NEurope

Only 2 left now on Real's list. Villa and Xabi Alonso. With Benzema and Valencia holding firm Villa looks unlikely however I could see them getting Alonso.

They really do just piss me off, I'm not surprised Blatter and Platini havn't said anything. If it were an English team (or really any team other than Real) they would claim that team were ruining the game.

tbf Benzema has always said hes been a Real Madrid fan and would love to play for them. He also said several times last year that he wanted to play in Spain not England. Personally think all the links with united where a combination of wishful thinking and paper bullshit.

The good news in all this Madrid spending is some quality players could become available, especially the likes of Sneijder, Van Der Vaart and Hunterlaar. I'd buy any one of them if I was Wenger.

tbf Benzema has always said hes been a Real Madrid fan and would love to play for them. He also said several times last year that he wanted to play in Spain not England. Personally think all the links with united where a combination of wishful thinking and paper bullshit.

There's been other stuff that I've read where he has said that he was a fan of United. Infact, here's something I've read today:

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv263/deanrolandthompson/benzinho2.jpg

There's always one newspaper saying one thing, and another saying something which contradicts the other one. It's all a mess, so I tend to...not listen to players when they say it's their dream to play for a certain club. It just reminds me of all these Britain's Got Talent hopefuls who apparently have the dream to play at the Royal Variety Performance. Hmm, really?!

The good news in all this Madrid spending is some quality players could become available, especially the likes of Sneijder, Van Der Vaart and Hunterlaar. I'd buy any one of them if I was Wenger.

Each of those are quality players, and I would also be happy if Fergie picked up any of these. But, if they do stay at Real Madrid, I do fear for them. It must be pretty strange there at the club right now, knowing that so many players are coming in. There's not enough room for everyone, is there?

There's been other stuff that I've read where he has said that he was a fan of United. Infact, here's something I've read today:

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv263/deanrolandthompson/benzinho2.jpg

There's always one newspaper saying one thing, and another saying something which contradicts the other one. It's all a mess, so I tend to...not listen to players when they say it's their dream to play for a certain club. It just reminds me of all these Britain's Got Talent hopefuls who apparently have the dream to play at the Royal Variety Performance. Hmm, really?!

Each of those are quality players, and I would also be happy if Fergie picked up any of these. But, if they do stay at Real Madrid, I do fear for them. It must be pretty strange there at the club right now, knowing that so many players are coming in. There's not enough room for everyone, is there?

It's all acadmic now.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5410725,00.html

Do you mean "elementary", or were you not going for the Dr. Watson thing?

Just pointing out that whenever somebody claims it is there "dream" to play for a club, or that they're fans of a certain team, it doesn't entirely mean that it is the truth.

Also, we talked about the news on the other page (and most of this one), so I'm just...a bit confused now as to why you pointed that out, heh.

It's the heat :heh: and my general lazyness in not checking the previous pages.

It's the heat :heh: and my general lazyness in not checking the previous pages.

Aww, I'll let you off then, you lazy bugger. :heh:

I wanted us to sign Huntelaar over Berbatov. I think he is quality. A young Van Nistlerooy in the making.

I wanted us to sign Huntelaar over Berbatov. I think he is quality. A young Van Nistlerooy in the making.

Huntelaar would be awesome at United, but I quite like the look of Van de Vaart. Although, any of three would be more than welcome. I think they could each fit in nicely as well.

The league kind of had a culture in it a few years ago where it would seem every high scoring player from Holland would would be just as successful here as they were there. Alves, "I will be better than Henry" Kezman, and so on. It's a big label to be called the next Ruud, pressure a player doesn't need. Huntelaar shouldn't be a Ruud Mk II, after all we've won 3 league titles and a CL without him.

Daily Record is running this story

BROADCAST giants Sky and ESPN have teamed up to force the SPL into accepting a cut-price bail-out deal.

Record Sport can reveal the rival firms – who had been expected to bid against each other for the rights to screen Scotland’s top flight after the collapse of Setanta – have, in fact, joined forces to table a single “take-it-or-leave-it” offer.

But the proposal – which would see the complete package of live games divvied up between the two channels – would also force our cash-strapped clubs into accepting a whopping £40million less than they had been banking on from the original Setanta deal.

The Irish pay-per-view company had pledged to cough up £14m to cover the coming season’s SPL fixtures before a new four-year deal worth £125m kicked in next August – a total of £139m.

Record Sport understands Sky and ESPN are demanding a straight five-year contract until the summer of 2014 – but offering less than £100m for the rights.

There is little room for manoeuvre for SPL executive chairman Lex Gold who has already promised to save Scotland’s top 12 from skid row, despite the plug being pulled on Setanta’s coverage.

Gold has been left with no other credible alternative to the joint Sky-ESPN package – and with hardly any hope of talking up the price now the two rival bidders have joined forces to act as broadcast partners. Gold can’t even attempt to ersuade Sky to go it alone as there are not enough available slots on their sports channels to squeeze a full SPL season into the schedules.

That is why Sky and ESPN believe a joint bid makes more sense but, by working together rather than bidding against one another, they are also driving the price down at a time when Scottish clubs are in desperate need of cash.

Only 2 left now on Real's list. Villa and Xabi Alonso. With Benzema and Valencia holding firm Villa looks unlikely however I could see them getting Alonso.

They really do just piss me off, I'm not surprised Blatter and Platini havn't said anything. If it were an English team (or really any team other than Real) they would claim that team were ruining the game.

They want Ribery also but Bayern are holding firm at the moment.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5411276,00.html

Frank Ribery has told Bayern Munich that he wants to leave the club and join the new generation of 'galacticos' at Real Madrid.

The France international has been at the centre of a long-running saga over the past six months, with Real and Premier League champions Manchester United chasing his signature.

Bundesliga runners-up Bayern have remained adamant that they will not be selling £30million-rated Ribery, but their star asset has now announced his desire to move away from Germany.

The 26-year-old wants to follow Raul Albiol, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema in agreeing a big-money, summer move to the Bernabeu, delivering another transfer blow to United.

Sir Alex Ferguson was thought to want Benzema, but the Frenchman has snubbed Old Trafford and is on the verge of moving to Spain, and Ribery looks set to do the same.

Evolve

"I have made up my mind, I want to leave," Ribery told L'Equipe. "It will be Real or nothing.

"I am waiting to see how things will evolve. Then, I would like to have a talk with Bayern's hierarchy."

But Bayern's general manager Uli Hoeness insists that Ribery's announcement does not alter their stance.

He said: "Franck wants to join Real? That doesn't change anything to us. Real never did us any concrete proposition.

"The Real officials wanted to come to Munich, but we told them it was useless and they should save some plane tickets.

"We don't need their money, and we will keep Franck come hell or high water."

Edited by khilafah

There's a classic story that I read earlier where Bayern's executive chairman said: ""Personally, I read Franck's statement like that: either Real Madrid or nothing. And our clear reply is: nothing!"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5412331,00.html

Personally, I think he will go. Me and my brother have a little game going on where we try and predict whether or not the players will go, and how much for. I've gone out on a limb and said that Ribery will go to Real Madrid for 60 million. My brother thinks 50, and he's probably right, but I think Bayern will hold strong and firm, and will try and get 60.

We've also got another side-bet on Alonso leaving Liverpool for Madrid. I think he'll go for 35, but it really depends on whether or not any other Liverpool players leave. If Mascherano leaves for Barcelona, I can't see Liverpool letting Alonso go either.

There's also a rumour going around that Manchester United will pick up Michael Owen for free, and on relatively low wages. Dunno quite how I feel about that one, though.

if madrid get alonso and ribery how sexy will this be

Casillas

Ramos Pepe Albiol Marcelo

Diarra Alonso

Ribery Kaka Cronaldo

Benzema

then a bench of raul, other diarra, higuain, gago, any of the dutchies who don't get sold etc etc. If that side gels it will be scary.

if madrid get alonso and ribery how sexy will this be

Casillas

Ramos Pepe Albiol Marcelo

Diarra Alonso

Ribery Kaka Cronaldo

Benzema

then a bench of raul, other diarra, higuain, gago, any of the dutchies who don't get sold etc etc. If that side gels it will be scary.

They're after Arbeloa from Liverpool, as well. That attacking line and midfield is so sexy, but it would be interesting to see how the whole team would work in terms of defence. I'm not convinced about that back-line, but then, Diarra and (potentially) Alonso would provide good cover for the back four.

Heh, how many football fans will be willing Barcelona to win everything in Spain again next season?

I read in The Sun that Birmingham were offering Patrick Vieira £100k a week to join them.

Never has there been such obvious fabrication! :laughing:

There's a classic story that I read earlier where Bayern's executive chairman said: ""Personally, I read Franck's statement like that: either Real Madrid or nothing. And our clear reply is: nothing!"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5412331,00.html

Personally, I think he will go. Me and my brother have a little game going on where we try and predict whether or not the players will go, and how much for. I've gone out on a limb and said that Ribery will go to Real Madrid for 60 million. My brother thinks 50, and he's probably right, but I think Bayern will hold strong and firm, and will try and get 60.

We've also got another side-bet on Alonso leaving Liverpool for Madrid. I think he'll go for 35, but it really depends on whether or not any other Liverpool players leave. If Mascherano leaves for Barcelona, I can't see Liverpool letting Alonso go either.

There's also a rumour going around that Manchester United will pick up Michael Owen for free, and on relatively low wages. Dunno quite how I feel about that one, though.

why would you want owen? The guy is clearly finished at when it comes to playing at the top top level.

Clubs like Hull and Stoke are right for him..

why would you want owen? The guy is clearly finished at when it comes to playing at the top top level.

Clubs like Hull and Stoke are right for him..

That's why I said at the end, I dunno how I feel about that. He wouldn't be a regular first team player, but he could suit the role of an impact sub quite well, maybe? Or, when Rooney or Berba pick up injuries/need rest.

It would be low risk, since we wouldn't need to slap out loads of cash for him. If his wages were kept relatively low, it wouldn't be such an awful deal, I think.

As a player himself, the problem is fitness. Its plagued his career, but it wouldn't be so much of a problem here as he wouldn't be a first teamer anyway. The guy can finish, which is something we kinda lack, I think.

Like I mentioned, it's just a rumour. But, there is some sense in there...somewhere.

SSN are all over united being in talks with Owen atm. Not that, that means its true I guess. Would rather have a half fit Owen then Berbatov based on last season personally.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2517858.0.100m_TV_deal_with_ESPN_and_Sky_safeguards_SPL_finances.php

The Scottish Premier League was last night haggling with BSkyB and ESPN over the finer details of a £100m joint broadcast deal.

An announcement could be made over the weekend that would see the financial stability of the 12-team top division being safeguarded for the next five years.

BSkyB and ESPN have teamed up to buy the rights that had reverted to the SPL after the collapse of Setanta Sports' UK operation. It had defaulted on a £3m payment from last season and, after an unsuccessful refinancing plan, was forced to relinquish its rights to screen live Clydesdale Bank Premier League football.

Setanta had been committed to paying £13.5m for next year's live coverage and had agreed a record-breaking deal worth £125m over four years. Now, after its demise, the member clubs will split around £20m per year with the new joint deal, which represents a £6.5m increase on the existing deal.

Media analysts last night told The Herald that the offer was irresistible to the SPL, not least because of the lack of competition. The sheer scale of the deal Setanta promised but could not deliver had also given a skewed perspective of the true value on the rights.

The SPL, BSkyB and ESPN refused to comment on developments last night and the news came as a surprise to some SPL chairmen, who had not been informed of the joint venture by the governing body. The main issue now is how the 60-game package will be split between the channels, which already have a production agreement that will enable a smooth crossover.

It is believed ESPN may have rights to most of the matches, since BSkyB already broadcasts 450 live games per season and has fewer available schedule slots .

BSkyB could still supply around half the total revenue but for this privilege would insist on exclusive coverage of the four Old Firm league games, the flagship matches of the season. ESPN would effectively screen the majority of the away matches involving Rangers and Celtic.

Consumers have expressed concern over having to pay a double subscription to watch games across both channels, but an existing wholesale agreement with ESPN means BSkyB will show the channel as an extension of the sports package.

The concerns following Ofcom's ruling last week that sports and movie fans should be able to pay to watch Sky TV content on any channel.

The watchdog said the satellite broadcaster is thought to be charging high prices to competitors for the use of premium content which had a "detrimental effect on consumers" by reducing choice and innovation.

Wouldn't mind someone like Fabiano, Owen is just.... he's just....... owen.

Wouldn't mind someone like Fabiano, Owen is just.... he's just....... owen.

There's been a few other rumours circulating that links Fabiano to United, but everyone is just linked here/there nowadays. Still, he looked good in the confederations cup, but I question whether or not he could do it in the Premier League.

Owen Has Signed

When I saw the news about him at Carrington this morning, I told my brother he would sign before the weekend. Heh. Mystic_LiNk.

Overall, a nice little bit of business, imo. He's relatively low-risk: we picked him up on a free transfer, he'll happily sit on the bench and wait his turn, and when needed he could pop up with the goals. Also, we wouldn't have wasted that much money on him if he doesn't do well.

I feel we still need another two players. A central midfield, maybe, and another winger.

This will be like Real for Owen all over again... surely he's never gonna play.

And why should he!... season after season of injury and imo he's never regained his true form, and nor will he without matches.

The guy can finish, which is something we kinda lack, I think.

I'd question that, he's nowhere near as sharp as he used to be, and I hardly think United struggle as it is... Rooney looks to be back on true form given his latest England performances.

This will be like Real for Owen all over again... surely he's never gonna play.

And why should he!... season after season of injury and imo he's never regained his true form, and nor will he without matches.

I'd question that, he's nowhere near as sharp as he used to be, and I hardly think United struggle as it is... Rooney looks to be back on true form given his latest England performances.

He's being bought as an additional striker, not as the main one. He's not going to displace Berbatov and Rooney, but he'll play a good role as a substitute, I think.

He's never regained his true form, and if anyone is expecting the striker from 98 or 2001, then they're in for a huge disappointment. But, he knows where the back of the net is. Considering the chances that a team like United can create, I can see him being given plenty of opportunities to score goals.

Rooney has performed well in his England performance, and given that he and Berbatov are now the main striking partnership, he should replicate that at United, too. But, what Owen does is he gives the team another option. If the score is 0-0 with 10 minutes to go, sometimes it'll be worth a gamble putting on another striker. Given that so many players of the team are so young (Macheda, Wellbeck, Manucho, Campbell), he gives you another option. Even if it's someone to tap the ball in from 5 yards. He knows where the goal is, and he won't drift from the box.

For someone who "never played" for Real Madrid amazing he played 35 games for them in one season really. If he keeps fit and I really think a lot of his injuries where down to the shambles of a club he was playing for I reckon hell get at least 35 matches for united. Actually im going to call it now, Michael Owen will play in at least 40 matches and score at least 15 goals for Manchester United next season.