NEurope
navarre

City or Country?

City or Country?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. City or Country?

• City
    • Country

With most people in the developed world living in urban areas, more of the countryside is being destroyed. Obviously, it's not a major issue as of yet, but it begs the question; which is better, the city or the country?

From my experience of living in both, I'd have to say the city is just that bit better. I like being in crowded areas, not in quiet ones, so the city is ideal. However, I love the countryside when it's near a town- for example, I lived in Northumberland for a few months, near a town called Alnwick. Even though it was serene surrondings, I could drive into the town (which took around 10 minutes) to get things or meet people.

Discuss.

it depends at what stage you are in your life. I am at that burned out stage, so am living on the beach.

as long as there is wifi broadband, it shouldnt matter

I've lived in the country all my life and can honestly say I'm fucking sick of it! I hate the fact that if I want to go out anywhere even half decent I have to drive or sort out lifts. If I want to go to a club then it takes sooooo much planning that it verges on the ridiculous.

But then I'm not sure I'd want to live in a HUGE city, my ideal would probably be a decent sized town, where I could walk to shops/a decent night out.

I've lived in the country all my life and can honestly say I'm fucking sick of it! I hate the fact that if I want to go out anywhere even half decent I have to drive or sort out lifts. If I want to go to a club then it takes sooooo much planning that it verges on the ridiculous.

But then I'm not sure I'd want to live in a HUGE city, my ideal would probably be a decent sized town, where I could walk to shops/a decent night out.

This.

It's even worse when you're a teenager and want to go out with your friends, but can't because you can't drive and there are no buses.

Arranging to go out with friends is a pain in the country. There's not really a lot to do where I used to live and aren't even any decent walks.

I much preferred Sheffield. Everything is closer (so you can simply walk everywhere), and the country isn't too far away.

I live in the country at the moment and I dont really hate it but I think I would prefer to live in a city. Especially with me not being able to drive, gets very annoying not being able to get places.

I'd take the countryside every time. A list of reasons:

I love driving. Driving on country roads is so much better than sitting in traffic in towns

Same goes for cycling

The wildlife

It's quiet

The views:

n687920340_4194054_394.jpg

n687920340_5856780_5549.jpg

n687920340_5856778_5055.jpg

Edited by Goafer

I've lived in both for equal amounts of time, with half my life being spent in Cambridge and half in North Yorkshire. I can safely say I cannot wait to move back to the City when it's time for Uni in a few months. I like having everything at my fingertips, rather than having to travel miles by bus to get there. Only good thing about it is there's loads of places to just go and relax during the summer.

Both are good. Both are different.

This.

I spent almost a month in Orkney this summer. While it's very nice when it's sunny, and some of the islands are really pure and lovely, I'm a city person, and I hate how slow everyone there was.

I'm laid-back, but it was ridiculous there.

However, by city person, I'm talking about Edinburgh. Cities like Glasgow and most of London are just horrible.

I'm in the country, but I am pretty near a small few small towns and a single city. They are all terrible places, the nearest worthwhile cities are 30 minute drives or longer. One is a college city so there is always something going on, the other one basically shuts down at 9 (just like the nearest city) but it at least as a good mall and interesting stores. The towns are pretty lolz, as in we make fun of the fact that at any given time there might be 1 cop in town. There is a station in town, with a whole 3 cops.

It isn't too bad of a place to go for a walk though.

I guess I sorta live in the countryside, though it doesn't feel like I'm too far away from things. I mean it's quiet where I live, with a nice view behind our house, which I absolutely love.

But the city is only a 12-15 minute bicycle ride away, plus there's a free bus going there once or twice per hour too.

I lived in a big city for a while and I absolutely hated it. Noise all the time, sirens multiple times per day (especially annoying when they pass right by your window all the time) and the part I lived in was just... not great, I didn't feel safe there.

So yeah, I prefer countryside, but I don't go out much (at all) so I guess that's why.

Both have their pluses, I've lived my life in 3 different types of places, fairly evenly split, teh countryside, a large town and now a big city. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

In the country we were one of the last to get broadband, there was nothing to do and I had to take a bus all the time when I was in my teens, if I wanted to go anywhere. I couldn't go out much at night because all my friends lived in the nearby big town and there was no way home for me at night. So nothing to do was the major setback. But living out in a village means quietness, it tends to be nicer, safer, obviously greener. It's really nice to go for a walk on a hot day, especially walking my dog around the fields with nobody about.

Here in Sheffield... it's great to have the city right there, anything big that you need is nearby, and so are friends and work (reasonably). But at the same time it's not as safe, the people far less friendly. At my previous flat it was very noisy at night living by a main road with yobs and meth-heads walking by at night shouting their faces off. And we even got the odd parade or marathon going past the window in the morning. But that was the bad part of living on a main road, the good part was the supermarket across the road, pub next door, dozens of take-out restaurants nearby. And right by a bus stop.

I'm not sure which I prefer... I'll have to try living in the countryside without being at my parents' house, and then get back to you on that.

I like the peace and quiet of the countryside, but I like being close to a city. So I would choose to live in a village in the countryside, but not too far from a city.

I grew up in the country-side. Really nice place to grow up.

But for the majority of my adult life I suspect I'll be in cities more which is better.

I've lived my entire life in a little village, where there's just a small shop. We did have a pub, but it closed down when I was around 14. As a child or young teen, there was nothing much to do here out of the house, apart from play in the school field, secretly build dens in the fields of farmers or cycle round the countryside or to neighbouring villages to swap Pokemon cards, which was fine and dandy to us back then. Once you've grown up some more, and want to do more 'adult' things, it's very frustarting when you don't drive, as you have to rely on a lift to a small town to get on a bus, and once you do drive, the decent things are far away ; you got to travel 20 miles for a night out, and 40 miles if you want a cinema trip, so yeah, living in the country sucks, mainly because it costs a lot in petrol for decent entertainment. It's nice to walk around the area when you want to relax, clear you head and be with nature though, something you can't do in the city I suppose.

I've spent some time in Liverpool and London and it obviously appeals more to someone like me - plenty of entertainment and activities to participate in, plenty of shops (it suprises me to see around 4 Newsagents on the same street in parts of London!), more intresting things to look at and people to observe, rather than the same old tree in a field, and the same people going past to the shop on a daily loop, all within walking distance. But I suppose if you're located somewhere where you have some good friends it shouldnt really bother you if you're in a City or no-man's land.

Yeah it's a real pain when you want to do something interesting. My girlfriend lives/d in a village that didn't have a single shop or even a bus service that went through it. And it was like... ages from anywhere. But it did have a pub! Hurrah!

Country is better to live in, City is just more convenient...

Yeah I think living in the countryside and commuting is best.

Give me the city any day. I haven't lived in the countryside and, although I think the views are gorgeous, the idea of all the fuss of organising getting to town and stuff like that sounds ridiculous. And besides, for some reason, I'm not a quiet person. I'm more of a people person, if you get me.

So it'd be the city for me.

But I've found you probably bump into and speak to more people while in the country.

I grew up in a small countryside town and I hated it. It was alright until I was about 11-12, I guess. Basically when I wanted some independence. There is nothing to do here, other then go to the park with all the other teenagers and drink or get stoned. If you want to go anywhere there is one bus in the morning and one bus in the evening. Forget trying to get back after 5pm without paying for a taxi. Despite spending the last 14 years of my life hating this place i'm currently back here although getting out as soon as ive cleared my mammoth debt off.

Having lived in a city for 4 years I 100% prefer it and cant wait to get back to the city. Actually only of my friends from school still lives around here, everybody else got out as soon as they could.

I live and work in London and love it. Whenever I go out into the "country" im shocked at how crap public transport/shops/things to do/everything else is.

I live in the countryside :D check out this kick ass photo i took a while ago.

morepictures002.jpg

This is the kind of place where you could run around naked in the fields and nobody would give a damn! gets kind of boring though >_>

I live in the countryside :D check out this kick ass photo i took a while ago.

This is the kind of place where you could run around naked in the fields and nobody would give a damn! gets kind of boring though >_>

Running around naked gets boring? Surely you jest?!