NEurope

How many sets of how many reps are you meant to do for pushups.

I can do about 35. Should I do three sets of 35?

Yeah, given that pushups are a bodyweight exercise (so no increasing intensity) you basically should just do as many as possible. The most important thing is to get the technique right, alot of people do them pretty badly and don't get the full effect of it!

I could barely sit up out of bed yesterday morning due to overworking the stomach on Thursday, still feeling it today >_>

I could barely sit up out of bed yesterday morning due to overworking the stomach on Thursday, still feeling it today >_>

See, I never get like this with any gym exercises. I used to, but haven't done for years. I suppose I'm not pushing myself hard enough, but I certainly feel like I am at the time. :hmm:

Yeah, and Gizmo, it sounds like you pushed yourself a bit too hard. :heh:

...although I did the same thing last week and after a weekend I still feeling it on the Monday.

---

My pushup technique is good so that's cool.

Edited by Daft

Yeah, but it's all good because I can't go again until Tuesday :p

I used to get it just about every time with my chest - but now I've worked the chest so much that whenever I'm doing chest exercises it's other muscles that give up first. Quite annoying! Need to do more tricep stuff now to catch up :p

Also two seperate people commented on my buff-ness the other day. Woot.

Buffness. Love that word. :heh:

My left arm is still lagging behind my right. It's fuckooking annoying. I'm going to use my dumbbells at home to help even it up when I can.

This week has been a crap week for going to the gym. I'm dowwwwn with the sickneeeesss. [/Disturbed]

Went to see the female, so I've had a break of about 10 days or something from the gym. I went on Monday and had a gruelling back workout. Was aching even on Wednesday, but it felt so great to be training again. Then, had another great workout, for my biceps, triceps and forearms. Really worked the forearms. I'm a little bit sore there for that too. A nice feeling. Although, working in school yesterday with sore arms wasn't amazing, haha.

But, I'm feeling really ill this week, as I think I've caught something off the kids. Got a sore throat, headache and stuffs. So, it's annoying because I feel like my hard work has gone to a bit of waste. I wanted to go either today or tomorrow, but I probably won't be able to. Gah. :(

Don't worry Flinkster, you've got to rest up if you're ill or you'll make yourself worse!

There are certain days I can't go in the gym, my personal laws forbid it, Friday for example. Anyway, as ever I need to do more muscle toning type things for my stomach and arms. I don't want 'muscular arms', I just want nice arms.

My left arm is still lagging behind my right. It's fuckooking annoying. I'm going to use my dumbbells at home to help even it up when I can.

Just as long as you don't get as bad as Rafa Nadal I think you're fine.

A good back exercise (see the page before) is the bent over row using a barbell. I prefer it to the single row which Flinky suggested. Also the dead lift is pretty good too for your lower back.

I dunno if this is related with this thread but, when you're looking at food, and you don't want to eat fattening foods. Does it just have to have low fat content or do carbohydrates and proteins and all them count too?

I dunno if this is related with this thread but, when you're looking at food, and you don't want to eat fattening foods. Does it just have to have low fat content or do carbohydrates and proteins and all them count too?

low saturated fat, and low kcal (calories)

Don't worry Flinkster, you've got to rest up if you're ill or you'll make yourself worse!

There are certain days I can't go in the gym, my personal laws forbid it, Friday for example. Anyway, as ever I need to do more muscle toning type things for my stomach and arms. I don't want 'muscular arms', I just want nice arms.

I know, I need the rest. But, I feel pretty useless just sitting at home...coughing and sneezing. :(

Good luck with the toning of teh arms and abbbssss.

Just as long as you don't get as bad as Rafa Nadal I think you're fine.

A good back exercise (see the page before) is the bent over row using a barbell. I prefer it to the single row which Flinky suggested. Also the dead lift is pretty good too for your lower back.

I love the single rows, but doing it with barbells is also pretty nice, too.

So, tis Sunday, and still ill. In fact, I'm doubting whether I'll be able to go to work tomorrow or not. Ahh, illness, you suck.

Just got back from the gym. I am good tired.

I've had loads of people tell me I'm really slim which is annoying me for some reason. Then again, everyone has told me my new green mac coat looks awesome and I pretty much hate it (Don't ask me why I bought it).

Was hit with the flu and I haven't moved a muscle in 2 weeks. Feel really bad about it. Really want to go out jogging but the flu has left me with this smokers cough. But I'll be joining the gym again once I heal up. Too cold outside to keep doing this all naturale stuff.

I've had a cold recently and my body is producing a stack of catarrh (posh word for snot). My cycle ride to work now involves stopping every few minutes to empty my nasal passages onto the grass verge. It's well rank.

Why do you produce more snot when you exercise?

I always assumed it was because of the cold air you're cycling in heh. I never leave on my bicycle without tissues in my pocket, cause I know I'll need them somewhere along the way. =P

I always assumed it was because of the cold air you're cycling in heh. I never leave on my bicycle without tissues in my pocket, cause I know I'll need them somewhere along the way. =P

I think it's partly that but also because, say if you're cycling through traffic, the pollution in the air will irritate your nose (kind of like hay fever). I might be wrong though.

I think it's partly that but also because, say if you're cycling through traffic, the pollution in the air will irritate your nose (kind of like hay fever). I might be wrong though.

I don't really cycle through traffic much though, only a few parts of my route involve traffic, and it's mostly light traffic too. I also seem to have this problem a lot more during winter, so that's why I assumed it's all because of the colder weather and cold wind heh.

How many sets of how many reps are you meant to do for pushups.

I can do about 35. Should I do three sets of 35?

If I am working to improve the amount of push ups I can do, I will do 4-5 sets and if I can't manage more sets straight away, I will just rest until I feel I can. If you do 4-5 sets and increase the amount per set by 2-3 every other day, you can get to 50 in less than 2 weeks. I guess 3 sets will lead to an improvement, but 2 sets for me just maintains what I am capable of (like I've been doing for ages now!) I bet you will see much faster results if you do 4 or 5.

http://hundredpushups.com/logger.html

Logging your performance on that site is a really good idea! I used it for a week and forgot about it, but I think that I will start using it again. I increased the amount I could do per set by 8 in 1 week. I ended up doing 6 sets of 45, lol

EDIT: oops! Looks like it was more than a week as I must have had a huge break after the first couple of days! Lazy me. I'm going to try 300 push ups tonight.

Edited by Pyxis

If I am working to improve the amount of push ups I can do, I will do 4-5 sets and if I can't manage more sets straight away, I will just rest until I feel I can. If you do 4-5 sets and increase the amount per set by 2-3 every other day, you can get to 50 in less than 2 weeks. I guess 3 sets will lead to an improvement, but 2 sets for me just maintains what I am capable of (like I've been doing for ages now!) I bet you will see much faster results if you do 4 or 5.

http://hundredpushups.com/logger.html

Logging your performance on that site is a really good idea! I used it for a week and forgot about it, but I think that I will start using it again. I increased the amount I could do per set by 8 in 1 week. I ended up doing 6 sets of 45, lol

EDIT: oops! Looks like it was more than a week as I must have had a huge break after the first couple of days! Lazy me. I'm going to try 300 push ups tonight.

Holy fuck, I can barely do 10...

Yaaaay, feeling a bit better. So, been gymming it up again. I've still got a bit of a cough, so haven't done as much cardio as I had hoped this week. My man-tits are sore from yesterday's session, which supremely knackered me out. :)

However, when I popped to the gym on Wednesday (I think it was), I was greeted by some unfortunate news by the female on the desk. (not actually sitting on the desk...that's weird). She informed me that the gym would be closing at the end of the month. I wanted to let out a huge noooooooooooooo. It's a great gym, cheap and one street away from my house. To get to the other gyms, I'll need to either walk 10 mins or so down the road. Or, 20 mins and over the bridge to get to the other one. Not sure which one I'm gonna join just yet.

So incredibly gutted at that news. There's a nice atmosphere at that gym, and I'm a bit worried that the other two will just turn out to be teh shitz0r.

Holy fuck, I can barely do 10...

With no prior exercise, my body naturally did 20 and my left elbow would make this gross clicking noise after a few push ups.. That clicking went away and I am going to try for 57 push ups tomorrow. 10 puts you at the beginning of the 100 push ups challenge.:p I start to feel tired after 30 push ups, but it is possible to keep going.

I have started to do chin ups now.. I tried them for the first time in years yesterday and only managed 3 (I do weigh 95kg though). I am going to try to get to 10-15 at some point. I've decided to do these instead of getting weights.

Edit: I just went out and did 5!

Edited by Pyxis