NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

Just going through all of my Letterbox inbox.... Trying so hard to get up to date but there are SO MANY!! :o

Quick question:

Can you play UK DS games with a German 3DS?

Well, I can play US DS games on my PAL 3DS so I'm pretty sure you're safe. :)

Quick question:

UK 3DS games, or just UK DS games?

As it's pal region though, I'd certainly guess strongly at yes for both(it's a definite yes for just regular DS games, as cvl said). US 3DS games apparently not, though.

Unless its a DSI enhanced game it should work on the 3DS, if the game itself was region locked due to DSI enhancement then its unlikely to work

or so i've gathered from reading up on it

UK 3DS games, or just UK DS games?

Actually just DS games. UK 3DS games work, too, then? Nice.

Quick question:

Germany and UK are in the same region (Europe/Australia), so that's a yes (for all consoles, not just DS/3DS)

But regardless, original DS games are region free anyway.

After last year's stellar Christmas for the 3DS, what the hell is coming out this year? I was quite looking forward to some cracking online Animal Crossing but that's not happening. Anything stellar?

Pretty much all of the announced games are 'holiday' releases aren't they? Paper Mario, Epic Mickey, Luigi's Mansion, Castlevania all look top notch to me.

Does anybody think we'll ever get the ability to use the Home menu with DS games? It would be quite handy to have the ability to use the notes app with them.

Does anybody think we'll ever get the ability to use the Home menu with DS games? It would be quite handy to have the ability to use the notes app with them.

Not going to happen. When playing DS games the 3DS seems literally to be a DSi from a hardware point of view, probably downclocked processor and all.

Not going to happen. When playing DS games the 3DS seems literally to be a DSi from a hardware point of view, probably downclocked processor and all.

That was my original thinking on the matter but the home button still works when playing DS games. It just brings up the close software menu instead of the actual home menu. So there has to be some 3DS functionality going on.

I think to have the functionality it might be that the games themselves need to have it worked in so they go into a suspended state and the 3DS can do its business alongside, but the games never *were* designed like that so they can't. I have absolutely nothing to back this up though and wonder how comes they can't do a workaround.

When you press home while in a DS game currently it does suspend the game.

It's currently the same situation with the GBA VC games, though I'm hoping that will be changed when/if they're officially released.

So there has to be some 3DS functionality going on.

The functionality to end the game and go back into "3DS mode". ;) The 3DS' system seems to somehow boot when you leave these games.

Do you think Nintendo would bother, even if it were possible? It's not like they would get an immediate return out of it, just like they wouldn't with tinkering with the Wii U's backwards compatibility for "HD-Wii games". It would just cost them time developing the functionality and is unlikely to boost sales.

AS a rule of thumb: If it would cost money/time to develop and seems unlikely to be a sellable or required feature, Nintendo won't bother. :heh:

When you press home while in a DS game currently it does suspend the game.

It's currently the same situation with the GBA VC games, though I'm hoping that will be changed when/if they're officially released.

That's easy, it just activates the DS' sleep mode function (so when you press the menu button, the game thinks you've closed the lid)

Since GBA games don't have that option built into the SDK (where you can activate sleep mode by closing the lid), the game just keeps running when you press Home - just like how it does on a DS when you try closing the lid.

When GBA games get released officially, they'll no doubt be running in an emulator - complete with all the bells and whistles that you get with other VC games.

Edited by Dcubed

That's easy, it just activates the DS' sleep mode function (so when you press the menu button, the game thinks you've closed the lid)

Even so, that's still suspending it in memory while the 3DS 'exit or continue' menu appears. If you start the DS games in original resolution mode you can see that the 'exit or continue' menu renders at the 3DS resolution and not the DS. That to me suggests that it is the 3DS software controlling the exiting and not a modification to the DS software. This is different to how the Wii handles Gamecube software..

@Burny is right about Nintendo though. Even if it were possible, I can't see them bothering.

Since GBA games don't have that option built into the SDK (where you can activate sleep mode by closing the lid), the game just keeps running when you press Home - just like how it does on a DS when you try closing the lid.

When GBA games get released officially, they'll no doubt be running in an emulator - complete with all the bells and whistles that you get with other VC games.

I hadn't even considered that the GBA games were simply running in the GBA compatibility mode of the DS. I wonder if the lack of a real software emulator will hold back the GBA VC for some time.

This has probably been asked before, but does anyone else experience hand cramps while playing. All it takes is 5 mins of Mario Kart and the pain begins. Any tips on alleviating this?

My hands don't cramp but they are really small... Maybe you need to invest in a 3DS XL :D

or @Dog\-amoto if you have a CPP try playing with it, it's really comfortable. If not then try and buy the steering wheel for the 3DS, or a 3DS hand grip accessory. Like this:

81ui%2BQsOucL._AA1500_.jpg

I've tried a few ways of holding it. It happens with most games, but Mario Kart is especially bad.

Thanks, I'll try getting an add on, rather than shelling out loads on the XL!