Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Joining The Police

Kirkatronics

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could never join the police force. Apart from the armed forces, I can't think of something I would like to do less. Both my parents were police officers as it happens and they seem quite reasonable :heh:

I'm not too sure why I'm against the idea so much, perhaps I just hate authority like that. Plus I think they have too much power, thanks for that Labour. Guess I always imagine myself as one of the protestors who are at ends with the police.

ipaul is Nappa.

The main reason why I don't see myself joining the police is, after being admitted, realizing and comprehending the how rotten the institution is and how its run by its own set of unspoken rules that I must obey if I want to be left alone. The moral idealism I learned through years of an incredibly sheltered life is gone within the first day and you're just another peon unable to change anything.

The police test is a piece of piss, honestly just look at half of them in the force - haven't seen their own toes since capital punishment was still on the go. The fire one is pretty difficult though, I did it a couple of years and it's hard work. You're better of carrying a little bulk for it since it requires a lot of heavy lifting whilst moving. When I did mine it came to late in the induction period a couple of years ago but they've still got my application on file and I've seriously considered going for it again recently.

Kirky keep this thread updated with how it goes please, I'm quite interested.

I'm half sad that if this uni thing doesn't go well that I'd look silly applying for a job in the police force...

"Hi I did games design but I'm rubbish. Can I now run after people for you?"

Also I'll be... 23... too late to join?

Because surely the police force should be something you're completely committed to and not, "this didn't pan out, can I join?".

Meh.

Also: Bard, I think you're great and everything but when you come out with things like, "Your idiocy is so dazzling that its burning me in the face. " You do come across as a 16 year old with a good grasp of English, but very little social and reasoning skills.

Why you so... mad?

Its never too late, aslong as you have the drive and health for it.

I ain't mad, its just that me and Shiekah have...ideological differences. TBH. Also, the social context of a forum does inspire a disconnect that isn't there in real life. Anyway, I'll take that post as a compliment.

As for Danny: Capital punishment won't solve anything, what needs to change is the entire social structure, but to be honest, holding out for this kind of overhaul is fairly idealistic. I probably won't go into it here, since my views are fairly polemic, as always.

You come across tto me as someone who tries to make them selves look smart by over reading into things, and in most cases wrongly.

I could never join the police force. Apart from the armed forces, I can't think of something I would like to do less. Both my parents were police officers as it happens and they seem quite reasonable :heh:

I'm not too sure why I'm against the idea so much, perhaps I just hate authority like that. Plus I think they have too much power, thanks for that Labour. Guess I always imagine myself as one of the protestors who are at ends with the police.

I've nevver had a problem with the police, they have helped me a lot in the past, and i have only one grievence with one of them.

Counter Terrorism law has been abused ruthlessly by police since it was introduced. I think that's what iPaul means.

Do you have an example?

Well yeah... they've used counter-terrorism laws to stop photographers from simply taking pictures.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/alexsingleton/100020764/365-of-britains-most-eminent-photographers-attack-anti-terror-legislation/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/12/euorpean-court-police-misuse-stop-search

Am I right thinking you've not stated being white and a Christian to make sure they don't ignore your white scummy-ass?

Smart.

Don't you have to submit photo ID on this application?

And also, I'd worry if the police were tricked so easily.

Well yeah... they've used counter-terrorism laws to stop photographers from simply taking pictures.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/alexsingleton/100020764/365-of-britains-most-eminent-photographers-attack-anti-terror-legislation/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/12/euorpean-court-police-misuse-stop-search

Am I right thinking you've not stated being white and a Christian to make sure they don't ignore your white scummy-ass?

Smart.

Don't you have to submit photo ID on this application?

And also, I'd worry if the police were tricked so easily.

I meant in general, both are true to me.

Also, i've got to fill in the forms and things in person so that would be very hard.

Seriously?

Counter Terrorism law has been abused ruthlessly by police since it was introduced. I think that's what iPaul means.

Do you have an example?

Introduction to this video, watch it to see what I mean.

There's some other good stuff in there if you can be bothered to watch the whole thing.

Here is another example of what I mean

Although it's not exactly the best evidence to use in an argument, I should also point out that my father believes the police have obtained much more power in the past 15 years, and he would know. He worked in the force for around 15 years himself and still deals with them regularly as he is now a solicitor. Plus I should point out he's usually a Tory voter, he isn't the kind of 'wishy-washy Guardian reading Liberal' type I imagine Moogleviper detests.

You just seemed rather illiberal from a few posts I could remember... was it not you who was strongly in favour of the death penalty :wtf:

I can't remember but probably.

I wouldn't say I'm a liberal. But I think on a lot of issues I agree most with Lib Dem.

But I'm certainly not a Tory.

I can't remember but probably.

I wouldn't say I'm a liberal. But I think on a lot of issues I agree most with Lib Dem.

But I'm certainly not a Tory.

Fair enough, I sort of assumed you were. Sorry bro. :weep:

Watch the video in the link I posted anyway, if you have time. Shows some interesting things about what the Police can do now, mainly thanks to Labour's rule over the past 13 years.

Oh god, that video is biased.

I could make a video with the opposite effects, just using good clips.

EDIT: I see some of what you mean though.

Bias to what exactly? The idea that Labour have taken away too many liberties? Of course they use clips to illustrate this. Throughout the film it makes an important point, that although the erosion of our civil liberties hasn't been so drastic so far, people must check the government and criticise it with all the small steps it makes in that authoritarian direction.

I mean why should we really have I.D cards, or not be allowed to protest outside parliament?

I'll stop with this, it's getting a little off topic.

Edited by ipaul

You come across tto me as someone who tries to make them selves look smart by over reading into things, and in most cases wrongly.

[facetious]Except that I'm right. And if you are willing to argue your points, then please do so, but I would point to the fact that your wanting to join the police force presents as an anachronism in your mental development as a rational human being.

Of course, this is whats known as "affect heuristic" in psychological terms, so perhaps I'm misrepresenting your entire character through your career choice/ who am I to judge? All I was writing down was my own views/ taking the piss. Which is always fun.[/facetious]

No offence intended. I'm sure you're a fine human being.

Its never too late, aslong as you have the drive and health for it.

Actually, no, there is an age limit just like the forces.

I think the army is 30 and the police might be 35. Locally, it does vary, but you'll find its not far off that figure.

re the age thing - i think fresh out of school (16 or 18) is too early to be working out your lifetime career, its good to get out and try things, work from the bottom and learn that life ain't all roses all of the time (in terms of a job anyway). It does make you a different, and better, person.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!