Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Other publishers would kill for eight of those nine games in 12 months having Metacritic scores of 88, 89, 87, 87, 83, 86, 80 and 91.

Kav's not a publisher though, he's a customer and if the games in question aren't in a genre he likes then a metacritic score means absolutely nothing. It would be like trying to sell me on a highly rated simulation game. It could be rated the best game in the world but if I don't find it appealing then its pointless.

23 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

The only thing I agree with is the Joycon drift problem. Can't believe Nintendo of all people have managed to put out shoddy joysticks. Games-wise, I think the Switch has great variety and is oversaturated (even before Animal Crossing). But each to their own!

I'll quote you because you put the confused icon on my post. :p 

I'm someone who bought and played all the best games on the Wii U and i'm also a person who owns multiple consoles. This being the case, it means that a lot of Switch games that do get announced i've already played them before. Add to the fact at the rate I burn through games and it means a lot of the time i'm left waiting for something to be released on the console that I actually want to play.

16 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I just can’t believe people preferred the Wii U to the Switch!! 

Miiverse, a proper Virtual Console, backwards compatibility with the Wii, fantastic exclusive software lineup that the Switch has yet to match. Obviously all of this is in hindsight. It's true what they say, you don't realise what you have until it's gone. :( 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

 

Miiverse, a proper Virtual Console, backwards compatibility with the Wii, fantastic exclusive software lineup that the Switch has yet to match. Obviously all of this is in hindsight. It's true what they say, you don't realise what you have until it's gone. :( 

A controller you couldn’t take out of the room without it disconnecting... :p

Ahhh good times. Haha I know what you mean though. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Kav's not a publisher though, he's a customer and if the games in question aren't in a genre he likes then a metacritic score means absolutely nothing. It would be like trying to sell me on a highly rated simulation game. It could be rated the best game in the world but if I don't find it appealing then its pointless.

This isn't a question of taste, it's one of quality. He said they weren't top quality, that they weren't decent. "they’re not the stellar titles others think they are". I assume that means he's played them all and has a different opinion as to their quality than the majority.

If what he meant to write was that the genres don't appeal to him, then of course that's also fair enough, but that's not what he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a different note...If I was Nintendo I would 100% just get AM2R out on Switch ASAP. I've heard nothing but incredible things about that game and whilst we're still a way off from Prime 4, getting that game on Switch would be ace. Swallow your pride Nintendo and work with the team behind it to get it on Switch. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

This isn't a question of taste, it's one of quality. He said they weren't top quality, that they weren't decent. "they’re not the stellar titles others think they are". I assume that means he's played them all and has a different opinion as to their quality than the majority.

If what he meant to write was that the genres don't appeal to him, then of course that's also fair enough, but that's not what he said.

Given what I know about his tastes, I'm pretty sure Kav hasn't played all of those games. When he said nothing decent on the platform I interpreted that as in there's nothing decent for him.

3 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

On a different note...If I was Nintendo I would 100% just get AM2R out on Switch ASAP. I've heard nothing but incredible things about that game and whilst we're still a way off from Prime 4, getting that game on Switch would be ace. Swallow your pride Nintendo and work with the team behind it to get it on Switch. 

 

There have been a few rumours kicking about in regards to a 2D Metroid being made for the Swtch. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. Personally, I wouldn't mind Mercury Steam having another crack at it. I loved Samus Returns on the 3DS.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kav said:

I’ve got to say, the Switch is fast becoming my least liked Nintendo console... I even had more fun with the WiiU than I am doing with Switch.

There's too big a drought of big/decent First Party titles, Third Party lacking as always and the build quality of the JoyCon’s is awful, the analogues are dog-shit. JoyCon drift has ruined my time with my Switch, I hardly ever play it now.

Still, I got the console, BotW & the Pro Controller for £27 after trading in my WiiU & games so at least I’ve not forked out loads on it.

Just massively disappointed in it. :sad:

Well Switch is basically a glorified portable Wii U at this point, so of course you're not gonna find it as exciting the second time around :p 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Respectfully, that's simply not true. The situation is much improved this gen, blame the likes of EA or Capcom for not supporting a 50+ million selling console for some reason. ::shrug:


You can't blame third parties for not supporting it enough. These companies don't leave money on the table, if they're not supporting it that's because they don't see the profit/audience being there - remember it's more work as well to make Switch versions (X1 and PS4 are a similar power level).

You have to remember that most people will want games like COD on a console like X1 or PS4, where all their friends are. That leaves a slim audience for those types of games on Switch.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sheikah said:


 

 


You can't blame third parties for not supporting it enough. These companies don't leave money on the table, if they're not supporting it that's because they don't see the profit/audience being there - remember it's more work as well to make Switch versions (X1 and PS4 are a similar power level).

You have to remember that most people will want games like COD on a console like X1 or PS4, where all their friends are. That leaves a slim audience for those types of games on Switch.

 

The problem is that they need to build and grow the audience in the first place, something they should have done 3 generations ago. This is sheer short-sightedness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sméagol said:

The problem is that they need to build and grow the audience in the first place, something they should have done 3 generations ago. This is sheer short-sightedness.

On Nintendo’s part yeah

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

On Nintendo’s part yeah

No 3rd parties too. And consumers.. some of you forget to buy these games. They shouldn't have abandoned Nintendo during the Wii period. The Wii had some amazing exlusives, but it dropped during that period. Partly because some of you didn't buy these games. After that, the audience was gone. Chicken & egg etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

No 3rd parties too. And consumers.. some of you forget to buy these games. They shouldn't have abandoned Nintendo during the Wii period. The Wii had some amazing exlusives, but it dropped during that period. Partly because some of you didn't buy these games. After that, the audience was gone. Chicken & egg etc.

I mean Nintendo continued to put out underpowered consoles with extremely poor online services at a time where that was taking off and they suffered for it. It’s also been rumoured for a long time that Nintendo were hard to work with when it came to third parties after the SNES. Third parties just want to make money, they aren’t going to drop whole generations of consoles unless there are actual reasons, some of which people have already stated in this thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I mean Nintendo continued to put out underpowered consoles with extremely poor online services at a time where that was taking off and they suffered for it. 

That's true, and that did sting when the Wiki launched.. That said, in hindsight.. I don't think we would have a Switch now if they didn't follow that path back then.

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Third parties just want to make money, they aren’t going to drop whole generations of consoles unless there are actual reasons, some of which people have already stated in this thread.

They want to make money, but they prefer making less money on short-term over more money on long-term, which is what I don't get.

Edited by Sméagol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

.. That said, in hidsight.. I don;t think we would have a Switch now if they didn't follow that path back then.

And isn’t that the discussion here? Some of us (the smart ones :P) aren’t happy with the Switch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

That's true, and that did sting when the Wiki launched.. That said, in hindsight.. I don't think we would have a Switch now if they didn't follow that path back then.

They want to make money, but they prefer making less money on short-term over more money on long-term, which is what I don't get.

There's no guarantee that they'll make more money long term though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

And isn’t that the discussion here? Some of us (the smart ones :P) aren’t happy with the Switch

I hadn't followed the full discussion yet, I've been reading up now. Was mostly reacting to what was posted directly above me.

But yeah, I was "fortunate" to have missed the Wiiu era, so that definitely helped. I can understand that things are less great if you did play all those games back then. Or on other consoles.

And yeah, Switch controllers are terrible, and the worst in Nintendo history. That's a fact.

But game-wise, personally, I'm very happy. Looking at my most played games, I see a healthy mix of games, of which only a few can be even considered a Wiiu port.. Splatoon 2 and Mario Maker 2, which I personally consider full sequels, but not everyone does. Zelda of course, although in that case you had the choice of experiencing it on Wiiu or Switch. And a few "old ports" the system is famous for, notably Dark Souls ( a game which I myself already had played, but happily replayed it on Switch), and a few others, like Doom. Most are new games though, from 1st and 3rd party, some of those indies.

Edited by Sméagol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

There's no guarantee that they'll make more money long term though. 

There's no guarantee they'll make it short term. That's the risk of running a business. But not planning for the long term does guarantee you run your company into the ground, eventually.

Edited by Sméagol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

No 3rd parties too. And consumers.. some of you forget to buy these games. They shouldn't have abandoned Nintendo during the Wii period. The Wii had some amazing exlusives, but it dropped during that period. Partly because some of you didn't buy these games. After that, the audience was gone. Chicken & egg etc.

They can abandon whoever they like if it's not worth their time. Nintendo have long neglected their online infrastructure - the fact remains on Switch you cannot send anyone a message or invite them to a party within the console. Back to the COD example - why would they want to release COD on a console like that? Bear in mind that most people with a Switch own a second console, it reasons that most people would rather play COD on those consoles instead (with all their friends on those systems).

The idea that we need to "show support" as some kind of charity by buying the games they put out on the Wii doesn't really make sense. People should buy the games because they want to buy the games. The fact remains that the Wii versions always were inferior to the 360 and PS3 counterparts, because Nintendo's console was underpowered and hobbled by the online infrastructure. Nothing the third parties can do about that; and people were absolutely within their right to buy the superior versions on the other consoles instead.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

The idea that we need to "show support" as some kind of charity by buying the games they put out on the Wii doesn't really make sense. People should buy the games because they want to buy the games. The fact remains that the Wii versions always were inferior to the 360 and PS3 counterparts, because Nintendo's console was underpowered and hobbled by the online infrastructure. Nothing the third parties can do about that; and people were absolutely within their right to buy the superior versions on the other consoles instead.

Sure, but it's not all about the ports though. And  I don't know from my own experience, but I heard the CoD ports were fun with wii controls. But also cool exclusives like Zack & Wiki, which were not hindered at all by the Wii's inferior specs, and in fact greatly benefitted from the wii controls. Too few people gave that game a chance, even if it's in my opinion top 10. But also 3rd party stuff like Red Steel (2) and Silent Hill.

Anyway. Doesn't matter anymore, can't change what's happened. Anyway, I particularly don't want much stuff from EA, I'll buy C&C remastered on PC, but yeah, personally I would buy a Resident Evil 2 remake on Switch to name an example. It's not there, so I can't buy it.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have I missed something, or is it no longer possible to post screenshots to Twitter from the Switch?  The option is no longer there on mine, only Facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Other publishers would kill for eight of those nine games in 12 months having Metacritic scores of 88, 89, 87, 87, 83, 86, 80 and 91.

It's a shame you've played them all and not enjoyed any apart from Link's Awakening :(

Like I said, opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Have I missed something, or is it no longer possible to post screenshots to Twitter from the Switch?  The option is no longer there on mine, only Facebook.

I posted some earlier on today so it's definitely still possible. Having said that, I did get some weird message pop-up on my Switch the other day just before posting, something about confirming where I wanted to post, and there was the option for Twitter or Facebook. Perhaps you need to re-link your Twitter account. ::shrug:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Have I missed something, or is it no longer possible to post screenshots to Twitter from the Switch?  The option is no longer there on mine, only Facebook.

 

26 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I posted some earlier on today so it's definitely still possible. Having said that, I did get some weird message pop-up on my Switch the other day just before posting, something about confirming where I wanted to post, and there was the option for Twitter or Facebook. Perhaps you need to re-link your Twitter account. ::shrug:

Yeah likewise, I posted earlier

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RedShell, @Ashley, thanks for the replies.  I've got it working now, I just wasn't being very attentive.  Since the update, Twitter is referred to by your username on there, rather than "Twitter" as such.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, uh, what's happening with NNID logins, are they coming back, can you "upgrade" them to normal logins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to more overpriced ports following the release of Burnout Paradise.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites