NEurope

David Villa is not for sale, Valencia declare in dramatic turnaround

Nice. Looks like Real are going to have to dig deep.

I can't see Valencia keeping hold of him, they're in terrible money problems, sometihng like £600m debt, they're just trying to milk more out of the clubs coming in for him. And fair play, if clubs are going to start throwing stupid money about, teams should take the piss out of them.

We finally sign Vermalaen, thats one position I highlighted at the end of the season. Get us a defensive midfielder Mr Wenger and I'll be happy.

I've been following that quite closely. He's Belgian, heh, so I kinda follow anything football and Belgian related these days, as I now somewhat have links there. He looks to be one who should settle in well at Arsenal, I think.

Anyway, I'm finding the Glen Johnson "saga" quite interesting to follow, too. First off, why are Chelsea thinking of buying him back? Has Bosingwa just not worked, or something? Secondly, buying back your own players who you let go is a bit of a weird practice, I think. It's almost like the club admitting that they were wrong to sell them. Although, if United bought Rossi back to the club, I would be happy.

Personally, I'd like to see the player stay at Pompey, but I think that's very unlikely now.

Also, the David Villa/Vee-ya talk has been interesting, too. Personally, I think we've seen that any player can be "obtained" now, for the right price. The problem is that contracts just generally mean fuck all nowadays. There's contracts, then there's clauses in those contracts, then buy out clauses, then small print. I find the Kaka deal very strange, since he was adamant last season that he would be staying at AC Milan rather than joining Manchester City. Infact, I remember the critics and journalists praised him for staying there. Now, this season, he's moved to Real Madrid...and nobody has battered an eye-lid. You could also say that his transfer is in the shadow of Ronaldo's, but I find that extremely puzzling.

Also, the David Villa/Vee-ya talk has been interesting, too. Personally, I think we've seen that any player can be "obtained" now, for the right price. The problem is that contracts just generally mean fuck all nowadays. There's contracts, then there's clauses in those contracts, then buy out clauses, then small print. I find the Kaka deal very strange, since he was adamant last season that he would be staying at AC Milan rather than joining Manchester City. Infact, I remember the critics and journalists praised him for staying there. Now, this season, he's moved to Real Madrid...and nobody has battered an eye-lid. You could also say that his transfer is in the shadow of Ronaldo's, but I find that extremely puzzling.

Kaka has said he moved because Meeeeeeeeeeeeeelan have no money and by leaving he got them a shit load of cash. so he said leaving was int he best interests of the club.

Kaka has said he moved because Meeeeeeeeeeeeeelan have no money and by leaving he got them a shit load of cash. so he said leaving was int he best interests of the club.

I didn't actually know that, and now I do see the transfer is a whole different light. Was that hugely publicised, because I don't remember seeing anything about that at all.

I didn't actually know that, and now I do see the transfer is a whole different light. Was that hugely publicised, because I don't remember seeing anything about that at all.

I assume so, I remember seeing it on sky sports news. Anyway Ze googles

Brazilian playmaker Kaka that he was leaving Milan for Real Madrid on good terms and he understood that financial worries had forced the Italian club to sell him.

"I'm not disappointed in my relationship with Milan," he said in the Brazil team hotel in Recife.

"There has never been a (financial) crisis like this one, I understand perfectly the club's position and I'm very grateful to Milan and the president," added Kaka, who joined the Rossoneri in 2003.

The 27-year-old has agreed to a six-year contract to join Real, which reports have said involves a transfer fee of around 68 million euros (£58 million), the second biggest ever.

Zinedine Zidane joined Real from Juventus for around 73m in 2001.

"I've won everything that I wanted as a player and this is a new motivation for me," Kaka said.

"The club needed to make this sacrifice, and I understand this very well. I don't blame the club for this.

"Everything I've done for Milan has been by mutual agreement, from the moment I arrived until my departure today."

"I'm leaving by the front door."

Kaka, who scored in a 4-0 win in Uruguay on Saturday, is with Brazil's squad for the World Cup qualifier at home to Paraguay on Wednesday.

He said he was sure he could help his new club, overshadowed this season by treble-winning Barcelona, become a major force in Spanish and European football again.

"I'm sure Real Madrid will build a competitive team which can start winning titles again as they have always done throughout the club's history," he said.

"I'm sure Real can become major competitors in Spain and in European football."

Kaka brushed off a suggestion that he could wear the coveted number five shirt previously worn by Zidane and said the Frenchman would be an example to him.

"I don't know what number, I'll take my time choosing it and I'll respect the numbers," he said.

"I'm grateful for the five (suggestion), but I think Zidane is Zidane. To avoid any type of comparison, I'm going to try and write my own history. But Zidane will serve as an example to me."

He also had encouraging words for Milan's new coach Leonardo.

"Leonardo will have been a player, director and coach of the same club and I don't think many have achieved that.

"I hope I'm helping because there will be some money coming into the till. Leonardo has the ability to keep Milan on the right track."

Flink Me

Anyway, I'm finding the Glen Johnson "saga" quite interesting to follow, too. First off, why are Chelsea thinking of buying him back? Has Bosingwa just not worked, or something? Secondly, buying back your own players who you let go is a bit of a weird practice, I think. It's almost like the club admitting that they were wrong to sell them. Although, if United bought Rossi back to the club, I would be happy.

The Johnson thing is interesting, Bayern have put in a bid for Bosingwa and Chelsea seem not to be putting up much as a fight. I thought he was one of their stand out players of last season. Regarding Rossi, i think their is a difference when put in a buy back clause however I don't think he will be coming back. He left because he wasn't getting started first team and if he came back he would only be on the bench again.

Setanta's gone then.

Had till 5pm to pay up but didn't so the prem league gave them an extension till 6pm but they still couldn't get the funds together so they said tata to them.

Rest of the prem league games are now up for auction and the winner will be announced on monday.

Scots prem and blue square prem and other sports such as boxing will also be going.

Linkage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8109954.stm

Setanta's gone then.

Had till 5pm to pay up but didn't so the prem league gave them an extension till 6pm but they still couldn't get the funds together so they said tata to them.

Rest of the prem league games are now up for auction and the winner will be announced on monday.

Scots prem and blue square prem and other sports such as boxing will also be going.

Linkage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8109954.stm

Think a cancellation is coming up.

The Setanta thing is quite a blow for Scottish football. Apparently there could be as many as 3 clubs at risk of going into administration if they don't get the Setanta money.

Finance is Scottish football is a big problem overall. My local club Livingston had their power cut off the other day because they couldn't pay the leccy bill.

With no EPL coverage Setanta are pretty much dead. Huge cancellations and no new subscriptions.

I want them to survive as they are the only channel that will support French and German football. I am gonna ask for a reduction before I cancel.

Hope the SPL can get a deal with SKY although I am not sure where SKY is gonna fit them in on there schedule. SPL should of never left SKY when they did. Huge mistake on there part.

ESPN and Sky are understood to have tabled bids for television rights to SPL matches currently held by Setanta Sports.

According to press reports, ESPN has offered 90% of the £125m paid by Setanta for the television rights to SPL matches for four years starting in 2010. Sky is reported to have offered between 60% and 70% of the amount.

Lex Gold, executive chairman of the Scottish Premier League, said the SPL was "still in discussions with Setanta" which he expected to "conclude early next week".

Edited by khilafah

So Tevez is off.

We apparently agreed to pay the 25m but he decided to go anyway. I don't blame him, He is a guy that wants to play football week in week out and puts his heart and soul into every game. I feel even if he did sign for us Fergie would still sit him on the bench prefering to start with Rooney and Berba.

There is also the rumour that he wanted to have about 120,000 a week and we said no.

Good luck to him. Just hope he don't end up at City or Rafapool. But I reckon he will :(

Linkage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8110740.stm

So Tevez is off.

We apparently agreed to pay the 25m but he decided to go anyway. I don't blame him, He is a guy that wants to play football week in week out and puts his heart and soul into every game. I feel even if he did sign for us Fergie would still sit him on the bench prefering to start with Rooney and Berba.

There is also the rumour that he wanted to have about 120,000 a week and we said no.

Good luck to him. Just hope he don't end up at City or Rafapool. But I reckon he will :(

Linkage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8110740.stm

We offered him plenty of money. He was going to become one of the best paid players at OT.

He's not going 'pool though.

Also, Kia Joorabchian has revealed that Carlos Tevez had to walk away from Manchester United because he was not given enough time to consider their offer.

Bye Tevez. Who knows where he'll end up? Would be strange to see him at another club; don't see him signing for Liverpool or Man City though, too much respect for the fans.

Could see him possibly landing at Chelsea to be honest. Apparantly they're bidding for him anyway..

Noodles: Cheers for that. In that case, I do see the transfer in a different light.

Fresh: I agree with you about Rossi. Although, seeing him come on for Italy against the USA, he was a huge impact. He would be a great sub/impact player, but I think he wouldn't make the starting lineup, which is a shame. But, the trouble is when Wayne Rooney is fit, he pretty much always starts. So, there's only ever one space for another striker, and so he'd have fight for his firm place their.

Ok, so woke up this morning and heard about the Tevez news. I could completely understand about his choice to leave. And then, there came the further news that we offered him his £25.5million asking price and Five Year Deal.

Now, I'm at a bit of a loss. He wants to feel valued, so we offer to pay his asking price. 25 million is a fuck load of money to buy anyone. He wants to feel loved and part of the family. He got offered a five year deal!

I love Tevez, and it was always a boost seeing his name in the starting line-up. But, if he's going to snub that offer, then he's a bit of a fool if you ask me. Manchester United are a huge club/team, and we have quality players in each position, but there's also competition there.

Man City have just signed Roque Santa Cruz today in fact, and they also have Craig Bellamy, Robinho, Jo, Vassel, Benjani and Caideo as their registered forwards. Chelsea also have Drogba, Anelka, Kalou and Pizarro as their forwards. Wherever you go, you're going to have competition for your place, regardless of your price tag. That's part and parcel of being at a big team. He says about not being "part of the family" at Manchester United, but I'm not totally convinced of that. He's won trophies whilst being at the club, including the Champions League, and he has close friends there in the form of Park Ji Sung and Patrice Evra.

What exactly does he want? He's said various times that he wants an offer, and that he wants to be part of the family. As a club, United said they'd wait til June, or the end of his deal before making a move. His loan deal runs out on the end of June, and Gill has said for many months now that nothing would be decided until June came about. Well, June has come, and he hasn't taken the deal what was offered. If we had offered him a smaller deal or something he didn't ask for, I would understand it. But...he was being given exactly what he wanted, and he still didn't take it.

Oh, Carlos.

Sky have slashed the odds on him going to City to 1/10, it's going to happen. He doesn't want to leave Cheshire and he won't go to Liverpool so City is the answer. Plus they will pay anything for him.

Did you ever see this Flink?

Possibility my favourite Park/Evra/Tevez video

Sky have slashed the odds on him going to City to 1/10, it's going to happen. He doesn't want to leave Cheshire and he won't go to Liverpool so City is the answer. Plus they will pay anything for him.

Did you ever see this Flink?

Possibility my favourite Park/Evra/Tevez video

Yeah, I've seen that video. It made me chuckle and smile. :) There's also some good videos of Tevez and Anderson (Argentina vs. Brazil) playing a series of 3 games, including Connect 4 and Jenga, haha.

I think City will be his destination. But, I'm just bemused by the whole thing. I will not be surprised in the slightest if City sign him for 30 or so million, and offer him some huge deal. The winner in all of this is Carlos' agent.

Flink apparently Tevez didn't refuse the offer, but asked for more time to think about it, which I can understand, does he really want to commit himself to being an impact sub (essentially what he become - even though he deserves far more) for the next 5 years?

So Carlos/Kia, et all asked for more time and apparently United wouldn't agree to it, saying something like they need it sorted quickly and so the offer was mutually terminated, or something to that effect!

Plus United treated him pretty poorly. What guarentee does he have that he'll be starting more games than he did last season.

I'm sure Owen got offered a 3/5 year deal at Real Madrid... it doesn't guarantee you any love.

Flink apparently Tevez didn't refuse the offer, but asked for more time to think about it, which I can understand, does he really want to commit himself to being an impact sub (essentially what he become - even though he deserves far more) for the next 5 years?

So Carlos/Kia, et all asked for more time and apparently United wouldn't agree to it, saying something like they need it sorted quickly and so the offer was mutually terminated, or something to that effect!

I did hear that he wanted more time to think about it, and there was a great interview between Sky Sports News and Kia Joorabchian earlier today where the presenter asked him, "To think about what?" To me, it feels like my original fears were proved right to some extent, where Kia would still be looking for "the bigger offers" regardless of what was offered from United.

Carlos didn't start as many games last season, but he's not the only striker at United. The big three strikers of last season were Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov (even though Ronaldo did play the striker role, too, but we'll leave him out of the equation for one moment.) 3 into 2 doesn't go, so it was always going to be likely that either Tevez or Berbatov were going to be sacrified at some points. Regardless of that, Tevez still played 51 games (with 17 appearances as sub) and Berbatov played 45 (with 8). Rooney by comparison played 49 (with 10). That's not bad going at all, he was still getting the games. If you have 3 strikers worth around the 30 million mark each, especially with one (Berbatov) being brought in at the beginning of the season, it's nigh on impossible to please them all - unless you play them all in every game, which is just not possible. That's the downside of having players of that stature in your squad, you will have to sacrifice someone.

And, with regards to the offer, I wonder when that figure was offered to Tevez, and just how much time he was given with it. It seems like a "here's 25 million (what you asked for), and a five year deal, take it or leave it." Imo, he and his agent hesistated because they want to look at the other offers, notably from City. I just find it hard to believe that Carlos, who was a fan's favourite, who was reported as saying he wanted to stay (- although he has been reported to say he's wanted to leave, as well), who was so adamant that he deserved a long-term deal would think twice about taking that offer.

Plus United treated him pretty poorly. What guarentee does he have that he'll be starting more games than he did last season.

I'm sure Owen got offered a 3/5 year deal at Real Madrid... it doesn't guarantee you any love.

He hasn't started every game, but he has not been treated as poorly as it is being suggested. He's a big player playing for a team with other big players. If Rooney was out for the season, you can guarantee that Tevez would have started more games. At the start of this season, United bought Berbatov, because he adds another dimension to the team. Again, he cost a considerable amount. What sort of message does that send out to the fans, or even to the players if you bring someone like Berbatov to United and then leave him on the bench? If you play one player, at a team like United, you need to sacrifice another. It'll be exactly the same at Real Madrid next season, or Barcelona, or Chelsea. Big teams, big squads, expensive players...you can only play 11 at a time.

With Ronaldo now gone united could now play a more strict 4-3-3. We know it has been an idea Sir Alex has been playing with for some time and he did try it with Ronaldo however he wasn't quite right for it and with Tevez as well it didn't fit. However....

Rooney ---- Benzema

Berbatov

Could be an interesting option and the Lyon president at the moment seems to be suggesting towards United making an offer. This formation would allow everyone to play their natural position. Who to play behind them?

VDS

Brown -- Ferdinand -- Vidic -- Evra

Fletcher -- Carrick -- Anderson

Rooney --------------- Benzema

Berbatov

Then we always have the option of G. Nev, Evans, Rafa, Fabio, O'Shea, Scholes, Gibson, Possebon, Hargreaves, Nani (big hopes for him this season),Giggs, Park, Tosic, Ljajić, Macheda, Welbeck, Manucho and Campbell (Assuming he stays).

Hummmmmm...

We used the 4-3-3 a lot towards the end of last season. We used the system against Arsenal in the Champions League Semi-Final Second Leg, although I can't remember if we used it in the first leg, as well.

It's done well for us, but my instincts tell me that Fergie will still favour a 4-4-2, with the wingers and full-backs moving high up the field. We'll probably mix it up, somewhat.

I'm not sure who United will be bringing in, if anyone is to be brought in. Valencia and Benzema are two names who have been linked, along with the likes of Huntelaar, Sneijder and Villa. Whether any of these names come, I don't know. To me, the linking to these names doesn't mean very much until you see deals and offers in place.

With the squad that we currently have, here is what I'd have.

Van Der Sar

Rafael - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Park Ji Sung - Carrick - Anderson - Fletcher

Rooney - Berbatov.

A few things: Rafael has particularly impressed me, and I love how he gets forward. As an all-round player, Wes Brown is fantastic, but I prefer Rafael as a more attacking full-back. John O'shea has done well this season too, and I think when he does come in, he'll always do a good job.

Park and Fletcher I feel are very good in their roles. Fletcher perhaps does a lot better in the centre of the field, but I think he also does a good job out wide. The option is also there for Nani to play in that position, and when he's on his game he is very good. Problem with Nani is consistency.

Ljajic is looking to be very, very good, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him being implemented on the wing next season. From the sounds of things, he is going to be one of our brightest stars. :)

Personally, I think we need a winger, or just someone who can dominate on the flanks. More than anything, someone with a good end product, whether that's coming in-field and taking a shot on, or providing crosses. We need more of this.

Next season, I think we need Anderson to really take hold of his role and show us what he's made of. At the moment, I really like him, and I think he's a bluddy good player. But now, he needs to back that up with more match-winning performances. A few goals wouldn't go a-miss either. :D