Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2010

Retro_Link

So long as Button doesn't win... sorry but I don't want the record books acknowledging him as a multiple world champion!

Webber or Vettel for me.

If he wins this year he will have won more titles than your beloved Kimi and the same amount as Alonso :(

Eugh. The more i think about it, the more it saddens me Kimi only won 1 World Championship, and even then people say he was 'lucky' with it. It's amazing how such an incredibly gifted and quick driver was basically forgotten because of the 'Lewis-mania' that took place in 07 and 08, and that one poor season he had against Massa.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep it's sickening tbh!

All I can do is hold on to the fact that reliability aside, it's generally considered he would have won 2 or 3 titles... but yeah the thought of someone like Button winning more... *shudders*... everytime Button has underperformed of late, I just keep wishing Kimi would have been in that car!... Stupid McLaren!

I wish Ferrari would have just once focused their efforts on him and they'd have had a multiple world champion. The way he completely outperformed their dog of a car in '09 shows the potential that was there all along if they'd just paid him some attention!

Edited by Retro_Link

To be fair it must be hard to tailor a car to the world's most un-interested driver. I really love Kimi and think he's a fantastic driver, it's just a shame he could never really be bothered to do more than the bare minimum.

Totally agree on Button, it makes me a little ill he has more than 0 wins.

It's really wierd when you think about the record books and then look at the drivers we have on the grid now.

When you look back through history and think of a say... 3 times world champion... they're considered the true greats, but then you have those drivers who are also considered the true greats... like Hakkinen (amongst many others) who only have 2 titles to their name. And some who even just have the 1 WDC!

Tbh, I'm not sure there's all that many drivers on the grid today who I'd like to see achieve that kind of recognition.

The fact Button already has 1!... and could (given the best car again) go on and get another 1 or 2 is a daunting prospect...

All of a sudden it seems to deminish the achievements of past champions... the recent likes of Alonso and Raikkonen included...

In some strange way it all seems too easily done nowadays?

Maybe that's because more and more it seems to be down to the car?

Maybe it's just looking back through rose tinted glasses?

Or maybe we just have to look at it as different era's, and perhaps Jenson's '09 win was the start of a new one?

There's always people winning that in general people don't think should though. For every great remembered champion there's a couple of others who no-one gives a second thought to now. I also don't think the car has become any more or less important in modern times. Sure a great driver can make a difference, but without a top car it's very unlikely someone can take a title.

I definitely think you have a case of the rose tinted glasses on that one!

Yeah a large percentage of it is probably just nostalgia!

I think these last 2 seasons have just been quite different car wise though.

Alonso '06, Raikkonen '07, Hamilton '08... I feel a bit more that they won those titles with their driving (luck/unreliability/reliability being factors as they are every season).

Where as '09 felt more like which ever driver was in that car would have probably won the title, and it's looking likely this year with the Red Bull car.

Tbf, the cars are A LOT easier to drive nowadays. I remember the low(er) downforce era of the 90's where the cars had so much power but a lot less grip and you'd see the backend step out so much more as they struggled to control the cars. You'd see teammates in identical cars about 1 second apart or more. Now you have challenging corners like Eau Rouge that can be taken nearly flat out and the cars have significantly less power so it's more of a case of point the car in the right way. Not taking anything away from the drivers, but nowadays, mistakes permitting, you're seeing the better drivers maybe able to get a few tenths out of the their team mates as opposed to close to a second.

• 2 weeks later...

So a lot more people have spoken out about Ferrari's actions over the last few weeks?

With the court case a couple of weeks away... do you think Ferrari will be made an example of with the punishment?... A loss of points, a ban, or in the extreme... erased from the 2010 championships?

It's fair to say McLaren were made examples of back in 2007... albeit that was arguably a much worse crime.

I really hope nothing happens to them, as far as I'm concerned they did absolutely nothing wrong. I really think they should just scrap the team orders rule, every team does it in one way or another and imo team orders should be part of the sport.

Doesn't matter if it should or shouldn't be in the rules. They broke the rules, and they should be punished.

But then loads of teams should be punished, not just ferrari. Teams orders happen every day in F1, Ferrari just didn't do it subtly enough.

They need to get rid of the rule, it's just stupid.

SPA SPA SPA SPA SPA SPA SPA :D :D :D

Man what a gorgeous race track! Eau Rouge is as gorgeous as ever, one of the few truly great corners left in F1. FP1 was absolutely soaking, hopefully we'll have some mixed weather for the whole weekend to spice things up. Looks like it's Alonso vs Red Bull though.

What with the long break I'd completely forgotten it was an F1 weekend until I heard Jake on Chris Moyles early this morning!

:yay:SPA!!! :yay:

Currently watching FP2... feel sorry for Chandok not racing again, but at least the BBC are smart enough to employ him!

Spa has made for some memorable races over the years I've been watching F1. Hopefully this year does the same.

It was last year where the Force India's (Sutil) were pushing for the win wasn't it? How it would be nice to see that again. They've been going backwards over the last couple of races. Don't know whether they're not getting upgrades to the cars on time or whether they're simply making do with what they have and putting effort into next year's car. But would be nice to see that kind of race again. The whole 'will-he-won't-he-catch-Raikkonen' was rather entertaining.

The whole 'will-he-won't-he-catch-Raikkonen' was rather entertaining.
haha, that race last year was one of the most stressful races I've ever watched.

I was so desperate for Kimi to add to his Spa total, and to get a win that year for Ferrari... but with the F60[2009] it always looked like a long shot at best.

But both him and Fisi drove such an incredible race... especially Kimi because all it needed was for him to run slightly wide at just one corner and that would be it, Fisi would be through in the faster car and go on to win!

For the both of them to keep that level of concentration for 1 1/2 hours was awesome!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!