NEurope

Sorry but there are 2 teams ANY liverpool player (ex-player) should never join. One is everton and one is Man U. I would rather him have a good go at hull than be Fergies bench warmer. Anyway il always remember him as the young lad who promised so much, but il never be able to watch him play again.

Sorry but there are 2 teams ANY liverpool player (ex-player) should never join. One is everton and one is Man U. I would rather him have a good go at hull than be Fergies bench warmer. Anyway il always remember him as the young lad who promised so much, but il never be able to watch him play again.

I understand what you are saying but you can only justify this if it works both ways. Hypothetically if Wayne Rooney wanted out and Liverpool signed him would you be unhappy that the club was signing a former man utd/everton player or would you be over the moon that liverpool were signing a world class player?

Also I think it was pretty clear years ago that Owen never had the same effection with liverpool fans like Fowler did for example. Even though Owen came through the youth system etc it was never the same.

Edited by khilafah

Yeah but who in their right mind is gonna say "no I don't want the chance to play with the current champions and compete for trophies next season, instead I'll turn them down and wait for more offers that may never come"

Considering the likes of Blackburn actually turned him down and the only teams being seriously linked to him were Hull and the like he was probably thinking that he'd never play at the top level again. You can't blame the guy for taking such a chance to resurrect his career.

I can understand that too, from Owen's point of view in terms of quality of football and his career it's a brilliant transfer.

But from the Liverpool fans view it's terrible, and the fact he can just join them on whim is difficult to take.

I'll never forgive that short bastard for the 2001 FA Cup Final, especially considering they should have been down to 10 men.

Honestly, I still can't understand the such severe reaction.

David Beckham for example, Man United legend, if he was still at LA Galaxy and had no chance of playing for England again and the only offer he had of getting back into top level football was with Liverpool I wouldn't say he was dead to me or all this other crap!

Sure it would be hard to accept but I would understand that it is a necessity for him and would just be thankful for everything he did for United.

Honestly, I still can't understand the such severe reaction.

David Beckham for example, Man United legend, if he was still at LA Galaxy and had no chance of playing for England again and the only offer he had of getting back into top level football was with Liverpool I wouldn't say he was dead to me or all this other crap!

Sure it would be hard to accept but I would understand that it is a necessity for him and would just be thankful for everything he did for United.

Out of curiosity, what do people think of Paul Ince? That goes out to Liverpool and United fans.

Imo, it's not like he went directly from Liverpool to Manchester United. He left Liverpool for Madrid. He stopped being a Liverpool player a long time ago, imo. It's not as if Liverpool fans even still rant and rave about him to this day. He's a memory to them.

His career has taken a bit of a nose-drive. The fact is, Fergie offered him something, a chance to kick-start his career at a team who have been Premier League Champions for three seasons running, a team which had been in their second Champions League Final in two years, and a team who were looking for a new striker or two.

Sure, for Liverpool fans, it's probably not nice seeing him put on the shirt in the pictures that were posted during this week. But, he's not moving to United for love, or loyalty. But, I accept that. I'm not expecting him to be the next legend at the club, because he's really only here to do a job.

If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be far more interested in what Torres does than Owen personally. It's not like Owen was a diehard Liverpool fan, he was born in Chester and supported Everton as a kid. Don't remember there being mass outrage when Liverpool signed Nick Barmby from Everton for example

If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be far more interested in what Torres does than Owen personally. It's not like Owen was a diehard Liverpool fan, he was born in Chester and supported Everton as a kid. Don't remember there being mass outrage when Liverpool signed Nick Barmby from Everton for example

Yeah, that's pretty what I was thinking in my head but couldn't put down onto paper. Honestly, before this week, how many Liverpool fans actually cared what Michael Owen did in his career or life?

To be fair, on the whole, I think most Liverpool fans have taken this recent bit of news quite well, at least from what I've seen and heard. But, I dunno.

Yeah, that's pretty what I was thinking in my head but couldn't put down onto paper. Honestly, before this week, how many Liverpool fans actually cared what Michael Owen did in his career or life?

To be fair, on the whole, I think most Liverpool fans have taken this recent bit of news quite well, at least from what I've seen and heard. But, I dunno.

I don't get the outrage by some liverpool fans. Owen is on his way down, Rafa was not interested so let him join utd and be happy you have Torres who is way better.

Like Noodleman said, Liverpool fans were not calling it a sad day when barmby signed from everton. When Ince signed most liverpool fans were happy about that also.

When Peter Beardsley joined everton there was no hatred aimed at him. If you have a problem with owen going utd then you must have a problem with Utd or everton players joining liverpool. You cant have it one way and not the other.

Most liverpool fans wanted Gabriel Heinze and had no problem with the fact he was a Utd player.

Edited by khilafah

Liverpool fans just want something to moan about. As people have said, if you're a professional footballer and the last few years of your career have been a disappointment because of various reasons you aren't going to turn down a chance to get in the spotlight, especially with 'the biggest club in the world'.

As a United fan there's nothing to complain about really, if he isn't good enough he won't be played, but I think he is a super sub and has always been a natural finisher, something you can't really teach.

I don't think he'll get many goals, maybe a Henrik Larsson like season where he plays a (kind of) fair amount but doesn't get loads of goals. He does look out of place in that shirt though, and strange kit btw, the black stripe for me just seems a reminder to fans that it is a new shirt.

Liverpool fans just want something to moan about...

..hey.. don't lump us all in the same boat :heh:

The biggest mistake he made was leaving Liverpool for Real Madrid when Benitez took over :hmm: Obviously, you could understand him wanting to leave then as Liverpool weren't quite able to compete for the major honours at the time and the lure of the Bernabeu is something that would attract a lot of players.. the irony is that Owen left in order to have a chance of winning big trophies like the Champions League yet, when he left, we won it :yay:

He just hasn't been the same player since his Liverpool days but he had a great scoring record in Spain but just couldn't stay in the team which was unfortunate for him. He wasn't able to do the business at Newcastle, but Man United should be a different proposition as Michael Owen is likely to thrive on the chances that the Red Devils' attacking play will provide him with, something that was never available at St. James Park..

Good luck to him.. but as a Liverpool fan, it just doesn't feel quite right :hmm: He was right to bite Alex Ferguson's hand off though..

In my head its all different depending on the player. If say, Salif Diao had left for Man U i wouldnt have been bothered. If Torres was leaving for them i would be fuming. I grew up watching Owen banging in goals left right and center for us, and i was heartbroken when he left. I was one of the fans who would champion him all the time and really hoped that he would come back.

The real worry is that we know what he is capable of!

He just hasn't been the same player since his Liverpool days but he had a great scoring record in Spain but just couldn't stay in the team which was unfortunate for him. He wasn't able to do the business at Newcastle, but Man United should be a different proposition as Michael Owen is likely to thrive on the chances that the Red Devils' attacking play will provide him with, something that was never available at St. James Park.

I don't think Man U are the type of team that will suit him either to be honest, they don't usually have space for goal poachers feeding off other people's work and they don't have set roles of creating wingers and finishing strikers - everyone in a Man U shirt has to be an all round player, tracking back, battling for the ball and making their own chances. If he just wanders around wanting someone to put a goal on a plate for him like he did for us he won't get off the bench very much. Even when he got the chances he missed loads of sitters for us late on in the season and didn't look like the Owen of old even when he was one on one with the keeper. Saying that, maybe he'll be more motivated to put the graft in in a Man U shirt, if he can get over the fact he really wishes it was a Liverpool or England top (if the rags are to be believed he was willing to take a hefty pay cut to go to the Scousers but Rafa didn't want him.)

unless ESPN add French Ligue 1 and Bundesliga football they wont be getting my £9 per month.

The US broadcaster ESPN has announced plans to launch a new UK sports channel, called ESPN, on 3 August.

The channel will show 46 live Barclays Premier League football games, which were to have been shown by Setanta until it missed a payment deadline.

The channel will also show some of the US sports to which ESPN owns rights.

ESPN has reached an initial deal to have the channel shown on Sky, but it is in talks with all UK pay-TV platforms about carrying the service.

Sky will also be responsible for selling advertising on the new channel.

Premiums

ESPN owns the rights to broadcast 46 live Premier League games in the 2009/10 season and 23 matches for each of the following three seasons.

Sky's residential customers will have to pay a premium of £9 a month for the new channel if they already pay for Sky Sports or £12 a month if they do not.

For commercial customers it will be part of the "ultimate" channel package.

The Premier League matches on ESPN will be produced by Sky Sports, although it will feature ESPN branding.

ESPN also owns rights to show American football, ice hockey, baseball and college football and basketball throughout Europe, which it used to show in the UK on its ESPN America channel.

ESPN is owned by The Walt Disney Company.

£9 for just a few Premier League matches isn't worth it. I won't be watching the American sports. But like you say khilafah if they add the European leagues Setanta had then maybe I'll sign up.

£9 a month. Leave it out.

Good old sopcast will come into use again then next season.

£9 for just a few Premier League matches isn't worth it. I won't be watching the American sports. But like you say khilafah if they add the European leagues Setanta had then maybe I'll sign up.

Thing is Ramar are not sure if ESPN have took notes on how Setanta failed. I mean they had more sports than ESPN and charged the same price but still could not get enough subscribers.

I am not sure if people are gonna be prepared to pay for ESPN just for a few more EPL games. They need to start getting more footy and sports in general.

I was hoping they would start off with £6 per month.

Pretty surprised at this, given ESPN are supposedly keen to get a hold in the European telly market. I would have thought Disney would have eaten up a bit of a loss and they would have offered it for peanuts.

Thing is Ramar are not sure if ESPN have took notes on how Setanta failed. I mean they had more sports than ESPN and charged the same price but still could not get enough subscribers.

I am not sure if people are gonna be prepared to pay for ESPN just for a few more EPL games. They need to start getting more footy and sports in general.

I was hoping they would start off with £6 per month.

I agree, but I can guess the difference between ESPN and Setanta is that ESPN have other cash revenues than tv, and that they can afford to test the water and a take a loss. I too was hoping for it to be cheaper.

BTW now that Setanta has gone bust who got the FA Cup and England matches?

---

Edit

Bollocks to Tevez, Ronaldo and Michael Owen. Robin Van Persie has just signed a new contract. Best footballing news of the week.

Link

Over the moon, I actually shouted "yes!" when I saw it on the website.

Edited by Ramar

I agree, but I can guess the difference between ESPN and Setanta is that ESPN have other cash revenues than tv, and that they can afford to test the water and a take a loss. I too was hoping for it to be cheaper.

BTW now that Setanta has gone bust who got the FA Cup and England matches?

---

Edit

Bollocks to Tevez, Ronaldo and Michael Owen. Robin Van Persie has just signed a new contract. Best footballing news of the week.

Link

Over the moon, I actually shouted "yes!" when I saw it on the website.

Well ITV are obliged to take over from Setanta on the England games unless another broadcaster takes over Setanta's package. FA Cup will go to bidding soon I guess.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/setanta-woe-could-boost-itv/5002380.article

ITV is rubbing its hands at the prospect of picking up eight England matches at a knockdown price if Setanta Sports collapses.

Under the terms of ITV’s deal with the Football Association, it is obliged to pick up eight England home friendlies between now and 2012 if Setanta fails. It will acquire the games at around £2m-£2.5m per game, thought to be roughly half of what Setanta may have paid.

Although it would mean cashstrapped ITV forking out an additional £16m or more, it is understood the broadcaster is more than happy at the possibility of taking on the rights to the England games.

An ITV insider said: “England matches are always a huge hit with viewers, especially a hard-to-reach ABC1 male audience.

“We already have the biggest free-to-air football contract of any broadcaster, and to be able to add the England friendlies at a significantly reduced rate to that, especially around the World Cup, would be tremendous.â€

ITV is also believed to be interested in mulling over any other sports rights Setanta may have to let go if it falls into administration.

Setanta has closed its online and phone subscription sales services, and BT Vision said while Setanta was still available in its packages and as a standalone channel, it was no longer advertising the service.

Setanta was not in administration as Broadcast went to press and was examining all options for refinancing the business. On Tuesday, it met with the FA to discuss its payment options, before an emergency board meeting where a £40m rescue package was mooted.

Its co-founders are reported to be interested in an 11th-hour rescue deal backed by Goldman Sachs, one of Setanta’s three key investors.

An FA spokesman said negotiations with Setanta were ongoing. It is understood that if the broadcaster collapses, the association will try to resell the other FA rights Setanta holds, such as FA Cup games, to different broadcasters for a similar price.

On the subject of player loyalty, I present to you:

Kenny_Miller_608394.jpg

Played for Rangers for a year. Went down south. Played for Celtic for a couple of years. Went down south. Now playing for Rangers again.

When he signed for Celtic, I seem to remember him saying something like "This is where I have always wanted to play"

When he re-signed for Rangers, he said something like "I'm back where my heart has always been"

Prick.

The Fabian Delph saga deepens, or maybe it just begins, who knows.

Pretty much every major news site is reporting that Leeds refused a bid from Aston Villa for the young midfielder, yet it appears that a profile page has been created for Fabian Delph and the official Aston Villa website, which would appear to add weight to reports (and to new additions to his Wikipedia entry) that Villa have snapped him up for £7.5m.

I assume we'll get concrete information tomorrow, but the appearance of an entry for him on the Villa site certainly raises a few questions.

EDIT: Hmm, but it appears that this entry was around as early as January, so it's all very up in the air.

I hope it goes through though, we really do need to start signing some players soon, otherwise all of our targets will be snapped up.

Just been looking around at this.

Can't see anything on the Villa website, nothing is on the Sky Sports website. There is something on the Leeds Utd website, though: A statement saying that two offers from two Premier League clubs for Delph have been rejected.

And his Wikipedia page says this:

On the 9th July 2009 Delph signed a 4 year contract with Aston Villa for a fee in the region of 7.5 million pounds.[20]

But the citation there is a link to a page on the LUFC website about Delph winning Player of the Year Awards. :wtf:

It all looks like utter bullshit. :indeed:

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I wanted to believe it though because I just want O'Neill to start confirming some signings!

we've just signed Carlisles Keeper Ben Williams. Hardly a glamour signing and I cant say ive seen him play. Would have rather got Jimmy Walker back after West Ham released him personally, we have a decent young keeper in cousins hope this doesn't hault his development.

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I wanted to believe it though because I just want O'Neill to start confirming some signings!

Goes without saying that the Villa stuff is now gone from his Wiki page.

It even said in the box on the right "Current club: Aston Villa." :indeed: