Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

MUSIC WARZ! The Live Final

Paj!

I've never been particularly fond of Everlong, I don't know why everyone clambers to it as the best Foo song. But likewise, that Cornflake Girl song does nothing for me either so I'm only commenting on that. And a "heh" to Odwin's comment.

How about a suggestion, for the next round Tori Amos, Bjork, Foos and Muse (or two other popular rock bands but to me they seem most sensible) are vetoed to stop this conversation frequently happening.

I think the next Warz is going to be an 80s one, so none of those artists will be in it anyway.

Paj, is this so? Be Mr Confirmation.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As were the majority of us.

I was the New Hope, the shining light as we broached the end. Much like Labour ten years later in 1997, they made us forget about the troubles of the early 90's and made us believe again.

We both fucked it up.

Anywho, mindless nonsense aside, I think whenever the next 'no restrictions' round is...there should be some restrictions. I'm sure we're all sick of discussions and arguments about Muse, Foos, Bjork, Tori Amos and the like and whenever they're included in things like this it just ends up a case of the same not-conversation being had.

Songs of 2009 would be good for the next Music Warz.

Anywho, mindless nonsense aside, I think whenever the next 'no restrictions' round is...there should be some restrictions. I'm sure we're all sick of discussions and arguments about Muse, Foos, Bjork, Tori Amos and the like and whenever they're included in things like this it just ends up a case of the same not-conversation being had.

The rule is, IIRC, the same band/artist can't be nominated next game. So that puts out the Trion, Foos, Radiohead, Tegan and Sara, Sigur Ros etc etc.

Edited by chairdriver
Automerged Doublepost

I think you can have a favourite song without it having to be "The greatest rock song of all time" etc. It might not be but to certain people it could hold a special place in their heart or something, I don't know.

all I'm trying to say is that sometimes it is hard to justify Why? something is your favourite. My favourite singer is Miley Cyrus? why? she isn't the best pop artist? In fact far from it and I listen to much better music and recognise that fact...

and I give up as I fail at getting points across. :p meh, one day it is my dream to contruct well crafted sentences with actual meaning.

Anyway Tori Amos for this round. :) I like the song and love the album it comes from. :D

Ooh I like the idea of songs of 2009 as a Music Warz Chair! :grin:

Love this thread.

I will personally slice Odwin if he does edit posts though. I don't think he will. :) *is ready to fight if he does*

Voting Tori obvi. BUT

I've come to like Everlong. I never DISLIKED it, but it annnoyed me. The lack of much of anything going on is less annoying. So yeah. It's good. (mostly)

---

Whatever form the next Music Warz takes, no artists who have appered previously may be nominated in the same form. By that, I mean, Gwen Stefani could be nominated even if No Doubt had been last time blah blah. It would be obvious/ and i'd tell people during nominations. Interesting though, TONNES of big names out of the running for Music Warz 2...

To all you who said Everlong was their favourite song ever: Why?

I mean, there must be loads of better rock songs, with proper climaxes. There's nothing that actually sets it apart from any other song I've ever heard (apart from the guitar riff (would you call it a riff?), but I've still heard better). Still can't get over the vocals.

Seriously, what is this talk about it not having a climax?

If anything at all, this song is brilliant at building up and laying different sounds on top of each other. You've got the opening riff, then at around 13 seconds the second guitar and bass kicks in, before the drums then come in a few seconds later. That second riff comes in at around 24 seconds, and it just compliments everything so nicely. Having a song feature so many beautiful sounds within a few minutes, it's great. I don't know, maybe you need to be a guitar person to enjoy it? I know I enjoy the guitar, Villan also plays, as does Odwin. Maybe we can get more out of it than others do?

At 56 seconds, you have a little break where you just hear the music, and for some reason I always enjoy that part. I don't know about you, but this song always feels like it's moving to me. At 1:24, you can hear the hi-hat opening slowly and the sounds gradually get louder, then a few seconds later it just kicks into the chorus. The crescendo before "And I wonderrrrr..." Again, I don't know what you hear, but it's an uplifting moment for me. "If anything could ever be this real forever."

Everyone mentions the guitar, but Taylor Hawkins/Dave Grohl does an excellent job on the drums. I know Dave Grohl originally did the whole album himself, but he also re-recorded everyone once Taylor and Nate got on board. So, I don't actually know if the drums on the album are by Dave or Taylor, but Taylor performs it live and he gives the song so much energy. I also play the drums, and this is such an emotional piece to play. The pace to it is electric, and it always feels it is going somewhere. It's very busy. Those sixteenth notes on the hi-hat are just murder to play, but brilliant to listen to. I have no idea how The Grohl manages to get that sound out of them. :)

There are so many sounds in this. Like the hi-hat opening that I mentioned earlier. Next time you listen to this song, try to listen to just the drums. Magical. There are so many sounds going on in this, and it really gets on my nerves when people dismiss it, or say that they feel this isn't going anywhere. It does. What about the break at 3:13? Those inaudible whispers that you hear from Grohl, before it all comes back in. Me and forum member Rizz tried to work out what he was saying in that section. Part of it is from an instructional manual, part is from a letter, and we couldn't work out the rest.

Really, this is a beautiful song. To me, everything just blends together, but there is so much going on here it is unbelieveable. You mention that Tori plays the piano live during Cornflake Girl. Equally, Grohl plays this on guitar live, and also does a haunting acoustical version. Given the fact that The Grohl actually recorded the whole album and each instrument by himself, that deserves more than just a little recognition.

3:22 when everything comes back together: those drums! It gets me everytime. How can you listen to that and actually say that this song has no climax? I've called that "section" (from 3:22 to 3:37 and then to the end) the last hurrah. If this were a movie scene, it would be the part where Han Solo arrives to clear the way for Luke to fire the Photon/Proton Torpedoes in the Death Star Trench. When I finish listening to this song, I usually never listen to another song straight afterwards, but there is almost a sense of peace at the end of it.

Well, haha, that is my dissection of it. There are many more reasons why I love this song. There's a reason many people say that this is their favourite song, because there's such an emotional feeling that you get from it. Some songs seem more relevant when you're going through a crisis or something, but this song always has me feeling hairs on the back of my neck, or feeling more than a little uplifted (after the last hurrah). It's a rollercoaster, but it's one I love taking everytime.

The lack of much of anything going on is less annoying.

To someone who claims to be a lover of music, how can you honestly say that there is a lack of much going on? This is baffling. Honestly baffling.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk
Automerged Doublepost

To be honest, I'm making stuff up. I think it's the fact that the music is so lovely (no denying that), but the lyrics are really boring and neither here nor there to me. I actually don't mind the vocals (like chair seems to). They neither add nor take away from the song, but the lyrics are kinda disappointing, but only because they aren't balanced with the music quality. imo.

To someone who claims to be a lover of music, how can you honestly say that there is a lack of much going on? This is baffling. Honestly baffling.

To be fair I don't think listening to either song through youtube/dailymotion is going to them a lot of justice. It's a lot harder to hear the complexities of the songs due to the compression etc. For example you can't pick out the phenomenal left hand of the piano, or for Everlong the depth of sound the guitars have.

I think we should conduct the next one through spotify, or at least make it more spotify-centric.

To be fair I don't think listening to either song through youtube/dailymotion is going to them a lot of justice. It's a lot harder to hear the complexities of the songs due to the compression etc. For example you can't pick out the phenomenal left hand of the piano, or for Everlong the depth of sound the guitars have.

I think we should conduct the next one through spotify, or at least make it more spotify-centric.

Spotify is a great idea, but it requires effort from people who only ever posted in the matches Everlong* was in, and the like.

I dunno if people will DL Spotify to take part.

*just an example. But it happened.

Spotify is a great idea, but it requires effort from people who only ever posted in the matches Everlong* was in, and the like.

I dunno if people will DL Spotify to take part.

*just an example. But it happened.

Well even if they do only DL it for Music Warz, they'll be doing themselves a massive favour, it's an invaluable internet resource really.

To be honest, I'm making stuff up. I think it's the fact that the music is so lovely (no denying that), but the lyrics are really boring and neither here nor there to me. I actually don't mind the vocals (like chair seems to). They neither add nor take away from the song, but the lyrics are kinda disappointing, but only because they aren't balanced with the music quality. imo.

If you find the lyrics boring, then that's fine, because lyrics mean things to different people. It's all down to the individual.

But, imo, they are far, far from boring. You might look at them and think they look a little simplistic at first, but I think the more and more you think about them, the more perfect they seem.

"And I wonder

When I sing along with you

If everything could ever feel this real forever

If anything could ever be this good again

The only thing I'll ever ask of you

Got to promise not to stop when I say when

She sang"

That's the chorus. To me, this seems like being in a perfect moment with somebody else, where you do not want this moment to end. You want it to stay "Everlong." The "she sang" bit sounds quite strange at first, but it sounds like she keeps on singing, so that the moment does infact carry on. It sounds like the person writing this song is lost in the moment with this woman. "The only thing I'll ever ask of you Got to promise not to stop when I say when." Does this mean stop singing, or does this mean stop physically being with him, in these moments?

"Tonight

I've thrown myself into

And out of the red, out of her head, she sang"

What does this mean to you? To me, I believe that the person that wrote this song must have cared a lot for the person he was writing it about. When you "throw yourself into and out of the red" I guess it means how you would put everything on the line for this person, and would do everything you could for them. "She sang" - maybe the person is oblivious to just how much he cares for her, and so just continues to do the things that she does.

I love looking at lyrics, and they're great because they'll mean so many things to different people. Do I think these lyrics are boring? No way. There's so much that I get from it.

I agree, youtube or dailymotion isn't the best source for hearing songs, especially when there's quite a few things going on, like you say. Hmm, I don't use spotify, and have no idea how it works, but I'm sure if I ask Dan (Dare) he'll help me there, heh.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Ugh, probably shouldn't have said really boring, but they're still a sortof letdown. I like them enough. They're not bad. And I appreciated them more when I relistened to it recently, and I know what it's generally about/what it's trying to convey, but I still feel dissapointed. Not sure why. Again, I'm not as vehement about it as Chair...I just have bad wording/a problem about telling lies.

Ugh, probably shouldn't have said really boring, but they're still a sortof letdown. I like them enough. They're not bad. And I appreciated them more when I relistened to it recently, and I know what it's generally about/what it's trying to convey, but I still feel dissapointed. Not sure why. Again, I'm not as vehement about it as Chair...I just have bad wording/a problem about telling lies.

If you don't like them, that's totally up to you. I can't stand Beyonce, for example, but millions love her. But, well, he started it by asking us why exactly we liked the song, so I thought "well, haha, I'm gonna let him have it!"

You never know, you might find the song has more relevance for you as time goes by. There's millions of songs out there that mean very little at first, but then one day they just click for you.

...and admittance is the first step, I'm glad you've taken it :p. In all seriousness there's nothing worse with being incredibly stubborn in one's views and not admitting fault in how it was conveyed.

When can we expect some news on the next War? And more to the point, when does the final close. *is still amazed at current outcome*

Also I want some sort of crown, or it go to whomsoever gave us Everlong. :grin:

Once enough time has paseed, the thread will close. [/really uninformative]

News on the second one so far; I've compiled an alphabetical list of all bands/artists that are exempt from nominations. :p Took ages tbf. And hurt my pinky.

Have to decide if it'll just be a snazzier/stricter version of this (stricter in that you'll need Spotify, and you are obliged to take part, not doing so too many times without explanation means you can't vote in the future matches etc), or have a theme, like 80's, or 80's. It might just be a themed stricter one, come to think of it. :p

haha, I've just realised, despite loving the song and hearing it countless times, I hadn't actually seen the video to Everlong... ever! until now... just seen it and it's awesome. :D

yeah yeah I know... 'welcome to 1995' etc... w/e :indeed: if anyone else hasn't seen it before then give it a watch if you feel like it. :)

We7 is more widely accessible than spotify (think spotify might even be invite only at the moment), has great streaming quality and has a good sized catalogue.

This.

Not every song is on Spotify; in that case we would have used another medium. Might use We7 as the main one, and if people can't get to that, change it as appropriate.

Spotify tends to be the main resource though. I really wouldn't want to install another piece of software. The great thing about the YT format is how easy it is to take part. I think you'd see a drop in numbers (that are already sort of small) taking part.

And an 80s one? bleh..

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!