests that Nintendo may well have plans for them (MM)?

Hmm. Are they a new company? 2nd party? Any IPs of their own or fresh formed for the OoT port?

I'd say so, yes, as vague as it is: http://mynintendonews.com/2011/09/12/nintendo-3ds-the-3d-will-mean-something-in-the-next-zelda-game-for-nintendo-3ds/

GDC is the place they unveil new handheld Zeldas (and that's before E3), so here's hoping. :)

Intweresting! The reason I asked in fact, was because I thought of all the games that'll be out there, Zelda is likely to really try and use the 3D if it can.

Hmm. Are they a new company? 2nd party? Any IPs of their own or fresh formed for the OoT port?
Grezzo is a Japanese video game developer. It was founded in December 2006. Koichi Ishii, known for his work on the Mana series of games by Square Enix, signed on as CEO and president of the company in April 2007. Grezzo developed Line Attack Heroes for the Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D for the Nintendo 3DS and The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition for DSiWare.
So they've only worked on Nintendo platforms so far, and two of those have been Zelda games, so Nintendo must have a close relationship with them.

They're currently advertising for Programmers, Designers, Planners, Sound Creators, Network/System, Global Business.

Quite interesting...

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/121/1210833p1.html

Nintendo 3DS Sales Total 6.68 Million

Perceptions were challenged today in Nintendo's half-year financial results, which show the 3DS has gotten off to a better start than the DS.

Nintendo's half-year financial results reveal that the 3DS has sold 6.68 million - that's slightly more than the original DS managed to shift in the same period of time.

Its worldwide sales are higher than expected, and though Nintendo announced substantial losses today, the deficit fell short of the 100billion yen operating loss predicted by Japanese newspaper Nikkei Business Daily yesterday.

There are caveats, of course - the original DS had a staggered global launch, with five months between the Japanese, American and European launches, giving it less time to perform. Its sales totalled 6.65 million for the first seven months of its life.

The price cut appears to have sped up 3DS sales enormously, bringing the worldwide total up to this healthy number. With only one major release since Ocarina of time 3D, though, the Christmas line-up is going to be crucial for the console.

Demo's and DLC ahoy

Several new functions will be added to the Nintendo eShop.

For one thing, after a software title is launched, content can be added to it via the Nintendo eShop. This is a feature a number of software creators have been looking forward to. With the Nintendo 3DS system update this time, we can create that desired circumstance, so we should see an increase in the number of applicable software titles that will be launched from now on.

Another addition is the ability for the software publishers to provide the owners of Nintendo 3DS systems with demo versions of their software, for which they can put a limit on the number of trials. As you may know by now, the player reviews available at the Nintendo eShop have high credibility since only those who have played the subject software for one hour or more are eligible to cast a vote. More than one million reviews have been contributed to date worldwide. By combining this existing review mechanism with the demo versions, we would like to continue our endeavors to expand the number of opportunities for consumers to be able to notice the potential and appeal of new software titles.

In terms of its usability, we know that there still are several issues with the Nintendo eShop. We have made several improvements for this time. For example, software downloads can be done when Nintendo 3DS is in sleep mode, which will lessen the need for the users to patiently wait by while downloading several software titles at once or while downloading software with a large memory capacity.

Although this next feature is not going to be available with the next system update, we are now preparing for the Nintendo eShop to be available on the Web so that you can access it via PCs or smartphones too. As of now, the information available on our Nintendo eShop, including the reviews that I mentioned just now, is only available at the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS and it does not have a great affinity with the social media which are currently being used as a means to spread information. In other words, even if a software title receives an incredible review, majority of people will not know about it unless they access the Nintendo eShop with their Nintendo 3DS system.

We would like to solve this issue by making the Nintendo eShop accessible via PCs and smartphones as well. At the beginning, you will not be able to directly purchase software from your PC or smartphone. Instead, you will need to take a photo of a QR code at the Nintendo eShop by using the camera of your Nintendo 3DS. The Nintendo 3DS will then open that specific page of the Nintendo eShop. That function is already included in the upcoming system update for the Nintendo 3DS. In the future, we will make it so that you will be able to purchase software by using your PC or smartphone,