N-Europe

Is religion 'Evil'?

navarre

Back in the day before law and order I believe religion was needed to make people stay in line through fear of God. Thou shall not steal and all that shizzle.

These days it's just not needed, if you steal God isn't gonna do anything but the LAW will!!

Why someone would want to live their life by a book written thousands of years ago is beyond me but meh each to their own. But personally I believe your life is your own and that life is very short so enjoy it and do what you want to do.

Religion just causes too much hassle these days and there is no doubt it does breed a lot of evil people in the world, brainwashed people infact.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day before law and order I believe religion was needed to make people stay in line through fear of God. Thou shall not steal and all that shizzle.

These days it's just not needed, if you steal God isn't gonna do anything but the LAW will!!

Why someone would want to live their life by a book written thousands of years ago is beyond me but meh each to their own. But personally I believe your life is your own and that life is very short so enjoy it and do what you want to do.

Religion just causes too much hassle these days and there is no doubt it does breed a lot of evil people in the world, brainwashed people infact.

Jesus was against the merging of state law via religion just saying. Also the Romans had a pretty could system of law set out that installed fear via earthly punishments.

Jesus was against the merging of state law via religion just saying. Also the Romans had a pretty could system of law set out that installed fear via earthly punishments.

The same Jesus that could walk on water, heal blind people and was the son of god?

The only thing that's evil is us!

Its like a worker blaming their tools. Everything can be used for good, as well as bad.

/thread

This basically...

Yes there are such things like religious fanatics who blow up stuff 'in the name of whoever' but even if religion didn't exist, they would still most likely do it... they'd just find a different reason for it.

I don't like religion because I see no point to it personally, if you believe in something then fine but if not then that's fine too, it's just down to personal choice.

According to the Bible, God kills billions of innocent people and animals, tortures a man for his whole life (giving him diseases, killing his family) for a bet and lots of other things I can't remember. Religion also seems to have a common theme: Do what we want, or burn in hell/wherever (but try to get this across nicely by focusing more on the heaven/whatever).

As for fanatics, they'll exist for any purpose. The main thing behind those are individuals bending religion and beliefs to get people to do what they want.

Well, this is opening a can of worms. One way to look at it is Religion could be considered a tool for controlling the masses. It's not quite so effective anymore as we live in a more developed world but it does make perfect sense. How do you get a whole country to do as you wish - you tell 'em that a big ass deity will bite 'em in the ass. Hell, I don't know if it's true nor do I pretend to believe that I do but it's most certainly a possibility. Look at the Catholic Church and their influence. They've been the biggest bunch of cunts for centuries. It's funny how they're constantly having to change their doctrine/views/etc. in order to be more suitable for modern life - if it were truth then surely they wouldn't have to - it's a conspiracy I tell you.

I remember Arab_Freak made a few Pro-Religion posts in a past Religion Thread, and he was basically surrounded by the "There is no God, only Zuul!" squad, yet he still kept going and fought his corner. Being Religious or believing in a God or a being greater than Man doesn't necessarily mean that you are crazy or wrong.

Is Religion Evil? I do not think so. I remember in an R.E. lesson in the past where my teacher was talking about how people's perceptions of God were in the past. I can't remember the Philosopher's names or any names in particular, but she did say something that I remember quite well. She said that "when you look at a watch, you know that it is complex and that it has/had a maker. So, when you look at the world around you, then there must be a maker for this." These weren't her words, but she was quoting someone else. It was an excellent point, and it does symbolise what I feel about there being something out there.

There's something out there waiting for us...and it ain't no man.

The problem with Religion is that men or people manipulate it for their own benefits and purposes. As some people have mentioned in here already, these books were written over many years ago, hundreds and thousands of years ago. Along the way, they have gone through journeys, translations, passing from ear to ear. How can we be sure that every word written in the Bible or the Quran or the Torah are the words of God? We can't. We also can't disprove it. The problem is however that people of many different religions manipulate and have manipulated what is written in these books for their own purposes. To strike the fear of God into others as a form of control. Maybe other things. (in my opinion).

It's happening today, with suicide bombers and people believing that by killing others that they are doing God's will. They're listening/reading the words of a text rather than actually stopping and thinking for a second about whether or not what they are doing is morally right or wrong, or if it even complies with their religion. I mentioned this to someone recently.

When I was younger, my family brought me up in a way to try and be polite and kind to others, because that was how we thought Muslims should behave. There are many good sides to Religion, and these are very often overlooked. There are also many questions that I have had over the years that just haven't been answered yet. One is "why am I here?" and the other is (quite often asked by everyone) "If there is a God, why are there so many terrible things going on in the World. Even the natural disasters...why do these happen?" I haven't found an answer for that yet. However, in my heart, I try to believe that there is some good that can always come out of the bad. When I look back at some of the bad or terrible things that I have gone through in my own life, if I were to draw a map, they have still led me to many good things. This place being one of them.

Bugger, this post was a bit long, but I only said around half of what was in my head. There's a lot that I want to say, but I think it may be a bit too boring to read.

No they can't.

Guns are weapons designed to wound and/or ultimnately kill living things. They have no other purpose.

Some people need to be killed for the good of humanity. As for killing living things, isn't most life on this planet based around that?

Some people need to be killed for the good of humanity. As for killing living things, isn't most life on this planet based around that?

I said guns can only cause harm. I'm still right.

What the guns are used on and the consequences of doing so is different. Killing many people from country x may in the long run be "good" for some people in country z. But that good is debatable, as it's not universal good, and it's indirect.

I said guns can only cause harm. I'm still right.

Hardly, Guns are designed to cause harm, but I could easily get a gun and just have fun shooting inanimate targets out in the woods and derive pleasure from it.

To get really nitpicky, stores use 'Priceguns" to mark the price stickers onto products. Those aren't even meant to do with harm. :p

Also, in the army your gun is your penis and your weapon/gun is a rifle. ;)

I'll agree though that a guns most common use is causing harm as it was intended for, but that's not all they can cause.

I couid also use a musket as a cane and perform in a bloody cabaret, but that doesn't change the fact that what I'm holding is an item constructed to be used to kill people/animals.

And I think it's unfortunate/disturbing that America embraced guns. It's only cause harm. "WE HAVE A RIGHT TO PROTECT OUR HOME!" - It would be easier if criminals didn't have guns...

I couid also use a musket as a cane and perform in a bloody cabaret, but that doesn't change the fact that what I'm holding is an item constructed to be used to kill people/animals.
I never said it did, I just disagreed with you saying Gun can only cause harm. Fact, my local town has a cannon from the turn of the 19th century (not sure of the exact date) but it's never been fired, and now it's a historic monument in the center of town and will never be fired. That means it didn't cause harm.

And I think it's unfortunate/disturbing that America embraced guns. It's only cause harm. "WE HAVE A RIGHT TO PROTECT OUR HOME!" - It would be easier if criminals didn't have guns...

After the first sentence you quit being coherent.

"It's only cause harm" Guns only purpose is to cause harm, is that what you meant? See above.

"It would be easier if criminals didn't have guns..." What is 'it' exactly?

As to our right to bear arms, that was placed into the Bill of Rights, to grant citizens the right to defend themselves against the British during the war. While it's true that the Second Amendment doesn't have nearly as much reason behind today, American citizens are not quick on giving up freedoms they currently have. Most states it's illegal to have a concealed weapon knife or gun, some states need a permit to do so but it's legal. Problem with Crime is it's not immediately apparent to anyone whether or not a suspect is carrying a concealed weapon, and the police can't just stop everyone in town to check them for weapons.

Even if it became completely illegal for the public to own guns, criminals would still get them and use them. That leaves the public defenseless, of course you don't often hear about people holding robbers at gunpoint.

I know it's impossible for America to remove guns now.

I'm tired, and writing strangely. I was generally leaping onto the usual reply to "guns r bad", the "right to protect our home". I assume I mean to say 'it only causes harm".

Cannon's are still weapons of destruction. Albiet rubbish by today's standards. :p And never used. But a cannon that was never fired and becomes a monument doesn't change the fact that guns are killing machines and designed for nothing more.

Cannon's are still weapons of destruction. Albiet rubbish by today's standards. :p And never used. But a cannon that was never fired and becomes a monument doesn't change the fact that guns are killing machines and designed for nothing more.

I'm going to chalk this up to you being tired but...I haven't disputed what guns are or what they are designed for, just that you think they can only cause harm. A weapon that's never been fired hasn't caused direct harm, or a weapon only ever fired at non living targets.