NEurope

I can tell that guy's an asshole.

Damn right, you can see in his shit eating grin with the whole "6 months later" crap. Assuming it's even him. He's uploaded a shitload of videos as well.

@ Pook

Some of that (the swinging) looks a bit bad for your back.

You do need to make sure you get the technique right - for example, not bending all the way over and using your lower back muscles to counter balance the force of kettlebell as you lower it i.e. keeping your back positioned correctly as you perform the exercise. When you do normal weightlifting, obviously it is stressed that you do not use momentum to lift the weights as it can cause injury. But then traditional weight exercises are fairly stationary in nature. Here it's a case of raising the weight using momentum, but you're copying a motion that you could do sans kettlebell, without risk of damaging yourself. Plus, much like free weight training, you'll find yourself exercising supporting muscles as you're working whatever it is you intend to be primarily working.

They're a bit tricky to get used to but they're considered "the rage" at the moment. I stupidly started off using a 16kg kettlebell which was a bit too heavy for what I intended it for but once I built up my strength using an 8kg Kbell, the rest fell into place.

Lately, I've been lazy though and am in serious need of working myself hard so I feel a bit hypocritical for suggesting such devices when I'm hardly using them myself (around once or twice a week if that).

Hey, I made a popular thread without realising it. Aren't I awesome?

Well, another day and another excuse. I shall visit the gym either on Saturday or Sunday when my girlfriend is working. Are uni. gyms more busy on weekends?

Thanks for the info! I'll probably get them in about a month after I've got used to the free weights.

I had a year off before Uni and put on a lot of useless weight, which I lost really quickly from doing free weights (at home, on the floor/chair/bed) in my first year. It was actually going really well for me, I got a lot stronger, felt a lot healthier etc etc, it was great. But I was very strict, I did it three times a week and it took well over an hour. But then life got a bit busier and Uni got a lot harder, I didn't have time and I've got a bit of a beer belly. It's always in the corner of my mind to start the weights again but I just can't see how I can fit to the same schedule now that I work 37.5hrs/week :/

I'd never go to the gym unless I wanted to make use of a personal trainer. Why run on a machine when you can run on the streets?

The beefiest guy I know worked out intensely just using dumbbells and barbells, never went to the gym just used his bed. Coupled with an intelligent diet and a million protein shakes and he pretty much doubled in size in the 3 years we hung out.

Edited by Shorty

I just can't see how I can fit to the same schedule now that I work 37.5hrs/week :/

That's what so pr0 about the wrist/ankle weights.

I love going to the gym. I think I pay around 20 quid or so a month, but I get my money's worth as I spend quite a lot of time there. I too am worried about the moobs!

As for strength, I'm not that big a guy. Pretty short and haven't got a huuuge build. There are guys there lifting big dumbells and huge weight, and there's me chugging along lifting 10-12 kg handweights (per hand/arm) which isn't a great deal I don't think. Also, bench pressing! I can lift around 30-40 kilos, which again isn't a great deal, it just feels bluddy impossible to go higher. I'm definitely stronger than I was when I started going, but I still have a way to go.

I want to find out more about protein shakes and just what kinds of foods will help with muscle building/fat loss. Living at home means that my Mum does most of the cooking, and it isn't the healthiest of food to be honest, heh.

You guys might think i'm crazy for recommending this. But seriously get a powerball. Works out your entire arm, including the shoulder and chest. Non impact exercise. It seems really simple and pointless but once you get used to it, it really works out your muscles.

Sometimes you might be knackered and not in the mood to workout so a powerball can be a quick and easy way to do something.

As for dumbbells I would get cast iron. I got the 50KG vinyl set and it just takes up an unnecessary amount of room.

including the shoulder and chest.

Really? All it did was make my wrist ache and was really, really boring.

Wanking joke ahoy.

Pwerball? I thought you were talking about these -- essentially they're heavily weighted juggling balls that work out... er... well, a whole bunch of arm muscles.

I had a year off before Uni and put on a lot of useless weight, which I lost really quickly from doing free weights (at home, on the floor/chair/bed) in my first year. It was actually going really well for me, I got a lot stronger, felt a lot healthier etc etc, it was great. But I was very strict, I did it three times a week and it took well over an hour. But then life got a bit busier and Uni got a lot harder, I didn't have time and I've got a bit of a beer belly. It's always in the corner of my mind to start the weights again but I just can't see how I can fit to the same schedule now that I work 37.5hrs/week :/

I'd never go to the gym unless I wanted to make use of a personal trainer. Why run on a machine when you can run on the streets?

The beefiest guy I know worked out intensely just using dumbbells and barbells, never went to the gym just used his bed. Coupled with an intelligent diet and a million protein shakes and he pretty much doubled in size in the 3 years we hung out.

Haha yeah! He invested both time and money very intelligently to get where he wanted to go with his workout -- but what should be a 15 minute walk to town becomes a 25 min crawl, plus sit-down breaks. The man doesn't have the endurance to lug around all that extra weight yet.

Edited by jayseven

Gyms are great. Giving up two years ago was one of the stupiest things I've done, as I used to attend like clockwork and was only trying to save money/see if I could get the same results at home. I couldn't. Yes, I've got dumbells and my bicep/tricep strength is still approximately as good, but you just can't exercise your back muscles as well at home. I go hill running, but I don't like it, and actually found it far more effective to set the running machine to "Fat Burner". Back then, I actually had a four-pack.

My advice is this:

1) Go on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

2) Go as soon as you get up.

3) Start your workout by using a few different cardio-vascular machines first (eg. 10 minutes cycling, 10 minutes running, then maybe rowing or "Stairmaster"). Obviously your instructor will advise you in more detail, but I feel short bursts of variety and intensity burn fat very effectively.

Not meaning to be rude, but don't think about watching films. Embrace the daytime to get something good done. There's nothing better you could be doing at that moment.

In all honesty, it's very easy to stay trim and muscular, it's just changing your mindset. I must join again soon!

I'd have to agree with that. The last thing I'd want is to be slow and bulky. I'm trying to achieve a good middle ground.

It just seems a bit pointless and self defeating if you can do all this fancy stuff with weights yet struggle to walk or run. I think my goal is to get stronger, fitter and leaner. I've still got a little bit of a belly, but that is slowly coming on.

This is very true. Bulk is a bit silly, and not even greatly related to strength. I was very strong, and have never really been able to keep any bulk on.

Gyms are great. Giving up two years ago was one of the stupiest things I've done, as I used to attend like clockwork and was only trying to save money/see if I could get the same results at home. I couldn't. Yes, I've got dumbells and my bicep/tricep strength is still approximately as good, but you just can't exercise your back muscles as well at home. I go hill running, but I don't like it, and actually found it far more effective to set the running machine to "Fat Burner". Back then, I actually had a four-pack.

My advice is this:

1) Go on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

3) Start your workout by using a few different cardio-vascular machines first (eg. 10 minutes cycling, 10 minutes running, then maybe rowing or "Stairmaster"). Obviously your instructor will advise you in more detail, but I feel short bursts of variety and intensity burn fat very effectively.

Not meaning to be rude, but don't think about watching films. Embrace the daytime to get something good done. There's nothing better you could be doing at that moment.

In all honesty, it's very easy to stay trim and muscular, it's just changing your mindset. I must join again soon!

I'd have to agree with that. The last thing I'd want is to be slow and bulky. I'm trying to achieve a good middle ground.

I can't imagine stopping now, as I'm really enjoying going. I know a lot of people find it boring, but it can be as fun as you make it. It's all about pushing and challenging yourself.

Also, with the cardio stuff, I tend to start off with either some rowing or running, do my workout, then do the majority of my cardio stuff at the end. I think you burn more calories that way?

If there's one thing that is holding me back at the moment, it is probably my diet. But, I'm trying to eat more fruit and veg and trying to eat more healthily. But, I could be doing a lot better.

There really is nothing more satisfying than feeling the burn, though. It's great. :D

I want to have a good overall fitness, and want to be able to lift larger weights more comfortably. So to do this, I just need to endure longer walks, and heave at hefty items. Simple as. Luckily I'm getting paid to do this currently!

What a gym offers, though, is the option to really focus on a particular muscle or body part. I get the impression that after a while of 'working out' you'll notice certain 'elements' that need work on. etc.

I want to have a good overall fitness, and want to be able to lift larger weights more comfortably. So to do this, I just need to endure longer walks, and heave at hefty items. Simple as. Luckily I'm getting paid to do this currently!

What a gym offers, though, is the option to really focus on a particular muscle or body part. I get the impression that after a while of 'working out' you'll notice certain 'elements' that need work on. etc.

I definitely agree with the last bit. I think that my triceps need a lot more work, as do my shoulders. Triceps are sometimes criminally overlooked. They make up something like 2/3rds of the arm, yet people tend to just focus on biceps.

What is your training circuit like Flink? It is considered best to start with the muscle workout and then move onto cardio. The idea is that the muscle workout "activates" your muscles so that your cardio session can be more effective.

I've stopped going to the gym and opted for a more " au naturale" approach. Brought a dumbbell kit. Go out running for my cardio. It can be quite refreshing after a hard day. Plus you get all that clean fresh air in. Although the winter season may find me right back in the gymnasium.

Any reason? Because I hate waking up.

I normally cycle into university (Takes about 35 minutes to get there. 5.5 miles), have lectures and stuff for a couple hours and then go to the gym for 45minutes/an hour. Do weights and then cycle back home. Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

I don't do cardio at the gym, unless I need to warm up, because I cycle so much (At least 60 miles a week).

Edited by Daft

What is your training circuit like Flink? It is considered best to start with the muscle workout and then move onto cardio. The idea is that the muscle workout "activates" your muscles so that your cardio session can be more effective.

I've stopped going to the gym and opted for a more " au naturale" approach. Brought a dumbbell kit. Go out running for my cardio. It can be quite refreshing after a hard day. Plus you get all that clean fresh air in. Although the winter season may find me right back in the gymnasium.

I'm still a noob at the moment, so I'm always looking for different ideas and ways to approach things.

I try to read a lot into things, and a lot of sources on the web seem to suggest that you shouldn't work out the same specific body part for more than 2 times during a week. Although, some say three, so who knows.

Yesterday, I concentrated on my arms. So, started off by doing some rowing work as a little exercise to get me warmed up. Then, did some forearm curls, 3 sets, increasing the weight a little each time. After this, some bicep preacher curls, again increasing the weight each time. Then I did some tricep work, so some Tricep barbell extensions. Then, some tricep dumbell extensions, before some tricep cable pushdowns. I try to alternate, so between these I mixed in some dumbell bicep curls. It kinda works for me to keep alternating these. So, some dumbell curls, dumbell hammer curls. :) There is also a seated dip machine which I've used but find that it doesn't quite hit the spot for me. So, I tend to use the dip assist machine, or just to it manually. Love dips. :)

I'm particularly keen trying to keep things varied when I exercise. It's quite boring and ineffective (I find) just doing standard bicep curls. So, I'm looking for ways to mix things up. Although, a part of me is worrying that because I am only working out each part twice a week that maybe this isn't enough.

At the end of my workout, that's when I do my cardio work. I'm trying to do more now, about 30 mins worth altogether. So, I normally do some running, then exercise bike stuff. Not a fan of the cross trainer at all. I think the strongest part of my body at the moment is my legs, probably from the running I've been doing when at the gym. So, quite pleased, heh.

I want to find out more about protein shakes and just what kinds of foods will help with muscle building/fat loss. Living at home means that my Mum does most of the cooking, and it isn't the healthiest of food to be honest, heh.

Protein shakes are great! They help so much with the muscle recovery so you won't feel sore the next day at all. I tend to have a scoop before a workout and then a scoop and a bit after it, mixed with water. I'm also trying out BCAAs at the moment too as they were on special offer. They are amino acids which help with muscle regeneration.

Last semester of uni I was really into going to the gym but I didn't have one near me for a month over the summer so couldn't. Got back into it again but 5 weeks ago I got tendonitis in my shoulder and couldn't do anything at all. Yesterday was my first chest workout since I did my shoulder in, just taking it easy.

I tend to go for Biceps/back 1 day a week, chest and triceps another. Then on the 3rd day general leg work. At the end of each workout I do a quick shoulder routine and also beast the abs. Using the machine I do 15 reps, then 15 situps and then 15 of something else (lying down, bring your knees right up to your face). Do all 3 in a row without a break then have a 3 minute rest. Then repeat.

I was getting my cardio from squash but haven't done that in 5 weeks because of my shoulder. Haven't really done much at all and since then and feel pretty unfit. Been on a couple of runs and cycled a couple of times up at the gym. I do have a 15 minute brisk walk to and from work each day which helps I suppose.

I'm also trying out BCAAs at the moment too as they were on special offer. They are amino acids which help with muscle regeneration.

Where from? How are they doing you so far?

Ashley I love you.

I love that due to the rip this just seems like you randomly declared your love for me, which I always appreciate Pooki ;)

Just checked for local gyms, two in a nearby town that is a long and winding (well, hilly) road or one I knew of anyway but it looks kinda...dodgy. I dunno. I don't really use the gym for the sake of getting fit or toning up whatever, I like the schedule (and it used to be handy to have a shower in the middle of town when I used to live where my gym is).

I get a fair bit of exercise anyway with walking. Its not going to tone me (although I'd imagine my thighs could crush a newborn) but keeps my heart healthy and all that. Walked about 8-10 miles today at a guess.