N-Europe

Unemployment, travelling and smoking thread. Apparently.

Dyson

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to sign on again, plus now I've been signing on for 6 months I'ma have to go in weekly for the next six weeks.

However, though, I found out there that a Threshers shop in my local village has a vacancy (plus one elsewhere), so I'll be trying to go for that. While looking at it I said "That's good, I live around there." then the woman said "You should think about applying in the other shop as you've agreed to travel 10 miles for jobs. Not just ones on your front doorstep." and I just replied. "I know, but this one just so HAPPENS to be on my front doorstep."

Yeah, fuck you, you fat, patronising bitch. Fuck you and your inability to write your name, your signature and the date in less than two minutes! You had to do that four times, hurry the fuck up next time!

• 4 weeks later...

pr0 bumpings. I just applied for a different job as a sexy barman, this time at a bowling alley. It's potentially less hours but is thankfully in the day. I hope they will offer me more as although I would love to work in the day, I don't really wanna cut my hours down by about 10.

I took today off to do job/application type stuff. I've just spent two hours doing online verbal and numerical reasoning practice tests and now the website isn't giving me the feedback to say how I did. So frustrating.

Oh and it seems my A in maths at GCSE is useless (I did already know that) as I can't remember how to convert a decimal into a fraction, and percentages to a ratio. I need to do some swotting.

My inability to drive heavily limits my options. But I search amazingly hard.

(lol my apologies, it wasn't a direct message to you but to the title and Dysons initial post)

Look, I got my most recent qualification late July, rested and then frantically searched for a new job from the begining of October... I've had like 5 interviews in this month alone and got my new job.

:)

My cv isn't even anything special and to top that off I've got a blatantly long-ass 'ethnic' name whom people with a certain agender are more likely to swiftly toss the cv in the bin.

But I perserved.

And when I say "frantically", I mean having the aim of searching for anything upto 50 jobs through the midnight. 12-5am 10 apps per hour, it's doable. Copy and paste cover notes etc.

So stop crying and being lazy! Or the immigrants really will take ya jerbs!

(lol my apologies, it wasn't a direct message to you but to the title and Dysons initial post)

Look, I got my most recent qualification late July, rested and then frantically searched for a new job from the begining of October... I've had like 5 interviews in this month alone and got my new job.

:)

My cv isn't even anything special and to top that off I've got a blatantly long-ass 'ethnic' name whom people with a certain agender are more likely to swiftly toss the cv in the bin.

But I perserved.

And when I say "frantically", I mean having the aim of searching for anything upto 50 jobs through the midnight. 12-5am 10 apps per hour, it's doable. Copy and paste cover notes etc.

So stop crying and being lazy! Or the immigrants really will take ya jerbs!

to be fair, its different in different areas, some people have limitations (like no car no licence, not able to do certain jobs) so there's no need to point the finger as if people aren't trying.

And some people come out of education with a degree (or sometimes even not) and have little experience... most companies won't touch you with a barge pole without experience.

Used to be that you could get in with an agency and get a crappy job to get experience (thats what I did) but now they are even looking for experience.

to be fair, its different in different areas, some people have limitations (like no car no licence, not able to do certain jobs) so there's no need to point the finger as if people aren't trying.

And some people come out of education with a degree (or sometimes even not) and have little experience... most companies won't touch you with a barge pole without experience.

Used to be that you could get in with an agency and get a crappy job to get experience (thats what I did) but now they are even looking for experience.

I understand, but those are just excuses. If you need experience, go and get it! The climate is hard for everyone and we all need to meet the harsher requirements to stay afloat.

People I know lounge about at their mothers house with internet all day in their right next to their beds... But will flipping spend all day on facebook and the like and only do one or two job searches! That's the sort of attitude I'm against. It's not that most of these people that get the daily advertised jobs have some perfect 110% beings, it's mostly because they have the will and drive to want to succeed. As long as employees see this some are willing to even to bypass the lacking qualifications and experience to accomodate.

Lets note pretend that there arent lazy fuckers playing games all day in their comfort zones living with mommy who are more than happy to give them a tenner at request.

Fucking immigrants indeed.

Forgive my iPhone err0rs

Experience is not the be all and end all, luck and opportunity is. Plus a few good edits on your CV. I know people who have been on the whole experience routine, complete with master degrees... But still have nothing!

Please, lets not try and deny that some people are just less-willed and more lazy than others in their approach to work.

Please, lets not try and deny that some people are just less-willed and more lazy than others in their approach to work.
Granted, but at the same time its not fair for you to jump on the other end of the scale and basically claim that anyone here can get a job if they want to and that they just aren't trying hard enough. A mate of mine has done dozens of manual jobs for the last 10 years, travelling to Scotland on a weekly basis to put roof tiles up, all sorts. He got made redundant from a welding job recently and has basically applied to dozens and dozens of positions doing all kinds of things over the last few weeks and got nowhere. He's extremely employable and certainly isn't lacking enthusiasm, but in case you hadn't noticed unemployment rates are sky high at the moment.

Yeah...I know its a harsh world out there, and I really do sympathise. I'm just trying to be what Jecht is to Tidus, and motivate. Jobs are out there.

(Just to add) The most disheartening phase of a job hunt is when you have had a brilliant interview, only to see the "thanks for your interest" email by the person who smiled with you and really bigged you up at said interview.

Edited by King_V

Experience is not the be all and end all, luck and opportunity is. Plus a few good edits on your CV. I know people who have been on the whole experience routine, complete with master degrees... But still have nothing!

Reading through your previous posts on this page, you bang on about getting experience (which is easier said than done). However, you then change your tune and say that luck and opportunity is "the be all and end all."

Correct me if I am wrong, but luck is not something that you can personally work at and improve in your own time.

So, let us look at your friends with master degrees, experience, but no luck. What could they be doing more than they are not already? You can't just train to be lucky.

Also, one thing I think is very important to point out is your location. From your profile, we can determine that you are from London. Now, you must know that the amount of opportunities available to you also depend on your present location. You think it's difficult seeking employment in London, you should maybe look at others who are in other locations with different circumstances. Try looking for a Primary School Teacher job in South Wales at the moment. There's no shortage of people who can do this job, but there is a shortage of space available, partly down to the economy at the moment, with schools not able to afford to take on too many staff.

I would say location is a very, very important factor when seeking work. When moving back to Newport for my first summer break at Uni, I searched high and low and found nothing. In my second Summer, I decided to stay in Brighton, and found no shortage of work. I actually managed to work in two places during that summer period. The difference is, with Newport comes one set of circumstances, and with Brighton came another. Newport is meant to be an important City in Wales, but for employment opportunities it is nothing but shocking. There isn't even a town centre anymore...

Another factor, like Raining said, is transport. I can drive, but lack a car at the moment. So, I'm using the train links to get about to places like Caerphily, which isn't easy at all. But, you persevere and do what you must. However, having a car is a huuuuge advantage for employment, particularly in my line of work.

Finally, I would like to just explain my circumstances: Trained for 4 years to be a School Teacher. None of this PGCE business where you do something else for 3 years, then do a one year teaching degree. I knew from the start I wanted to do it, so did a straight 4 year course. I spent each year taking part in placements, and I've had people working in schools say to me that I've got more experience of teaching in schools than others have, including newly qualified teachers. I know myself that I've got bags of experience, all of which have been documented on my CV and each application form that ask for it - and believe me, they ask for it. Ine's seen the forms, and they are hard work to just fill out.

So, I've got the qualifications, bags of experience, the desire to do it, and have filled out almost 10 times more applications than some of my friends and coursemates, who have got jobs. The difference is that many of these people decided to either stay in Brighton, or reside from an area such as the London area, Essex or Kent. I've got the exact same qualifications as them, and in some cases I've worked in more challenging schools. The difference is that where I am living at the moment, there are far, far less opportunities than there are in these other locations. What can anyone do about that? Moving simply isn't an option because that requires money. You can't move to a new location and look for this type of job, as the only reason I moved back in the first place was to be closer and have some support from parents.

It's all well and good shouting "experience", but I can just shout back "I've worked in Key Stages 1,2,3 and 4 teaching kids from the ages of 5 all the way up to 15/16." So, that is just one of the flaws in your post.

I would say location is a very, very important factor when seeking work. When moving back to Newport for my first summer break at Uni, I searched high and low and found nothing. In my second Summer, I decided to stay in Brighton, and found no shortage of work. I actually managed to work in two places during that summer period. The difference is, with Newport comes one set of circumstances, and with Brighton came another. Newport is meant to be an important City in Wales, but for employment opportunities it is nothing but shocking. There isn't even a town centre anymore...

Another factor, like Raining said, is transport. I can drive, but lack a car at the moment. So, I'm using the train links to get about to places like Caerphily, which isn't easy at all. But, you persevere and do what you must. However, having a car is a huuuuge advantage for employment, particularly in my line of work.

Agree with it all tbh. A car is a huge benefit in most jobs, you get looked at more favourably cause you can travel to courses, cover other bases, yada yada. Anything above baseline level really requires that you have a licence and car before you even get an interview.

Thought it was pretty typical a Londoner saying that (no offence) but you live in the biggest city in Britain. I live in a mere town in Northern Ireland (even our own city fades in comparison to our mainland counterparts). Ballymena, even in the height of the spike in jobs, had little going for it (with most jobs being entry level min. wage, and with temping agencies)

It is worlds apart from London. Like most places. We don't have an underground system that runs every 2 minutes.

Oh god, my whole life here in the Scottish SW is just a holding station now until I can work out a way to get to the choppa and make a break for London - along with the rest of my family. There's just nothing here and what little there is is scattered all over the place. I've oft' read articles decrying the way Scotland has been emptying like a burst septic tank and trickling it's greasy way down south, but I never fully understood why until now.

Oh god, my whole life here in the Scottish SW is just a holding station now until I can work out a way to get to the choppa and make a break for London - along with the rest of my family. There's just nothing here and what little there is is scattered all over the place. I've oft' read articles decrying the way Scotland has been emptying like a burst septic tank and trickling it's greasy way down south, but I never fully understood why until now.

Where are you in SW Scotland, Gaggle? I'm originally from Dumfries and still have a house down in Galloway.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!