N-Europe

Thinking of buying an iPod Touch..

Dyson

Hey gang.

I've been tempted to buy an iPod Touch for a while now, to replace the 8GB iPod Nano I have that is just too small space-wise for me now. I have a few questions before I proceed, however..

I was wondering what the major differences are between the new and old iPod Touches? As in, the recently released ones and the ones from before. If it's just a firmware upgrade I'll pay for an upgrade through the app store or something. But if the actual device is majorly different, it's a different story.

Also, I'd be tempted to buy one from HMV, but does anyone know of any good deals around on the internet? Finally, what's the deal with refurb units? Are they alright to pick up, or should I get a brand spanking new one? If I could save a bit of cash that'd be great.

Cheers for the help guys : peace:

The recently 'updated' 8GB model is identical to last year's model.

The 16 and 32GB models have had a processor and therefore speed update bringing them in line with the 3GS.

That, and the price cuts, are the only differences. Oh and obviously the 3.1 software comes as standard.

________

GM LT1 ENGINE HISTORY

Edited by Ronnie

The recently 'updated' 8GB model is identical to last year's model.

The 16 and 32GB models have had a processor and therefore speed update bringing them in line with the 3GS.

That, and the price cuts, are the only differences. Oh and obviously the 3.1 software comes as standard.

Yes - also don't be tempted by a generation 1 ipod touch like mine.

You lose out on bluetooth connectivity and the potential for headphones with controls and a Mic.

I wouldn't get an old iPod touch either, the newer models are much faster and many games and apps are being built to take advantage of this hardware. Since the touch is basically being marketed as a gaming machine, you want one that can play the games without slowdown.

Be warned, you might get an iPod touch and then, like me, realise it's just an iPhone that can't make calls or access the internet outside your house.

Be warned, you might get an iPod touch and then, like me, realise it's just an iPhone that can't make calls or access the internet outside your house.

You'd be amazed how many free wifi spots are around nowadays. I often tweet while shopping and I don't pay £35/month to do so :heh:

Also, with the 1st gen of iPod Touches there was no external speaker so avoid.

I wouldn't get an old iPod touch either, the newer models are much faster and many games and apps are being built to take advantage of this hardware. Since the touch is basically being marketed as a gaming machine, you want one that can play the games without slowdown.

Yeah thats whats put me off getting a touch...I'm in much the same place as Dyson my 8GB Nano isn't big enough now. I need a new phone though as well because mine broke so I'm using a crappy old nokia...holding out till my contract expires in Jan...have weighed up either cancelling my contract or paying 2 at once but thats just mental...

I'd love to have picked up an iPhone but the contract is quite a commitment. And my current £15 p/m contract doesnt end until January 2011 or something :heh:

I was never gonna get a 1st gen touch, it was either gonna be a new one or a 2nd gen, but after looking in to it I think I'm gonna pick up a brand new 32GB, either tomorrow or Thursday, assuming I get paid tonight :heh:

Yeah thats whats put me off getting a touch...I'm in much the same place as Dyson my 8GB Nano isn't big enough now. I need a new phone though as well because mine broke so I'm using a crappy old nokia...holding out till my contract expires in Jan...have weighed up either cancelling my contract or paying 2 at once but thats just mental...

January will be a good time to get an iPhone now that O2 can't charge whatever they like. I'll be expecting a few more texts for the price if they want me to stay with them.

Dyson, if you're getting an iPhone for all the games and apps etc along with the odd bit of music then go for it but, if you're getting it mainly for music then I honestly think you'd be better off getting one of these beasts...

8821116x.jpg

I bought one recently and the sound quality is amazing, far beyond anything I've ever heard on an iPod, it comes with a reasonably decent pair of noise-cancelling headphones too plus it has wifi, just none of the apps that the iPhone has obv... but if you mainly want it for music then the Sony MP4 player is well worth it. :)

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/291/375/-/8821116/Sony-Walkman-X-Series-NWZ-X1060-32GB-OLED-MP3-Player/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

I've always thought this: surely the sound quality of a music player is down to the quality of the music file encoding and the headphones, rather than the player?

To a degree yes, but there are four different Sony music technologies crammed into the player I recommended and they really do make the difference, but yes, the true quality only really shines through with a decent pair of heaphones.

January will be a good time to get an iPhone now that O2 can't charge whatever they like. I'll be expecting a few more texts for the price if they want me to stay with them.

why? is that when their exclusivity will finally end? The texts is a big thing...I don't mind about the calls at all...

Both Orange and Vodafone are getting it over the next couple of months.

Which is excellent. I want to stay with O2 but I'd like to bribe them into giving me more texts, even if it mean sacrificing some minutes which I never use. I also wouldn't mind it a tad cheaper :P

Thanks for the tip there. Looks like quite a cool app. Only trouble is, firstly it keeps crashing on my girlfriends iPhone and wont receive anything, and secondly, she doesn't have data so we can't use it when she's not on wifi. Still a good app though when it works.

So...what makes Ping different/better to emails, Twitter, Facebook apps, MSN/WLM, Google Talk and the many other services with offline chat that are available for iPhone/iPod Touch, most other phones in the last 6 year and most other WiFi devices?

I use Byline to download new items from my RSS feeds and then read them when I go offline/out of the house. It syncs with Google Reader. It costs a couple of quid.

Wifi Trak is good for finding free/open wifi. It costs a quid or something too.

Edited by Mr_Odwin