N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

Hmm, I really don't know. It's really hard to picture him leaving Liverpool.

I know the British press can be a pain in the arse, but are the Italian media that much better? They're probably not as bad as the English or Spanish media, but I don't think he'll be in for an entirely easy ride. Not these days anyway.

A big part of me thinks that he'll ride the wave and come back from this. He loves the club and I think it'll take an awful lot to get him to leave that behind.

Well im hoping its rumours, but these are really around everywhere.

True about the italian media, Probably as bad as the english press tbh, I just hope when it all comes out it will all be over in a week, from what I gather his wife cheated on him first, the only problem Gerrard has is the girl might actually be 15!!!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well im hoping its rumours, but these are really around everywhere.

True about the italian media, Probably as bad as the english press tbh, I just hope when it all comes out it will all be over in a week, from what I gather his wife cheated on him first, the only problem Gerrard has is the girl might actually be 15!!!

Jesus, he's in a lot of trouble if that's true. It's not just an affair/sex outside of marriage, but it's actually him breaking the law. Very similar to the Ribery story.

Of course, all of this had to come out in a World Cup year! Capello must be wondering what he's doing managing these players.:hmm:

It's stuff like this which gives all footballers a bad reputation. It just makes them seem devoid of morals or responsibility. I know players like Paul Scholes and Darren Fletcher are thought to be a bit too "rough" on the field, but off the pitch I can't fault them at all. For Liverpool, I really respect players like Daniel Agger and Pepe Reina. They perform well off the pitch and you never have to worry about hearing about dodgy stuff going on in their personal life. Every team has its players like this, the model professional, and really it is just a small number who give the rest a bad rep.

Jesus, he's in a lot of trouble if that's true. It's not just an affair/sex outside of marriage, but it's actually him breaking the law. Very similar to the Ribery story.

Of course, all of this had to come out in a World Cup year! Capello must be wondering what he's doing managing these players.:hmm:

It's stuff like this which gives all footballers a bad reputation. It just makes them seem devoid of morals or responsibility. I know players like Paul Scholes and Darren Fletcher are thought to be a bit too "rough" on the field, but off the pitch I can't fault them at all. For Liverpool, I really respect players like Daniel Agger and Pepe Reina. They perform well off the pitch and you never have to worry about hearing about dodgy stuff going on in their personal life. Every team has its players like this, the model professional, and really it is just a small number who give the rest a bad rep.

I thought Gerrard was a model professional though, I'm 24 and gutted about this lol.

I'll be even more gutted if Torres fucks off to Man City though!!!!!!

I thought Gerrard was a model professional though, I'm 24 and gutted about this lol.

I'll be even more gutted if Torres fucks off to Man City though!!!!!!

Haha, I always said to people that I thought Gerrard had an ugly side, and was secretly a bit "dirty" and I got laughed at. They weren't laughing when that story broke about him hitting that DJ.

Haha, I think hell will froze over before that happens. Liverpool would have to be incredibly foolish to sell him to a top four rival. Unless they have some kind of amazing plan that this is part off...

Gerard's never been a model professional, not with his Liverpool gang affiliations, diving in Champions League finals, beating up dj's because he wanted to pick the songs. Just to name a few things.

I hope he buggers off to Inter or gets locked up.

I'm a Liverpool fan (as you know :heh:) and there has always been something about Gerrard that hasn't sat quite right with me :hmm:

With all the important goals he has scored and the amount of times he has grabbed games by the scruff of the neck, you have to respect his contributions, but he has never been anywhere near squeaky clean on or off the pitch :eek:

He has obviously been seen as the key figure in Liverpool's team for years now, but I get the impression sometimes that he feels he is the team :sad: It is clear that we need new additions to the squad, but am I the only one who finds it disrespectful to the rest of the team when players declare that there needs to be better players brought in?

I think it is harmful to Liverpool to be seen as unable to perform without Gerrard and Torres. What would Ngog have thought of Gerrard's reaction when Torres was taken off against Birmingham? We know Torres is a better player, but surely you have to show respect for the player coming on in his place. Gerrard needs to look at his own performances this season instead of thinking he is head and shoulders above the rest of the team.

Lucas has really grown on me this season. He is constantly, and often unfairly, criticised and yet he gets on with things and I honestly see potential in him to be a good player for Liverpool. He needs to be given a chance in a more attacking role as I feel that is where his strength is. He played a great ball over the top to give Gerrard a chance against Atletico Madrid on Thursday night, but there wasn't even a mention of his name in the commentary of that move and no real criticism of Gerrard for not doing better with the shot. If Gerrard had played the pass and Lucas had wasted the opportunity, you can be sure Gerrard's vision and skill would have been applauded and Lucas would have got destroyed.. and that's just not fair.

Edited by nekunando

So we dominate Man City but couldn't create a decent chance.. In saying that for a 0-0 draw it was quite enjoyable. Got to vent some frustrations and welcome back two lads who done well for the club.

Sol was immense again, Wenger needs to give him another year.

Burnley thrash Liverpool and keep their survival hopes alive

Picture2.png

At least that's what BBC news are saying.

EDIT. They corrected it now, but I thought the headline of Burnley 4-0 Liverpool with Steven Gerrard cheering about it was quite funny!

Edited by Dog-amoto

Haha, that's great. Although, I wish they had been hammered 4-0 for real.

I thought the game was good yesterday. Really tense at times. I was pleased to see Giggs playing high up the field, giving Berbatov some help at the top, and it really seemed to help him.

On another note, I was really saddened to see Evra and Nani throwing their guts up on the pitch. Along with Valencia who went off injured, I really thought Tottenham were going to mug us for pace. Seeing Aaron Lennon come on and then Evra going off to be replaced by O'shea...I winced a little. Especially when Spurs got the equaliser, I was nervous as hell. Then, Nani gets his head down and produces something special. He has improved so much this season, he now tracks back to help the team out, he can produce a vital final ball and he seems more composed and confident. I think now he knows it's about the team winning and not just his own personal glory.

I'm sure there's a lot of Liverpool fans who'll want their team to lose next Sunday now ;)

I'm disgusted to think that that is a possibilty :hmm: While there is still a chance to sneak into 4th, however slim, you have to support the team and hope we can make it!

I'd much rather have us get 4th and Man United win the league than to finish lower and have Chelsea win it! I know what it means in terms of United going ahead of us in titles won, but you have to be realistic and understand that Liverpool will be a more attractive club with the possibilty of Champions League football and the added income from playing in the competition will be benefical..

While I am a little interested to see how Spurs of Man City would do in the Champions League, I certainly don't want it at our expense.. and part of me hopes that if either of them get 4th, they'll mess it up in the qualifying round :red:

Edited by nekunando

I'm sure there's a lot of Liverpool fans who'll want their team to lose next Sunday now ;)

Given that they play Athletico on Thursday, I reckon they will be "tired" by the Sunday. :heh:

To be honest, they could put their strongest team out and I'd still expect Chelsea to beat them. If Chelsea are going there knowing full well that they need a win, they'll get it. They know what's at stake.

What did everyone think of Chelsea's second goal, where Kalou went in with both feet to put the ball past Sorensen?

the way I look at those sort of decisions is did the defender change the direction of the ball enough to make sure that the attacker wouldn't get it if he wasn't brought down.

In this case I think Agbonlahor would still have reached the ball before anyone else and therefore a penalty is the right decision.

Having just seen the penalty call, I don't think it was Penalty. The referee is hardly past halfway, when he makes the call, he must have sublime vision. It seems that Johnson actually got a touch aswell which knocked it out for a corner.

In these sorts of cases, the referee could and probably should end confusion by justifying their reason at the end of the match.

However, you'll probably get some counter to that, saying that "referee's don't need to justify their decisions."

Imo, they need to. It wasn't an easy decision to make, and after all of this discussion nobody can say for certain that it was either a penalty or it was not one. What do the rules say in cases like these? The defender got the ball, correct. Would Gabby have got to the ball before it went out of play? We don't know, and we will never know (unless we have some kind of hi-tech simulation that can put a rest to this case.)

In this case, it looks like the referee has seen the player go down, thinks that this prevented the player from getting to the ball, and therefore awarded the penalty. Of course, it would be a million times easier if the referee came out and said this himself, rather than us trying to justify the decision for him!

I thought it was a great tackle, myself. He got the ball, was unfortunate to get the man after getting the ball. I would've just given Villa the corner, because you have to be 100% certain that it is a foul, which I don't think it was.

It's pretty obvious that because the Birmingham player nicks the ball (and I mean nicks it, he only just touches it) in the path of Agbonlahor's run the ref thinks Agbonlahor's touched it and the Birmingham player then clatters him down.

It was a silly challenge to try and make, especially in the last minute of the game. If you're sliding a man from behind in the penalty area you've got to make a telling connection otherwise the ref will think otherwise.

By the letter of the law probably not a penalty, but it's one thats easily given.

It's pretty obvious that because the Birmingham player nicks the ball (and I mean nicks it, he only just touches it) in the path of Agbonlahor's run the ref thinks Agbonlahor's touched it and the Birmingham player then clatters him down.

It was a silly challenge to try and make, especially in the last minute of the game. If you're sliding a man from behind in the penalty area you've got to make a telling connection otherwise the ref will think otherwise.

By the letter of the law probably not a penalty, but it's one thats easily given.

It was a good challenge, and as you correctly say, the player gets the ball. Whether you get a faint touch on the ball or you get enough so that it flies away to Jupiter, a touch is a touch. As you say, the player gets a touch, and so it is probably not a penalty.

Simple answer: Give these refs technology so that they make the correct decision, rather than what they think is the correct decision.

I don't agree at all that it was a stupid challenge to make. What's the player going to do? Let Gabby run in on goal?! I'm all for brave challenges being made in the box, and this was brave. There's a difference between this challenge compared to the one Assou-Ekotto made on Evra on Saturday. One was clumsy and completely missed the ball, whereas the other actually made some attempt to (and did) play/get the ball. I fucking love great defending, and I live for these last-minute tackles.

Simple answer: Give these refs technology so that they make the correct decision, rather than what they think is the correct decision.

I don't agree at all that it was a stupid challenge to make. What's the player going to do? Let Gabby run in on goal?! I'm all for brave challenges being made in the box, and this was brave. There's a difference between this challenge compared to the one Assou-Ekotto made on Evra on Saturday. One was clumsy and completely missed the ball, whereas the other actually made some attempt to (and did) play/get the ball. I fucking love great defending, and I live for these last-minute tackles.

No to technology, because first it will be goal decisions, then it'll be penalty and goal decisions, then it will be penalty, goal and offside decisions, then it'll be penalty, goal, offside and throw-in decisions. And so on until we're checking every little aspect of the game and we have something that represents American Football where you get about 5 mins of action.

As for the two challenges, I see them completely differently. Assou-Ekotto has the player approaching him where as the Birmingham player is behind Agbonlahor and chasing him down.