N-Europe

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Dante

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what would be really fun. If all of us got together and played this new zelda on a huge television.

That way, We could all discuss it while we play. Heck, we would be new age philosophers.

For some reason I'm envisioning this:

Raphael-the-school-of-Athens--2-.jpg

That'd be us in a lounge kind o' room with a big screen in the middle.

You know what would be really fun. If all of us got together and played this new zelda on a huge television.

That way, We could all discuss it while we play. Heck, we would be new age philosophers.

For some reason I'm envisioning this:

Raphael-the-school-of-Athens--2-.jpg

That'd be us in a lounge kind o' room with a big screen in the middle.

Seeing as I love philosophy and am currently writing a large project on the philosophy of Plato and Seneca, this idea pleases me greatly! :D

Should put to rest the minds of those who think development has just begun:

“You may be under the impression that we are still only in the early stages of development – [but] in fact we are well into the making of the game… Our team has been working on making the building blocks regarding the action – the scenarios, dungeon-making and so on. We are well underway. I hope that we can show you something at the E3 show next year and it is something we are hopeful will be surprising.†- Eiji Aonuma

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=107815

Here's some bits from this months ONM.

As we all know, the most current issue of Official Nintendo Magazine has an interview with Eiji Aonuma. Now some more details are pouring out from that issue. While we've heard some of these tidbits before, I'll include them all for the sake of being thorough...

- Link is "already reproducing almost perfectly what you do with the remote and MotionPlus. Our team has already got a solid response from this aspect of the software."

- significant change to the Zelda structure

- hopeful for a showing at E3 2010

- well under development

- MotionPlus was not even around when development on this project started, which had the team working on just how to include it partway through development

- the final graphical style for the game hasn't yet been decided, and while a new style might be chosen, there are hints towards a more realistic approach

- according to Aonuma, some of the internet speculation has been correct

- Aonuma spent time playing Monster Hunter 3 to see what aspects really appeal most to the player

From GoNintendo

I'm always happy when I read about the change in the game structure. I had commented many times with friends how the series was getting stale and that TP should be the last one of its kind. I'm glad Aonuma felt the same way or at least noticed it.

well a monster hunter 3 graphical style would be perfect for a zelda game don't you think?

I would love just an updated majora's mask, oot look. Twilight went a little too dark I suppose but this is being picky.

it could look like barney but if the gameplay is good I'll be suckered in.

I'm always happy when I read about the change in the game structure. I had commented many times with friends how the series was getting stale and that TP should be the last one of its kind. I'm glad Aonuma felt the same way or at least noticed it.

I think even before Twilight Princess came out, Miyamoto and Aonuma both stated in numerous interviews that TP would be the last Zelda as we know it/ in its current form.

I think even before Twilight Princess came out, Miyamoto and Aonuma both stated in numerous interviews that TP would be the last Zelda as we know it/ in its current form.

I do remember them saying that, but I always assumed they were referring to controls such as M+ or even some kind of FPS that took advantage of the pointer.

But since they didn't even know of M+ back then, it means they've been thinking of this structure change for a long time!

Edited by Shino
Brain fart

I don't think the main changes we'll be seeing will be control related TBH, It will most likely control like TP did, only with more accuracy in the motion controls, and pointing.

But sense didn't even know of M+ back then, it means they've been thinking of this structure change for a long time!

While I think you're partially right, you're wrong about them not knowing about Motion Plus. The Gyro-sensor (For those who I've just lost, go look up how M+ and the Wii remote actually work) was planned from the beginning (I think it ways Miyamoto who said this), it was just to expensive to incorporate from the beginning. While they may not have known it would be ready in time for the new Zelda (hence why it would have been ignored during early development), they did know it would be coming eventually.

well a monster hunter 3 graphical style would be perfect for a zelda game don't you think?

I would love just an updated majora's mask, oot look. Twilight went a little too dark I suppose but this is being picky.

it could look like barney but if the gameplay is good I'll be suckered in.

Twilight Princess did have the updated OOT/MM look and I don't think Aonuma spent time playing Monster Hunter 3 for the graphics but for its equipment and quest system.

I actually like the whole "gameplay before story" approach. I couldn't think of anything worse then sitting through a couple of hours of boring, tedious game play just to advance the story a little bit.

Not a fan of RPGs then? ;)

Change can be good and is definitely needed for future Zelda games (in moderation)... but I just hope they don't go crazy and radically change it so that it's unrecognisable as traditional Zelda.

I agree. What makes a traditional Zelda though? The series has had a history of introducing vastly different ideas and mechanics along the way. The incarnations of Zelda I -> Zelda II, OoT -> MM and MM -> Wind Waker have all seen big transitions from the previous game.

The things that have remained the same are story and gameplay aspects (someone here will correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Silent sword-wielding Link saving Zelda from evil villain.

2. Collected items unlocking new areas.

3. Mix of exploration and dungeons containing bosses.

4. Red rupees in treasure chests, dagnamit.

It would feel weird if any one of those was ruled out in the next Zelda game, but who knows, Nintendo don't mind taking risks with the Zelda series, that's for sure.

Edited by Patch

Edge Interview With Miyamoto:

On the subject of jobs, a long time ago you said that the hardest thing about work was getting in on time every morning: what’s a typical day at the office like for you nowadays?

It’s interesting – I can probably roughly divide things into three equal sections. About one third of my working year on average is spent in meetings [laughs]. Meetings of the board of directors, say, or meetings for development. And then I spend probably roughly a third of my time working with people outside of our Kyoto office. We have teams working in Tokyo, for example, and there are also people outside of the company who are still involved in development. Besides that, the final third is spent working more closely on direct game development: I’m talking about internal game and software development. That’s working on things like testing prototypes, and looking at the experiments teams might have been working on: I’m particularly interested in seeing how people might react to these things we’ve been doing, and discussing how we can improve things. And if nothing appears to be working, if there’s nothing we can do to get real progress with a project, I have to step in to write down the development sheets and get involved in the planning myself. But I have to make a point for other things. Because I’m often in the office from nine in the morning until ten or even midnight, I make sure that Tuesday evening is free for swimming. I’m busy, you could say, but not as busy as magazine writers [laughs].

What sort of innovation do you think Nintendo is bringing to gaming now?

Our basic principle is very clear: we’re always trying to be different from everybody else. Many other companies might try to do the same things as someone else who’s already been successful in a certain area: they think in terms of the competition, and they think in terms of how they can be better than their predecessor in any established arena. But Nintendo always tries to be unique instead. We always try to be different all the time. Even when we’re working on those so-called ‘serious’ titles, when we’re hard at work on a Zelda or Super Mario Bros., amongst ourselves in the same development team, the way we discuss the game is to ask: “What’s new? What’s fresh about this title?” That kind of focus on trying to be new, to be unique every time, of trying to create something different every time, will be carried on and on and on, so that even when we are working on several other titles, our spirit of trying to be different is always there in the background somewhere.

Edited by Dante

Next Zelda on Wii playable at E3

According to The Official Nintendo Magazine UK by way of MCV, the next instalment of The Legend of Zelda franchise will be playable at June's E3 expo in Los Angeles.

While the new Zelda game doesn't yet have a subtitle, it does have a platform: Wii. Realism will be the theme of this new game, marking a departure once again from the cel-shaded style used in the recently release Spirit Tracks.

Series creator Eiji Aonuma tells the magazine, "You may be under the impression that we are still only in the early stages of development [but] in fact we are well into the making of the game."

You can be sure that we'll have more details on the new Zelda game as E3 approaches.

While the new Zelda game doesn't yet have a subtitle, it does have a platform: Wii. Realism will be the theme of this new game, marking a departure once again from the cel-shaded style used in the recently release Spirit Tracks.

I predict a simultaneous release on Wii AND Zii. And maybe Oii.

Next year's E3 could be something really special. Unless of course, it isn't. In which case, er, it won't be. Yeah.

I'm still hoping for a radical change to one of my points listed above. How about the chance to control Zelda for half the game, before she gets herself in trouble, at which point you take over as Link? Their advertising tag line could be "You will rescue the girl. And play like one."

I predict a simultaneous release on Wii AND Zii. And maybe Oii.

Next year's E3 could be something really special. Unless of course, it isn't. In which case, er, it won't be. Yeah.

I'm still hoping for a radical change to one of my points listed above. How about the chance to control Zelda for half the game, before she gets herself in trouble, at which point you take over as Link? Their advertising tag line could be "You will rescue the girl. And play like one."

You and I both know that at least 70 % of NINTENDO's E3 conference will be dedicated to the Wii vitality sensor, smiles and numbers.