NEurope

Your supposed to have two gap days a week (with minimal strenuous exercise) to help your muscles recover or they won't increase in mass at all. They'll just break.

My mother has osteoarthritis in her knee from the damage she did doing sometimes up to 3 spin cycle classes a day. She's crippled and can do very little exercise now..

Aye, I definitely make sure I get some rest days during the week, for my sanity more than anything.

That's...really bluddy nasty about your Mum. Sorry, Raining. 3 spin classes a day?! o_O

Aye, I definitely make sure I get some rest days during the week, for my sanity more than anything.

That's...really bluddy nasty about your Mum. Sorry, Raining. 3 spin classes a day?! o_O

Well she didn't do 3 a day, there was a few occasions on which she did though. She went probably about 5 days a week, averaging maybe 1.5-2 times a day (really depended when classes were on) and if she had the opportunity to go to an extra class she took it.

Her injury wasn't instant, she took a bit of swelling every now and then but put it down to working too hard, had a few days off it and back on. Then one day her knee locked up and wouldn't move at all. She can't straighten her knee at all. Which even makes walking difficult. :(

None of us are immortal, so its definitely worth giving it that bit of caution. I live in a world of caution, I wish I could brutalise myself like that, but my arthropathy sez noo :P

oh and just for reference, spin classes are most definitely not easy. Not like the American versions where you just cycle..

I tried a spin class once... I failed miserably, just couldn't keep up with what they were doing. =(

I feel so very out of shape, I get no exercise at all right now. I don't cycle to school as it's too cold/windy/rainy/dark. I tried some jogging a few days ago but my leg wouldn't have any of it. So I just sit around all the time while I slowly get more and more fat... I should invent a new sport, like chair spinning or something. Yes.

I tried a spin class once... I failed miserably, just couldn't keep up with what they were doing. =(

I feel so very out of shape, I get no exercise at all right now. I don't cycle to school as it's too cold/windy/rainy/dark. I tried some jogging a few days ago but my leg wouldn't have any of it. So I just sit around all the time while I slowly get more and more fat... I should invent a new sport, like chair spinning or something. Yes.

It's immensely difficult, you most definitely aren't the only one. I've spoken to many people who have left before the class ends. So I wouldn't feel too disheartened.

Chair spinning sounds awesome, I could work with that.... Hmmmm.

Is your leg healing up okay these days? :smile:

It's immensely difficult, you most definitely aren't the only one. I've spoken to many people who have left before the class ends. So I wouldn't feel too disheartened.

Chair spinning sounds awesome, I could work with that.... Hmmmm.

Is your leg healing up okay these days? :smile:

I got to try it out back then as my mum and aunt followed the class. They had no trouble following but I just couldn't manage. Then again I have no stamina as I never exercise, so that doesn't help. =P

Chair spinning would be amazing!

I think it's healing okay, but apparently running won't be for anytime soon heh. I can play/run with the dog a bit, but actual jogging still hurts. I'll have new x-rays taken in March so I'll find out then how it's healing. =)

It's still 7 days of continuous exercise, mind. Even football can take a lot out of you. I think maybe cutting that cardio day on the Sunday wouldn't be such a bad idea? Since you're getting some great exercise through football anyway twice a week.

Well it will probably be more like 11 days by the time I come to have my rest day next Wednesday but I take your point - even to me that sounds a lot.

Still, you don't get to look like Captain Falcon without paying your dues - not that I want to be that size, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Yeah so for anyone who does running or cycling, I stumbled across something called audio fuel. I downloaded a free sample. Will see how it goes, but maybe some of the rest of you might want to test it out. http://www.audiofuel.co.uk

Well I've listened to that sample on the first page and then the 16min one and I have to say, I like it.

I don't know how well the sample would really work as a training tool to get you started as it keeps changing tempos with pieces and then the voice over kicks in too.

Still, please report back with your findings Ten10.

I remember when I cycled a lot, I listened to my iPod. Certain songs definately helped, although any music was good for me as it distracted me from how tired I was.

For the record, I only had the left earphone in so I could hear the traffic on my right. I only slightly endandered myself.

Well I've listened to that sample on the first page and then the 16min one and I have to say, I like it.

Still, please report back with your findings Ten10.

Well I went out with it last night in the rain since I really wanted to test it out. Have to admit I did a lot more running than I usually do and for a longer period of time, but that could be a psychological result also.

I only stop twice. Once was to clear the phlegm out of my lungs and second was to let a car pass. I've got tracks like the F-zero sound track, Super Euro beat and clubland on my MP3 player, but I think in terms of running audio fuel might do it for me. Just down to the constant rhythm through out, it help better to moderate the pace.

I'm gonna take the fall and buy the 40 min coaching version of it so I'll have a follow up review soon.

I don't know how well the sample would really work as a training tool to get you started as it keeps changing tempos with pieces and then the voice over kicks in too.

You can also get compilations that don't have the voice over. And also buy stand alone tracks. But will come back with a review on how I did with the coaching version.

So, have ye all been exercising?

I'm doing a bit of Christmas Journeying tomorrow for five days, and then a few days later I'm off to Belgiumland. I went to the gym yesterday, and the next time I can probably go again is on Christmas Eve.

My arms and back are knackered, heh. I love the feeling of "shit, I worked hard yesterday and now I want to sleep" the day after, haha.

Been at the gym going on three months, three times a week along with an hours cycling a day and it shows (obviously cutting out sweets and chocolate helped). I'm not going to stop over Xmas, I don't want to lose momentum.

Been at the gym going on three months, three times a week along with an hours cycling a day and it shows (obviously cutting out sweets and chocolate helped). I'm not going to stop over Xmas, I don't want to lose momentum.

Losing momentum is rubbish. I think the pattern with me is 6 weeks worth of gym, then a week off where I go to see Ine, then it takes me another week to get back into it when I return. Because of term-dates with school and stuff, it means we roughly see each other every 6 weeks. So, it feels a little bit stop start.

I do notice a difference with the way that I look. Particularly with my back and chest. I'm lifting/pulling bigger, so it's all going in the right direction. I saw some friends the other week and they noticed I looked a lot bigger, and one of them called me a beef-cake. I hope I'm not one of them. :(

im loosing my momentum at the moment was te xmas do last nite. I still feel rough tonight. And next tues i go home for two weeks and i dont have a gym membership back home. Gutted really as i have loads of spare time when im leave. Will just be doing CV for the next 2 weeks. Well will probably go to the gym this weekend.

I was losing motivation a couple weeks ago but just pushed on through. I know if I stop there's a chance I'll just think 'F*ck it!' and stop. I'm going to try and avoid taking any breaks or the first six months.

I was gonna join last moth but I've decided to join in the turn of the year, weight will be mostly off by then so I can get serious about toning for the spring.

Just came back from some serious gym. Getting there and coming back was probably the hardest thing to be honest. It's a nightmare out there. Goddamn frozen rain.

Must force myself to go on Wednesday.

I don't go out jogging so much these days. It's a lot hard to stay up yet alone keep moving. But I've been trying to keep the exercise up. Went on Wii fit for the first time in months to be told I've lost 9lbs but I'll probably put that back on doing nothing over Christmas.

One thing I won't be doing is slacking off over Christmas.

Got a bit of a cold at the moment so I didn't go Sunday or Monday as I needed the rest but I went tonight, will be going tomorrow and then it's back in on boxing day, the Sunday and Monday.

Weighed myself today and I've put on 1.1kg since my last weigh in. I've put on about 3.5kg since I started going the gym and even though it's not been a month yet, there are some definite improvements to my physique and I am getting stronger.

And as proof of me not slacking over Christmas, I went on boxing day and today.

Used the step machine yesterday for the first time... and probably the last too. That thing is evil. After just a minute my thighs were on fire and my calves weren't far off either.

At first I had the resistance to high and they were hardly moving but then I increased the level so they dropped like a stone. It was far more physically demanding but it felt so unnatural when they weren't.

Then it was a turn on the rowing machine and the most uncomfortable seat in the world. Quite fun to do but that seat is not good for my rear end. Maybe that one again next week.

Nice one.

My stupid gym is closed for the next week but I've got my dumbbells to keep me occupied. Used them for an hour yesterday. Amazed I can cane myself quite so much at home. Did a little today. I think I'll be alternating intense and chilled days while they gym is closed.

Annoying but it'll do.

Gym's finally reopened after the chrimbo hiatus. My titties and legs are shrinking unfortunately, been doing a mixture of weights rotations and the occasional cardiac exercise for a couple years now.

I would post sexy pictures, but that would be showing off :heh:. Anyone else around here on a weight training regime? If so, you should try out myprotein.co.uk. Been getting the true whey shit from there for a while now, pretty good for weight gain. Am now 5'11" and 12.3 (ish) Stone, looking to get to 13. Body fat is around 11% though, trying to get that down to around 6%, which is kinda hard if you enjoy the occasional kebab.

Nice one.

My stupid gym is closed for the next week but I've got my dumbbells to keep me occupied. Used them for an hour yesterday. Amazed I can cane myself quite so much at home. Did a little today. I think I'll be alternating intense and chilled days while they gym is closed.

Annoying but it'll do.

I bought some free weights a few years ago and I just to use them twice a week. I was never going crazy but it was just something to give me a little extra strength. But I found the practice quite difficult to keep up. Not having a bench didn't help either as it was limiting my exercises and consequently my motivation. It being a solitary experience didn't help me either.

And so I gave up.

But I'm since I'm not going the gym on my own, I always have some company - though there have been occasions when I've been on my own. Still, at least I still have them as a bit of a back up should I be completely unable to attend for whatever reason.

Used the step machine yesterday for the first time... and probably the last too. That thing is evil. After just a minute my thighs were on fire and my calves weren't far off either.

oooh hardcore. When my mum was at her best (pre-injury) she could do nearly 10 minutes. I think the staff at the gym were actually amazed at her capabilities. Takes MEGA fitness, and uber strong legs!! I tried and pretty much failed :grin:

Things like that are very hard on the knees, so take it easy =)