NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I'm probably wrong but I'm sure none of them do right now haha

Heroes of Ruin, which is out June 15th, is the only confirmed game to feature voice chat.

*head desk*

Not that it's a huge deal but it would be nice. Even Monster Hunter? :/

*head desk*

Not that it's a huge deal but it would be nice. Even Monster Hunter? :/

Apparently not. But even so, that's supposedly not even going to see the light of day on western shores.

Having only had my 3DS for a day I'm still exploring it but there are a few issues for me. Starting off on a positive note, it is 100% a gamers console of high pedigree.

I might be in the wrong for pointing out these shortcomings as I see them, so you will have to tell me.

The situation is that it's quite a nice day out, and would be nice to sit out in the garden. Rather than taking the too large laptop or the too small android phone, it would have been nice to take my 3DS out with me and keep an eye on the GP on iPlayer or listen to some jazz on and internet radio app with a blast on MK7 on the side... not happening though is it.

The web browser is abdominal, absolutely the worst browsing experience I have had in a long, long time.

I've noticed that the Applications section on the N Shop is as dry as a recently divorced 50 year old woman's wine glass. Where are the apps?

I don't think it bodes well (well, personally for me as a user.) If things like iPlayer, YouTube and other standard fare apps found on other platforms were going to appear as a matter of need, then Nintendo would have been far more pro-active in getting them on the system.

I also don't think it holds well for some peoples' hopes or visions for the future functionality of the WiiU either; I know that my opinion in this area has certainly changed since feeling out the 3DS.

I was quite taken aback by the jump in complexity the OS took from the DS - taking into account the 40-50+ Brain Training crowd. I know for anyone under the age of 40 or so these days would say it's a slick and user friendly experience (which it is), but it would obviously boggle most of the older generation.

And with the observation of the OS it makes me feel even more frustrated that the apps aren't there to make use of it. What's the point? It leave me asking, who needs the new folder feature unless its a precursor for a massive update or change of attitude towards populating the N Shop with many more apps.

I know Nintendo always says they're a games company first, but for me it just feels there needs to be more compromise to strike a decent balance.

What'd ya think - am I in the wrong for having such expectations? I'd be interested to hear although I might not agree with you lol :p

EDIT: tl;dr (feckin' hell, didn't know it would turn out this lengthy. Sorry about that.)

Edited by madeinbeats

Lots and lots of small niggles.

Dude, how do the games play?? Surely that the important thing?

I also think that you totally misunderstand Nintendo's experience cultivation philosophy. They are a complete walled garden, even more so than Apple. They control what you use the platform for and how.

Also your example situation is so specific that it hardly qualifies as a complaint. Compare your situation to that of the average Japanese person in Tokyo that has a 4G (or equivalent) phone that streams TV. Why would the 3DS need to be doing that when you can use the device in your pocket?

The 3DS isn't out to do the things that other platforms do. Nintendo didn't go out and make the Vita.

@khilafah if you want to get PES 2012 for 3DS, then GAME have it in stock for £19.99 (New & Preowned). if you had PES 2011 for the 3DS then this is pretty much the same game. Except the Menu has been improved, I think there are a few more modes, and of course now there's online play. PES 2011 was a solid football title, I had had it and enjoyed it (60hrs). I've had this for a few weeks now and I can say that its still a solid football game with online, I'd recommend it.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/pro-evolution-soccer-2012-155442?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=29510&attributeName1=Price%20Range_EN_GB&attributeValue1=7

Dude, how do the games play?? Surely that the important thing?

I also think that you totally misunderstand Nintendo's experience cultivation philosophy. They are a complete walled garden, even more so than Apple. They control what you use the platform for and how.

Also your example situation is so specific that it hardly qualifies as a complaint. Compare your situation to that of the average Japanese person in Tokyo that has a 4G (or equivalent) phone that streams TV. Why would the 3DS need to be doing that when you can use the device in your pocket?

The 3DS isn't out to do the things that other platforms do. Nintendo didn't go out and make the Vita.

Well, I pretty much addressed everything you mentioned in the OP inc what I think of the gaming side. I'm not so sure that I'm unique as a consumer in my expectations of a device these days. What's it to Nintendo if I want the iPlayer or internet radio functionality while it's sat in the cradle ala iPod in a dock? That, would be cool!

I think along with the free wifi spots now it makes even more sense to have these 'basic' functions. Skype someone from a cafe? If there won't be an app to Skype (or equivalent) the Wii U from a free wifi spot on your DS, then it will be bang your head against the wall time. IMO.

You need to answer some of my questions though about the extra, seemingly, unneeded complexity of the OS and folders; the derf web browser; and the the sparse, all be it, allocated, Application area in the N Shop. To me, it's a frustrating half-arsed attempt at trying to look like a modern diverse digital device, with all the image but none of the substance.

The web browser is abdominal, absolutely the worst browsing experience I have had in a long, long time.

It's not a great web browser, but point to me a console with a good web browser (have no idea about the Vita's, think I heard it wasn't very good)? I use it to quickly look up stuff but not much else. It's not the worst browser though.

I've noticed that the Applications section on the N Shop is as dry as a recently divorced 50 year old woman's wine glass. Where are the apps?

Yep, fair point. No idea why we don't have the Netflix app. At least it's not like the Android market :P

I was quite taken aback by the jump in complexity the OS took from the DS - taking into account the 40-50+ Brain Training crowd. I know for anyone under the age of 40 or so these days would say it's a slick and user friendly experience (which it is), but it would obviously boggle most of the older generation.

It was a natural evolution of the DSi OS. I'm honestly struggling to think of how it's complex.

And with the observation of the OS it makes me feel even more frustrated that the apps aren't there to make use of it. What's the point? It leave me asking, who needs the new folder feature unless its a precursor for a massive update or change of attitude towards populating the N Shop with many more apps.

There's plenty of games on the eShop to warrant the folders, I certainly needed them.

I know Nintendo always says they're a games company first, but for me it just feels there needs to be more compromise to strike a decent balance.

At the end of the day it is a games console ::shrug:.

Cheers Ike.

@madeinbeats: My answers for your questions were generally implied in what I wrote. I'll be completely honest, I couldn't be bothered to do a point by point break down.

The PS3 web browser is pretty good now after their recent update although it still lacks support for higher quality Youtube videos :(

The one thing I hate about the 3DS is that the messaging system is a separate app and the web browser is a built-in function when really it should be the other way around! I want to be able to use the full power of the 3DS to browse the web and I want to be able to message friends without having to quit whatever game I'm playing.

@Ike It's not a great web browser, but point to me a console with a good web browser (have no idea about the Vita's, think I heard it wasn't very good)? I use it to quickly look up stuff but not much else. It's not the worst browser though.

It plays YouTube HTML5 videos!

Yep, fair point. No idea why we don't have the Netflix app. At least it's not like the Android market :P

There's nothing wrong with the Android Market, it's awesome.

It was a natural evolution of the DSi OS. I'm honestly struggling to think of how it's complex.

Never used the DSi OS, my comparison was to the DS. You probably would struggle to understand it's complexity, as eluded to in your quote of myself.

There's plenty of games on the eShop to warrant the folders, I certainly needed them.

As I'm being accused of being a special case here, then I should do the same. Probably less than 5% of 3DS owners have more VC or DS Ware games than slots on Home Screen to warrant folders.

At the end of the day it is a games console

Yeah, again, I pre-empted all the typical responses I thought the questions would stir up in the OP, and then again in my 2nd post.

Why borrow an app-centric appearance -- and remember, this is a universal standard set-up for digital devices now -- and deliver less than a bog standard app-centric experience? If you ask me, the Vita's OS/GUI is more suitable for a purists' games console even though it gives more in the basic apps department.

The PS3 web browser is pretty good now after their recent update although it still lacks support for higher quality Youtube videos :(

The one thing I hate about the 3DS is that the messaging system is a separate app and the web browser is a built-in function when really it should be the other way around! I want to be able to use the full power of the 3DS to browse the web and I want to be able to message friends without having to quit whatever game I'm playing.

YEAH!! (I'll give you that tenner later)

Edited by madeinbeats
Automerged Doublepost

I see where you coming from maidenbeats. In this day and age applications & social-networking are the basics when it comes to handheld devices, you can tell that the 3DS doesnt provide this well enough. The 3DS is different, in a good way (imo).

I say let your phone, tablet & laptop do those other generic things and just look at the 3DS in a different perspective. There are already some awesome games available to purchase both through retail & the eShop, and there are many more awesome games yet to come. The 3DS provides experiences that you may not find on other hand-held devices through its games.

There's nothing wrong with the Android Market, it's awesome.

Yeah, but I was referring to the fact it's has a load of fake apps which is worse than having no apps I guess.

Never used the DSi OS, my comparison was to the DS. You probably would struggle to understand it's complexity, as eluded to in your quote of myself.

There wasn't a big jump in complexity between the DS -> DSi either. How exactly is it complex? You tap an icon and off you go. I'll admit I struggled with the Vita OS when I had an extremely quick go of a demo unit.

As I'm being accused of being a special case here, then I should do the same. Probably less than 5% of 3DS owners have more VC or DS Ware games than slots on Home Screen to warrant folders.

I'd imagine most the ambassadors welcomed it. No, not everyone will need them but I find it odd to you question about something that is available to those who do need it now, because there are plenty of people who wanted it, or will need it in the future. There's plenty of time for the number of apps to grow and it's better to the feature ready then to not have it at all.

I guess a lot of it is up to BBC/Google/Netflix/etc as well. It's still an area Nintendo needs to work on.

Edited by Ike

I see where you coming from maidenbeats. In this day and age applications & social-networking are the basics when it comes to handheld devices, you can tell that the 3DS doesnt provide this well enough. The 3DS is different, in a good way (imo).

I say let your phone, tablet & laptop do those other generic things and just look at the 3DS in a different perspective. There are already some awesome games available to purchase both through retail & the eShop, and there are many more awesome games yet to come. The 3DS provides experiences that you may not find on other hand-held devices through its games.

Thanks for reading me post mate :) If the web browser was more accomplished, then that wouldn't effect Ike and Jamba' light use policy in the slightest, however, the way it is now DOES effect mine and f00had's experience. The only people the non-existence of radio/iPlayer/MSN/Twitter apps etc, makes a difference to is the people who they would be of benefit, not to those who, say now, wouldn't use them.

I can think of lots of situations where I could use my 3DS if it had the right 'app attitude', instead of my much larger laptop/tablet especially with the now free Wi-Fi spots.

How many people do you suppose are put into a situation where they feel they have to make a choice between basic app-like functionality and gaming? That's a consumer conundrum and Apple/Android wins. This kind of app support would take nothing away from Nintendo and the 3DS as a gaming machine.

I guess a lot of it is up to BBC/Google/Netflix/etc as well. It's still an area Nintendo needs to work on.

Why didn't you just say that then :yay: :p

Edited by madeinbeats
Automerged Doublepost

Can I just make the point that all of this stuff about the interface that's designed for Apps is bullshit.

The Wii had an App style interface in 2006 and the iPhone wasn't released until the next year. Also just because something has an App style interface doesn't not mean that it has to have apps.

And, being frank and not particularly diplomatic, if you feel totally compelled to be able to check facebook, MSN and be connected constantly, fork out for a decent piece of kit rather than a £100 quid console.

Want decent gaming AND apps, go get yourself a Nexus 2 and play OnLive with a controller. OnLive will post all of your achievements to facebook and you can have a 360 style friends list and community.

The fact that you have a tablet and can't be bothered to go on that to check the net and MSN on that honestly depresses me. If you don't want to use the tech why buy it?

Can I just make the point that all of this stuff about the interface that's designed for Apps is bullshit.

The Wii had an App style interface in 2006 and the iPhone wasn't released until the next year. Also just because something has an App style interface doesn't not mean that it has to have apps.

And, being frank and not particularly diplomatic, if you feel totally compelled to be able to check facebook, MSN and be connected constantly, fork out for a decent piece of kit rather than a £100 quid console.

Want decent gaming AND apps, go get yourself a Nexus 2 and play OnLive with a controller. OnLive will post all of your achievements to facebook and you can have a 360 style friends list and community.

The fact that you have a tablet and can't be bothered to go on that to check the net and MSN on that honestly depresses me. If you don't want to use the tech why buy it?

Too emotionally charged; didn't read ;) You've gone off the deep end mate. I haven't got a tablet, it was fictional... or was it? But there lies the essence of my posts which you haven't grasped yet.

Your advice is to buy, carry and have turned on at the same time, more sh*t... we got it... My vision is more simple: apps.

In principal, I can't help but agree with @madeinbeats on a lot of these points. Yes, the 3DS is a dedicated games machine but, to me, the fact it does so much more is actually what elevates it above previous handhelds I've owned. It's typically the only thing I carry about with me, and in this regard is great to view photos and such.

The only problem is that some of the features are so bad you almost have to view it as though it doesn't have them. Take the web browser. Not the worst I've used (the decent PPI alone makes it nicer to read pages with than the Wii's or DSi's), but any type of video is a no-go. Still, to be fair to Nintendo, I'm sure software licensing is a complex issue.

The worst problem for me is the photo saving. Often I see a picture and think "That's a good pic, I'll save that" and I get "This image cannot be saved", whilst others can. It's a total lottery, and it comes back to what I was saying about how, when things are this unreliable, you can't really say whether the 3DS has these features or not.

"Another 3DS firmware update has hit, but we're not too sure what this one does. I'm thinking it's nothing major, but once we get the details on it I'll be sure to share. Thanks to all that sent this in!"

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=177247

Australian site:

"Changes in system software version 4.1.0-8(7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0)E

System stability improvements and other adjustments

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user's experience."

EDIT: The system update is live, took about a minute to update.

Edited by -Dem0-

Oooh, heated. I couldn't give two fucks about any of that crap that will always be deeply inferior to my phone which never leaves me. HOWEVER, I see how they are good for other people, especially kids who can't afford expensive phones. But I think it's relatively functional what's there, and I can see all those APPS coming, yeah it's moving very slowly but bit by bit we'll get I player, Netflix etc etc patience!!

How Nintendo connect with these platforms is what interests me more, posting pictures in twitter/Facebook; videos ok YouTube etc.

Also, I think Nintendo should get rid of the incredibly crap and ignored GANE NOTES app and replace it with a multitasking, simple instant text and chat room. Keep letterbox for proper letters an more artistic messages.

Also, I think Nintendo should get rid of the incredibly crap and ignored GANE NOTES app and replace it with a multitasking, simple instant text and chat room. Keep letterbox for proper letters an more artistic messages.

This! This x 10000! THIS!

It annoys the hell out of me that you and friends list on the thing, yet no way of communicating with them? What is the point?

Game Notes would be great if

- It was linked to the game you made the note from.

- You could also save the screenshot.

Game Notes would be great if

- It was linked to the game you made the note from.

- You could also save the screenshot.

Completely agree. The system already takes a screenshot of both screens, why not just let us save it?!

Short Fan made F-Zero trailer... He called it 'F-Zero 3DX.

Looks like we've only got 4 more Shaun the Sheep episodes to go. Yesterday's short was fantastic! (was retro indeed). Haven't heard anything on future episodes though. It would be even better if we were able to download them and keep them as they're free, I've already missed around 5 episodes and there's no way to watch em' again.

Heck, I'd even buy them if they were reasonably priced (but not all of them). They should put up the Kid Icarus shorts up as well.

They should put up the Kid Icarus shorts
Crud. Totally forgot about that, only because I haven't seen any of them except 1 or 2. they should be available for purchase, as you said at a reasonable price.