Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

I don't understand all this hype about Benayoun? I think he's a awful player, every time i watch him play, he's slow, clumsy, and generally bad. He actually reminds me of Luis Garcia, he can bring out a superb performance now and again, then he will be shit for another 5 games, very much like Babel.

I wouldn't say were out of the title yet, but were very much handicapped from now onwards, but this year is shaping up to be very open, with the top 4 and Man City, Spurs, and Villa all looking good, they will take points from the other top 4 teams. So were not out of it at all.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand all this hype about Benayoun? I think he's a awful player, every time i watch him play, he's slow, clumsy, and generally bad. He actually reminds me of Luis Garcia, he can bring out a superb performance now and again, then he will be shit for another 5 games, very much like Babel.

I wouldn't say were out of the title yet, but were very much handicapped from now onwards, but this year is shaping up to be very open, with the top 4 and Man City, Spurs, and Villa all looking good, they will take points from the other top 4 teams. So were not out of it at all.

I wouldn't say he's an awful player, at all. He seems to be a player that the fans seem to like, probably down to his work-rate. He seems to be a person who can come on and add a bit of a spark to the game. An impact player, maybe. I can't judge him fully because I'm not a Liverpool fan (yuck :p) but he seems quite decent, to me.

As for the title race, it's early days. But, 3 losses out of 8 games isn't the best start. You can't win the season this early on, but I think the last thing Liverpool wanted to do was put themselves in a position where they would be needing to play catchup.

I would say that Babel makes a bigger impact than Benayoun coming on as a sub, mainly because of the pace and strength he can offer. Maybe i was harsh saying awful, but i don't rate him too highly.

I would have to say that Yossi seems a lot more consistent than Babel, though. Saying that, wait til you watch Nani over the course of a few games. Inconsistency personified. In the first half against Sunderland, he couldn't perform a simple short pass. In the second half, he must have crossed the ball into the box a good dozen times, including from corners, with pin-point accuracy. Sometimes you wonder if you're watching the same player. As a fan, it is fucking infuriating. Why he doesn't do it more often, I will never know.

I would say that Babel makes a bigger impact than Benayoun coming on as a sub, mainly because of the pace and strength he can offer. Maybe i was harsh saying awful, but i don't rate him too highly.

Bennynoon's been liverpools most consistant attacking player this season. Babel has been utter shit everytime i've seen him play, should stick to the rap career imo.

Edited by Noodleman

Apparently we're pretty interested in signing Sol Campbell. Sky Sports have said us, Hull (obviously) and Newcastle are after him, but we've "stolen a march" on the others.

I don't know how true this is, but our defence could definately do with strengthening. Sol also seems to think he'll be able to join a club before January, despite being told he can't..?

In other news, Brunt looks set to miss our next few games after straining a calf against Preston... Gutted :(

Apparently we're pretty interested in signing Sol Campbell. Sky Sports have said us, Hull (obviously) and Newcastle are after him, but we've "stolen a march" on the others.

I don't know how true this is, but our defence could definately do with strengthening. Sol also seems to think he'll be able to join a club before January, despite being told he can't..?

In other news, Brunt looks set to miss our next few games after straining a calf against Preston... Gutted :(

I'm pretty sure i heard on Sky Sports News that he's still tied to his contract with Notts county somehow, not sure how, but I'm sure that's what i heard.

He was in Newcastle for talks before he signed with notts county. If Newcastle really are after him i cant really see why he would go to west brom no offence.

By that reckoning: if Hull (Premier League club) really are after him, i really can't see why he would go to Newcastle..?

How do you make a statement about someones club being inferior to yours and not mean to cause offence when we are both at pretty much the same level at the moment???

The difference between our clubs at the moment boils down to 3 points and the fact that our club isn't uncertain of its future.

When will the Newcastle fans realise they are not in the middle of their glory years. Only Liverpool supporters are allowed to harp on about the past :heh:

(i like Liverpool really :)).

I've lost a lot of respect for Sol Campbell over the Notts County fiasco. Signing a contract, only playing the one game and then deciding that you want to play for clubs in the higher leagues just seems very disrespectful, imo. Maybe he just didn't think things through or something.

Also, did anyone else read/hear about Fabio Cannavaro failing that dope test?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8298063.stm

"Fabio Cannavaro has failed a doping test after taking a medicine containing banned substance cortisone.

Cannavaro, who took the medicine in August, had sought an exemption, claiming he was treating a wasp sting.

However, the Juventus defender's application was missing documentation and, while awaiting a decision, he was subsequently tested. "

I've tried reading up about it, but I can't find one source that tells me/us why it is a banned substance. Doesn't it aid muscle regeneration? So, maybe it has something to do with enhancing performance or something. I dunno. Going to try and read some more.

See thing is now I've been thinking about it, my brother had it in his foot before an important football match. I asked my dad about it and he thought it was commonly used when footballers have swollen muscles etc...

See thing is now I've been thinking about it, my brother had it in his foot before an important football match. I asked my dad about it and he thought it was commonly used when footballers have swollen muscles etc...

Hmm, I'd ask about that in future, just to make sure. Ask your Doctor or something. Just to be on the safe side.

AFAIK it helps the body produce adrenaline or something? So it would enhance performance by increasing energy levels?

Ahh, so it's a performance enhancing drug? Most of the stuff I read just seemed to point towards muscle regeneration. Is it a steroid?

At the risk of thread hi-jack + annoying people...

Does anyone fancy joining in with the next xpert 11 season?? we're after some new recruits :)

C'mon, all the cool kids do eet :heh:

Seriously though: The current season ends next friday, so if anyone is interested now is the time to make it known.

I joined last season and it is honestly pretty fun.

If anyone wants any info just ask or see the current season's thread.

hypnotoad.gif

:Back to topic:

I'm not an xpert (ba-dum-ting... couldn't resist), but as far as i'm aware it is an anti-inflammatory. I think it is a steroid compound, and is probably banned because it is hard to distinguish from anabolic steroids..?

Edited by DuD

Cortisone used to be used all the time in football to help players play through minor injuries, however it turns out it was doing them more long term damage, so I don't know if that's the reason it ended up banned

So, it was both good and bad? Heh, cool. I want to find out more about it now, rather interested.

Just went to the BBC Live Text Update for the England Game:

"1730: RED CARD England (Rob Green)

1729: PENALTY TO UKRAINE"

Well, he had been warned in the previous game. Was it that game or the one before where he could've been sent off in the first few minutes?

Just checked again, it looks like this was mostly Rio Ferdinand's fault. D'oh.

Yeah just checked that aswell:

1732: Shambles, absolute shambles. Horrible mistake by Rio Ferdinand gives Artem Milevskiy a clean run on goal, and he pokes the ball past Rob Green and draws the foul. Clear penalty for Ukraine, and Green - largely thanks to Ferdinand's moment of madness - is sent off.

Ferninand needs a serious scare from Capello imo. He seems to have gotten too cocky of late thinking he's not gonna be dropped or something and he's been putting in some dismal performances.

Just doesn't seem concentrated for England, he gave away that goal against Holland and now this.

We're in a great position in the group, try someone else out, and stick a rocket up his ass.

I think the Rio-situation is a mixture of three things: Return from injury problems, bad form and complacency.

He's not played too much football so far. Honestly, I think it'll somewhat of a small blip for him, but it does seem like he needs a kick up the arse. We know what he is capable of, and I think he'll get over this.

Also, about paying to watch the England game: What a joke! I've read that it is now £11.99 to watch the game online. Faith in the England team is still under the process of being repaired, there are people struggling financially under the current climate, and England have already qualified for the World Cup next year. Why on Earth would anyone want to fork out extra money to watch the match on the internet? You pay over a tenner, and you can't even watch the game on your telly? Add to that the cost of the TV licence, paying for Sky/Sky Sports, etc.

Wouldn't it have been so much easier to have just shown the game on the BBC? It's a crock.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!