Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

[SPOILERS!!] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Dante

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Och, hate is a strong word! With Minish Cap, I thought it was totally and utterly average. I wasn't a big fan of the Kinstones, the segmented world map or even the "shrinking" idea, but most of all I was unimpressed with the graphics. They were an attempt to recreate Wind Waker's graphics and character designs, but without polygons or cel-shading they didn't stand a chance. They would have been better of with Link to the Past graphics (like Four Swords Adventure - that was great).

Now Spirit Tracks, on the other hand, I found to be utterly brilliant.

Well, I thought Minish Cap was brilliant in its own little way. Fluid, fun and easy to play. It also had some creative items. And the Zelda series cameos all over the game... :love:

I didn't mind the randomness of the kinstones, it wasn't that bad, except for that one sidequest that could only be done once.

As for the graphics, they were better than anything in LttP. It's not just about the character sprites, the surrounding environments were gorgeous as well.

Ezlo was hilarious too, even if he insulted you at every opportunity.

Man, Minish Cap is such a good game.

I want a Minish Cap sequel on the 3DS. I'd love to see if they could pull off Zelda-style sprites in 3D, with the bottom of the screen coming towards you and the back going into the screen, along with being able to tell that the hills/walls are 3D. Plus it was so much better than the DS Zelda games.

Minish Cap is a fantastic game and to this day it baffles me why it gets the hate it does. ::shrug: It's a much better game than Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass.

Bro, outside of RPG's you and me can see eye too eye with awesome games :D

Och, hate is a strong word! With Minish Cap, I thought it was totally and utterly average. I wasn't a big fan of the Kinstones, the segmented world map or even the "shrinking" idea, but most of all I was unimpressed with the graphics. They were an attempt to recreate Wind Waker's graphics and character designs, but without polygons or cel-shading they didn't stand a chance. They would have been better of with Link to the Past graphics (like Four Swords Adventure - that was great).

lol wut? It wasn't trying to recreate Wind Waker graphics, it was recreating Four Swords on A Link To the past, you know, it has vaati and mechanisms for the four swords suited for one player people. (Only thing this game had in common was the artwork but thats it.)

And Kinstone = Awesome and made post content of the game massive!!! (And getting all those figurines after the game was such a time consuming thing but I loved every minute of it :D )

And the music in Minish Cap was truly awesome

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Knowing full well that the guy who directed Minish Cap and the oracle games is directing Skyward Sword my hype for this game is bigger then any Zelda game to date :D

I just watched the

for this, and man, how were we under-whelmed? I remember watching it thinking "wtf? this is not what I want." In retrospect, however, it was more that I didn't anticipate what was being shown. Looking back at it now, I'm actually really thrilled for the game. Bring it on, Nintendo.

[/rant]

Edit: Just watched the

1) The game didn't look/play/sound half that awesome.

2) At 0:29, Link is holding is sword straight up in the air as he's riding Epona - just like Miyamoto originally envisioned. :)

Edited by LostOverThere

@ Killer-Kirby

Ah, just those tunes and your praise were enough for me to get all emotional up in here:cry:

I am so downloading every zelda game on my 3DS!

Also,

Who is that director and didn't The Minish Cap hold some relation to Capcom? They developed it right?

I just watched the
for this, and man, how were we under-whelmed? I remember watching it thinking "wtf? this is not what I want." In retrospect, however, it was more that I didn't anticipate what was being shown. Looking back at it now, I'm actually really thrilled for the game. Bring it on, Nintendo.

[/rant]

Edit: Just watched the

1) The game didn't look/play/sound half that awesome.

2) At 0:29, Link is holding is sword straight up in the air as he's riding Epona - just like Miyamoto originally envisioned. :)

I think that if you see both trailer without any knowledge about the gameplay itself the Skyward Sword trailer easily looks more underwhelming because it's just a few gameplay scenes, while the TP one has movie-trailer quality.

@ Killer-Kirby

Ah, just those tunes and your praise were enough for me to get all emotional up in here:cry:

I am so downloading every zelda game on my 3DS!

Also,

Who is that director and didn't The Minish Cap hold some relation to Capcom? They developed it right?

Yeah he worked for Capcom in the Flagship Co area. and when Capcom closed it Nintendo hired the director of Minish Cap which now brings him here, directing the new Zelda game :D

Oh and the directors name is Hidemaro Fujibayashi

No. Unless the seemingly much quicker item selection, the zoomed in map and on-the-fly usage of potions counts as "simplification for the casual player". I'd call those "improvements". Having to drink potions on the fly might even be more difficult to handle, as the game won't stop for a fancy gulping animation. ;)

Rather in the contrary: Footage of the fight against the scorpion I've seen did show how the player suffered substantial damage from hits (and died). This will probably be subject to balancing later in the development process, but so might be a lot of other things. I haven't seen a single Mii in any of the videos, either.

Would you mind linking the particular footage, that makes this look like a "casual" Zelda (whatever that may be)? Or would you at least elaborate a bit?

Edited by Burny

No. Unless the seemingly much quicker item selection, the zoomed in map and on-the-fly usage of potions counts as "simplification for the casual player". I'd call those "improvements". Having to drink potions on the fly might even be more difficult to handle, as the game won't stop for a fancy gulping animation. ;)

Rather in the contrary: Footage of the fight against the scorpion I've seen did show how the player suffered substantial damage from hits (and died). This will probably be subject to balancing later in the development process, but so might be a lot of other things. I haven't seen a single Mii in any of the videos, either.

Would you mind linking the particular footage, that makes this look like a "casual" Zelda (whatever that may be)? Or would you at least elaborate a bit?

It's nothing in particular just a gut feeling I have, according to the item screen there will be far less items than in Twlight Princess too.

Regardless this is still my most hyped game for 2011, I love the art style.

It's nothing in particular just a gut feeling I have, according to the item screen there will be far less items than in Twlight Princess too.

Regardless this is still my most hyped game for 2011, I love the art style.

Twilight Princess had plenty of items you barely used.

Also, remember: "Simple" does not mean "Easy" or "Bad"

As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo's "dumbing down" phase (for want of a better term) ended years ago, and was only really applied to the Wii console itself and its early games. In fact, at the risk of being controversial, I don't believe they are the same Nintendo that launched the Wii.

Their more recent games have been totally hardcore. Super Mario Galaxy 2, for instance, was rock hard (arguably too much so) and this year's line-up - Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong - is a world away from Wii Fit. Furthermore, they've realised their machines should be able to play all sorts of games (like the 3DS), in terms of both controls and power.

I completely agree with the above. Core Nintendo franchises are still shining beacons of quality in the industry and I expect a new Zelda to continue that trend.

It makes sense that with experience these games get easier. The mechanics, puzzles, core gameplay set pieces/elements will always remain in a framework of sorts. And when you've played your 4/5th Zelda/Mario/Metroid it almost seems to play easier. We all remember our first 2D or 3D Mario/Metroid/Zelda etc.

What has been wonderful throughout Nintendo's history is how they have constantly evolved such pitfalls with new mechanics.

The examples would be immense.

Arguably, Zelda benefits from this through item invention and player usage. An ocarina, an ocean, a transformation, a train...

Other key franchises use items cleverley too. Metroid & Mario for instance. In these powerups lie Nintendo's reinventions. It is perhaps when the world itself is reinvented that Nintendo redefine videogames. SMG is a recent example.

I await the fruits of Nintendo's looms as much today as I did back in the 1980's. There are few other companies with such fine-tuned knowledge of how to create wonderful, rewarding entertainment.

Remember, as a console maker, Nintendo 'define' their place in the entertainment market through their own titles. Wii: Sports/Play/Fit/Music did this yet the franchise games will always remain and must ALWAYS deliver. In that truth then, the Zelda's and Mario's always remind us that Nintendo know they were built on franchises, both innovative and special.

And this will never stop

Edited by tapedeck

After watching some more videos of this today I have a horrible feeling it's gonna be simplified for the casual player, I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling.

Anyone else been thinking the same?

If anything it's a sign that Nintendo have finally understood the difference between hardcore gamers and casuals and are truly bringing out wonders that both sides can truly enjoy them in different ways.

I think New Super Mario Bros Wii was the first sign to it, game was very simple to begin with but as you continued through the game it got pretty crazy which even gave me a challenge.

Point of fact: people were playing the demo, I hiiiiiighly doubt that Nintendo would show all the devices Link is going to use in the game :heh:

Yes but it showed spaces with an "?" and including them it was still far less than TP.

Anyways, we'll just have to wait. Wish I never posted anything now aha.

They did? Hmm how odd.

Well anyway the reason they brought in that new inventory into the Zelda games since TP was so people could no longer predict how many items were in the game. (Like how you could tell how many right off the bat there were when playing OOT, MM and WW) Hope that makes sense. :heh:

Remember, those were the only items they showed at E3. There's undoubtedly more. I mean, they're not going to show off every item you can get in the game during one demo. Remember of course, this is the developer who made a specific E3-only-demo.

Which brings me to my next point. We know nothing about this game. The E3 demo wont be in the game, so what do we really know? We haven't seen anything at all.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!