Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

=Music Wars 2= Match 1

Paj!

=Music Wars 2= Begins!

Welcome back!

As detailed in the sign-up/nomination thread, this game is very similar to the last, but a bit more neat and tidy, organisation wise. Rules can be found here, I know most people will know what the deal is here.

So, without further cafuffle...

Match 1

Hurt -

Nine Inch Nails

NIN.jpg

We7

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division

JOY.jpg

We7

Spotify - spotify:track:43D8jnahatEXmn94o8MqAO

---

Round 1

Match 1: Nine Inch Nails vs. Joy Division

---

Get listening, then vote!

Whoa, that's a pretty good battle!

Although, it has to be Joy Division. One of my entries, and I love that song. :) I do also like Hurt, but I much, much prefer Johnny Cash's version of it. Once I heard his version, it was a little bit harder to hear the original again. Good song, but it's one of those instances where I think the cover betters it.

I go through phases every now and again where I just listen to Joy Divison over and over, for days on end. Great band, although I was a little unsure over whether to go for this song or Transmission. Both are amazing, but I think this has a slight edge to it. Great band, great song. :)

I tried to choose a good one to be the first match, this is definitely one of the most interesting, being two "classic"/loved tracks and bands.

As much as I like Nine Inch Nails, I liked them most on their first album, where they used the drum machines and sounds of the 80's in a macabre and cool way. The rest I can give or take. I prefer many other covers of Hurt as well, compared to the original. Johnny Cash obv., and I particularly love Tori Amos's interpretation, shoving it within her song Caught A Lite Sneeze (which also references NIN, but loads of her songs do, she and Trent were sexxors). ANYWAY

Joy Division

More appealing and...works better, imo. But both are commendable.

Joy Division by far.

Much more fun to listen and goes up a notch for being an original song made them unlike the other song.

Nine Inch Nails Hurt just made me tempted to click on the Johnny Cash cover version in the related videos tap and listen to that.

Joy Division I really like NiN but I dont care for Hurt, Johnny Cash made that song his own imo. Joy Division on the other hand I fucking love, easily in my top 20 bands of all time. The Joy Division "Sound" is awesome particularly the bass and Ian Curtis's voice works so well with their songs.

NIN- I feel slightly edges out Joy Division, even though it is a classic. I just love hearing hurt especially after hearing it live at Reading Festival.

I'd forgotten what that Joy Division song was, but the way NIN really seems to show emotion and shows respect to the legend that is Johnny Cash.

Joy Division I really like NiN but I dont care for Hurt, Johnny Cash made that song his own imo. Joy Division on the other hand I fucking love, easily in my top 20 bands of all time. The Joy Division "Sound" is awesome particularly the bass and Ian Curtis's voice works so well with their songs.

One of my best friends met Peter Hook in Brighton, randomly the one day. When she told me, I was so jealous.

Definitely agree with you about their sound. You can spot it a mile off, it's their signature. :)

Has to be Joy Division. I'm not the biggest fan of NIN but I am a fan of 'Hurt' and Johnny Cash as a whole and while it could have been worse than it was, it really wasn't great. Some completely unnecessary parts to it, the ending for example didn't need to be done as such because, even though it is the outro, it wrecks the flow of the song. And changing a line of lyrics to make it more in line with your style is just bloody wrong. Either sing it as it is or piss off. Don't change a classic. If it had simply been the Johnny Cash version, then it would have won hands down but this, I feel, really shouldn't have been nominated.

And speaking of classics, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' is one and it's great which is why it gets my vote.

Has to be Joy Division. I'm not the biggest fan of NIN but I am a fan of 'Hurt' and Johnny Cash as a whole and while it could have been worse than it was, it really wasn't great. Some completely unnecessary parts to it, the ending for example didn't need to be done as such because, even though it is the outro, it wrecks the flow of the song. And changing a line of lyrics to make it more in line with your style is just bloody wrong. Either sing it as it is or piss off. Don't change a classic. If it had simply been the Johnny Cash version, then it would have won hands down but this, I feel, really shouldn't have been nominated. .

"Hurt" is a song written by Trent Reznor, first released on Nine Inch Nails' 1994 album The Downward Spiral. In 2002, "Hurt" was covered by Johnny Cash to critical acclaim

I thought people knew that he covered it.

(Also, I'm all for changing lyrics in cover versions. As long as people know they're covers of someone else, not your own song. ;) )

I thought people knew that he covered it.

This is why I feel many are maybe voting for the wrong reasons, NIN originally wrote the song so people saying that it isn't 'faithful' to the 'original' and using that as their justification is wrong because it is the original... [/Rant]

Bah! nvm... it's evidently going to lose out to Joy Division anyway sadly because people are clearly more 'familiar' with that... :rolleyes: I'm not saying JD are bad, both are good tracks, I just guess it's a case of the more obscure vs the better known.

I prefer Hurt anyway and I don't care if I'm in the minority. :heh:

Must be Joy Division for me. It's a classic and it's just great heh.

The NIN song really annoyed me, as I felt like there wasn't really anything happening in it, and his whisper-singing got on my nerves as well. Heavily prefer Cash's version of the song (and yes I knew Cash covered it, whoo!). =P

I knew I should have gone with Head Like A Hole instead but nooo that would have been too obvious... >.> I'm over it, I chose Hurt because it's an excellent song if you're a fan of NIN's style, but obv if you aren't then it's not gonna stand a chance.

People like what they like and I wouldn't want to change that for the world :) it would have been nice to see the song go further even though I never would expect it to win but nevermind.

It's not the first time that I've heard somebody get confused over who created "Hurt" first. To be honest, if anything, I think it's just a testament to how good a job Johnny Cash did with his version. The NIN version is good, but I think Cash's version is just in a whole different league. He was a God.

I knew I should have gone with Head Like A Hole instead but nooo that would have been too obvious... >.> I'm over it, I chose Hurt because it's an excellent song if you're a fan of NIN's style, but obv if you aren't then it's not gonna stand a chance.

People like what they like and I wouldn't want to change that for the world :) it would have been nice to see the song go further even though I never would expect it to win but nevermind.

I can see why you chose it, as it's a good song. I would've probably gone for Closer, as I prefer that. Like Joy Division, NIN has its own style. Industrial..type...sounding...thing. Its great, even if I can't define it.

To be honest, I bum Head Like A Hole every time it comes on. I would've bummed it if it was chosen.

But I really am indifferent to Hurt. Soz Esscee'G. And Ganepark, I wasn't suggesting you should change your vote, just pointing out in case people didn't realise. :)

I can see why you chose it, as it's a good song. I would've probably gone for Closer, as I prefer that. Like Joy Division, NIN has its own style. Industrial..type...sounding...thing. Its great, even if I can't define it.

Closer was always a possibility but I wouldn't have actually chosen that because it would have been offputting to some due to its lyrics I'd imagine... :heh: but I suppose you could say that about a lot of NIN's heavier tracks, Hurt may be 'quiet' but it's understated and brilliant in it's own special way.

I also prefer it to Cash's cover, because legendary as it is, the original still prevails.

To be fair I only recently found out that NIN did the original. As everyone has said, the Cash version is very much in a league of it's own, phenomenal, and in my opinion one of the top 10 tracks I've ever heard.

But yeah, anyway, great opening round! Im going for NIN partly to even things out abit, partly because I still think it's great

To be honest, I bum Head Like A Hole every time it comes on. I would've bummed it if it was chosen.

But it would have been too easy a choice, so I went for the 'underdog' I suppose, anyway... I never expected it to win, just figured it would be an interesting choice.