Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

Just moved 2 a new house, but its a bit of a rough area...

Myra Hindley is the Avon lady, Fred West is the gardner, Harold Shipman is my new GP, Gary Glitter runs the play group, Michael Jackson is the babysitter! Saddam Hussein runs the ethnic group and Hitler is running the camp site! But most worrying of all is the fact that Rafa Benitez is running the local football club!

:heh:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I don't like Leeds, I love the way that the team always puts up a fight. You can't take that away from them.

However, it's Tottenham's own bluddy fault that they didn't win the game. They should have been 3 or 4 nil up before half time, with all the possession and chances that they had. And, the defending for Beckford's goal (from the corner) was awful. There were about 4 players surrounding him, plus the goal keeper (I'm also pretty sure Gareth Bale was marking the wrong side of him at the corner) so it should have been dealt with. They had chances to close the door on Leeds before half time, didn't do it, and you just can't afford to do that against a team like theirs. They will keep pushing you until the final whistle, which they did, and they earned themselves a replay - which I think they deserved. About 20 minutes into the game, I thought this was going to be a convincing Spurs victory. But, after halftime, it was a totally different game. Leeds must have thought well, its only one nil, they haven't killed us off, so lets throw the kitchen sink at them.

Can't believe Rooney scored four goals today. I thought he was outstanding today, and he was brilliant against City. There's been times this season where he's probably not played as well as he could have, but he's still been banging in the goals. Can't complain with that. But today, he was easily the best player on the field and he bagged himself a hatrick, and another goal for luck. Also, I'm shocked at Nani's performance. He hasn't given a performance like that in a long, long time. Probably not since his first season. He was playing on the right, and I think it made all the difference. However, Valencia has been brilliant this season...and I don't think you can play both. Maybe you could start with one on the left, one on the right and keep interchanging? But, the problem is neither player has a left foot. :hmm:

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Am I the only one who thought the Leeds penalty was a dive?

I still don't know what it was. When I see it the first time I thought definite penalty. Then, the second time, I thought hmm, Dawson does scissor him, but he gets the ball. Then, next time, I thought maybe he gets the ball first?

Its a really hard one to call. I still think it was a penalty. I didn't even think about it as a dive, but then I was looking to see if Dawson got the ball first or the man, so I wasn't looking for that. Might look for a youtube vid or something.

Am I the only one who thought the Leeds penalty was a dive?

I've looked at the ITV replay after match analysis on Youtube. I have to say though, it is a penalty. He's made contact with the knee knocking him off balance. Even if you think he went down softly the defender has done enough to make that a Penalty.

And with that, only Chelsea remain in the FA cup. To be honest it doesn't bother me. I'm sure the Premier and Champions league are the cups we are focusing on anyway. Seemed that way after Fuller got his second, we hardly pressed them at all and conceded a soft 3rd, mind you all the goals Stoke scored were soft.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Anyone watching the Milan derby tonight? ESPN is free-to-air all this weekend. Kick off is at 7:45.

Predictions?

Wohoo, thanks for this. I read your post before kick off.

My brother predicted a 2-nil Inter win, but I went for AC to win by the same score. Thing is, I want AC to win, but I just look at Mourinho's home record and think...ah, it's probably not gonna happen.

As it happens, Inter are one up now. :(

I thought the Stoke-Arsenal game was pretty thrilling to watch. Etherington was outstanding I thought, and by far my Man of the Match. Completely dominated that left side and along with Fuller just gave the Arsenal defence problems all afternoon.

Saying that, as much as I dislike Sol Campbell for his disloyalty to Notts County, I thought he had a great first half. Looked his usual tough and imposing self. Also, that Emmanuel-Thomas who played up front for Arsenal looked pretty good, too.

22560_271232053629_514683629_3202026_7816107_n.jpg

I thought for about 65 minutes Campbell was quality, a shit load better than I expected him to be. He really showed up Agent X, I hope we get rid of that useless tosser in the summer.

Also getting pissed off with Walcott and Vela, the pair of them don't know how to make a run into space and neither of them care to get stuck in.

Stoke, apart from playing for throw-ins, deserved the game, we weren't in it at all.

I'm glad you mentioned Walcott. He looked very much out of it today. But, he's hardly played all season, hasn't he? I think it'll be a while before Arsenal fans see him back up to speed.

Who's Agent X? Silvestre? I was a bit surprised with that Arsenal defence. Are Gallas and Vermaelen injured at the moment?

That Milan derby was electric. 2 sending offs, 2 goals, a lot of bookings and a hostile crowd. It was great. I can't believe how AC played though. Their shooting was absolutely dreadful, and they hardly troubled Cesar at all. Definitely one of the weakest performances by them that I've ever seen. Considering that Ronaldinho has been having somewhat of a rivival, I expected more from him tonight. Inter on the other hand were great defensively, always getting people behind the ball, and they countered with speed. I think they could have played for another hour with 9 men and AC still wouldn't have scored.

Who's Agent X? Silvestre? I was a bit surprised with that Arsenal defence. Are Gallas and Vermaelen injured at the moment?

Yeah Silvestre, useless plank. He's got absolutely nothing to add to the squad. He's bringing us down from the inside, hence the nickname.

I think Vermaelen had a slight injury, but in all honesty with our run of Villa (away), Man Utd (home), Chelsea (away) then Liverpool (home). It makes sense to keep our best defenders fit.

Yeah Silvestre, useless plank. He's got absolutely nothing to add to the squad. He's bringing us down from the inside, hence the nickname.

I think Vermaelen had a slight injury, but in all honesty with our run of Villa (away), Man Utd (home), Chelsea (away) then Liverpool (home). It makes sense to keep our best defenders fit.

Haha, well...he was pretty much our fourth choice defender when he left. So, you should've known what you were getting. He's no Maldini. :heh:

Yeah, you've got a tough run of games coming up. It's one of those situations where you probably should have played a tougher team (but you don't realise it until looking back afterwards. On a different day, that team would maybe have done ok. You never know in football), like United did against Leeds. I still don't know why we did that...we definitely didn't have a tough run coming up. :hmm:

Still, Rio is back now. Something in the back of my mind is telling me that Villa may have a good cup run. I can see them getting to the final.

ITs kind of odd hearing that from a PORTSMOUTH lover. Don't think they are very popular amongst many right now :p

What you mean by that?! Anyway we've called them scum for years just like they call us skates....I'd hardly say we are unpopular most people seem to feel sorry for us.

Anyway copying this over from another post in another thread so it gets read by footie people:

In all honesty, so could have United...:'(

We're being drowned, ever so slowly. So, it's really whether you want to die quick and painfully, or slow and painfully. Gah.

I said this to mate. If the Glazers totally pulled out and banks etc... called in what they are owed, Man Utd would be fucked...People forget that about Pompey, Sacha Gaydamak pulled out his support for the club and as a result banks called in the overdraft facilities, we are a warning to all clubs it could be you. Rather than spending all that money on players on stupid wages whilst we could have built a solid infrastructure like the stadium and training ground instead we are going bust with a falling apart decades old stadium...however we did win the FA Cup in my lifetime and there are plenty of fans of smaller teams who would love to have that, just it has come at a very very heavy price.

In other news the youth team bus got repossessed today as we failled to keep up with the hire payments.

What you mean by that?! Anyway we've called them scum for years just like they call us skates....I'd hardly say we are unpopular most people seem to feel sorry for us.

Anyway copying this over from another post in another thread so it gets read by footie people:

I said this to mate. If the Glazers totally pulled out and banks etc... called in what they are owed, Man Utd would be fucked...People forget that about Pompey, Sacha Gaydamak pulled out his support for the club and as a result banks called in the overdraft facilities, we are a warning to all clubs it could be you. Rather than spending all that money on players on stupid wages whilst we could have built a solid infrastructure like the stadium and training ground instead we are going bust with a falling apart decades old stadium...however we did win the FA Cup in my lifetime and there are plenty of fans of smaller teams who would love to have that, just it has come at a very very heavy price.

In other news the youth team bus got repossessed today as we failled to keep up with the hire payments.

Aye, we would be fucked. The Glazer situation really is such a...it makes me fucking angry just thinking about it. I remember the day the takeover got announced, seeing his face, and wishing I could crush him with my bare hands. The situation could go one of two ways. Either the club will be stripped piece by piece and the Glazers will take whatever they can and run, or a buyer will come in at some point and rid us of the debt and the Glazers. In which case, they take the money and run. I think the second scenario would leave the Glazers with more money, so I'm betting they'd love to be in a position to sell the club.

The Pompey situation really is something, though. I just can't get my head around it. It's a bit different from the Glazer scenario because the Glazers took out loans to buy the club, which is where the debt comes into it. The Pompey though really is pure mismanagment. But how?! I mean...how?! How was such a thing allowed to happen? The fans really deserve an explanation, because this shouldn't be happening.

YES YES YES!!!!!! WE ARE PLAYING THE SCUM IN THE CUP!!!

Unofficial Harry Redknapp testimonial?

See we've finally got that fella from your lot after the absurd situation I was talking about on the last page. Sounds like they put that pillock with the bell or someone in charge of their paperwork.

Edit: We've also signed Wayne Routledge :D

Edited by BlueStar

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!