N-Europe

Borderlands

Daft

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I canne wait!

Haven't played a looty game since.... well Fallout 3 I guess! But the 4 player co-op reminds me of my first foray into online gaming with PSO on Dreamcast, so many memorieeeees.

The quesion is who will you pick?

Everyone needs this game! Been on it for about 8 hours wit 4 of me mates, its amazin! Im playin as the beserker, its proper fun using his power to bash peoples heads in. The classes work really well together as long as everyone plays their role. The weapons are mint, you come across so many!

Played it on my own for an hour, was a tad bored, as soon as we got 4 of us the fun started, best co-op game iv played in a long time!

So much to tell, but so tired!

I'm going to GAME in a bit. And have £40 burning a hole in my pocket, so its either this for the PS3, or Forza 3 for the 360.

Decisions decisions.:hmm:

If you buy this for £40 you are throwing away a tenner since it's £29.99 at 365games and zavvi.co.uk

^ From what I'm hearing, apparently they've already been fixed by Gearbox. I can't say for sure or not whether this is true but I did read something about Gearbox being quick off the mark to fix the issues.

I'm interested in getting this but not sure on which console. Without a headset on the PS3, I'd go for the 360 version but I don't know whether there'll be enough of my friends to play in coop. I honestly shouldn't be buying this type of game at this moment in time because it'll sapped my time away like Fallout 3 did earlier in the year (I got it late) so I think I'm going to wait a few weeks and by then, I can see it being in one of GAME/Gamestation's pre-xmas weekly price drop things for about £19.99 like Fallout 3 and other were last year.

The quesion is who will you pick?

I've gone for Lilath because I secretly want to be a women. No, wait, the other thing: her Phasewalk ability. It's nice having a panic button that can quickly give me some distance; or close the gap, depending on the situation.

I tried Mordecai at first but found his special ability to be rather boring. Brick simply doesn't suit my play style, focussed as he is on explosives and rage, and I figure a lot of people will pick Roland because he seems like a good soloist — he can drop a sentry gun and heal himself, etcetera.

The game is very much like an MMO. Loot uses the Blizzard colour coding system — the rarity scale ascending white, green, blue, purple, orange — quest structure will be familiar for anyone that's played WoW, and from what I can tell it even has different zones that have their own suggested level ranges. It also reminds me a lot of Phantasy Star Online, albeit wrapped in very different aesthetics.

That said it is first and foremost a shooter and a pleasingly decent one at that. Areas offer a decent amount of cover and there's usually a way to flank the enemy or take up a sniper position; it's clearly made by people who know how to design an FPS rather than just being a network of corridors with guys in it. The AI is very rudimentary, although you could argue that's just part and parcel of the games that Borderlands is built upon. Enemies do have different weakpoints and vulnerabilities, at least, so you'll be able to get through areas a lot faster if you mix things up.

I'm enjoying the randomised loot. By and large weapons are all fairly similar — they are guns, after all — but it's great when you come across something that's a perfect storm of attributes. As an example I came across an SMG which on the face of things did less damage that my current model, but as it's bullets had a high chance to explode on impact it was a lot more useful than it would initially appear. It's not all about guns, either, as you can also upgrade your shield, grenades, and find several tweaks that only apply to the class you're playing. One of my favourite features is that every time you open the shop there will be a weapon on offer for a limited amount of time — there's a countdown clock under it — and occasionally you can snag something that's leagues ahead of your current equipment. Knowing that you could find something amazing in the next chest or on the next enemy adds a compelling element to proceedings, and as you keep finding better stuff it means that you aren't left using the same piece of equipment for most of the game.

Finally got it. Played about it for about an hour and a half and so far it's great. You can tell it is made for co-op but its got the feel and the controls spot on and I have my looting addiction back. :heh: It also looks fantastic and seeing numbers poor out of people when you shot them is damn satisfying as usual. Also, getting a critical hit it sweet.

PS3ers need to co-op it up.

I'm currently a level 6 soldier.

I think they sorted out the problems with the PS3 version because everything seemed to be working fine. I read it was something they could fix server side....although I'm not sure how.

Edit: The vehicles in this are awesome.

Edited by Daft

Well I folded and bought this to cheer myself up after a lame day :heh: it's a lot of fun, been playing it splitscreen for a couple of hours. It's nice to just wander around collecting gold and making use of your abilities. I picked the Hunter and he's cool with a sniper, although his bird isn't much use yet.

Right, got this on the PS3. Hope you fuckers are greatful, I wanted it on the 360 but decided to get PS3 so I can co-op with you all. My ID is UKStumpy. Give me a day or so to get used to it and level up and I'll be more than up for some co-op.

Nice one Goafer! Added.

Where abouts are you? I've been playing for quite a few hours today. I'm level 12 and I need to grinding.

I think I'm up to level 6. Only had one play session on it so far. I've just killed 9 toes.

I decided to go for the Hunter since I like sniper rifles. It's good to see that you're not limited to what weapons you can use and still level your skill with them, but only gain special abilities with your classes weapons.

I think I'm up to level 6. Only had one play session on it so far. I've just killed 9 toes.

I decided to go for the Hunter since I like sniper rifles. It's good to see that you're not limited to what weapons you can use and still level your skill with them, but only gain special abilities with your classes weapons.

I love 9 Toes' gun.

Yeah, I really like that you can still use all the weapons. I like sniper rifles but would rather not have them as my speciality.

I'll probably be on a lot of tomorrow so if anyone wants to co-op up then let me know. My headset is charged and ready.