NEurope
Happenstance

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

That's better than the £40 the recent shit has been.

BAM perfect answer.

Some more footage would be nice. I can't see them changing the 'floaty' jumping style. I think the Advance games were similar.

this game looks hamstringed by the decision to develop on wii. Balls out HD would have been much better.

I don't understand what you think developing the game in HD would add.

Surely you want the game to retain as much of the original look as possible?...

Even if they'd followed Capcom example with Megaman and used sprites straight from the Megadrive games?

Personally I already think the style they've gone for looks a bit strange.

What would the added HD power be able to offer the game?

Have you played Shadow Complex or SFIV? Awesome things can be done with HD design on a 2D plain...

I haven't played either, but of course I'm completely aware of SFIV's style and what they achieved...

But 2.5D rarely looks good IMO (obviously with some exceptions) but I didn't think anyone wanted something like that for Sonic 4.

I thought it was all about the oldskool 2D.

Granted I don't really care what they do graphically (although I don't think it looks very good) as long as it feels right. And that's the only thing worrying me. I don't understand why, if it's a continuation of the first few games, they don't just recreate that control style exactly. Why change the jump when it worked perfectly well before?

And who needs a homing attack in a 2D Sonic game? Surely the homing attack was something that the SA team came up with because the game was 3D.

I guess the homing attack is away of keeping the speed and forward momentum going a little more?

I guess the homing attack is away of keeping the speed and forward momentum going a little more?

granted that might be reason but does it really need it? the original megadrive trilogy didn't so why should this. I think its more a lazy game design mechanic...makes jumping up ledges easier if you can lock on to an enemy is perched on the end of it plus whats the betting that we see a empty space with enemies filling the gap that you have to jump across.

Sometimes I can't tell if the endless negativity towards the Wii is willfully blinkered or just tongue-in-cheek. It hardly needs to be stated that the Wii has some beautiful 2d games - Muramasa, Boy and his Blob, Lostwinds: Winter of the Melodias spring immediately to mind. Extra res (or the lack of it) should have no bearing on the art/animation/design.

I'm hoping this'll be one of those games that looks better being played, rather than in screens and vids.

But the wii can't do anything like this.

bb_top_us_jd.jpg

It's just not up to scratch.

^I will say that fighters always have the ability to look much better than sidescrollers with huge levels, because the environments are comparitively very small and the characters aren't moving very fast through them.

Played the Sonic series again on the Mega Collection on PS3, with enhanced graphics (so semi-HD-like).

Sonic 4 looks good, but there is a charm about 2D-graphics that just can't be replicated in 3D, no matter how HD'd is may be. Still, I'll reserve judgement about Sonic 4 until I actually played it.

But the wii can't do anything like this.

^I will say that fighters always have the ability to look much better than sidescrollers with huge levels, because the environments are comparitively very small and the characters aren't moving very fast through them.

e3-2009-shadow-complex-first-look-20090528044044407.jpg

Lol at the childishness of "Wii can't do this". It's like going back to the 16bit days. Sega should be proud.

[As though that kind of art style would be even vaguely appropriate for a return-to-roots retro sequel]

BUT, when in Rome :grin:

oboro102.jpg

wiiss71.jpg

I think the point of concern, before this devolves any further into into a nonsense debate about HD detail above all else, is the cut and paste quality seen in the screens - non-stylised clouds + shiny plastic foregound + rendered/celshaded sprites. In other words, this is an issue about the art style.

The only thing this game looks hamstrung by at the moment is Sega.

EDIT: Just found this

1z14f4l.jpg

To be fair to Sega, they have ticked quite a few of those boxes already.

Edited by Lens of Truth

I wasn't really saying it would be appropriate for Sonic, just responding to the idea that it looked good just because it was a fighter, and the same couldn't necessarily be said for a side-scroller :heh:

That check list is so true. But it's missing "classic jump physics".

That check list is so true. But it's missing "classic jump physics".

Good point. Strangely I think people assumed that was a given :(

I'm not too bothered by a 4:3 option - in a platformer like Sonic wouldn't this affect the level design? Also custom soundtracks are very unlikely.

I don't think the jumping looks bad at all really. I also think we should wait to play it before making any judgement on it. I understand everyone trying to convince themselves it won't be good though. It's certainly the best route to go after the disappointment of the past.

Lol at the childishness of "Wii can't do this". It's like going back to the 16bit days. Sega should be proud.

[As though that kind of art style would be even vaguely appropriate for a return-to-roots retro sequel]

BUT, when in Rome :grin:

oboro102.jpg

wiiss71.jpg

I think the point of concern, before this devolves any further into into a nonsense debate about HD detail above all else, is the cut and paste quality seen in the screens - non-stylised clouds + shiny plastic foregound + rendered/celshaded sprites. In other words, this is an issue about the art style.

The only thing this game looks hamstrung by at the moment is Sega.

EDIT: Just found this

1z14f4l.jpg

To be fair to Sega, they have ticked quite a few of those boxes already.

remake scrapped stages? Er why?

Have you ever played the sonic 2 beta rom which has the hidden palace zone it pictured there? Ya well even though you can only really get through act 1 the zone sucked. Besides sonic and knuckles remade hidden palace first so IT'S BEEN DONE.

You fight robotnick after every 2 stages... but whatever I'm sure he meant that. In fairness I think that's something sonic games have done ever since anyway. Some games like sonic rush and sonic cd have a whole 3rd act dedicated to a boss fight , which Is hardly bad either.

that " classic menu style" they pictured was brought up with a cheat in sonic 2.

The less underwater the better to be honest.

But forgetting this article some xbox achievments have popped up recently.

Clear SPLASH HILL ZONE, ACT 1.

Crush Dr. Eggman 5

Defeat a boss for the first time.

The First Chaos Emerald 5

Acquire a Chaos Emerald.

Enemy Hunter 10

Defeat 1,000 enemies.

Golden Flash 10

Clear all Acts as Super Sonic.

All Stages Cleared! 10

Defeat the final boss and view the ending.

Contender 10

Upload your recorded scores and clear times for all stages.

Ring Collector 15

Collect all the Rings in 'Special Stage 1' and Clear the stage.

Immortal 25

Build up 99 or more extra lives.

Super Sonic Genesis 30

Acquire all seven Chaos Emeralds.

Speed's My Game 35

Clear SPLASH HILL ZONE ACT 1 in less than a minute.

Untouchable 40

Clear the E.G.G. STATION ZONE without taking any damage.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-1/achievements/

gives a tad bit more information on the game. Super sonic confirmed but I suppose it was a given really

From Gonintendo:

Details from a Game Informer interview with Takashi Iizuka...

- If your a fan of Tails and Knuckles, you should be pleased with Episode 2

- Ep. 1 is a prologue

- spin dash, rolling attack, homing attack and a new move

- “I wanted the user to enjoy an easy-to-play feeling by the attack sequence that this [homing attack] allows, and find the fun routes in the air.”

- classic special stages

- Classic Sonic Gameplay, classic Sonic speed, no floaty gameplay, Says Izuka.

- Not 3-D, but all CG pre-render.

- Gamers will get classic “try again” ending if not successful when attempting to collect all the chaos emeralds. If you get all emeralds, you'll get the cliffhanger ending for episode 2.

- “If Sonic 4’s return to form is the Sonic experience you have been waiting 16 years for, then we strongly encourage you to try this.”

It sounds so great on paper, all the promises and details... it's just that one leaked video that's giving me a slight sinking feeling. Here's hoping lots of development goes into it by release time.