N-Europe

General Switch Discussion

Ashley

This has popped up on various European retailer websites.

kqdmhcD.png

Given the release date looks to be November, I wonder if this is a possible announcement in an up and coming Nintendo Direct.  I had a good time playing it back during the Wii era.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This has popped up on various European retailer websites.

kqdmhcD.png

Given the release date looks to be November, I wonder if this is a possible announcement in an up and coming Nintendo Direct.  I had a good time playing it back during the Wii era.

Man, I always wanted MySims, MySims Agents and MySims Racing back on the Wii, they were plastered all over my copies of Pokémon World :laughing:

Count me curious if this is getting ported! Feel like my sister would love this especially. 

Edited by Julius

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but there's been a bit of a shake-up at the top of Nintendo of Europe as President Stephan Bole has stepped down, with Luciano Pereña taking the reins. There have been some other leadership changes made, too. 

From Nintendo Life:

Nintendo of Europe has announced a few changes to its management structure after Stephan Bole stepped down from his role as President.

Bole served as President for NoE for six years after succeeding Satoru Shibata in 2018, and has being an employee at the company for more than 35 years. According to the announcement, Bole has "decided to leave the company and call an end to his full-time professional career". Nintendo has announced that Luciano Pereña has now succeeded Bole as CEO and President, marking a step up from his previous role as Nintendo of Europe's Chief Financial Officer.

[...]

That's not all though, as Laurent Fischer has been announced as the new Chief Operating Officer, with Tom Enoki stepping in as Senior Managing Director. The former joined Nintendo France's marketing team in 1998 and has been serving as Chief Marketing Officer since 2018, while the latter joined the senior management team of NoE in 2022.

Nintendo has recently completed an operation in which all of its European entities have been merged into a single operation known as 'Nintendo of Europe SE'. All of the individual offices remain open and active, but Nintendo states that the move would allow for "improvement in business efficiency and acceleration in decision making".

So...does anyone actually remember ever seeing Bole turn up anywhere of note? I remember Shibata used to show his face from time to time such as at the Switch Presentation in January 2017, but can't remember seeing Bole's face anywhere before after looking him up ::shrug:

RGD has released an updated video on Project Indy with a few new tidbits of information!

Notably it mentions the use of a downclocked version of the Wii U's Latte GPU, which could switch between different MHz speeds depending on whether or not it was being used as a handheld or console, some more detailed tech specs (including some parts that actually did get repurposed in the current Switch we have today), as well as the notion that the New3DS' Super Stable 3D feature was originally developed for the Indy, before being retrofitted into the New3DS instead!

As an added bonus, there's also a little mention of some details behind the cancelled portable Gamecube here too, as well as what may have been a Wii U Pro of sorts!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WTF!?!?

This is a First Party Playstation Japan Studios production!! Sony still fully own the IP!

That's nuts! So they're now willing to port their abandoned Japan Studio IP over to the Switch? Can we have Wild Arms please?

Dimps (yes, the handheld Sonic guys) were the main developer for the original, Japan Studio just provided a bit of support. Dimps got permission from Sony to use the IP themselves and are doing the remaster themselves, which is why Namco are publishing. 

The developer of Wild Arms could potentially do the same thing, though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cube said:

Dimps (yes, the handheld Sonic guys) were the main developer for the original, Japan Studio just provided a bit of support. Dimps got permission from Sony to use the IP themselves and are doing the remaster themselves, which is why Namco are publishing. 

The developer of Wild Arms could potentially do the same thing, though.

You could say a lot of the same about Japan Studio's IP in general though?  The majority of their output was co-developed with outside studios.

Off the top of my head, you have 

Level-5 (Dark Cloud 1-2, Rogue Galaxy, White Knight Story, Jeanne D'arc)

Cattle Call (Arc the Lad)

Matrix Software (Alundra IP)

Media.vision (Wild Arms)

Marvelous (Soul Sacrifice)

NanaOn-Sha (Parrappa The Rapper/Umjammer Lammy/Vib Ribbon)

Everybody's Golf (Clap Hanz, Camelot for the first game)

You even have several modern studios that splintered off from Playstation, such as Playrise Digital (former Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool), and Gen Design (former Team Ico/SOTC) that could potentially bring back other forgotten Playstation IP (such as WipeOut).

This move opens up a lot of doors all of a sudden! :D

Edited by Dcubed

A month or two back I posted how Nintendo of Japan had released this summer's Nintendo Switch magazine. I loved the look of it and so decided to track them all down. My first shipment from Japan arrived today.

GXxK15LW8AAqR1A?format=jpg&name=large

GXxK15SW0AAyJMO?format=jpg&name=large

They are awesome. Really makes me miss the era of gaming magazines. I still need to find the others.

I'm always impressed by Japanese sellers on eBay. Everything was packed amazingly well and in mint condition. Had these been from the UK they probably would have been pages missing and stinking of smoke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing those @Hero-of-Time, they look great! Love that cover of Link chomping on some water melon slices :laughing: love the little note too. What's that fabric-looking thing? 

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm always impressed by Japanese sellers on eBay. Everything was packed amazingly well and in mint condition. Had these been from the UK they probably would have been pages missing and stinking of smoke.

I've heard a lot about this, and I think if I'm unable to locate a JP version of Suikoden II on PS1 at an event in the coming months, I'm really going to need to look into a Japanese seller on eBay – it's the only place I've been able to track the thing down! 

Meanwhile, back when I got my PS3 and bought all those secondhand games, I ended up with a steelbook instead of a standard case (bleh), all the clear PS3 cases looked like they could do with a clean (blech), and you're right, they absolutely reeked of smoke.

Still have nightmares about cleaning that DualShock 3 :shakehead

EDIT: huh, just realised as I've been thinking about getting a backup DS3 anyways but the quality and price are all over the place here – why don't I just import one from Japan? *chin stroking intensifies*

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

It's finally here!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DFWJYXTX?th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DFX1XFFH?th=1

At long last! We have finally reached the coverted 2TB Micro SD card! The maximum of the SDXC format, and the maximum that the Switch and all other currently commercially available devices can support!

Finally! An upgrade worth considering for me... maybe not at the current price though :laughing:

Going beyond 2TB will require SD Cards to move to the SDUC (Ultra Capacity) format, which isn't commercially available yet, nor supported by any currently available electronics device (Supports up to 128TB at 4GB per sec).  I suspect that Switch 2 will be the first device to support it, because there isn't really any other choice of mobile storage format that can give you the storage speed that you need to keep up with PS5/Series X games (unless Nintendo start shipping games on SSDs lol).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Watch it not be related to Switch 2 but the new museum or the theme parks. 

My bet is it is required to connect to your phone to do voice chat. 

I know the technology isn't about that, but this is Nintendo and they'll do what they can to make voice chat difficult

28 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Watch it not be related to Switch 2 but the new museum or the theme parks. 

I would’ve thought this initially, but the fact that it has a designated product number (CLO-001), like what all of their retail products have, is what gives me pause here.

Edited by Dcubed