Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

Was at bloody work today so only had one eye on the game.

Couldn't believe Vidic didn't get sent off. Ref totally bottled it, cup final 4th minute in, last thing he wanted to do was show a red card but he should have it's ridiculous, I think Vidic was probably surprised as anyone not to see a red. And that's coming from a United fan. Can't believe he didn't even get a yellow.

But anyway, Villa were still 1-0 up and should have done a lot better in that posistion. Yes they perhaps would have done better if we only had 10 men but what ifs and all that. You've got to hand it to United after the pen, we had more of the play, more chances and although I'm biased, deserved to win it.

Such a shame about Owen though, was playing well, good movement off the ball, took his goal then bang hamstring.

I think that may be the first time we've retained the league cup. Goodo :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I'm looking for the Nemanja Vidic of last season. If you find him, please return him. Thanks.

Two minutes before kick-off, my famous last words were "I hope Vidic is on form today." I had my head in my hands as he mugged Gabby. A very, very lucky boy. To not even get a yellow was a huge let off for him. He should have gone, no question about it. There really is no explanation. For the rest of the match, he was ok, but we still look very shaky there. I thought we were ok the other night, but I just can't get my head around how poor we've been defensively this season. If Carrick and Fletcher weren't in front of the back four, and if Villa had a bit more firepower up front, we were probably there for the taking today.

I thought there were some good performances today, but I don't think there were many who totally stood out from the rest. Park had a very good first half, I thought Carrick looked good defensively but put some poor balls into the box (those succession of free-kicks that didn't beat the first man ), and I thought Valencia looked much, much better in the second half. He was pretty quiet in the first half, but looked great in the second. My personal man of the match was Berbatov. Every single good piece of play we had went through him. I don't think there was one attack we had that he didn't feature in. Great to see Rooney get the winner, it was written with him starting on the bench.

Villa made it a great game. I'm a big fan of Milner and he is looking the part now. I think what they really needed was someone up alongside Gabby to help him out. He had a great game though, and really gave Vidic (and Evans, imo) a tough time. Lovely player. They were unlucky to lose it today, but I'm hoping they get to the FA Cup Final. Two Cup Finals in a single season would be a massive achievement.

I think thats fair assessment from both Platty and Flink. Ref definitely didn't handle the penalty properly, but on the whole Man Utd were more dangerous and probably just deserved it.

Well chuffed with the game being on BBC, first time I'd bothered to watch the League Cup final since we were last in it.

Feel slightly sorry for Villa, then remember when I was at Villa Park on the last game of the season and the sad bastards had made banners about us going down and I think fuck it, hope at least the little herbets who were pathetic enough to do that are in floods of tears and kicking the hell out of each other.

Sob on the Tyne? Blub in the Brum :D

Edited by BlueStar

I think thats fair assessment from both Platty and Flink. Ref definitely didn't handle the penalty properly, but on the whole Man Utd were more dangerous and probably just deserved it.

Well chuffed with the game being on BBC, first time I'd bothered to watch the League Cup final since we were last in it.

Yeah, I really don't know what the ref was thinking. And, we won't know unless he comes out and explains why he made that particular decision.

I think this season has been a pretty good advert for the League Cup. Those two-legged Manchester Derbies were brilliant, and there's been some quality games of football in the competition. Having it on the BBC will certainly go a long way to advertise the cup, no doubt about it. Should make for an even more exciting competition next season.

Feel slightly sorry for Villa, then remember when I was at Villa Park on the last game of the season and the sad bastards had made banners about us going down and I think fuck it, hope at least the little herbets who were pathetic enough to do that are in floods of tears and kicking the hell out of each other.

Sob on the Tyne? Blub in the Brum :D

Those fans at the game are only a small selection of the total, though. So, I doubt every Villa fan wanted you to go down. I wouldn't take much notice of people who do that. Like those Stoke fans that Ramar pointed out yesterday. They don't deserve being talked about.

Sad news about Keith Alexander. :(

Scotland team to face Czech Republic:

-------------Gordon,

Hutton, Caldwell, Webster, Wallace,

Brown, Thomson, D Fletcher, Robson,

----------Dorrans,

---------------Miller.

Bit of a weird midfield setup, Brown isn't a natural wideplayer. Although Robson does play occasionally on the left he's far more effective through the middle. I can see us playing a lot of through balls tonight and going through the middle rather than down the wings. I'm glad Dorrans is starting as he's on the form of his life in the Championship at the moment although it's a shame McFadden is injured because he always turns it on for Scotland.

Wtf. Apparently because I'm from Scotland I'm not I'm not allowed to watched the England game, but instead ITV give me Miss Congeniality. I mean ideally I'd be watching the Scotland match, but given thats not on terrestial I'd quite like to be given the opportunity to watch the game that is on a channel I get.

Macclesfield manager Keith Alexander dies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/macclesfield_town/8547410.stm

Shocking news, RIP Keith.

Yeah genuinely seemed like a true gentleman of football so shocking news. He seemed to be in the press now and again with his pearls of wisdom. Which would usually be things that make you seat up and notice.

Wtf. Apparently because I'm from Scotland I'm not I'm not allowed to watched the England game, but instead ITV give me Miss Congeniality. I mean ideally I'd be watching the Scotland match, but given thats not on terrestial I'd quite like to be given the opportunity to watch the game that is on a channel I get.

ITV are pissed because STV don't give them enough money for programmes like The Bill and therefore have dropped all the glamour programmes.

If you've got Sky or Virgin Media you can still watch ITV London... Think it's 853 on VM.

---

Good result for Scotland last night. Dorran's was very lively down the left wing. Miller was very lonely upfront and wasn't getting any support at all. Although Levein said he thought Hutton had a great game we all thought he was awful; gave the ball away far too easily, none of his runs came to anything and defending was suspect.

I'm glad that Boyd got a good reception came on, even as a Celtic fan I cheered for him. Great to see him back in the Scotland set up and I thought he played very well when he came on.

FIFA rankings (last month's positions in brackets):

1 (1) Spain

2 (2) Brazil

3 (3) Netherlands

4 (4) Italy

5 (6) Germany

6 (5) Portugal

7 (7) France

8 (9) England

9 (8) Argentina

10 (12) Greece

England being rated as better than the Argies doesn't seem right. ::shrug: Northern Ireland are tied in 39th place with... the Republic of Ireland. :grin: Maybe we'll get above them soon!

Michael Owen out for the season. Well done to the person who started a poll on a Newcastle message board at the start of December with these three options

captureaa.jpg

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke really, eh? Shame that he's not being paid a hundred grand like he was with us, that would be a nice bit of icing on the cake.

Michael Owen out for the season. Well done to the person who started a poll on a Newcastle message board at the start of December with these three options

captureaa.jpg

That's a great prediction, heh.

He's definitely a controversial figure. I think he scored something like 30 or so goals in total for Newcastle, which is ok, but it wasn't his goal-scoring that was the issue. Was it more down to his commitment to the club? I can see why Newcastle fans would be angry at him. I'm thinking that definitely influenced the type of deal he was given when he moved to Man United.

I'm sad he's out for the rest of the season. In certain games, he has looked pretty good with his movement and his awareness. Some of his shooting has been a bit wayward, but on the whole I think he's done ok this season.

Well done to Pompey for beating Birmingham earlier. Also, congratulations to FIFA for having the foresight the reveal that they wouldn't be looking any further into goal line technology, on the same afternoon that Birmingham are not awarded a goal (which clearly should have been given) after the ball had crossed the line. Comical timing by FIFA.

Also, congratulations to FIFA for having the foresight the reveal that they wouldn't be looking any further into goal line technology, on the same afternoon that Birmingham are not awarded a goal (which clearly should have been given) after the ball had crossed the line. Comical timing by FIFA.

I think it's a joke that they are hardly even thinking about it. If there were a chip in the ball it would take seconds (if that) to find out if it was a goal or not. I can't see the advantage in not having it?

GET IN!!! WE ARE GOING TO WEMBLEY!!

Delighted! Yes they should have had a goal but still we won and this stuff happens! I said two weeks ago to my step mum that I thought we would get to the final, just had a funny feeling that it will happen and now we are only 90 mins away from another cup final :) :) :) I'm not saying we will win it, but you never know!

Even if it had been awarded it would have only been 2-1.

Meh, I'm just happy Blues aren't going to Wembley. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

lol... Yeah true but you never know they might have pushed on and been buoyed and equalised.

Just for the record, for me this easily beats our fa cup winning season in terms of achievement, look at our teams its not a patch on the team that lifted the cup. With perhaps the exception of Piquionne being better than King Kanu the rest of the team (of course James and the Herminator are still here) is far far worse than the team which lifted the cup. Even if we get Chelsea in the next round and get hammered would still be happy...but the draw I really want is Spurs and then knock them out!

That's a great prediction, heh.

He's definitely a controversial figure. I think he scored something like 30 or so goals in total for Newcastle, which is ok, but it wasn't his goal-scoring that was the issue. Was it more down to his commitment to the club? I can see why Newcastle fans would be angry at him. I'm thinking that definitely influenced the type of deal he was given when he moved to Man United.

Most definitely, he never really "felt" like a Newcastle player - I suppose that much of it had to do with the fact that he spent most of his time with us injured, and also the pressure on him to perform like Shearer did. He was never going to be as prolific as Big Al, they were different players with entirely different abilities and styles, but the expectation was still there.

The main issue is that he repeatedly refused to commit his future to the club, but was still perfectly happy to pick up his hundred thousand every week while watching from the sidelines, that's what really grated on a lot of people, me included.

Oh, and nice result for us today, it would have been good if Carroll had gotten another brace, but well done to the goal scorers! However, the opposition were a man down, so there's little enough to crow about. My fear is whether or not we can adequately survive in the Premiership if we go up again. Most teams should be able to put six past a ten man Barnsley -and that's no disrespect to Barnsley or their fans, but the question is can we put one past Chelsea and hold on for 90 minutes?

Edited by Iun

Most definitely, he never really "felt" like a Newcastle player - I suppose that much of it had to do with the fact that he spent most of his time with us injured, and also the pressure on him to perform like Shearer did. He was never going to be as prolific as Big Al, they were different players with entirely different abilities and styles, but the expectation was still there.

The main issue is that he repeatedly refused to commit his future to the club, but was still perfectly happy to pick up his hundred thousand every week while watching from the sidelines, that's what really grated on a lot of people, me included.

Oh, and nice result for us today, it would have been good if Carroll had gotten another brace, but well done to the goal scorers! However, the opposition were a man down, so there's little enough to crow about. My fear is whether or not we can adequately survive in the Premiership if we go up again. Most teams should be able to put six past a ten man Barnsley -and that's no disrespect to Barnsley or their fans, but the question is can we put one past Chelsea and hold on for 90 minutes?

Probably not no. But i think with a few new signings we could be mid table. Im begining to think relegation is by far the best thing that could happen. For one this has been the most enjoyable season since the KK days (the first time around) But mostly we have had a good clear out of the dead wood that was holding us back. I read an article the other day that newcastle are going to adopt the arsenal model of getting a lot of young players in. This will hopefully get us away from paying lots of money for players who are past it like we did for a long time. Having this season out could give us a good foundation to build on for the future.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!